This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shruti Sharma. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Homosexuality Is Well Documented In Indian Mythology, It Is Not A ‘Western Influence’!

By Shruti Sharma:

Ancient India’s acceptance and accommodation of many forms of eroticism within its culture, including homo eroticism, has been well documented in early Sanskrit writings, art and architecture. This makes modern-day India’s sexual puritanism and homophobia, which reached its zenith in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, all the more astounding. In today’s world, India has been relegated to the level of the most backward countries in the sphere of personal liberties, and one might wonder how such a drastic change could ever have come about. Through careful examination, India’s long and troubled past reveals a gradual descent into puritanism and homophobia due to caste consciousness and foreign religious influence. The following is a brief timeline summarizing the history of India and its deteriorating attitude toward people of the third sex.

At the Lakshmana temple in Khajuraho (954 CE), a man receives fellatio from a seated male as part of an orgiastic scene.

In my opinion, homosexuality is not a person’s own choice. Knowingly or unknowingly, homosexuality has been prevailing in the world for centuries. But here in India, a homosexual is always looked down upon. The reason being simple, people here are ill informed on this particular issue. The legends, the mythology everything here describes homosexuality as a taboo. It is kept hidden as the people are afraid to accept something that they have been conditioned to despise. Some people claim that it is curable, but it’s a part of the person’s personality. How can one possibly change that?

In my opinion, it’s not the stories that are blocking the people’s mind about these things. It’s the lack of knowledge and information. Everyone should have a right to live a happy and normal life.

When it comes to homophobia, we hear a lot of stories from the west. But in India, the most homophobic stories come from within a homosexual’s family who are not ready to accept their sexuality. And of course, the mental torture about who will lead the lineage is a big question in people’s minds here. In such a situation, can they really be considered homophobic? Would they change opinions if they are educated about the happenings and aftermath of their hatred for homosexuality? We should try to broaden our minds. These people need our support and approval to come out and live a life of honour. And for the sake of humanity, we must not deny them that.

1. adya00

Things had already started to degrade, but the British laws about homosexuality and their colonisation of the Indian Mind had a lot to do with this fear.

2. Vishali

You hit the nail on the point of foreign religious influence.Ive been arguing for years about it.But I’m just branded as a communal person.But the reality is this homophobia had I creased because of Islamic and British rule,there is no point in denying that.Socities all over the world such as Egypt,Rome,Greece (Athens particularly cause Sparta is debatable),and even native Americans accepted Homosexuality.Only the Semitic people seemed to regard it as unnatural.

1. adya00

yes, in fact many native American tribes, (the real Americans as I like to call them), are completely ok with same sex marriages. It is Christianity and Islam is particular who caused problems.

2. adya00

Just realised you’d already written about native Americans 🙂
      and Islam in*

3. sara

Hi Shruti, interesting and good message article, very needed. I would like to know more about the brief timeline summarizing the history of India and its deteriorating attitude toward people of the third sex…

1. shruti sharma

Thank you Sara, I will get to you soon about that.

2. adya00

People of the third were revered in India. In fact celebrations were and still are at many places considered incomplete without their blessings. Ancient India made a religious rule so as to give the third sex a proper place in society. Thus people would happily give them money when say a baby was born, or a wedding takes place. Unfortunately with time and esp since after colonisation we started becoming afraid of this third sex. Which in turn also meant that these people had no source of income. So today many times they haggle for money, are involved in illegal activities. You see they can’t even fill up a basic form because their is no provision for a third sex. Only male or female. And this is the state globally. And its a sad state.

4. passionatelysmart

The point I have to mention is that the people of third sex behave as if they have changed their s** for this purpose. If you are a man and love and man it is fine. if you are a woman and love one, it is fine. But don’t try to change yourselves. Homosexuality is about liking yourself for who you are and like someone else like you. So please don’t try to think people of the third category are homosexual, they despise themselves. Accept what God has given you, and be fine with it. dont try to change it. That’s not called Homosexuality. It is just about liking someone. Men who behave as women and flirt with other men have taken themselves to be wrong. I believe in Love, and it is not important for it to be a normal one.
    Have you seen these people in train, do you know what kind of money they ask, do you know to what extent they go to for taking your money. So, please do not have pity on them with this attitude. They should also learn to live a life of dignity and stop hating themselves. They next time you see them, please tell them it is ok to be how you are, but it is not good working like this. Don’t you have anything else in mind, please earn respect.
    And for God’s sake, please do not call these people homosexual. For real homosexuals, homosexuality is a kind of love. it is not business!
    See, the picture once again, both are men, and both are fine with it.

1. adya00

Wonderful thought!

2. passionatelysmart

Thnks. Hope I have cleared up some points brought in the comments below. Remeberm Loving someone is never a business!

5. Rajat

The law decriminalizing homosexuality (Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code) dates back to 1863, and that came from King James’ Bible. It has absolutely no relevance to our culture. So, homosexuality Is not a ‘Western Influence’, homophobia apparently is.

1. adya00

Someone else also knows this. Happy to know 🙂

6. saddha

Oh please! Homosexuality is pure lust unlike heterosexuality which can lead to procreation. Homosexuality results from excessive lust and unless we control it it will destroy human civilization like the plague.

1. saddha

Also I am surprised that a disgusting image from a disgusting temple during India’s lowest time built by neo Hindu converts is being used to justify this behavior. Love and lust are 2 separate things. It is thought that homosexuality came from Greek and Islamic influence after NOT from Vedic/Buddhist/Jain people’s.

2. adya00

Low time of Hinduism. pls do elaborate.

3. freethinker

did you know that homosexuality is evident in other species of animals too? for instance primates such as chimpanzees exhibit homosexual tendencies. but i suppose those monkeys would have to be islamic or greek, am i right?

grow up, and calm down.

4. Roma

In disagreement towards your thinking & perception about homosexuality, I wonder what you have to say about sex being legal at the age of 15. Do you really think that being heterosexual though is a part of Indian culture? Besides, you don’t belong to the oldest age of Hinduism to justify what would have happened that these idols were made. There is definitely some history behind this which we (and especially you) are not aware of. Perhaps, the homosexuality did come from the Greek & Islamic influence but the fact cannot be ignored that it has been a part of us (the Hindus) sometime back that these idols were made & kept in the TEMPLES. For heaven’s sake, widen your horizons of knowledge to give such an ignorant comment!!

5. shrudness

Educate yourself, lady/man; Homosexuality DOES NOT come from excessive lust. It has been proven that your sexual nature can reside in your genes too. And I really hope homosexuality can prevent the existence of ignorant bigots like you.

6. Sumit

I am a researcher and working on genes and behavior. Sexuality can be visualized as being governed by both genetic and environmental factors (Cultures and practices etc). Male and female sex determination is a complex process and sometimes the neurons are hardwired differently. When translated to psychoanalysts and their cultural treatment these genetic difference are less talked about and hence all the commotion. Desires can be controlled but preferences is what guides you. No one said that two gay people are not in love with each other and can’t feel emotions. They can be intelligent, successful, kindhearted or bad people, just like any other human beings. Sexuality does not dictates your existence.

7. adya00

Wow. So u the whole point of being human is to have babies, and more babies, which you know is what animals do too.
    And then sex between a woman and man, if one of them or both of them are infertile, is also lust since they can’t bear children?
    And, the only purpose of sex is children?

8. mododavid

“the following is”… where is the timeline? There’s no link or timeline in the story.

9. jhbj

tottally rubish JUST READ ALL YOUR LINKS = THERES NOT A SINGLE CASE OF HOMO SEX IN THE SCRIPTURES….. all the data is a homosinterpretion of events… AS FAR AS SCULPTURES NOT A SINGLE CASE OF ANAL SEX ———– WHICH IS WHAT IS BEING BANNED………..thanks for showing the real reality of homo in hinduism

More from Shruti Sharma

By Deepak Kumar

By Amrit Mahapatra

By Syedstauheed