You Should Stop Hating Your Body. NOW

By Kirti Joshi: 

Body hate is inculcated and accepted at a very young age; killing our sense of self-esteem and self-respect, teaching us that we must change in order to be okay but we do not acknowledge this mere fact that a certain kind of body type which is okay for me may not be okay for you so there is no such absolute perfection of body type. If body type defined the personality and character of a person then models and actor/actress would be the only humanitarians existing in this world.

body acceptance

Jes Baker a blogger form Tucson Arizona, United States of America says that internet is an open forum and the only media that doesn’t have a universal one sided skew. On December 2nd 2013, she wrote an article on her blog about hatred towards fat people and why it needs to be stopped and she has started a project about body shamming where a photo series was posted on the Facebook page named as Bodies Aren’t Ugly. Bullying Is‘, She believes that all body inequality has a lasting effect on every single person involved. She tells how we’ve learned to hate certain shapes and sizes and for that she says American history and the economic story are responsible. We have been given an idyllic body that is presented as a perfect body type and we are told that we must somehow achieve this impossible physique to please others but the day we start demoralizing ourselves for our own body type then we will never be accepted by the society in any shape/size.

The most shocking result that she got in the survey was that 81% of 10-year-olds were afraid of being fat and they were more afraid of fat than they are of cancer, war, or losing both of their parents. A person has rights and should be treated equally regardless of whether they are overweight or not so fat people didn’t feel the need to justify being fat. There is no truth in the lie that certain bodies are good and certain bodies are bad. All bodies just are, whatever that looks like.

She rightly points out in the article that every body type is a perfect body. There isn’t any wrong or “more right” way to be. I believe that you will love everything about this project as it stands for an amazing cause which is created online so just join in to a part of the social revolution and celebrate whatever your body type is and stop the hate, especially the self-hatred.

Join the project here. 

1. Rashi Mathew

Fat people – the first thing that comes into most of our minds when we hear this is a really fat person, really ugly etc. Is that always the case? Ofcourse,not. My own mother is overweight. But that doesn’t mean she isn’t happy with herself or hates her body or curses herself. She is instead proud of the fact that she is the best mother in the world according to her children. No matter how,one looks , its the personality, love for,each other, intelligence that really matters in the real world. Looks are deceptive. A woman with the best figure, perfect hair, may not even know how to make simple tea. What’s the use of such a woman? What has she contributed to the world other than just being another good looking lady? Making a difference in the world matters,most. Do as much as you can,for your society, for the world that you live in. How you appear to the opposite gender and everyone around you is a trivial thing. Hate surrounds us in all forms, everywhere, everytime. Its important how we deal with it. Let nothing in this world hold you back from showing everyone what you’re capable of and not,judge you for what you look like,or what you were born with. Be yourself. Be happy.

1. Pragmatic_Dreamer

I like what you tried to imply in your comment. You are absolutely right when you say, “Be Yourself & Be Happy”.
      However, the fact that you think a woman with a good figure, hair etc who can’t make tea is of “no use” is actually kind of just adding to the shaming culture we are living in.
      Ultimately it is like you said, be happy with who you are, whether it is just another woman who has contributed to being just another pretty girl in the world or a woman who doesn’t fit the industry’s standards of “beautiful”…

2. Rashi Mathew

Yeah well, what i tried to imply exactly by that was that contributing to society matters more than what one looks like.. And thank you 🙂

By Shrsti Tiwari

By Ashi Gupta