Can Legalizing Porn And Prostitution Help Reduce Rape?

Someone asked this question on Quora, the popular (and intelligent) question/answer network. Ruchika Airy’s comment on Quora hits the nail. Read the comment below, and the post further below.

Rape is not a crime of lust but a crime of power/dominance.
Pornography and prostitution are related to the former.Though they have been opposed on the grounds that they lead to objectification of women hence more rapes.
I still feels legalizing it would lead to less rapes.My reasons :
1.Pornography irrespective of being illegal or legal is viewed in every nation in the world.Legalizing it would atleast enable the regulation of the content of the porn esp. Rape porn.
Hence the place from which maximum teenagers get their sex education would atleast provide them with right notions.
2.Legalizing prostitution would provide a legal mechanism for sex workers to report if they are raped.

Read Quote of Ruchika Airy’s answer to Rape: Can legalizing porn and prostitution help reduce rape? on Quora

What are your views?

1. anshika srivastava

Hi,there has been a long debate on whether prostitution should be legalized or not. Some people think that legalization of prostitution would solve the problem, but its a more complex situation.
    Firstly legalization of prostitution would, as put forward by some people will improve the condition of the sex workers , thus reducing their exploitation. Authorities can also curb prostitution to a great level . But there is a flip side , if prostitution is legalized and these pimps, brothel owners and sex traffickers will capture more innocent victims and authorities fighting against it will have no reason to incarcerate such people , because they have not done anything wrong . Legalization, will legalize the buying of sex , not necessarily improve the condition of the prostitutes.
    So , in this case the best way to deal with the situation would be criminalizing the person buying sex , pimps , sex traffickers etc involved, and not the prostitute for selling/soliciting sex. This model is currently practiced Sweden , Norway and Iceland and has helped greatly in reducing sexual exploitation and improve the condition of these women .

1. anshika srivastava

To add one more thing I feel legalization of prostitution does not guarantee that rapes will be reduced. Rape is not every time for sexual gratification , it can be to take a revenge or teach a lesson, to show power and dominance. Men who commit such heinous acts will continue to do so.

2. Monistaf

Legalizing prostitution definitely provides an outlet for people that are sexually frustrated who could otherwise be potentially driven to commit crimes of opportunity and passion on some unwilling victim. It also provides a means for the state to regulate and tax it as any other legitimate business and mitigate the social stigma associated with being a sex worker. I do not see anything wrong with consensual sex between two (or more) adults where sexual favors are exchanged for money or other benefits. Pornography too, is fantasy, just like the dozens of soap’s on Indian TV. We could argue that these soap’s influence the behavior of their audience just as much as pornography can stir up sexual desire in both men and women. Why is one acceptable and the other wrong? What you or anyone else watches in the privacy of their own homes should not be of any concern. Even if it does contribute to rape in any way, it is a very small percentage of the audience that will try to act out their fantasies or exploit others. Just because violent video games can influence a sick mind to commit unspeakable acts of violence, it does not mean, we should ban video games. There is a 0.3 % chance of dying when you fly, but we take a chance on it because it is a very convenient form of travel for long distances. The rules, are simple, you can do what ever you want, as long as you do not hurt anyone emotionally, physically or financially. If it is porn that floats your boat, great. if you can afford to buy the company of exotic women, more power to you. The same is true for anything a woman wants to do to, as long as she is in compliance with the same set of rules (don’t hurt anyone).

By Aayush Pandey

By Sofia Babu

By Saroj Kumar Pattnaik