This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sahil Sankhla. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

11 Bollywood Movies You Don’t Want To Miss In 2014

More from Sahil Sankhla

By Sahil Sankhla: 

The year 2014 has already begun on a high for Bollywood due to the smashing success of Dhoom 3 and there is much more to look forward to in the coming months. Here is a list of 11 movies that you can’t afford to miss in this new year:

1. Dedh Ishqiya (directed by Abhishek Chaubey)
dedh ishqiya

After the enormous success of Ishqiya, director Abhishek Chaubey comes out with its sequel titled “Dedh Ishqiya” which stars Naseeruddin Shah, Arshad Warsi, Madhuri Dixit, Huma Qureshi and Vijay Raaz. The film has already been released and is getting a lot of critical acclaim. Even Naseer sahab feels that it is better than “Ishqiya”.
Eye catchers: The Script, Naseeruddin Shah’s acting.

2. Lakshmi (directed by Nagesh Kukunoor)
2

Lakshmi is the story of a 13-year-old girl’s heroism and untold courage who is thrown into prostitution and is brutally raped and beaten. She is rescued in a police raid and despite the violent threats and corrupt system, she stands against all odds to put her traffickers behind bars.
Eye catchers: Nagesh Kukunoor’s direction, the story-line.

3. Highway (directed by Imtiaz Ali)
highway-movie

Highway is a story of two individuals, Alia Bhatt and Randeep Hooda, from very different backgrounds where the jaunty Alia Bhatt is shown experiencing a variety of emotions during her travel across different states with her abductors, one of those being Hooda himself. In bondage she finds freedom.
Eye(and ear) catchers: Imtiaz Ali’s direction, A.R. Rahman’s music

4. Gulaab Gang (directed by Soumik Sen)
gulaab gang

The dancing queen of Bollywood Madhuri Dixit and the bubbly girl Juhi Chawla in never seen avatars are certainly going to blow off your mind and take away your heart if you are a quality movie lover. The story is reported to be based on the life Sampat Pal, founder of Gulaabi Gang, who fights against domestic violence and other abuses against women in Uttar Pradesh although the director of the film denies any connection.
Eye Catchers: The battle between good(Madhuri) and evil(Juhi) and their screen appearance as a whole.

5. Hawaa Hawaai (directed by Amol Gupte)
hawa hawai

The director whose love and affection towards kids compelled him to make yet another children’s film which, I believe, will be loved by viewers of all age groups. After “Taare Zameen Par” and “Stanley ka Dabba”, he is back with his directorial venture titled “Hawaa Hawaai” which is a story of how a bunch of kids are brought together for a skating tournament. Amol Gupte’s extremely talented son, Partho Gupte (the lead actor in “Stanley ka Dabba“), will be seen in a pivotal role.
Eye catchers: Heart-warming script, pure and raw acting by extremely talented kids.

6. Samrat And Co. (directed by Kaushik Ghatak)
6

“Samrat and Co.” is expected to be the first of its kind detective movie which discovers the illegitimate aspects of crime solving in the world of private investigation. The lead actor, Rajeev Khandelwal (of the “Aamir” fame), will introduce audiences to the life of private detectives who utilize their raw intelligence and limited resources to solve their cases.
Eye Catchers: Rajeev Khandelwal’s superb acting skills, hopefully the story-line.

7. City Lights (directed by Hansal Mehta)
7

City Lights is an official remake of UK’s international award winning film Metro Manila. The film marks the coming together of director Hansal Mehta and actor Raj Kumar Yadav for the second time after Shahid. “City Lights” is about a poor farmer who moves to Mumbai to make a fortune and ameliorate his family’s life.
Eye Catchers: The story line, Locations, Raj Kumar Yadav’s acting.

8. P.K. (directed by Raju Hirani)
8

The most awaited film of 2014 has to be Aamir Khan starrer “P.K.”. The duo has already given Bollywood “3 Idiots”, a perfect film in all aspects and also the most loved film. Director Hirani has stated that the film will be a satire about “God and god-men”.
Eye Catchers: Raju Hirani’s direction and script, Aamir Khan’s acting.

9. Haider (directed by Vishal Bhardwaj)
9

The Vishal Bharadwaj directed film is the last of his trilogy based on Shakespearean tragedies(the first two being Maqbool based on Macbeth and Omkara based on Othello), Haider is an interpretation of Shakespeare’s revenge tragedy play, ‘Hamlet’. Starring Shahid Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor, the film is expected to re-establish Shahid Kapoor’s lost image.
Eye Catchers: Vishal Bhardwaj’s direction and his quality script.

10. Detective Byomkesh Bakshi (directed by Dibakar Banerjee)
Byomkesh-Bakshi

The 90s kids would have heard the name of Byomkesh Bakshi before and as far as I know, their eyes would be sparkling with excitement at the thought of the film adaptation of one of the most successful detective characters in Bengali literature. The television adaption of the same used to telecast on DD National in 1993(Season 1) and 1997(Season 2). The much talented actor Sushant Singh Rajput would be playing the role of Detective Bakshi. Keeping aside the comparison between Rajit Kapoor and Sushant’s version of Byomkesh Bakshi, let’s hope to have a good film served on the platter.
Eye Catchers: Dibakar Banerjee’s direction, Sushant Rajput’s acting

11. Bombay Velvet (directed by Anurag Kashyap)
Bombay-Velvet

Bombay Velvet is based on historian Gyan Prakash’s book Mumbai Fables, a story of how the city of Mumbai became a metropolis in the background of love, greed, violence and jazz music. The film stars Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma in lead roles while Karan Johar plays the role of the primary antagonist.
Eye Catchers: Anurag Kashyap- the name says it all.

1. Sushant Taing

First of all – Congrats and Kudos. Attaboy Sahil 🙂 You’re a man of multiple talents and writing is surely one of them 🙂

Very happy to see your article being published 🙂

Dedh Ishqiya deserves the number # 1 Spot that’s testified by the equal amounts of critical appreciation and box office revenue it has gained.

Lakshmi, Hawa Hawwai & Highway seem to be the most interesting of the list. Gulaab Gang also looks promising (as its based on a real story) though I wonder if audiences will flock to the multiplexes in droves to watch a movie with no popular male actor as a protagonist and two ageing women as both protagonist (Madhuri) & antagonist (Juhi).

That being said, I don’t feel Shahid Kapoor can pull of the desi adaptation of Hamlet. He lacks the acting chops for it. Dancing shirtless can’t save him. This may end up like Mausam.

And I’m no Khandelwal fan, he’s an above average actor at best and a title like Samrat & Co. sounds very cheesy.

Wish this year ends with Kashyap’s Bombay Velvet and Dibakar’s Byomkesh Bakshi film (Rajput is perfect for the role).

And thanks a ton for not including SRK’s HAPPY NEW YEAR (y) (y) 🙂

2. kunal malhotra

lol the writer of this article doesn’t even know that Aamir khan made Taare zameen par and not amol gupte!!

1. Sahil Sankhla

Hello Kunal

Well the truth is that Amol Gupte made the entire film and he was assisted by Aamir Khan but he didn’t receive the much deserving credit. Instead he was simply named the script-writer of the film while Aamir Khan declared himself to be the director. If you know Amol Gupte and his works, you can easily identify from the film that TZP is Gupte’s direction.

3. Prabha

Not Vidya balan’s Bobby Jasus?

4. Baljeet Kaur

No place for Queen?

1. Sahil Sankhla

It wasn’t in my list at the start of the year but it, surely, is one beautiful film which has appeared out of the blue stealing the audience’s affection.

5. Aditi

You missed Queen and Bobby Jasoos

1. Sahil Sankhla

Hello Aditi

Although Vidya Balan is, presently, the best actress in India, the film never seemed to amaze me. Even in January when I had first read about the film, the only thing that caught my eye was Vidya’s variety of looks. But then you need to have a strong script to go well with the performance.

Queen’s success is majorly because of Kangana Ranaut’s out of the world performance. When I had compiled the list in January, I never believed that the story would serve well, looking at Kangana’s past acting record. But then we all get surprised and here we have Queen as, by far, one of the best films of 2014.

6. SS

What about Mardaani? And yeah, Bobby Jasoos.

7. vivek

Did you seriously miss out queen ?

1. Sahil Sankhla

Hi Vivek,

Queen’s success is majorly because of Kangana Ranaut’s out of the world performance and then the brilliant script. When I had compiled the list in January, I never believed that the story would serve well, looking at Kangana’s past acting record. But then we all get surprised and here we have Queen as, by far, one of the best films of 2014.

More from Sahil Sankhla

By Priyanka Mishra

By poorvi ammanagi

By Bloomsbury India