This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Venkatesan Parthasarathy. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Reasons Why We Should Look Forward To Fresh Polls In Delhi

More from Venkatesan Parthasarathy

By Venkatesan Parthasarathy:

Robert Orben, the speech writer for Former US President Gerald Ford, once asked, “Do you ever get the feeling that the only reason we have elections is to find out if the polls were right?” Dear Orben, I currently have that feeling.

By now, it is well known that the recent poll threw up a hung assembly in Delhi. No single party is in a position to stake claim for forming the government on its own. The BJP declared yesterday, that it is passing up the opportunity as it didn’t have the requisite numbers. Next up for the Lieutenant General, Najeeb Jung, is a rendezvous with Arvind Kejriwal, the man whose party stood next to BJP in the overall tally.

Having the majority is one thing, but possessing people’s mandate is the real thing. The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), surpassing neutral observer’s expectations although may not have the majority, but it is no rocket science to decode that they have the mandate of Delhi’s citizens. In a way, this resembles the 2000 election of George W. Bush (Jnr.), when he won the US Presidency despite trailing Democrat Al Gore in popular votes.

notanew-ss-4-12-13

However, not appearing to jump the gun, it is fair to state that AAP deserves to form the next government. Kejriwal, on his part has steadfastly maintained that he will neither support, nor seek the support of other parties. But whether that’s his final stance or not, remains to be seen and this predicament indeed is my primary concern.

In the present scenario, the National capital is bound to go to another round of polls. Now, holding fresh elections is no small deal is agreed. It involves huge logistics least of which involves tremendous expenditure and resources. But, should that deter us from seeking a government capable of standing on its own legs?

Even if a government is formed on the basis of outside support, it is for obvious reasons, a sitting duck. Arriving at the stage with a promise to cleanse the system, AAP needs to be accorded due plaudits for its achievements and equally, brickbats for its failure. If in the event that the party hides behind a coalition, how else can it be held accountable? One can objectively evaluate the performance if and only if the party makes its own decisions. The least I expect therefore is that the confidence reposed in the newest party on the block, by the people of Delhi be repaid in full.

Indeed, it is real pity that any potential re-poll is not a run-off, but a fresh round inclusive of the rejected parties (read Congress.) A run-off would have been a good reflection of the people’s clearest preference. Having said, AAP should have no qualms over the upcoming elections, as we know the direction in which the hot air is currently blowing. But then, Indian politics or for that matter politics in general doesn’t conform to any predictions. Does it?

1. Manan Shishodia

The cost of having re-elections is an exorbitant amount of 100 crores. Taking your arguments into consideration, do you think AAP(assuming it actually wins) will be good when it comes to governance as it is formed solely out of cynicism and has focused a bit too much on ‘idealism’?

1. Pavan Mayur

Re election may cost 100 crores , but what about the time, money we will lost once congress or bjp comes into power.There are lacs and thousand’s of crores is being looted by politicians every year, why are you bothering for 100 crores? Still now we have given chance to devils and moreo ver we know the established parties are devils and we gave them power. Why cannot people believe a party which believes firmly on good governance for making India a better Place? The AAP will be definitely do deliver good governance because everyone of the candidate is educated unlike the established parties candidates. There are many new comers in the politics, there are IAS’s and efficient persons who assist the MLA’a and MP’s for making policies and laws.Do not worry .

2. John A Raju

A re election is obviously in AAPs interest. Noone expected them to do this well. A re election would mean that the anti Congress votes garnered by the BJP would also turn towards AAP. I agree with your sentiment that this fledgling party that is professing clean politics deserves another chance from the people and it does have the ability to make a re election count in its favour.

3. Ishan

Where does Rs 100 crore stand compared to any of the scams like coal gate and 2g spectrum?

More from Venkatesan Parthasarathy

By Mihika Rohatgi

By Archana Gupta

By Jaimine