This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Adya Vac. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Would Never Want A Husband Like Ram, He Was Far From The ‘Maryada Purushottam’!

More from Adya Vac

By Adya Vac:

A huge amount of literature and opinions have come up in reference to Sita, her plight, and Ram’s actions against her. It is thus not a new facet to us when I say that when Ram kicked Sita out, he lost the right to be called the ideal husband. And then there are other statements, if Sita were not kidnapped then Ramayan wouldn’t have happened and Ravan could not have been killed. That even when Ram sent Sita to exile, and eventually to her death, he pined for her and never married again. Then there is this, an excerpt of an article I read online

Agni pariksha of sita

“She is not just a daughter, wife and mother. She is also a sage. She quietly watches the toll that cultural rules and values take on her husband…and ends up playing the ultimate victim…observes how people judge her silence as weakness, not the patient and affectionate acceptance of people’s shortcomings that stems from her confidence that they need her, while she does not really need them. Sita hears her husband and herself and realizes Ram is Vishnu, the dependable God, while she is Lakshmi, the independent Goddess. She has the capacity to bear the burden of all consequences. She is like the earth from which Janaka ploughed her out.”

[Here’s a link to the full article ]

What did I see in the article that infuriated me to no end? Once again I saw the same story repeated again, a woman as a damsel in distress.

The above article and many others like it attempt to portray Sita as a woman who was not weak, who did what she did for the greater good, but for how long can we hide the victimization of women underneath this pretext of the greater good? And who’s greater good are we talking about? People who did not think twice before calling her unfaithful. People today who don’t take a second to blame women for the monstrosities of society itself. Why should a woman take a fall for them? Why should a woman be blamed for trying to feed a sadhu when she had no clue who he truly was. And rather than blame and correct the world which pretends to be something other than what it is we resort to blame the woman, we resort to blame Sita.

Who is Sita? Sita is Lakshmi, she is no ‘ordinary woman’, but she is. Even after being a form of Adi Shakti, the primordial energy herself, she sits at Vishnu’s feet. Lakshmi has no limits of power. But when Sita sits in Ashok Vatika, she does not run away. She just waits so Ram can come kill Ravan and rescue her. But does anyone of you realise what Valmiki did? He sent a very clear message through his ‘epic’. Sita is nothing but a means to an end. That is what women have become over the ages. The means to have children, the means to have a clean home, the means to take care of children, the means to make sure property is passed only to sons, the means to sacrifice. A woman’s existence is only a corollary to another purpose, most likely a man’s purpose. A woman can be a goddess or have the potential of one, but she should never use that wit, intelligence or strength that resides in her. She should simply wait, to be rescued by a ‘dependable husband or a man‘. Did anyone ever question Ram and the people’s acceptance of Luv and Kush? If Sita’s character was doubted then the children could’ve been Ravan’s. Why did she have to die to prove that the children were Ram’s? Because her job was done, nothing more could be extracted out of her and she could be sacrificed no longer, she had outlived her ‘utility‘.

There are other versions of the Ramayan that say Sita was Vedavati reborn (a woman who killed herself in an attempt to save herself from the lust of Ravan), to take revenge on Ravan. Or a rebirth of Manivati (whose asceticism is destroyed by Ravan), as the daughter of Ravan, who was left to die in earth when it was foretold that she would be the doom of Ravan. It was from there that Janak found her. But where does Sita actively do anything to destroy Ravan? She just sits by while Ram does the necessary.

So yes, Sita is the ordinary everyday woman expected to pass agniparikhsa not once, but at every turn of her life, only to be scorned at and doubted again. She has the ability to bear every consequence, and the men use it as an excuse to pile upon her every misdeed of their own. The Agnipariksha was not a test of Sita’s character, it was a test of Ram as a husband, and the test of the people of Ayodhya. Sita may have passed the test, but neither did Ram nor did the people. Sita is the symbol of what the world of men judges to be wrong in themselves, and what they try to eliminate from themselves. And they fail, because Sita lived and lives on the fringes of society, reminding the people constantly of what is wrong within them. Till the time men don’t learn to accept their mistakes rather than putting them on the ‘Sitas‘, there will continue to be attempts for every woman to be used, tormented, just like Sita. And every woman will be expected to bear it all.

At this point or any other, I refuse to be Sita. I will adamantly kick up a fuss any and every time someone dares to say to me “may you have a husband like Ram”. I will not be a means to an end. I will be myself. I will not suffer for the faults of someone else.

1. passionatelysmart

I liked the very message conveyed. but these are epics that taught people the consequences of their beliefs, doubts and questions. That is the reason she got sidelined as she was not the main part of the story. But, your interpretation is very nice.

1. adya00

That’s the whole point, epics are all about male gods and their actions and their consequences, how did they forget half the population??? Tells us how self centered they must have been.

2. Vasim

I came back to this after such a long time. It took me 2.5 hours to read all the comments. 🙂

Nicely done,
      Idea of religion, spirituality are very strangely linked.
      even I have been always struggling to to identify if issues have to be judged by “logic and understanding” or “religious books without questioning or trying to understand why they have been written”.

I personally believe, if we come across some thought, we must first understand, “Why it came into existence” first, then judge if doing something should conflict.

Prophet Mohammad has said “All actions are governed by motives that prompted them”.
      When we interpret religious books, we must try to understand ideals, beliefs, and and “whys” behind something that is written.
      It brings us closer to our personal awakening.

“Its not about following what is written or to be done, its about understanding the greater truth and reasons.”

Meanwhile, is true every person has his own interpretation of things, and everyone must ultimately strive for harmony. PEACE is the ultimate message of humanity.

(I am sorry this is so vague and off topic, but had to write it 🙂 )

“Spirituality has questions that cannot be answered, Religion has answers that must not be questioned”

People lack using their own mind for understanding the purpose and sometimes blindly follow facts. It is your morality that will count later, not the way you prayed.

3. Rohit

I happen to be an illetrate when it comes to Vedas, Spiritualism, Hinduism, Rituals etc. etc. yes I did happen to go through most of the debate here. There are couple of points I understand and want to share:
      1. Hinduism has never been a rigid religion, it has assimilated things from outside and is ever changing.
      2. Hindu women are also trying to understand their new found status in the ever changing Indian environment.
      3. Men in India are now more confused with how to handle bold outgoing women than ever before.
      4. Incidences of crime is on the rise as mindset of men remain where it was v/s women who are rapidly evolving emotionaly & spiritualy.
      5. Hinduism as a religion is going to take a very different form in next 50yrs, as the gap between the role of women & men reduce.
      So I for sometime now … maybe next 20yrs or so (i.e. by the time the ones in school get into jobs)we will see a lot of settling down happening, in terms of conflict between what men should do & what women should do. Men and women will share lot of roles like earning, bringing up children, household work etc. That is when things will start equating up. Now about religion … probably some new scriptures will be written by every religion world over, to keep up with the times!
      You can find me on FB rohitchakrabarti@gmail.com

4. keshav

read durga saptshati and shri devi bhagawatam

5. Varun

I think that you have not understood the importance of Ramayana. It is not just an story but it teaches us loads of things which now a days are missing. You should appreciate only when you fully know about the importance of Ramayana. Just because it looks trendy for youth, we should not encourage anything bad in our samaaj…

2. Ankit

Thank you for writing this! It grinds my gears when people praise Ram to the skies and name him as the benchmark of an ideal husband. No one dares to question that why we continue to worship this idol in the name of culture/religion as it may offend some of the hardcore religious nuts and logically impaired people.
    Its the stories you tell to children, that makes up their thought process and logical reasoning.
    This message has been going on from generation to generation, that women are supposed to be at their husband’s feet and must do as they please. And even then their intentions and faithfulness will always be doubted no matter what. And people seem to have no problem with this ideology.
    It is so difficult to be able to speak your mind, when it comes to Ramayan, even in this 21st century. The video in the end just about sums it up.

1. adya00

You should see the movie, ‘Sita Sings the Blues’, kinda bland but worth a watch.
      And yes, the whole pativrata thing, ever wondered by no one says ‘I hope your wife always lives’ to a guy? Its always, sada suhagan raho.

2. Varun

Hi. if you will just look at the half aspect, you will never understand it fully. I hope you must have watched PK. In the starting of the movie, Anushka Sharma, looked at the letter and left thinking that her partner has betrayed us. To understand it completely, you have to read Ramayana. Otherwise there is no point in commenting anything. Ex – if a person sitting in Kanpur for the whole life says that White house is not white. really doesn’t makes sense. Please don’t take it offensive but I will request you to read Ramayana from your busy schedule so that you will get to know that what you have commented and is it right to comment on Ramayana or Mahabharata like this?

3. Akshat Seth

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p130x130/1379404_10202271659578760_1472784383_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p130x130/1380728_10202271659738764_203707016_n.jpg
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202271659338754&set=pcb.605802219478737&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf
    See this scanned pamphlets of The New Materialists, JNU.
    Well done. We want such blasphemous articles to be the order of the day.
    These scriptures which are nothing but bundles of heresy and sham used to manipulate the society and protect vested interests of the Brahmanical Chauvinistic misogynists. I am amazed why no Modi supporter has come with the cry of ‘Jai Shree Raam!’ and started with the slanders they’re so famous for.
    By the way here’s another post from the open group of TNM. (You should seriously join it):

“Lord Krishna stole the clothes of women while they were bathing in the Yamuna river. He did so to tease them and for the pleasure of watching the beauty of their naked bodies. We hang miniature paintings of the same act in our homes proudly. The young men who grow up seeing this, or listening to the story told in an amused tone are bound to not find such an act abhorrent. We also have a god, Shiva, who insisted on entering the bathing arena of Goddess Parvati and did so by eliminating a child who was keeping guard at the open door. Lord Ganesha is said to have emerged out of such a union. Is this right or wrong? Our mythology tells us that what a husband does is right, that his will is greater than the woman’s. If a mythological hero is praised for his acts of killing, drinking and fornicating with multiple women (like Indra did with Rambha, Urvashi, Menaka, Tilottama and so on), it is glorification of such behaviour.”
    http://roundtableindia.co.in/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7049%3Athe-roots-of-rape-in-india&catid=118%3Athought&Itemid=131

1. adya00

Thank you so much for sharing those pictures and article with me!!
      Though I have to admit I have issues with the leadership of Mohammed because he practically destroyed the tribal Arabic religions and faiths.
      But the article is very thought provoking, what did Ram really do? He just followed the customs of society and that’s where the problem lies, in India customs and society take too much precedence over individual rights, of not just women, but men too.

2. jiggar

adya00

dont think much.

learn to accept.

leadership of mohammed was only one sided, means he destroyed many races and many rights only to prove himself. Swami vivekanand has given lot of statements regarding him.

RAM IS RAM,

and ravana is Uncomparable to RAM.

Try to find out more about RAVANA, in searching websites, he is the great.

he has made mantras for lord shiva , which lord shiva liked.

3. adya00

Okay but what is your point?

4. Varun

To all the people, who thinks that they are much more respectable than Shiva, Rama and Krishna. I request to read about them rather than watching serial and movies for them, which shows anything. Once you read about them, you will be in a better position to comment about them. India is a democratic country but intelligent people think, inquire and discover before commenting. So to inquire and discover, these scriptures are still available (along with 5 point someone, which you must have read many times). My friend, please take out some time and read these scritpures in full and then surely, comment on their flaws. People will love to listen about them. But not before doing that. Otherwise it will a example that a boy sitting in a small town says that People in Washington are so cheap 🙂

4. Ravi Singh

Adya, firstly i must say a well written article. Let us first understand the origin of this epic, who wrote it…..a man. Secondly i am with you on the part that our Indian Gods society is male dominated is it?? I dont think so…. The goddess of wealth is Lakshmi, The godess of Shakti – Durga/kali, The goddess of Knowledge is Saraswati and there are many more to elaborate. i feel there are two way to look at it……get a learning from this whole story and never illtreat women a message for all men.

1. adya00

I would say comparatively Indian mythology does give a lot of emphasis to women, but then again, that is side lined No body uses Durga as an example, and that is very sad. Shakti is the foremost example, but I have issues with the fact that she took a human form to marry Shiv, I wish she hadn’t.
      There are two needs right now, to know more about Indian Mythology than the cliches, and to realise that while with scientific and technological advancement we have come so far, religion and philosophy also do and have to advance with time. Which means that say women were not treated well at some point in the past or because it is said in some book, does not mean it has to hold through forever, esp without the women making any rules that have everything to do with them.

2. manisha bhadoria

dear indian mythology is the only mythology which gives women its equal rights.tough not today as much in past.. in only indian mythology u would find that women is worshipped n till today . who dont they are not worth even mentioning. i think u are reading wrong material. n who says nobody uses durga as an example???? serosly?? she is considered as the supreme power of women. even shivji was forced to bow down in front of his wife when she was furious. there is a difference how women n men show dere loyalty to their better halves. women by being devoted to their husbands n husbands by bein loyal only to their wives.. n both have to listen to other one for better judgement. if religion would have to change with time then it is not religion. cz it itself is beyond time.
      religion is never wrong its followers are wrong. she came in human form two times. both the time to show world something. first as daughter of the man who hated vishnu.. to break her father’s arrogance. n then as parvati to keep her promise… sati promised parvati’s father that her daughter would be like her. but there could only be one sati.. so when she died she came back as parvati n was again renuited with her better half..shiva.

3. adya00

Agreed, we worship devi and the goddess, but do we treat the average woman with even half that respect? Why during kanya pujan only those girls are worshiped who haven’t started menstruating?
      Yes shiv did bow down in front of his wife, how many men do that? Dear friend, tell me how is a woman ‘supposed’ to be? Silent. quiet, always keeping the interests of the family ahead of hers. Is that right? Forget a woman, is that right even for a man?
      Change is the only permanent thing, do you honestly think that religion hasn’t changed? Did you know that the Vedas at one point prohibited building temples and idol worship? Did you know that caste was once not determined by birth but by deeds. Did you know that there has been reference found of Brahmins eating meat? Do you also know that Indian notion of religion is very British because not just India but the very Indian mentality was colonised?
      Last, you say a woman should be devoted to her husband what does that devotion mean? Equating him to a god?
      Yes both women and men have roles that were deemed necessary at the time, times have changed, roles are changing and we need to accept them. if a woman does not want to spend her life at her husband’s feet who are you to question that? If a man does not want to earn for the whole family and wants a working wife that’s okay with a lot of people. But if a woman says I want a man who will help me with the household and with children, how many men are okay with that?

4. Varun

Hi Ravi, your first sentence is even wrong. That a man wrote it. because of this, I will request you to read the scripture Ramayana completely and then comment. Otherwise, it will be like this that a toad of a well is commenting about a blue whale of an Ocean that I don’t know her and neither I am interested in knowing her 🙂

5. Akshat Seth

The TNM have their own ideological problems where they turn a blind eye to Islamofascism while sparing no pains in exposing Hindu Fascism. I do not agree with thir comlete perspective but they are still a better proposition than the ‘Patriotic’ Sanghis.

1. adya00

Patriotic Sanghis?

2. Akshat Seth

RSS yaar. All the right wing reactionary Hindus pretty much. We call them Sanghis, since they believe in the ideology of RSS. Ram Mandir and you know what 🙂

3. adya00

oooh that, yea. I wish they’d spend half their energies in doing some real work.

4. Varun

I think you are still confused that what is real work???

6. arpit goel

Loove It! Good job Adya. I think this is the most thought provoking piece I have ever come across. People who go ga-ga in the name of lord and their acts always get on my nerves. No wonder women in India are suppressed and are harassed in every way possible. Scriptures dictate and people follow. Nobody has the guts to question back.

Your article is like a symphony. So happy to find like-minded people here. If I was better articulated, I would have expressed the joy better. Heretic and proud!

1. adya00

Your words of praise will be well remembered!!! 🙂
      You might like to read this as well, http://adya00.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/sexual-objects/

7. Aniruddh Naik

Only one advice- Do read and watch Devdutta Patnaik to get a better perspective of what mythology is all about. It is a matter of perception; you see the half filled glass of water has ‘half-empty’ while others see it as as half-filled. If you want, you can keep looking into the nuances with presumptive proclivity towards finding malafide intent or you can improve your research by being more neutral. All the best

1. adya00

I would love to read his other articles and I will, but there is one point that I would like to put across, and that is the consequences of the effect of taking mythology for its word. Even if we assume that what happened then was ok, that does not mean it has to be ok now. Mythology can serve as pedestal for man to climb up to greater heights, but if it is pulling down anyone, be it a woman or a man, then is it assuredly not right.

8. Ishu Gupta

Young lady,choose your words wisely and be mature.Nobody gives a damn about you marrying any ordinary Ram or Ravan.You are not mother Sita,and you have no right to compare yourself to Sita.Just because you have access to write shit,which nobody censors does not mean you can write anything.Such a waste site this is,they are not even taking any responsibility of what author says.Listen i am registering a complaint against the site and you for playing with religious sentiments of the common man,and giving hate speeches.
    You need to learn a lesson.

1. Akshat Seth

Are Gurudev aap the kaha…..hum soch hi rahe the ki kyu ab tak Modi ke samarthak sanghi mentality ke veer purush chup baithe hain. Now listen carefully, if this has hurt your sentiments (Bechare kitne naazuk hain) than do look at the links I shared as well. They might be badly injured by the And one more thing-, keep the threatening and slanderous language that people like you are so accustomed to use. off the platform. It is not for people like you to decide what hurts religious sentiments and what doesn’t. Aur majedaar baat hai na mitra ki aap vaise to bharatiya sanskriti ki baatein karte hain par apni bhasha shaili me ek mahila se baat karte samay apni asliyat zaahir kar dete hain. Why don’t you live and lket live-UNCLE!

2. adya00

Akshat Seth! Thanks for the support man. Much appreciated 🙂

3. Akshat Seth

Anytime Adya.

4. Varun

please don’t fight buddy. this is not the place to fight, I guess. Also, I don’t know but it seems that these sangh people have harmed you on sometime because of which they are enemies for you. Rather than fighting here, I will advice you to go to RSS (address, you can find on google). they will take care of you very nicely :). But I would also say to everybody that please don’t use bad language for anybody without partiallty (a girl or a boy). Hope it makes sense to everybody – to youth as well 🙂

5. adya00

You’re not the only one with the right to speak up, its a democratic right. What are you going to say next? That the universe was created by Brahma and we never evolved and the earth was suddenly populated with humans?

9. Tulika Srivastava

its exactly same wot I used to think 🙂

10. manisha bhadoria

GOD!! how naive u are??? do u really think that u can undstnd what Ramji n sitaji did??? dere are even mythological facts which say that ramji told sitaji that he is going to put her in agnipariksha n that it would all be just for the naive people of ayodhaya like u who wont undstnd that sitaji is goddess n no one can even touch her. she is depicted in ramayan as the divine form without whom ram wont have been able to kill ravan. there are things that u would or me would never undstnd. u r ryt u can never be ram.. noone can be sita. nowdays it has become fashion to say i dont believe in god. fine dont n then be greator than him. i cant see anyone worshiping u n remembering u for a thousands of years!!! n u ask what she did in killing ravan??? sitaji is n eternal part of ramji. she is the source of power. without him he wouldnt be ram. ramji is ideal husband cz sitaji made him by showing her devotion to her husband n sitaji is ideal wife cz he made her ideal. but ofcrse u would alwz think that he banished her. he banished cz he had to set an example for his so called praja who wont undstnd things. a king is first a king..then anything else. they were separated only physically..n were eternally together. ramji set an example that for ur praja u have to be fare.. cz he wasnt able to show anyone what his wife was… they didnt have the eyes to see her. if people know that he is ram n she is sita…the supreme god n goddess they wont have questioned them. people dont believe in christ…he gave his life for them..but they dont trust him.. people beat up mohammed sahab cz they werent able to undstnd what he was..
    there is only one ram. one sita. or any god. but ur doubts wont have any effect on them. only on u. when u wud be in most difficult time then u would remember him.. u can say i worship shivji or krishnaji or someone else..but alwaz remember they all are same…

1. adya00

1. I don’t know enough maths to begin to count the grammatical mistakes you made.
      2. It is the fault of the praja, and for that fault, why should any human pay, be it a man or a woman. Would you be ok if someone forcibly asked you to donate your organs in the name of the greater good? Would you sacrifice your wife or mother or child or sister for that? Is the majority always right? Should one person suffer for many people?
      3. He should have corrected the people and not encouraged their misgivings. If your child does something wrong will you not correct him or her?
      4. Ramayan is at most the depiction of some events, we people keep talking about eternal life and life after death and heaven, only so we can mask our mistakes on this earth. We have one life thats given to us, and so was to Ram.
      5. If a king’s responsibility is only for his praja then he should not get married, why not elect monks? If he can’t do right by his wife than he has no right to have a wife.
      6. As I already said, Sita was Lakshmi, the form of Adi Shakti herself, why did she not kill Ravan?

2. Vasim

awesome. 🙂

3. Varun

Maám . thanks for your gyaanvaani, that we have given one life and that all. Can you please give a proof or something that proves it. You can also show or share some Intelligent class quotes saying it….I think you need to check your knowledge about it. please read and do come back with your knowledge 🙂

11. manish bhardwaj

hey ishu don’t you think this is a more liberal nation, if your sentiments are too fragile– go and live in any other country you should not and can’t intimidate a young lady. all thoughts need to be respected no matter how bitter you feel them.

1. adya00

You know I’m more surprised by the support I received from you and Akshat (being boys, no offence) than I was with the two guys drooling over Ram. Such dear countrymen is state of our nation. Reason and logic seem to have completely dissapeared from our minds, ironic, because we were a very scientific community in many aspects, thousands of years ago.

2. Varun

Hi manish, if all thoughts needs to be respected then why you people takes candle march on a rape case? It was a thought of a rapist to rape a female which came into action and then that unfortunate event happened. I think you should be very very careful with your words while sharing it with whole world. (everybody’s thoughts can’t be respected because if we will let it happen, then also you will face a problem as per the above example, if it happens with one of your close ones)

12. Sayendri Panchadhyayi

hey Adya00 well written and people who think it is hurting your religious sentiments then don’t log on to this site plzzzz it’s a humble request….

1. Akshu

@Sayendri, does this website stand symbolical of Blasphemy and baseless interpretations of mythology?? Your statement to public that “those who didnt like this article should not log onto this site” is completely rubbish !
      Ever try such a stuff on Islamic attitude towards Women… and the Muslim Brotherhood would slay your genitals !
      Remember one thing, If you (as an atheist) cant accept SHRI RAM as God, then kindly dont tamper the sentiments of those who consider Ram as God !

and Mr. Adya Vac, just because you want to write something doesnt mean you pen down any blasphemous stuff, start justifying it and Get your name published on this public portal !
      Your faith in more scientific world and distrust in Hindu religious world shouldn’t be a tool to de-link people from their faith, religion & God !
      Better read Ramayan & Ramcharit Maanas first ! It will explain you all the reasons for each act that was destined long ago and also why did it occur !

And for those who want to show off that they can too be creative (by undermining Ram), please join AIMIM and write articles for Asaduddin Owaisi !

2. Akshat Seth

Dear friend Akshu, aao kholein tumhare chakshu
      The assumption that criticizing aspects of Hindu mythology means endorsing Islamofascism is completely imagined. You are right, Islam and its dogmatic institutions have also been detrimental to women. It is not a case of one relgion against another but of the patriarchal beliefs reinforced by mythology.
      So although your sentiments might be really really hurt since they are too fragile to be so easily hurt, do not level accusations based on your own assumptions. This article does not endorse any religious position at all.

3. adya00

Does awareness of logic and reason equate to blasphemy for you? If I were to say right now that Brahman did not create the world and neither was Manu the father of the world and that shudras can enter temples, would you call that blasphemous as well?
      What about the blasphemy that such myths pose as to science?
      Do you even know that Hinduism was never a religion? Long ago many aspects of it were rooted in science which we seem to have forgotten.

4. Truth_will_prevail

Respected Madam,

1. Have you read the Ramayana completely and have at least tried to imbibe the truth and purity it simulates in every aspiring and sincere reader of the Ramayana.

2. And by reading one single ARTICLE, Madam it seems you have come to your ‘intelligent’ conclusion of declaring Ram as not an ideal Husband. Before coming to this conclusion have you done or gone through the process I mentioned in point one.

3. Have you consulted anyone and verified the facts and the apparent meaning hidden behind them (with a person who has some really good knowledge/ has done research on the Ramayana?)

Note: Madam, when you sit down to write an article on a subject, please verify the facts and research thoroughly on that particular subject, that’s part of your responsibility. Please try to fulfill it the next time you try to write an article.

Regards,

5. Akshat Seth

Respected sir
      Since you happen to have knowledge regarding the mythological scriptures and have a perspective you claim is not shared by the author, why don’t you do us the honor of explaining what in your view view is the correct interpretation of the scripture.

6. Truth_will_prevail

Dear Sir & Madam Author,

I can’t possibly spoon feed you both and waste my time trying to shed some light on your apparent ignorance. Why don’t you read the Ramayana first (online resources: just Google Ramayana) and try to show your smartness then. Instead of that, don’t just jump into any bandwagon of arguments just for your egoistic self sake.

Respectfully,
      Jai Sri Ram

7. adya00

On what basis are you calling me egoistic?
      And hey, we don’t believe in spoon feeding. That’s a regressive method to be taught and to teach.

8. Akshat Seth

Dear sir ‘truth’ will prevail
      Since you can’t possibly spoon feed US, who are condemned to burn in hell anyway so why don’t YOU show enough common sense and either read the views of Periyar and the Feminist literature that you might’ve never read (The same way as we haven’t read RAMAYANA) or not presume to instruct us regarding our smartness. Please don’t just start patronizing us to quench your ego in order to force us into conforming to what we consider as archaic value systems.
      Thank you revered
      Laal Salaam!

9. adya00

If you have read my article I have made it amply clear that this article is just one of the examples, though what is says is universal. This turmoil has been going on in my head since many years.
      Could you pls elaborate on what facts I have got wrong?

10. Aman

Do not send personalized emails,and read this
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_India

13. nayal16

one thing liberals need to understand is never to make mockery of religion.

1. adya00

One thing religious people need to understand is to never make fun of logic and reason and human rights.

14. naval

Well its good….. its not something on mohammad … darn you would have started world wide riots and protests 🙂 …

1. Akshat Seth

Well mohammed was a very clever political leader who knew how to take advantages of situations. Let’s see for the riots then.

15. Saketh

I just wanted to know if, you think that the whole idea of ramayana was to cleverly embed the fact women are to be suppressed , then i guess you have never read, leave alone read but i dont even think you have the slightest clue of why Dushera/ Navaratri is celebrated…

1. adya00

Pls care to elaborate on that.

16. LemonTeaLover

The carvings on the Tirupati temple’s vimana carvings tell a completely different story of a character called ‘maya-sita’, which I am assuming stems out of one of the many adaptations that the ramayana has, but has also appeared in the bhagavatam and sri ramcharitmanas.Before the abduction of Sita took place Agni, the fire god, came to Rama and said, “The aim of your incarnation is to destroy Ravana, and Sita is meant to be the cause for that since Ravana will come and carry her away. So entrust Sita with me and I will make a “Maya Sita” for you to keep. After Ravana’s death when she enters fire to prove her purity, I will return the real Sita to you.” Hearing this, Rama agreed.

Thereafter through intense meditation Agni created a look-alike Sita which was not an illusion or facsimile but a real double with a real name, history and destiny like any other Puranic personality. Hence, the Sita who was abducted by Ravana was not the actual Sita but a version of her and, more importantly, Rama had full knowledge of this although no one else knew at the time – not even Lakshman.

As foretold, the real Sita came out at the time of Maya Sita entering the fire to prove her purity and the Maya Sita vanished in the flames. To substantiate the role of Maya Sita and real Sita, Tulsi Das mentions in Ramcharitmanas that when the real Sita came out of the Agni she was wearing the jewellery given to her by Arundhati before her abduction and not the jewellery given by Ravana in Lanka.

In fact!After all this, Sita asked Rama to marry Maya Sita for the sacrifice she had done. But Rama refused ad the wanted to be monogamous.
    Rama said in the next birth he would be born as Srinivasa and marry her as Padmavati.If you are basing your reactions on the abovementioned story, I must say I would be happy if someone wished for me a husband like Ram, who also frees and thus forgives Ahalya of a curse that was put upon her for being unloyal to her husband( in some versions). As you must already be aware, every incarnation or re-incarnation is triggered by a prophecy or curse in the previous birth in these texts.

Rama and Sita’s ‘love story’ is eternal and survives through the seven lives that most lovers wish for themselves.oth were equally committed to each other as husband and wife. It is a sorry state today that we, as youngsters refuse to delve into the details of our religious texts and jump to conclusions as a result of listening to two paragraphs of the original as a good night story.

As far as Sita being the weak, docile, dependant character that you are portraying her to be, this is an interesting article that talks about why Sita waits in the Ashokvatika inspite of being ‘Adishakti’ and resonates how Rama and Sita were equals in their marriage http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-blogs/seekers/god-and-i/was-sita-mata-really-a-helpless-woman

1. adya00

LemonTeaLover, thank you so much for sharing that article me.
      Now the problem is, have you heard what people often say to women who are raped,harassed, molested and so on? ‘If she had a good character this wouldn’t have happened’. You know one of the places that comes from? It comes from this same part in Ramayan where sita says don’t touch m e or you will turn to ashes. Because she was a woman devoted to her husband.
      Of course a man’s job was to protect the woman, but was it also not his duty to protect her from false claims? Why the whole charade of agnipariksha if sita was going to be kicked out anyways?
      Why as Adi Shakti do we not see her taking an active role? She is just a passive viewer who keeps making sacrifices. Which is exactly what women are expected to do even today.

2. Suresh Menda

What nonsense? You said sita was a just character in the myth, then so is Ram right? If you have some problem then ya dont marry “valmiki”(kind of) but why do you hate Ram?

3. Varun

You seems to be from a Mahila Mukti Morcha Andolan girl. But, without hurting your sentiments, religion doesn’t says that a woman has to sacrifice all the times but it says that a woman is so capable that she can do it (so pls understand a religion completely). Also, to all of you, who are against religion and giving your logics, I humbly request you to not share you religion going forward in any forms (job, education, passport, etc). Just start writing logical or something else you want. Also, please share the results of this brave act, once you have the guts to do it. Please pass on this message to all your close friends who believe the same as you are. Many thanks

4. LemonTeaLover

The answers to these questions are in the texts, not the abridged and fragmented stories we read from here and there. But the full original texts.. Go to them 🙂

17. neha

Listen, first of all it was sita’s decision of whatever she wanted to do, if she wanted she could have rejected the agnipariksha or killed ravana she could have been just like u, whatever ram sita did it was there own business, do not blame others,i respect ram and sita, there relationship and there decisions, it was there life and i am nobody to comment on it , why are we coming in between ram and sita in the name of religion, do not be judgmental, and if we are still commenting then what is the diiference between the society that you are complaining about and u yourself ,that shows you are one of them. Secondly, talk about the present crimes going in the country, so please do not talk rubbish about past, yeah women are suffering very badly and being a girl it makes me feel even worse but cannot ignore the fact that many men too are suffering, actually the innocent is suffering even the animals are not left, they are slaughtered badly which raises concern, misery and irony of people living in the society and it needs to stopped as soon as possible. Not religion but people mindset needs to be changed, people who follow anything written in a mere book that was meant for society’s good but changed it to something different.

1. adya00

Few things neha
      1. You say sita could’ve done anything, are you forgetting ramayan was penned by a man to show the state of the society he lived in? Are you confusing mythology or some facts with history?
      2. Ofcourse men are suffering. Don’t you think Sita would’ve helped Ram if she had killed Ravan? Playing the damsel just made the wait longer.
      3. Religion doesn’t have to be changed, are you really under the impression that religion hasn’t changed in the last 4000 years?
      4. I’m coming between sita and ram, nope, valmiki and society and ‘dharma’ already did.

2. neha

I am not confusing any fact with history, i am just saying sita was grown up to take decision of her own and every individual is, Why are you blaming ram for it

Yeah exactly sita could have helped Ram so this is what i am saying, stop blaming ram !, and this does not mean that i am saying sita was wrong it was her own decision to give agnipariksha or not kill ravana and i respect her and her emotions, what you need to understand is that we as individuals are responsible for our own deeds and that we have to stop blaming others and instead take correct actions
      .
      Valmiki and dharma already did and you are not helping further, instead making it more difficult, and thanks to you for that .

3. adya00

You still don’t get what I’m trying to say. Sita never had a choice because she is only a character in a story. Do we at any point know what she wants? And would you not blamed your husband if he said he wanted divorce after a lot of people said to him that ‘your character is tainted’?
      Yes we are responsible for our own deeds, but what about the expectations that are forced on women? I have asked this question before here, why do the kids get the fathers name?

4. neha

Sita is a character in a story, and so is ram which are expected to be real by us, that is why we are talking about her, and if she is real then every human in life has choices to make. If my husband does what you say, I will try to solve it or take a stand, Not blame! And will not let anybody use it as a piece of discussion or fun just like you or ‘valmiki and dharma (as you said) ‘ did.

You need to understand expectations are not only forced on women but men also, not even children are left nowadays but for that we don’t need to blame each other but take correct actions and stand for oneself whether that person is a woman or a man, because in the process of accusing and blaming each other we forget that our real purpose was to stand for each other not against each other.

if you want that your kids get your name, go and try because trial keeps you strong, sorrow keeps you glowing,happiness keeps you sweet, failure keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing but only faith keeps you Going !
      Keep going !!

5. adya00

Neha, the purpose of this article or anything that I have said on any of the comments is not to start a battle of sexes.
      You are right when you say these characters are real in the sense that they are role models for us, and that is precisely why having such expectations is wrong. Even today women are expected to be meek and patient. And of course men are burdened by expectations too. Why should the onus of protection of the woman always lie on the father, husband or brother?
      Lastly, I don’t understand what you mean by this? “if you want that your kids get your name, go and try” Are you saying women should not be able to give their names to their children?

6. neha

When you said ‘ Till the time men don’t learn to accept their mistakes rather than putting them on the Sitas’ Now here you spotlight only men to do mistakes and saying ‘Sitas’ showing all women to be sweet and good, although you are right in saying woman to be good, three cheers to girl power but cannot ignore the fact that men always are not wrong , after that you said ‘ every woman will be expected to bear it all ‘ Again only woman are not burdened by expectations but men too, although now you say agree to that, you might not start the battle of sex but hey you just did, you completely ignored men and only highlighted woman to be the sufferer.

Yeah i know i am right , thanks, so now you see anyone man or woman found innocent is suffering and burdened by expectations in the world full of evil .

I am not at all saying what you are implying, what i am saying is that if you want or if you feel(its your own decision) to give your kids your name then try to do it, just saying why this happen or that happen will not serve you anymore, try to bring a change in society if you think something is wrong. The words of Mahatma Gandhi ‘ Be the change, you want to see in the society’ was what i was trying to imply.

7. adya00

Whatever I write I implement, of course my children will get my name.
      I never started the battle, I am just sick of the way women are sidelined and treated miserably. The fact that this happens because of the patriarchal structure, doesn’t point to a battle of sexes, it points towards a battle of gender equality.

8. neha

I could not understand, the fact that what happens??

9. neha

And Pls explain the difference between battle of sexes and battle of gender equality

10. adya00

A battle of sexes is when each sex is trying to portray itself better than the other, and trying to portray the other as worse than itself.
      A battle for gender equality on the other hand is a fight for equal rights for women, socially, politically, economically, and culturally.

11. adya00

The mistreatment of women in the name of patriarchy. Do you disagree with that?

12. neha

* THERE IS NO REPLY BUTTON IN YOUR LAST COMMENT AND I MISTAKENLY VOTED FOR IT, WHERE SHOULD I REPLY ????? *

13. neha

OH NOW I KNOW HOW TO REPLY, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION

14. neha

Ok! Now,
      You agreed the fact before that men are suffering and that they are also burdened with expectations in the society, but still if you blame, accuse and as a result oppress them, then that is called inequality not equality that is being matriarchal, Matriarchy is a shallow hypocrisy.Patriarchy should not be replaced by matriarchy but by equal representation, as i showed you before in my fourth comment that you just completely ignored men and highlighted only woman to be the sufferer in your article. And so what you did was gender inequality towards men.

Ofcourse, the mistreatment of woman in the name of patriarchy is wrong and that should not happen, equal representation to both the gender should be given, but what you did by writing such an article made you nowhere close to equal representation but towards inequality towards men.

15. adya00

jesus no. I never said I want patriarchy to be replaced by matriarchy, that’s another evil, another extreme.
      I’m against the way women are treated by our culture as a result of patriarchy. And sadly if i have to choose and say who has suffered more, its the women. And fighting against patriarchy doesn’t mean that I want to make men suffer. I want women to have equal rights as men and not be considered as the ‘other sex’.

16. neha

Ok, if you consider matriarchy as an extreme, an another evil, then why did you wrote those lines in your article, that i mentioned before, that was so unfair.

Why don’t you accept that Ram and Sita both suffered due to the evil society, and that still innocent men and women, both, are suffering, and the one who is found innocent is made the victim.

Evil does not see the gender, it sees who is weak or who is innocent( a good guy or a good gal). So according to me the sufferer is not a man or a woman but the innocent . By becoming unfair you are not being truly right. But you are trying, that is commendable !, but try a little more to be fair because whatever you write it affects us all.

17. adya00

Neha,

I never said anything about wanting matriarchy.
      The concept of evil is very grey, just like the concept of good and bad, and innocence too.
      I just want to ask you something, over the ages, who do you think has suffered more? Men or women?
      How many times have women been active do-ers rather than being passive watchers?
      And because Ramayan still has a hold on us I wrote this. I thank you for understanding the effort. Even now I am reading Mahabharata, and women seem to have no role to play there either. Its all about sons.

18. neha

Yeah you are right, over the ages woman are suffering more and we should take a stand to stop it but will never be biased because we know suffering is still on both sides or else this time we would be the sinner and will turn into something which we hated and were fighting against of.

19. adya00

Agreed!! 🙂

20. Suresh Menda

I would love to marry Neha :p lol just kidding. So sweet and a true human rights activist. I have the greatest respect for her. Kudos Neha for being a real feminist.

18. Anuvab Bandyopadhyay

Ramayana has always rather faulted for it’s portrayal of Sita. And yes, it is a forgone conclusion that Ram was exceptionally chauvinistic in his outlook. And as for those crying foul over their “religious sentiments” being hurt, well, if your religion and your sentiments are fragile enough to be hurt by an article on the net, then i don’t know what to say. Oh and your medieval attitude towards free speech and women harm my humane sensibilities, but did I complain?

19. Durgesh Gupta

This article is selfishly written, writer of this article should realize that if you wanna be known great you have to sacrifice, sacrifice for everything, mother sita what did, that sacrifices will always be consider as supreme sacrifice being a wife of lord Rama(a supreme personality). Due to her sacrifices only her name is placed before lord Rama and we call, we chant we recite Sita Ram… Sita Ram..

When Ramayan was happened that age we call, we consider as a vedic age, a age that was a beginning of structured human society, society was unstructured, the society was not well matured and sativik or spiritual education was limited to only sages and then through them to their pupils, It was the impact of the culture and divine power of that era that led to Anipariksha (which was also a dramatic act of lord Rama to kill the evil power of Ravan (mighty demon), even original mother Sita did not abducted by Ravan even not touched by Ravan, the abducted Sita was a clone of original Sita).

What lord Ram did it was just need and demand of the time and society, it was his Dharma (dutiful action) and dharma varies according to the time and place or as per situation, he was a ruling king that time and he had to sacrifice his beloved wife just to set an example before current society and keep the justice system equal to everyone in society. It was Rajtantra (a king led society) that time and being a king of Ayodhya he had no personal life, he was a king first then a husband. No one could understand his dilemma except his wife mother Sita, and mother Sita did she had to did being an ideal wife. In Ramayan the character of mother Sita gives the real power of a women i.e. self-reliance, self-independent, sacrifice, a selfish less attitude, inner strength etc. what today age men and women both lacks with.

the article is a competitive analysis between men and women keeping the most respected adorable couple personality as a base, Men can never take the place of a women because it has top position due to its life giving divine attributes, so women should get rid out of the competition with men because competition always happens in equal level and men is no where equal to women nor women too.

भारतीय बहु भाषी, बहु क्षेत्रीय समाज को तथा सम्पूर्ण विश्व को, रामायण जैसे महाकाव्य से सिख लेनी चाहिए, उसका स्मरण करना चाहिए, रामायण एक पवित्र प्रेम,त्याग,बलिदान, देश प्रेम की शिक्षा देने वाला एक अलौकिक ग्रन्थ है और इसके अलौकिक वचनों पर वाद विवाद करने का सहास या योग्यता हम में से किसी इ पास नहीं है, रामायण काल में जो कुछ हुआ वह एक वैदिक काल था| सत्य की असत्य पर सदैव विजय होती है रामायण हमें यह सन्देश हमें रामायण से लेना चाहिए| विषम परिस्थितियों में भी सत्य का साथ नहीं छोड़ना चाहिए “सत्यमेव जयते” “Truth Alone Triumphs”

1. adya00

As I have said before. not even one person should be sacrificed for the so called ‘greater good’. You have yourself said Ram set an example, he could’ve set a better one. And if a king comes first, then he should not have married.
      In the name of woman being a mother, men keep sacrificing her. You fail to realise that a woman is not just a uterus. If a woman s supreme then why does the child not have her or his mother’s name?
      Who are you say what is the meaning of truth. Just because something is written in a book thousands of year old does not mean it is the truth.

2. Durgesh Gupta

If you are not relying on Balmiki written (in sansrit) world renowned Ramayana (a great epic widely accepted) then why you are writing such article by keeping Ramayan as a base of your article? (if everything is not true according to you what written in book)

I accept the truth that current scenario has changed, now we are living in a men dominant society but that’s the leadership issue, the question you asked, if a woman is supreme then why does the child not have her or his mother’s name? to find out the answer you have to go through scriptures you will then find out this answer, in brief what I can say is, in lack of some key spiritual attributes “GOON” or some characteristics women are not accepted as fully pure in compare too men however men too lacks with some attributes this significant differences and some other factors too put men on front, The concept of Karma (action) is play a vital role in leadership but that’s does not mean women place is down in compare to men, our Sanatan society has always given women equal privileges compare to men.

Only The Karma yoga defines male or female position in this material world/society;

And Tulsidas is nowhere wrong in giving society a message through “Ram Charit Manas” that
      कर्म प्रधान विश्व रच राखा, जो जस कर वो तस फल चाखा|| The almighty has created an action oriented society and one will get the result according to the action.

3. adya00

So these ‘scriptures’ are written in stone according to you and no interpretation is required and it doesn’t matter if women are not happy with the place given to them?
      How do you say women are not pure? Pls elaborate on that.

4. Durgesh Gupta

The impurity is not particular for women, men are too comes under it, also as I have mentioned you must go through scriptures specially our vedas to get in depth information, enrich our wisdom and increase your knowledge base that eventually will lead embark your research, through this we can conclude the debate. regarding interpretation of scriptures I don’t think you are right person to do (on the basis of your researched article) that also can’t make much comment on scriptures too.

Debating is good, denying the facts and interpreting scriptures on gender basis is completely unethical and lacks the universal acceptance.

5. thecreativebent

You did not really answer the lady…. how are women impure in “your scriptures” ? You must have read them in depth right? You however state that not only women but men too are impure on certain characteristics… then why a child is named after a father only?
      You haven’t answered any questions satisfactorily… only stating the same facts in different words… Please don’t use vedas and scriptures to duck logic.

Who decides for women that we have to be selfless while the men can get away with being selfish… because they always expect women to sacrifice? And who says sacrifice the real power of women??? How did you reach that conclusion?

We will be equal the day when we will have the same virtues expected out of both genders. When men won’t be under the burden to be always strong… and women won’t be under the burden of always being sacrificing. We are all individuals… and what virtues we inculcate should be a choice not affected by our gender.

6. adya00

thecreativebent . . . hey, thank you! This is has been the trend, just about all of these ‘religious’ people are just saying one thing or the other and not really answering my questions.

7. Durgesh Gupta

There are many virtue which defines women impurity including menstruating but their disposition also a reason, their disposition is such that they are incapable of being restrained when bent upon transgression. Verily, women are like the words uttered by the wise. Fire is never satiated with fuel. Ocean can never be filled with the waters that rivers bring unto it. Similarly women are never satiated with men.

@thecreativebent and adya00

Again requesting to go through spiritual way to solve this issue or find the correct answer and find out the reason, may I am not worthy enough to explore on this topic, a materialistic approach will be a temporary answer to any such question.

thanks for understanding.

8. adya00

Its men who rape women right, left and center and you have the nerve to say women are not satiated with men?
      “incapable of being restrained”, you just proved that you are a chauvinist bent upon taking every right of a woman. Men like you are the reason why India treats its women like shit.
      What on the earth do you mean by materialistic approach? Stop being vague Mr. Durgesh, you have o answers so you keep going around in circles.

9. Durgesh Gupta

See yourself only, you have now become more impatience, more personal… this is the natural women disposition, and you can also consider it as a virtue 🙂

10. adya00

More personal, really? So you mean to say men are impersonal stones? Then why are they hell bent on destroying women?
      As far as virtues are considered, you don’t seem to have any. You’re no better than barbarians who treat women as slaves. I wonder how females members of your family even tolerate you? Unless of course they were taught by the patriarchy to take whatever shit you do to them in the name of sacrifice.

11. Durgesh Gupta

Hello Ms. Whatever may lord give you husband like Ravan not Ram because u have problem with Ram. Let me conclude this, you published an article and I found your comparison with lord Ram irrelevant instead you could have picked other example than picking lord character and it could have been a better comparison rather than hurting Hindu religious sentiments, so eventually I disagreed and if you are not agreed go with your ideology but don’t comment on any member of my family. How much I love my family and my country you have no idea.

चन्दन है इस देश की धरती तपो भूमि हर ग्राम है हर बाला देवी की प्रतिमा, बच्चा बच्चा राम है|

Being an Indian, we not only respect and protect women but we worship them as a mother as a goddess.

20. adya00

Have you read the scriptures or even about them? Would you be surprised to know that at one point the Vedas prohibited temples?
    You say sacrifice is a virtue which means pain should be revered. Life was meant to live and enjoy or to seethe in pain?

1. Anirudh G

neither…we r meant to accept happiness with gratefulness and miseries as blessings for our own good…

2. adya00

You mean you believe in destiny? That everything is pre-destined and it doesn’t matter at all what we want or what we do.

3. Anirudh

Not at all….What we think or what we do helps shape our future…Just stating that result is not in our control… #Gita

4. adya00

That’s like saying no matter what you do you can’t control your future. Worse, you can’t even have dreams or ambitions.

5. Varun

Adya00, after reading so many comments from you, I am sure that you are here on this platform just to vent out ur frustration without talking on any basis. I think, first you should read scriptures and stop doing personal attacks on men also because like women, men are also human species and might be vanished due to girls like u 🙂

21. rananjay

Madam ji; every body has right to express his opinion ,n u have all the rights to exercise your franchise ,here, i m also not trying to thrust my opinion on you ,we all are human beings whether its Ram ,sita ,kkrishna or anybody else and as a person we are not less important than them , But here, RAM is not a person ,its a way of thinking ,being a noble person , a noble king , a noble husband .We as a human being are vulnerable to different catastrophes ,we also face the same circumstances as ram had to face ,we all r kings in our own life we all r leaders of our own life, but when we face any crisis n we find ourselves in doom ,we become directionless ,we tend to b impatient n choose wrong path to mitigate our misery but we r lucky to have a mentor like RAMAYANA n GITA to show us right path in the gloom…… We r not obliged to follow any person we can develop our own unique path …….if certain custom was prevalent at certain time , we have to go deeper in order to understand the contemporary society ,you can understand by this example ;if you read the currently drafted ‘rape law ‘you ll find it draconian after 100 years when women ll be dominant , you ll think ;without any corroboration how can a man b convicted for the rape ,men even cant sing in presence of a woman, however, he may be a professional singer and women r not supposed to sexually harass a man !,we cant understand AGNIPARIKSHA in current society ,even in modern period we say; HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY , a man who is found guilty of ‘adultery’ has to face the consequences even today ………….try to read between the lines……………….here ‘agnipariksha’ is loss of job ,dissolution of firm in which u r a partner ,loss of credibility and good will ,do u think its not a kind of agni pariksha ,sanctions ll always be there for wrongful act ,yes, modes change with the time ………….and after all this you r free to choose ur own life nobody can dictate you but u can’t force someone to adopt ur views ………

1. adya00

Thank you for understanding that things change, that they have to change. I pretty much agree with whatever you said. 🙂

22. Kranti MMaheshwari

very true i completely agree with ur views no one has right to take test of others patience or dignity & a man who didn’t trust on her wife, who left his wife when she was pregnant a time when woman needs her husband more then ever how can be tagged as maryada purshottam!!

1. adya00

Yup. Doesn’t help bring up the children, but sure does take them away once they’re all grown up.

2. Varun

Sir, first of all, like others said, you read the complete scripture so that you have the full knowledge that who is Ram or who is Sita? whether it was their last birth or not? Then, I will completely welcome you to condemn these characters 🙂

23. adya00

Of course I’m doing it, every word that I say is being practiced by me.

Ramayan always exalts Ram, it had to be put down. And Sita’s sacrifice is always considered important, that too had to be brought down. Indian mythology has many gender issues, which this articles highlights.

But keeping your point in mind, next time, I shall point out both issues.

24. adya00

Pls explain how do you worship women when you think they need to be restrained?
    Many men love their mothers, sisters, and wives but barely any respect them.
    And why is this comparison with Ram irrelevant?

25. Akshat Seth

Write a comment…

सुयश सुप्रभ
    “रावण ने यह जानते हुए भी मुझसे प्रेम किया कि मैं यूज़्ड हूँ। आपने तो मुझसे अग्निपरीक्षा की माँग की है। क्यों न मैं रावण की चिता पर जल जाऊँ?” सीता ने आज ‪#‎जेएनयू‬ में मंचित एक नाटक में ऐसा ही कुछ कहा। इस संवाद पर ठंडे दिमाग से सोचिएगा। गुस्साने से काम नहीं बनेगा।

1. adya00

Breaks my heart to see the word ‘used’, because that’s exactly how a woman is treated when she’s had sex. Not like a human, but a product.

26. vishalbheeroo

It breaks my heart hearing people singing the praise of Rama, the man who could do no wrong. But, the stark reality is that Ram is the agent of the patriarchal society who doubted his wife sincerity and the latter is expected to be unequal and fulfill the husband duties-waiting for him to save her and even fulfilling his sexual desires against her own will, for that matter. I am sorry I do not consider Rama to be God but just a character etched and considering he belongs to the Aryan race, invaders, Ramyana is subjected to different interpretations.

1. Akshat Seth

Periyar?

2. adya00

Um, I agree with everything you said, but Aryans being the invaders. That’s not really true.

27. Kalpana Solsi

Rama a perfect man , Rama is a perfect son as the song goes but was he a perfect husband? Only Sita has the right to decide and not the society. Was he a perfect father? Where was he when the twins were born?, A father is one who cares for his children.

28. Bijju Kranthi V

Lets go back in the Ramayana story a bit before we ask questions about why Rama sent Sita to forest.

In the Ayodhya Kanda of Ramayana, Rama was asked to go to exile as per the 2 wishes of Kaikeyi to King Dasratha. Rama did follow the wish as a son of King Dasratha i.e, followed his putra dharma. Many people opposed this even the people of Ayodhya, but Rama didnt listen to them as he was not king. He did his duty towards his parents. He didnt have to take the opinion of people of Ayodhya into account as he was not king. He merely performed his putra dharma.

Now Rama took the opinion of the washerman into account. He decided to send Sita to forest, but this time no one opposed his move. All the people of Ayodhya were silent when Rama did this. This silence of the people meant what was in the hearts of all the people of Ayodhya. So he unwillingly accepted the silence and opinion of his people even though not everyone openly said so except the washerman. Had people opposed this move Rama would have certainly stopped this move but that didnt happen. People just remained silent witnessing. Rama was following his Raja Dharma as he was answerable to his people. He just did as per the wish of the people at that time.

Overall it was the mistake of those people who even though felt it was wrong but didnt oppose and remained silent. It was mistake of those who doubted Sita. How nicely it fits into our current Indian political crisis. Politicians are looting and we are silent. We want to be free from corruption but we ourselves do it in our homes unknowingly teaching our children. It is a lesson for all of us to oppose Adharma wherever and whenever it arises.

1. adya00

Very true. In fact I raised a similar point somewhere, probably here only. Someone said that Ram was doing what the people asked him to do, he was a king first, yadayada. But then just like a father corrects his children when they do something wrong, shouldn’t a king do the same? And I mean really, does a king always do what the ‘praja’ wants?

2. Akhil Prabhakar

Now this question is really a very tough one to answer. It is as difficult as choosing one out of the two equally valid and relevant moral actions! The correctness of the action varies with different perspectives. In the above example, not only did lord Rama have two conflicting responsibilities demanding conflicting actions, but there was also a question of a choice between public and private duty. I understand your doubts and believe that questions you raised are completely logical. But let me bring a new perspective to this question.
      At that time, there was a choice confronting lord Rama of whether to listen to his heart to stop Sita from going to forest (which was absolutely expected of him) or to choose against it, which the ‘praja’ wanted. More importantly, lets understand what Lord Rama was trying to achieve? in my limited knowledge and understanding of Ramayna, Lord Rama tried to understand the consequences of both his actions and ultimately came to a conclusion that if he stops Sita from going to forests it would affect his society adversely. He felt that in future some wrong actions might be justified by wrong people. He knew that though his accepting Sita was completely justified but despite that the society (in this case washerman) might use this example of his conduct for totally immoral acts. (let’s not go into why he thought so etc etc… as this is a subject matter of different available interpretations of Ramayna).
      Lord Rama was harsh on Sita just to try and maintain order in his society which he believed he was doing by his act. Therefore, he chose to let Sita go. Personally, though, he suffered setbacks and feeling of high remorse for the wrongs he did to Sita as his acts could never be morally justified from Sita’s perspective or from his children’s perspective. In other words, his ‘karma’ just caught hold of him (which is the fundamental basis of the Hindu philosophy).
      Now coming to whether his decision was right or wrong.The decision he took is really subjective and could draw contrasting opinions. It is very unfortunate that things in this scripture (which is linked with sentiments of many) took up this course. I believe that it would be wrong on our part to draw criticisms of Lord Rama (who is just a character in this moral story). Instead, our attempt should be to learn the positives out of this scripture and debate the examples of subjective decisions like this one to try and figure out what is right in today’s world.
      Who knows, on looking at the oppression and the exploitation faced by modern day women, today’s Lord Rama might have chosen to stop Sita from leaving in order to set a much necessary example for our modern day society. No way can a society mistreat its women.
      Therefore, we should not debate on whether Ram was ‘Maryada purushottam’ or not. Rather, we must appreciate the way of thinking that Lord Rama introduced us to. He asked us to weigh different options available to us and then choose the actions which are best suited to the needs of the society. This is what should be our approach towards all our scriptures.

Also, to help you better understand the dilemmas faced by all our leaders/kings/administrators (as had been faced by Lord Ram, though of a different nature!), I would like to give you an example. On 24th December 1999, Indian flight IC-814 was hijacked and lives of 166 people was at risk. Just an hour before this news broke out, our MEA minister (if I am not wrong) Jaswant Singh was blessed with his grand-daughter. Also, in that very period, his poor dear mother’s health deteriorated further and she had to receive a blood transfusion immediately. Now at this critical juncture, should he have chosen to hear the calls of office for the sake of the lives of many people trapped or should he have attended his sick and lonely mother? This, in comparison to the dilemma faced by Ram, is very easy!!

Thank you for your patient reading of this long comment and I hope you appreciate my point of view 🙂

3. Adya

Well thank you for patiently writing such a long response, and I have to say, perhaps, the most logical one yet.
      Two things I’d like to point out.

1. By not keeping Sita you say that Ram was making sure no immorality would take place.But what about the immorality by which men even today distrust their wives in a split second if anyone says anything?
      2. We often say we should take the positive out of this or any story, but I think we should also be able to throw away the outdated, the wrong, the unnecessary. Ramayan may have taught us a many good things, but it give us many examples of the wrongs too. As a cutlure and a people we should not be blind to those faults only because we consider him to be a god. God after all was a creation of humans.

Lastly, there is often this conundrum about sacrificing a few for the good of many, but how much? One woman, many women, many people and then later who decides who is to be sacrificed? The majority or someone who has power?

4. Akhil Prabhakar

Absolutely, your interpretation is completely fine and acceptable. In my view, this is the reason why Ramayana has various interpretations and every interpretation is right. In this example, the choice of Rama to bend with the public opinion despite knowing that he and his ‘praja’ was wrong highlights a very important limitation of every democracy. It beautifully showcases the wrongs in “accepting the majoritarian view” approach of a democracy. It establishes that democracy often functions by instinct and fear. How a majoritarian view can force the king to take wrong decisions is the message given in a larger perspective. Rama was just a medium to convey this very message which is very much relevant even today. Unfortunately, this lesson was learnt at the cost of the rights of Sita. Ramayana has various such examples which give us some learning despite of some wrong decisions made by the characters. With all these mistakes, the character of Rama becomes even more human.

Now coming to the sacrifice part. Yes, Ramayana focuses too much on sacrifices of Sita (women). It is totally correct to say that today it is completely wrong to expect women to make all the sacrifices. From a woman’s perspective, it is unfortunate that Ramayana mostly centres around on Rama’s actions, relegating all else to the background. In it, Sita is always shown doing sacrifices (ie following the notion of ‘dharma’ prevalent in that archaic society) which does not make sense in today’s world. I agree that this part of Ramayana should be looked into and appropriate amends must be made. But even then, considering Sita to be a quiet and submissive figure, who keeps to herself most of the time, would be wrong. There are instances in the Ramayana when Sita speaks out powerfully in favour of or against some principle to change the opinion of ‘stronger male characters’. Obviously, she was given the independence to do so.
      In the first such instance, during their stay in Chitrakuta, Sita enters a discussion with Rama, after which Rama solemnly vows that he will never slay anyone without extreme provocation.
      The second time, Sita strongly debates with Ravana when he comes to her hermitage in the guise of a Brahmin. She flatly tells him that she cannot easily trust him, since he does not look at all like a Brahmin.
      Sita even subdues Hanuman with her powerful words. When Hanuman manages to locate her in Ashokvan, he is intent of immediately taking her with him, so that she can escape from there and be together with Rama. Hanuman offers to take Sita on his back and transport her to his Lord. Sita, however, declines and states that she would never want to run away like a cowardly thief and that she would want her husband to battle and victor against Ravana instead.

I believe Ramayana offers us a way of life. One may follow it completely or partly or reject it completely. It is very wrong on people’s part to blindly follow it without understanding the essence of it. I completely second your opinion in this regard. I would just reserve myself from commenting about Rama in all this debate just because it might hurt the sentiments of many 😉

5. Akhil Prabhakar

Also, in Ramayana, there are some examples where the male characters like Hanuman, brothers or Rama and Rama himself made sacrificed too! It would also incorrect to conclude that only women did sacrifice. Rama went to exile just because Kaikeyi wanted him to. Another example of Rama doing sacrifice for a women! Women especially Sita sacrificed a lot (more than anyone else) but other characters too revolved around this feeling of ‘sacrifice’
      PS: Just an afterthought!

6. Akhil Prabhakar

My above comment had some errors. Please ignore it.
      In Ramayana, there are some examples where the male characters like Hanuman, brothers or Rama, and Rama himself also sacrificed for someone or the other! It would be, therefore, incorrect to conclude that only women sacrificed in Ramayana. Rama went to exile just because Kaikeyi wanted him to. This is an example of Rama sacrificing for the sake of a woman!
      Women, especially Sita, sacrificed a lot (much more than anyone else) but other characters too were involved in this task of ‘sacrificing’.
      PS: Just an afterthought!

7. adya00

Yup men made sacrifices too, still do. But there’s a reason the system is called patriarchy right 🙂
      The point of distrust was in the context that a woman can still not easily doubt her husband or even take an action if he is unfaithful to her. A man on the other hand can easily raise questions on a woman’s character and the sad part is that they are heeded.
      Sita could’ve left with Hanuman, she could’ve killed Ravan right? She was Adi Shakti. But she doesn’t. If she had killed him problem would’ve been solved. But it takes longer, because in Ramayan women are never active only passive.
      And yes, the whole of Ramayan isnt all crap, there are quote a few good things. But this article was focused on the women part.

8. Akhil Prabhakar

I don’t agree with you on the distrust part. Whether it is a man or a woman, anyone can develop a feeling of distrust towards his/her partner and is independent to do so irrespective of which society he/she belongs too. It varies from person to person and is independent of the gender. Linking it to Ramayana will be incorrect. Evils of mistreating women exist in various societies in different forms. Deriving “distrust” from these evils and generalizing it for one gender would be hasty generalization.

29. Somnath Singh

I am wondering from from have u read Ramayana.. Hav u read the actual Ramayana or the edited version teached in schools !!!
    First u should have a clear understanding of VEDAS and RAMAYANA … then u can properly judge anyone .. I fear ur words are utter dark clouds which exist in present society very distant from the actual Light ……..

Read Vedas then u will understand how Women are treated in Hinduism and then plz Read Ramayana(Real Ramayana) to Unravel the real problem which Ram faced after he Got back Mother Sita …..

1. Adya

Pls do enlighten me on how the Vedas treats women well? Why do they think of women as impure when they are menstruating? Why is the birth of sons considered quintessential for reaching heaven?

2. Somnath Singh

Hinduism is the only religion (besides Pagan) that treats woman as the manifestation of Shakti or Goddess.

According to dharma man should wake up early in the morning, perform japa, tapa, and various vedic rights with extreme caution to get good results. Whereas for a women, all this is not required. If she serves her husband, knowingly or unknowingly, it accounts to serving God only.

This is told in the Vedas itself that NO other form of worship is necessary for women.

Besides this, if the women does any other form of worship the merit remains untouched, it is not accounted to the husband, it belongs to her alone.

Hindus do sashtanga namaskar on the ground to God, deities in the temples or to his guru. A man has to do this touching all parts of his body to the earth including, eyes, nose, ears. It denotes complete submission of one self to God. Vedas insist that, women don’t have to do this. Vedas say that the motherly organs of a women responsible for creation and sustenance must be respected. Hence an ardha-sashtanga namaskar (on half bent knees) would suffice for women.

An upadesha obtained from a woman is said to yield ten times more benefit than that obtained from a man. Vedas have granted many such boons to women.

Vedas say that one rain within a month showers onto the earth only because of the pathivrathya of virtuous wives.

Paathivrathya :- The only single vow which they are obliged to adhere. The husband might be a rogue or diseased or evil man, if the wife bears devotion to him like God and treats him love, care and affection, she is undoubtedly granted higher planes of existence. This is the reason why Mandodari is treated as one amongst the pancha maha pathivratha in spite of Ravan, her husband being evil.

If you read the Ramayana(Actual Ramayana), you will find some of these details about the spiritual powers that can be obtained by women by adhering to paathivrathya as told by Anasuya to Sita.

Vedas talks about the vow of paathivrathya but do not insist on sathi sahagamana(wife giving up her life along with the pyre of her husband). Pathivrathas in Vedic times were so devoted to their husbands by body, thought, mind and soul that they were unwilling to live a life bereft of their husbands. Later on some fool made a dogma , it is madatory for women to die on pyre, which is utter nuissance.

Dowry :- Scriptures call dowry as sthree-dhan, meaning the money given by the father to her daughter while marriage. It BELONGS to her only.
      To perform certain rituals like astrological remedies for sarpa dosha, kuja dosha, etc money earned by the man should be mixed with the sthree dhan given by the wife’s father without which the right results would not be procured. It is said that sthree-dhan is distinguished from the Husband’s property.

Rape :- Whoever said that Hinduism doesn’t allow marrying a raped victim or the husband must leave a wife who is raped is utterly a hoax, devoid of true wisdom for he knows nothing about the vedas. People of India hardly know that there are certain esoteric vedic rituals meant for purification of the physical body that was exploited by coercion after performing which even rape victims were married (if still unmarried) or lovingly accepted back into the family (if married).

Thanks 2 Ashna Khan for exploring the wisdom of Vedas ..

3. adya00

1. First, Hinduism has many many pagan elements, so you can’t really say that its not paganism.
      2. After all the everything you said about woman being respected you are still saying that a woman must bow down to a man? You just contradicted yourself. And what you need to realize is, that is it is wrong. Radha Krishan model is assumed to be the model of a bhakt and god, radha being the devotee. If there are female gods then there is no need for only a woman to bow down to her husband, a man should do the same.
      3. As far as dowry is concerned, that is only half the story. Texts within vedas contradict themselves.
      4. Sati was never part of Vedas, that is true, neither did I say that it is.
      5 I am currently reading the Mahabharata unabridged. How would you say women are treated in Mahabharata?
      6. The female hindu deities: pls read about pre vedic india. Your eyes will be opened on more than account.

4. Somnath SIngh

1) Wht logic is that, If u worship different GOD , then The Religion is Subset of Previous Religion .. If this is so , then Christianity and Islam would be same , If I go by ur logic , Becoz they believe in ONE GOD concept.

2) “Bow Down” I never mention this Word , be careful with ur words. I didnot contradict myself , u r feeding words which is not mine. Does love, care and affection means “Bow Down”??

3) Regarding the Dowry u said “half story” , Show me the text where is contradicts ???

4) I always keep telling u , U always keep look at the Negative side .. Mahabharata Shows If someone dishonor Women, how there Downfall is obvious. For Example :- U might hav forgotten the King Drupada of Panchala(Father of Draupadi) performed a Fire Yagya to take his vengrence from DRONA , And from that Yagya , Draupadi was incarnated. This shows the Reason of Mahabharata.

5) About the PreVedic India, What are u trying to mention, Which Point are you trying to proof ??

5. adya00

You misunderstand me, I don’t think paganism is bad or beneath any other form of worship. As controversial as it may sound I think it is perhaps the highest form of worship. It means worshiping elements of nature, which as hindus we do.

Being devoted to a husband even if he is a rogue, diseased among other things, is worse than bowing down. Why are men called parmeshwar? Why is a woman always expected to be beneath a man.

As far as dowry is considered, in olden times and in vedas, daughters are given away with cows, kines, ornaments, which are all considered dowry. Manusmriti also mentions dowry.

Draupada got draupadi so he could be aveneged himself, a woman once more just became the means to an end. Yudhishthir gave gambled his wife, meaining wives were considered property of husband, don’t you find that disturbing?

Further, in Mahabharata, you keep listening to how a king marries some woman and has so and so sons, there’s a handful of incidents where daughters were born. Even Gandhari wants a daughter so she can gain religious merits one gains from the sons of a daughter. How do you justify that? Are there any instances when a woman does something actively?

I’m sending you a link to give you some idea of pre vedic india.

http://www.matrika-india.org/Research/MythicOrigins.html

6. Somnath Singh

I have witnessed this with several people confusing Human Actions as Religion. No it know better u need to look at the scriptures.

What I am telling is that don’t judge and come to conclusion by Observing the Action done by some people.
      If it has been mentioned in Vedas and then you can claim that the Concept is not well.

Becoz sometimes people starts doing what they are not suppose to perform and by there action we think that it is there culture, which is certainly not. That is why I am keep telling you that show me the verses who support the actions performed , then we would have to ponder over such matter..

I m not here to criticize any religion here ….. For I have found women are not treated in any other religion for example Christianity, Islam , Judaism… We can find out how Pegan treat Women according to there scripture .. then u would be in better position of Judging which Religion is better for Women .. But from authentic sources only.

Regarding Parmeshwar Vedas does mention to be faithful, caring, loving to Husband and always thinking of this welfare which entitled her to Pativrata / Sati (Pious and faithful Lady which become a evil tradition after the Mughals Morrons Invaded India). This spiritual power is extremely greater then all power that even Brahma , Vishnu , Shiva couldn’t be freed from the power of Anusuya.

This doesn’t mean to bow down, In that times there was a difference how women and girl are looked at. That times Women and Girls are looked as Mother / Sisters unlike today , Tht is why it is called Kalyuga. While I consider this to the effect of Western Culture that have tranformed many youth , and partially becoz parents now a days doesnot teach manner nor rebuke, which has caused this. Parent of todays generation need to give proper Sanskar and make there children learn there own culture first , before plunging on other language or culture.. U can see other Countries like France, Japan , Italy etc all are strong in there own culture and every research paper they do mostly in there mother tongue, which is missing in Indian Education.

As far as Draupada was concerned he performed those Yagya just to take revenge. But he never performed those for getting Dhrishtadyumna and Draupadi . There were presented to Draupada pleased by his devotion. That is the point I am making he never desired to gave his sibling in this way…
      And as we all know Both of them have a significant role in the cause of Mahabharata.

Regarding the “handful of incidents where daughters were born” or “Gandhari wants a daughter so she can gain religious merits one gains from the sons of a daughter” , I would ask u to give me some reference of this stuff, then I can look form every perspective and conclude ….

30. Somnath Singh

Half Knowledge is always dangerous saying as per the context u brought out .

U better Refer to Valmika Ramayana which is considered and Unravel the Truth and shows the Light .. Everything that Happens has a purpose.

Now Did u know that Ram was has been Cursed twice Directly and Indirectly ..

1st Curse was Given by Mata Parvati to Lord Vishnu, he will also be separated from his spouse the next time he is born as a human(Before Ram Born , Indirectly Curse)

2nd Curse was Given by Tara ( Wife of Bali) after Lord Ram killed Bali saying that he will lose Sita after he finds her. She also declared that Sita will return to earth.

And dues to these curses Lord Ram and Sita was separated for most of there time .

The Second part of the Story u people know .. Let me Share the story narrated by Valmiki .

This starts after Raavan and his Sibling got the Boons from Lord Brahma, Raavan planned on invading the kingdom of Amaravathi, the capital of the heavenly kingdom of Indra. Knowing Raavan’s strength and capability Indra consults Narada for help. Narada tells Indra that Raavan is powerful because his family worships Lord Shiva and that the worship in turn gives them such tremendous power.

Narada then suggests Indra that he disrupt Kaikesi’s (Raavan’s Mother) worship of a Linga which is made of sand. Indra disrupts the prayer by destroying the Linga. Knowing this Raavan then promises Kaikesi that he will perform penance and bring Lord Shiva’s Aatma Linga for her to worship.Goddess Parvathi comes to know about Raavan’s penance and fears that Lord Shiva might leave Kailasa and go to earth forever. Narada then suggests Goddess Parvathi that she seek Lord Vishnu’s help in this matter. Lord Shiva impressed by Ravana’s penance grants him a wish.
    Lord Vishnu then uses his magic to trick Ravana into asking Goddess Parvathi’s hand from lord Shiva instead of the Aatma Linga. That time She Cursed Vishnu.

1. Adya

Mr. Somnath.

I hope you do realise that Ramayan is mythology and not history. And mythology is formed so as to guide us. And we have to question that guidance when it is clearly wrong, or outdated.

2. Somnath Singh

First keep your points straight don’t go haywire. U ask the Reasons of Ram’s Decision , I gave u the Reasons.

The Guidance in Ramayana is Wrong only If u know the half part of it, and that is what is evident in your post.

Speaking of Historic or Mythology Ramayan, It is yet to be Proved . Besides Ram-Setu stands as the Historical Evidence. What about Shanjeevni Herbs??

Speaking of outdated, The Teaching of Ramayan is not outdated , it set an example How a person actions lead to his/her grievance, Even God are not spared for there actions.

Problem what I see in recent Era , Most of them always focus on Negative Stuffs, forgetting the Positive and lovable aspect/virtues.

Why don’t u write about the Noble Actions and sacrifice made by Ram Sita, Laxman, Urmila , Bharat etc in there life who never left there Dharma/Karma ??

U know Even Duryodhana was shown the gateway to Heaven , according to Mahabharat , Most of them don’t know ?
      Do u know that the Prophesy of Jesus Christ was made in Vedas at that time ?? Don’t u feel that surprised , which was made thousands of years back??

Why don’t u people write a post on these things ?

The conclusion is that u need to know the history properly even u do it from any scriptures , instead of deriving the conclusion beforehand.

3. adya00

Its yet to be proved that’s why they are called myths. Goig by your definition all Greek myths should also be history.
      You should perhaps do some digging up on how the ‘vedic culture’, with all its good aspects, had a dark side when it changed the pre vedic cutlure of India. Most people assume India’s and hinduisms roots are in Vedas, but they are deeper than that.
      You also seem to think of sacrifice very highly. A person has a responsibility towards themselves, which none of them accomplished. Sacrifice is a very over rated concept.
      As far as prophecies are concerned, I would need you to quote from the vedas about the Christ prophecy you pointed out. Nostradamus made many to, but a lot of them are false. They could simply have been guess work.
      Having said that, there is a certain science of intuition and kundali in the hindu science, but its far from a perfect science. The world’s problem would’ve been solved if they were that easy.

4. Somnath SIngh

The Prophecy goes as following:-

In Isha Upanishad of Yajurveda

The First Verse goes like this :-
      isa(Jesus) vasyam idam sarva ¦ yat kiñca jagatyam jagat
      tena tyaktena bhuñjitha ¦ ma grdhah kasya sviddhanam

Jesus is also found in verses 17-32 Bhavishya Purana.

Text 23
      ko bharam iti tam praaha
      su hovacha mudanvitah
      iishaa(Jesus) purtagm maam viddhi
      kumaarigarbha sambhavam

Text 24
      mleccha dharmasya vaktaram
      satyavata paraayanam
      iti srutva nrpa praaha
      dharmah ko bhavato matah

Texts 25 – 26
      shruto vaaca mahaaraaja
      praapte satyasya samkshaye
      nirmaaryaade mlechadeshe
      masiiho ‘ham samagatah

iishaamasii(Jesus) ca dasyuunaa
      praadurbhuutaa bhayankarii
      taamaham mlecchataah praapya
      masiihatva mupaagatah

Text 30
      isha(Jesus) muurtirt-dradi praptaa
      nityashuddha sivamkari
      ishamasihah iti ca
      mama nama pratishthitam

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Suggest u to go through the Vedas instead of giving wrong message based on wrong interpretations. And If u haven’t read the two Indian EPICs (Ramayan & Mahabaratha) , u should not spread wrong message to others.

And I am not saying what RAM did was his sacrifice , It is the actions(KARMA) of Lord Vishnu and Ram Himself caused his grievance.

5. adya00

Mr. Somnath,

Thanks for letting me know about these verses. Indeed I did not know about them.
      But one thing, they are from Bhavishya Purana, they come after Vedas. If you want to take up all works then you will find many different things in all of them.

6. Somnath Singh

Have Given u the Yajurveda too , It comes in Vedas . There are many Will inform u tht too ……….

7. Vasim

Are these people really God’s or characters made ?
      Gods are not supposed have qualities of jealousy, carelessness, getting cursed, aren’t they supposed to be strong?

8. Somnath Singh

if Mother Anusuiya(Mere Human) can confine Bharma , Vishnu , Shiva as her Children , that even three Gods cannot hav done anything before the power of Pativrata. That Proves tht Even God are subjected to getting Cursed !! GOD are strong to those who are against the humanity not for those who does there karma and Dharma !!

9. desifemale2015@gmaail.com

i agree 100% . gods r only weak men and woman!!

31. Shilpi

Adya..I really appretiate yur courage to fight against the patriarchs…whu encourage suppression of women..,on the name of culture n mythology..and justify by giving knowledge of it…. Pls continue going by your knowlwedge and understanding …and not as guided … 🙂

32. Somnath Singh

Your knowledge of “Vedic culture” is impartial as you are lost or deceived the wrong and distorted verses of the Vedas. You have a glitch to conclusion without putting into test the Authenticity of the Source u refer to. The link ( matrika-india) which u gave , contain the distorted meanings given by Muller. I checked each Hymns/Verses given there, all were rubbish and with distorted version of there own. U better refer to Authentic sources for Translation before u conclude and misleading other all well.

Cannot u understand that Sanskrit which is the unambiguous language that even Google Translate cannot translate, then how could u accept the translation which were done by Muller and Other British Scholar , just to degrade our culture , Same Goes with the Hoax of Aryan Invasion . This were very conspired by British and you are one of theirs victim.

1. adya00

Do you know sanskrit very well?

2. Somnath Singh

Shankaracharya knew about sanskrit and so do Dr Tulsi Ram. The Question is about wht is authentic wht is not.. And so far you link u gave contain all distorted verses of VEDAS and this is clearly to misguide others. I have seen on several instance more latest example is “Wendy Doniger” (whose views are all biased and minimal fact) just attack other culture to prove her whims and fancies.

Same goes for the Religious Lunatics and his blind followers like Zakir Nair, Who stress that Widow Burning is there in Vedas (which is done intentionally to bash the Wisdom of Vedas in order to propagate his faith by Lies and pre-assumptions), Instead Vedas says about Widow Remarriage. And also quoting incomplete verse from Vedas to say “God has No Image”, All his propaganda of Vedas are refuted and false so far.

3. Indian

Then why did Raja ram mohan roy and likes fought against the preachings of the Vedas that they were considered as infallible

4. Somnath Singh

Look here comes another ignorant fool to say Raja Rammohan Roy was against Vedas !! Even He and Muller both appreciates the teaching of Vedas !! Go and get admission in School and restudy History kiddo !!

Raja RamMohan Roy was against the Evil custom of Widow Burning and that is wht VEDAS say so check it out …

RigVedas 10.18.8 :- Rise, O Woman, to a new phase of life , your husband is now dead and gone. Come take the hand of this man from among the living who offers to take your hand and maintain you and live in consort with this other and new husband of yours for a life time.

33. Manasi

Adya,

Very well written! I have told this to many of my friends and they have given me looks like – ” OMG such an atheist!! shhhh dont talk like that” ; You spoke my words. Most of the girls grow up just to please the people in their life, to sacrifice and to sit in a corner and sob.

34. Abhishek

Was Shri Ram a good Husband???
    I have to be honest; this question has bothered more and more people in ‘recent’ times, women in particular because they feel abandoning a pregnant wife makes Shri Ram a bad husband, sure they do have a valid point and hence the article. But passing such grave judgments against any human let alone God cannot be without the totality of the Karta (Doer), Karm (Act) and Neeyat (Intention). The Karta here is Shri Ram, the Karm here is that he abandoned Mata Sita, Neeyat is the one we would explore below. To consider the totality before passing judgments is important because killing someone (Act) becomes valid when done by a soldier (Karta) because of his Neeyat (Intention) but if done by a terrorist (Karta) the same act becomes horrendous.
    So, let us explore in totality how Shri Ram chose to lead his life:
    • He was the first King and God in the whole world, whose first promise to his wife was that all through his life, he would never even gaze at another woman with ill intent. Now, this is not a small thing, while many beliefs allow men of polygamy even today. Shri Ram had set this trend thousands of years ago when it was common to have more than one wife, his own father Raja Dashrath had 4 wives and I hope people do give him the credit for understanding pain of women when they have to share their husband with another woman, also the respect and love that he showed towards his wife by making this promise
    • The promise was the starting point of their beautiful ‘real’ relationship and built a mutual love and respect for each other, for a woman the assurance from her Husband, a Prince that he is hers for the rest of his life is a very big thing, this might be one of the reason why Mata Sita chose to go along with Shri Ram to Vanvas (Exile), for he had become the world for her, and the comforts of the kingdom were pale in comparison to the companionship of Shri Ram
    • They lived affectionately in the Vanvas (Exile) and Shri Ram tried to provide all the comforts he could to Mata Sita, he genuinely wanted her to be happy. How else would you justify God himself running like an ordinary man behind a deer to please his wife? Even then, he had asked his younger brother Lakshman to take care of her; this shows that though he was acting in love he still had the presence of mind to make sure his wife would be safe. It was Mata Sita who got worried out of genuine concern and insisted Lakshman to search for his brother and ultimately crossed the Lakshman rekha (despite having been requested not to) to be abducted by Ravan
    • Shri Ram got worried and cried for the first time in his life, the man who didn’t feel an iota of remorse for leaving his own Kingdom behind only to keep the words of his father, who was the only one in the world to not only tie Shivji’s bow but break it, was on his knees pleading like a mere mortal, because he loved. Such anguish and pain can come only of genuine love and concern for the one you are worrying about
    • He then got ready to take on the most powerful person in the world in his own backyard. Supported by vanar-sena, he defeated the mighty Ravan (who by many till date is considered to be the greatest Pandit of all time, he was so powerful that the Navgrahas were totally under his control) and gifted the Lanka which he had fairly won to Vibhishan saying,
    जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी

(Janani Janma-bhoomi-scha Swargadapi Gariyasi) Mother and Motherland are superior to heaven; this shows he was not interested in being a King only of the land
    • Now, it is important to note here that once Shri Ram frees Mata Sita, he not even once questioned her “Why did you cross the Lakshman Rekha?” because he understood how much pain Mata Sita had been through in Ashok Vatika and how much faith and patience she had shown in Shri Ram when Ravan used all sorts of tricks to scare her. Shri Ram didn’t want to burden Mata Sita with guilt, he wanted to comfort her because he loved her
    • Once they got back, Shri Ram became the undisputed king of Ayodhya, probably the first democratic King, who was a clear choice of the people, to set up RamRajya
    • Unfortunately, like some people questions Shri Ram today, some very similar people questioned the sanctity of Mata Sita in those days. This hurt Shri Ram very deeply, especially because he believed “Na Bhitosmi Maranaadapi kevalam dushito yashah”, I fear dishonor more than death
    • Now, Shri Ram had two options 1) To be called a great man and keep Mata Sita with him, but he would not be able to stop people from questioning the sanctity of Mata Sita 2) To be called a bad husband and put Mata Sita through Agnee-Pariksha but make sure that no questions would ever be raised on the sanctity of Mata Sita in future
    • He chose option 2 (as we know this is not easy to do, once a person is accused of something, whether he committed that sin or not, the stigma would never leave that person), but Shri Ram managed to wipe that off Mata Sita’s character, he made sure that no one ever in future would dare to question Mata Sita, for him the honor of his wife was more important than him being called a “good husband” the honor of his wife was more important than his own honor. As we find today, there would be hardly any sane individual who would question Mata Sita’s character
    • Shri Ram suffered as much as Mata Sita after the separation if not more. It would have been very easy for him to marry someone else and lead a family life; instead he chose to keep his promise to not marry again. He chose to stay away from the love of his life and his children. The sacrifices of both are exemplary, the love and respect they showed for each other is unparalleled.

I bow down to the sacrifice of Shri Ram and Mata Sita, and request fellow humans to be more considerate in their criticism of Shri Ram. Let us not repeat what some people of Ayodhya did to their relationship long time ago
    Jai Siya Ram

35. Abhishek

Was Shri Ram a good Husband???
    • Shri Ram got worried and cried for the first time in his life, the man who didn’t feel an iota of remorse for leaving his own Kingdom behind, only to keep the words of his father, who was the only one in the world to not only tie Shivji’s bow but break it, was on his knees pleading like a mere mortal, because he loved. Such anguish and pain can come only of genuine love and concern for the one you are worrying about
    जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी

Jai Siya Ram

1. Prashant Kaushik

Thanks for this Great compilation. I think this should be a final answer and solution to all those having any doubts regarding the Lord.
      Esp. one of the last, para, the same I have been explaining for last many years to my friends.

҉ۢ Now, Shri Ram had two options 1) To be called a great man and keep Mata Sita with him, but he would not be able to stop people from questioning the sanctity of Mata Sita 2) To be called a bad husband and put Mata Sita through Agnee-Pariksha but make sure that no questions would ever be raised on the sanctity of Mata Sita in future
      • He chose option 2 (as we know this is not easy to do, once a person is accused of something, whether he committed that sin or not, the stigma would never leave that person), but Shri Ram managed to wipe that off Mata Sita’s character, he made sure that no one ever in future would dare to question Mata Sita, for him the honor of his wife was more important than him being called a “good husband” the honor of his wife was more important than his own honor. As we find today, there would be hardly any sane individual who would question Mata Sita’s character”

2. Deepak

good point!!!

36. Ajinkya Mujumdar

Let me congratulate the author a hundred times for this beautifully written and well researched article. Yes indeed we do need a reality check before referring to our culture and tradition in a way we have been doing. I would have loved to put up a detailed and a more comprehensive comment putting up my views on each issue that has been raised but a lot of water has flown since the article has been putup covering all what I share. I appreciate youth ki awaaz for the courage they have shown to publish the same.

37. sujatha

Ram and Sita are divine couple. They had a great married life when in Ayodhya and also when both of them had been in the jungle till Sita was abducted. Sita had always wondered abt the greatest qualities of Ram, which we ouselves also know. Simplest and most important quality being sending back Ravana to come next day during the war. There are lots and lots of such evidences abt the greatest qualities of Ram and Sita throughout Ramayana. Having known all abt this, and Rama is one of the Gods who is full of compassion and love and when he displayed such an attitude even towards his enemy, can he be cruel to his dear wife? We shd not compare the divine couple` action and rationale with those of our normal human actions. There are millions of reasoning behind every action of the divine, we shd not use our minds to analyze the right or wrong of Gods is my humble opinion.

1. Aadrita

hi there i see many people here are put off cause they think of this article as blasphemy OMG questioning actions of GOD how dare you author? well people there you go it’s because of you people that our country is still backward people who are hypocrites of the first grade often use the name of god to justify their sick mentality. and taking about our great tradition well child marriage, sati, torturing the widows and dowry were also part of out so called tradition. Now coming to ramchandra the great well i personally think he is far from being uttam but he was the perfect purush of the patriarchal society . Basically you are telling me that a woman (Ahillya) should be punished cause a god (Indra) ticked and raped her. It’s ok and chivalrous even to kill and mutilate women Tadaka, Surpanaka, Ayomuhki ,Surasa ,Simhika ,Lankini and Chandrasena in the name of taming the wild cause you are hypocrite enough to accept male violence against women. And then it’s ok to doubt your wife and cast her away so that afterwards you can ask for the heir who will continue ur lineage who u have doubted earlier. And then u say that Ram had sacrificed his love for the people when it’s actually the greed of throne that made him cast away his wife U then call him Maryada purushuttam and call Sita Devi cause she didn’t protest and teach us that we should should bear all the insults and not say anything and worship Ram The God REALLY? Coming to the concept of god i feel that most gods in every religion that is, have a bad character they rape at will and punish women for getting raped. ( ya i m taking about medusa) this is so because religion is patriarchal in every sense there is no place for women in it they are just supposed to follow men let themselves being tortured by men and forgive them all of these stories teach us the same thing that a woman must not have a brain of her own. and taking about being a king first and husband later well as far as i remember bharat was doing the job quite efficiently so why not let him handle the throne and follow sita to the forest just as she had done for u let me guess that is because u are a greedy politician who love power more than ur wife. and by the way who told u guys that ram was GOD saw him with ur own eyes have u? he is a myth this whole religion and god thing is myth written by male chauvinist like u guys who would always support ram for his actions and sita for her inability to take firm stands. this whole religion thing is made up by men to dominate the other half of the society and gave it a divine position so that no one would ever question it then u keep women from education and teach them that sole purpose of their life is to serve their husbands just as sita did. ram saved sita from ravan because his reputation was at stake he did not want that people should call him a “namard” who couldn’t save his wife. where is the love man? and someone did said here that ram didn’t question sita why she had crossed lakshman rekha well that was because as soon as sita was freed from ravan the first thing ram told her was to get lost and do as she pleased as he had nothing to do with her from now onwards and then this ridiculus agnipariksha thing well this is like witch burning isn’t it if u don’t get burned by the fire then we’ll stone u as u r a witch and if u die in the fire then well sorry there. our society like sita better cause she didn’t protest and that’s how exactly they want the women to be and coming to the part that he didn’t get married to someone else for rest of his life well u really don’t need to get married to enjoy life do u and how do we know that his character was doodh ka dhula just because the author hadn’t wrote it about him and anyways he was not doing a favour on sita by not getting married he had already done all in his power to insult and destroy her life but he had really done a favor to the rest of womenkind by not spoiling someone else’s life this way.

2. desifemale2015@gmaail.com

ram was a lousy useless husband. and a shame to all men!!

38. Shubham

To the people who are crying foul about their religious sentiments being hurt, well just learn to deal with it. In a free society, no aspect of existence should be beyond the realm of questioning and criticism, and religion/scritpure is no exception. If you are so easily offended, just stay away from such articles and opinions.
    And what about the offence caused to non-believers? We should be offended everyday given the violence and suffering in the world inflicted in the name of religion. Do you ever see non-believers protesting violently, rioting, stifling freedoms, banning books/articles and the like?

39. Indian

Religion is the main culprit for all the miss happenings in this world…start been an atheist think logic think science then all seems good for everyone…..by the way Ramayan was nothing but a fictional writing of a dacoit turned Sadhu …so all the more it is man made ….Same is the condition of every other religious book and as along as people keep following them superstitously …the society will continue to suffer

1. desifemale2015@gmaail.com

religion has caused more deaths and more grief in this universe , than any other aspects of life. and men have used religion to harm woman and to cause great grief to fellow humans. so religion shud be banned or only practiced privately but not in public domain!!

40. Esha

You go girl! Couldn’t agree more!

41. SanathanaDharmi

It’s very disheartening that you publish such maligning articles without doing proper research and consulting scholars in that field. If you feel there is some mistake in our scriptures, it is your duty to properly verify the facts and get to know the truth instead of voicing whatever comes to your mind.

BTW, Sita devi or Lakshmi is not forced to sit at Rama’s or Vishnu’s feet, it is by pure love that Sita wants to do that. Haven’t you ever observed father serving the mother or such mutual exchange of service by lovers. Lord Balaji in Tirumala has Lakshmi on his chest, so does every other idol of Vishnu.

YouthKiAwaaz, please stop publishing anything and everything that people submit without foreseeing consequences in hearts of people. It holds true for your other sections too, but particularly in religion any doubts about any characters in it will have to be answered by that scripture only. None of us, have the authority to change the facts.

1. sujay

Booo..
      Congrats u r resoundingly a hypocrite.

2. Somnath Singh

Congo u sound like a Ignorant & illiterate Subborn as Mule !!

3. Urna

Congratulations. You just proved the author’s point.

4. Somnath Singh

The Author as ignorant and blind toward complete fact !! She does has complete partial knowledge and leads to speak of her hollow words here ..

42. Kulbhushan Singhal

Hindus by and large are afraid to accept Shri Ram as human incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Once we accept Shri Ram as Avatar, who came on this earth for establishing Dharm, we then have to start looking at all important events in which he was involved differently and to find what the Dharm was, which HE tried to establish.
    Now the question is Why do you want to look for supernatural powers in history where NONE exists?
    Let us analyze the events preceding the abduction of Sita as provided in Valmiki Ramayan and what possibly could actually have happened, and for that we need to ignore the use of supernatural powers assigned to various characters.
    Agni Pariksha at that time had religious sanctity, Ram actually asked Sita for Agni Pariksha, because as victorious army chief, he wanted to return to Ayodhya with his wife, whose piousness was accepted by religion. After all she was going to be the queen of Ayodhya.
    That DOES NOT mean Shri Ram had had any doubt about the character or loyality of Sita.He was simply following a Maryada or one can say NOBELEST TRADITION of that time.
    Excerpts from the post: ‘King Ram REJECTED the results of Agni Pariksha and held that the only time when Sita was on her own, free to make her own decision, and under no duress, was when she was alone in Panchvati. Her decision to cross the Lakshman Rekha, without the use of any external force, can also be construed as her consent to go with Ravana. He also observed, that after his victory over Ravana, none of the action of Sita can be construed to be her own free decision and without any duress. He further said that it is true that, as a King, it is difficult to reject the result of Agni Pariksha, because it has religious sanctity, but he would like to go with People’s representative in as much that although Agni Pariksha required special skills, but those skills in no way certify the loyalty or chastity of the lady. He DISOWNED SITA AND TOLD HER TO GO WHERE EVER SHE DESIRED TO GO.
    ‘He also declared that hence forth Agni Pariksha will not be used for certifying or testifying the loyalty or chastity of a female. Use of Agni Pariksha will be deemed to be an act of ADHARM and NOT an act of dharm, he declared. He also declared that if ever he became a Chakravarti Samraat (one whose writ runs all across the globe), he would make sure that such dastardly acts are never performed by humanity in all ages and yugs. ‘
    PLEASE READ FULL POST BY CLICKING ON THE LINK below, & THEN COMMENT
    AGNI PARIKSHA OF SITA ….FACTS post URL : http://awara32.blogspot.com/2009/02/agni-pariksha-of-sita-facts.html

43. Bighnaraj

Chaahay Geetaa baanchiye, yaa padhiye Quraan
    mera tera (hum sab ka) pyaar hi har pustak kaa gyaan..

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama
    Rama Rama Hare Hare

44. ดูทีวีออนไลน์

hello!,I really like your writing very a lot! percentage we keep in touch extra about your post on AOL?
    I need an expert in this space to unravel my problem.

May be that is you! Looking ahead to peer you.

45. NISHANT GADKARI

Understand the intensity of relationships
    Jeevan Mantra Desk | Jan 20, 2011, 10:33AM IST

Shri Rama was preparing to go for fourteen years of exile and wanted that Sita should not accompany him on that arduous journey on foot, instead, she should stay with her mother-in-law-Kaushalya.

Kaushalya also wanted her daughter-in-law not to take up the journey which was filled with dangers and unexpected occurrences.or accompany his son herself along with sita abandoning his husband dashrath.

Here we see a unique bond between son, mother and daughter-in-law. This unique bonding today’s world has either shaped up relationships or created bitterness. With the patience of Shri Rama, sensibility of Sita and profundity of Kaushalya, the course of history in the entire Raghuvansh was changed forever. All these epic characters, through their lives portray certain lessons which might look trivial or insignificant superficially but carry huge and grave messages substantially.
    The differences or clashes which erupt between husband and wife or between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law have got psychological basis to it. It is quite natural to be happy when somebody is dependent on us and a strange feeling of elevation runs down through us believing that we are the only ones who can fulfill his necessities.
    For example, we take care of our children because they depend upon us and we are happy in rearing them up. But as soon as they grow up, they stop looking for our help or attendance as now they are capable enough to look after themselves.
    After marriage they are filled with sense of responsibility towards their family and get immensely involved into it. From here on, a strange psychological struggle starts and psychic conflict comes up to the surface building up the ground for the age old war between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. The most vulnerable character in this case is mother-in-law who is unable to gulp down the fact that her son is no longer needs her attention and not at all dependent on her.
    She is irked seeing that her son aged 25 has been fooled within 5 minutes by this new lady of his life where as she spend her life in brining him up to the age of 25 infusing wit and wisdom into him! “The one who is totally dependent in me for last 25 years in now dependent on this new love of his life” – Very hard for the mother to keep this notion off her limits.
    The same conflict erupts between husband and wife when they try to impose their supremacy on one another. In this tussle and tug of war they miss the point that the very basis of married life lies in love. The family which has been tied around the focal point called love, the driving force, will never succumb to ego and false pride because in the realm of Love there is no room for big or small, me or you, low or high, mine or thine and hence all the doors leading to antagonism automatically shut down.

46. Sona

Lord Ram Sri Ram is great, he’s Maryaada Purushottam. Can you tell about any man who is great like Him, who has the Maryaada Purushottam qualities like Him? If every man on this earth try to be Maryaada Purushottam like Shree Ram so no girl/woman will fear that her husband may marry again and she will have to share her huaband or leave her husband because she will know that his husband is Maryaada Purushotta Sree Ra who can never do these wrong things.

47. anurag

Aap choti soch wale hai harishchandra ko bhi galat Bata denge dharm ka palan ram ne kiya tha praza Ke liye ram ne sita ko choda sita ka viyog(dukh) ram ko bhi tha aam soch rakhne wale yahi sochenge ram galat hai aur ramayan bhi sita maya hai Jo bhagwaan ne rachi hai aur khatma bhi wo hi karega parvati durga laxmi sab maya hai Jo bhagwaan brahma Vishnu Mahesh ne rachi hai duniya banane ke liye khatma bhi vohi karega shiv Ki dasi durga hai Vishnu Ki laxmi kaha hai na bhagwaan Ki maya hai

48. print on the fence

The story of Sita alone going to exile doesn’t appear in Valmiki Ramayan or Kambaramayanam, a tamil Ramayan by Kambar.
    It appears only in Tulsidas Ramcharit Manas which were inspired by buddhist derived literatures where human cannot be perfect
    and has to be confined to moral standards of the society.

It is baffling and misleading that washer accuses the king and his wife of improper behaviour when he himself is physically torturing his wife.
    The whole story doesn’t fit in. It should also be remembered that TulsiDas RamcharitManas was highly disputed during his times.
    It was popularized by Moghul Emperor, Akbar, probably with an attempt to subdue indian women.

Hope you get the perspective.

49. Anamika

I wish you had read the Ramayan,specially Valmiki Ramayan before coming to conclusions.Of course,at the cost of being called “orthodox”please allow me to clarify a few points.First,let us remember that Ram,apart from being a husband,was also a king for wjom his kingly duties came before his duty as a husband.Thw king and queen had to be exemplary people,towering so high morally that there could not be even a whiff of a rumour against them.When Ram hears Sita’s name being besmirched,it was Ram the king who had to take this unpleasant decision.I do not know if you have read this,Ram lead the life of an ascetic,shunning all kingly pleasures afterbbanishing Sita and not “kicking” her as you prefer to call it.The fact that he got an idol of Sita made for the Ashwamedh proves that he never doubted her chastity.The problem with us is that we feel the touchstone of modernity is you shoul be able to villify wwhatever was held sacred and run down the heroes whether historical or mythological.This tendency is more prevalent among us Hindus who seem to be suffering more from an inferiority complex,clearly a colonial hangover.Before you form such strong opinions, do read the text with an unbiased mind.

50. honey kosare

what government did to society is not a problem…actually people don’t want to change themselves…ye pehle bhi GULAM THE AAJ BHI HAIN AUR AGE BHI RAHENGE…DHARM ke SAMAJ ke GOVT. ke PARENTS ke TEACHERS ke GUNDO ke…DON’T FOLLOW ANYONE BLINDLY..USE YOUR BRAIN..EXAMINE THE CAUSE..FIND THE SOLUTION..APPLY IT..SEE THE RESULTS…YOU’ll be AMAZED…..!!!

51. Kumar

Great! This site is called youthkiawaaz. It is true only in part. There should be a prefix to the “youth” here – misguided could be one very close. Before your blood boils (if it hasn’t already) & you reach out to your smartphone key boards to type out some abuses to counter – I am giving the reason for why I am saying this. By reading one article (with a reference well provided in the article/blogpost) or watching maybe a translated & cinematic/televised versions of Ramayana or any other epic if someone starts throwing opinions, that’s not balanced view. It’s like when some one makes a terrible pizza, blaming the wheat is not a sensible thing. Thank god she also talked about Durga/Shakti. But she seems to be misguided again on the importance given to “She” Gods. There are significant number of festivals & celebrations that glorify Goddeses and are ample inspirations for mankind (or let it be womenkind lest it’s misunderstood as masochist) to emulate. Before judging Sita as a helpless woman waiting to be rescued by a man – “Rama” – read the Valmiki Ramayana with a thousand great interpretations on how Rama is not complete without Sita inspire of his valor, kingdom, riches etc. What does Sita give Rama? Everything! It’s quite okay for one to wish not to have a Husband like Ram – that’s ones personal choice. One can even wish to have a Ravana for Husband. That’s nothing to be scorned at. Everyone has their own reasons. I just hope those reasons are based on full knowledge & understanding rather than half facts& by watching just cartoon/animated movies.

52. Prasad

One thing straight, better get your facts right before making your tongue dance naked between your teeth….. This is crap…. and it clearly shows that you have no idea of what happened actually….. you have few bunch of assholes, dipshits and oxymorons supporting your baseless theory…… Sita proudly accepted that rama was her husband and the reason was, when lord siva bow was bent by rama, he didnt marry sita, as a matter of fact he told janaka that it was his dharma as a king to accept challenges and told janaka to ask dasaratha regarding his marriage. This is what the importance given to parents and to dharma. And ya, it was very easy for you to say that rama abandoned sita, are you nuts? you thought only we feel pain if our husband/ wife leaves us? he didnt leave sita and he literally requested everyone in his kingdom that he wanted to live with sita, and was ready to leave the throne inorder to live with sita, but people loved the way rama ruled, no one accepted him to leave the throne and yes, he is the perfect defination and example of a king, a king must obey peoples order and yes, he did…. he ruled and sita felt proud that her husband followed dharma…. this shows how rama followed dharma and you yourself said sita is adi sakthi and you though she couldn’t understand all these things? The greatest truth is, people like you will judge god and Lord Krishna knew it and that’s why, before letting out Bhagavat Geeta, in krishnaavatar, he first lived like a human being in raamaavatar and showed us that it is “POSSIBLE” to follow geeta and yes, he literally followed geeta in raamaavatar and then revealed it in Krishnaavatar. What do you think of yourself? what right do you have to speak about them is such an ill manner…. you may accept if someone speaks ill about you or your people, but not everyone are like you. You are an empty headed animal food truf…. you and your stupid theory…. first try to behave like a woman, then you can speak about woman rights. He is considered as ideal, not because of fools like you, but because he gave value to everyone and everything in his life. You couldn’t respect him and leave about me, you cant even respect your own parents….. just sitting under an ac/fan and having a lappy on your table with an internet connection……. woww….. you are sick… first know what things are….. and if you really want to change, then make sure you are not surrounded with a bunch of assholes….. but unfortunately, you being one of them and sorry, never deserve any respect more than this…..

53. Parakh Saxena

Adya you know what is the problem with girls like you that you never go to proofs you just listen what people says but never do self analysis. First read actual ramayan. You will demand for husband like ram. Ram did not send her texile but she went on her own wish because she wanted her children to be religious. Second thing krishna never stolen the clothes of womens there is no such line in Mahabharat. So before blaming someone just think and analyze once.

You were also talking that women is not treated equally so for your kind information Hinduism is the only religion where godess exists otherwise see other religions, see islam.

Now fourth thing ‘यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यंते रमन्ते तत्र देवता’ this line is written by male sages ok so from next time do not post anything just to show your intelligence. You are a daughter of great ancestors, our culture and religion is great. First understand lord ram don’t go to sagar arts production.

1. Shreya Bajpai

Exactly…you said correct..miss adya first you read ramayan..then you will understand .

54. Vinay Singh

You are Wrong Adya Vac,
    First Thing lord Rama never asked for any Agni Pariksha .
    As we know Lord Rama is not a ordinnart human , he knows everything of past , future and persent . That Why He Hide the Real Sita in the protection of Agni Deva and create a Shadow Sita .
    The time of Agni Pariksha , Lakashmna Asked Rama , Bhaiya How could you do
    this do bhabhi, Do you really doubt her ?

Lord Rama Replied ” There is no Question of doubt here , Sita is different from me .
    Then Lord Rama Told about the mystery of Real Sita .
    And the time of Agni Paiksha , Shadow Sita was Replaced by Real Sita.
    For the World it was Agni Pariksha but that was not true.
    Who can able to understand of lilas of Shri Rama. Untill he want to let it know.
    The Truth is :
    If Ravana touch Real Sita, He would burn to ashes.
    There no point Where You can Say Lord Rama is not Maryadit.
    No one able to be Rama .

Second Thing ,
    Nobody able get Husband like Lord Rama. No one Can be like him.
    He is Supreme Personality of God.
    The Yogis an

1. Vinay Singh

– d Devotees are eger to see just a glimps of him . You can only understand him by Bhakti .
      You know How Beautiful he is ?
      If you Collect Beauty of all universes , it will be a dot of his Beauty.

Hope You understand , Sister

ll Hare Krishna ll

2. Vinay Singh

I apologize for mistakes in typing ,
      because i was in a bit haste ,
      its not ”ordinnart” , its Ordinary

thanks

55. Venkatesh Vk

Lordess sita was exchanged from shadow lordess sita in that agni pariksha.
    And read the original mula Ramayana which contains more than 10,000shlokas and do you even know the curse got to lordess sita by a male parrot ??
    Two divine parrots once heard sage valmiki saying future adventure of lord Rama to his students. So the parrots were excited to see lordess sita and lord rama. They saw lord Rama and then went to lordess sita and told her about lord Rama.
    And then Lordess sita loved that female parrot because of its cuteness so lordess sita was not ready to leave her and then even after saying that the female parrot was pregnant lordess sita didn’t agreed. So the angry male parrot cursed lordess Sita that lordess sita would also be separated from lord Rama when when she would be pregnant and the male parrot in his next incarnation was the washermen of the village who doubted. Lord Rama was not ready but it was lordess sita who wanted to go for the respect of her husband. Lord Rama never married another girl just had statue of lordess sita and worshipped it everyday. And if like lordess sita would have know that communists like you criticize lord Rama for this then she wouldn’t have went.
    You don’t go for proof but you believe what communists say.
    Even I was in the trap of communists who criticized Hindu gods without any proof and then you have something called Google search the original source in it. Read it and then come to criticize.

56. 79Aurelius

So called youth, who don’t know anything about Sanatan dharma… Commenting on lord Ram is quite popular these days among so called youth… First learn about your culture & dharma… don’t read penguin’s English version of Ramayana, Mahabharat, Geeta and Vedas & other texts… I think you did not understand the real meaning of Ramayana & ‘Maryada Purushotam Ram’

57. Vrajesh Sony

You will never understand Lord Ram. You can never understand how much he loved her. He could have happily married another woman after sending Maa Sita to exile. But he didn’t. He was equally depressed with the people’s verdict. But why I am telling all this to you who’s eyes are forever closed.

58. Vrajesh Sony

And don’t say that Sita was kicked out by Lord Ram. A deity like Lord Ram would never do that to an SatiNaari like Maa Sita, understood?

More from Adya Vac

By Birbal Jha

By Sakshi Kotwal