By Mayank Jain:
Republic Day is a much sought after holiday in January because the dry months of February and March with minimal holidays are ahead of us and Christmas hangover hasn’t left us yet. Since the Sunday and public holiday matches, chances are, you won’t have to work and there are ample number of things you can indulge yourself in. Here is your guide to spend a great Sunday:
1. Watch the Republic day Celebrations: Nothing can really match the pleasure of sitting at Rajpath and watching the great Indian parade through your own eyes. The grandeur of Indian military, culture and political power is shown through a splendid show of 30 tableaux from different states and union territories. The parade also includes regiment march and stunts from Indian military forces including air, water and territorial. The parade starts early in the morning at 9 AM with the flag hoisting so you should plan to get up early and not miss a single moment of the most colorful republic day celebration in the world.
2. Interact with an MP and ex-army men: There is never a bad time to think about the country and issues of national importance. Republic day is just the perfect day for you to attend one such interaction hosted by Grassroute India, which aims to bridge the gap between policy makers and the populace. The event will be held at Lodhi Road with the presence of Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of Parliament as well as several ex-servicemen of Indian Armed Forces. So, head over to India Islamic Cultural Centre at 4 PM for an enriching experience.
3. Revel in the glory of Indian Cinema: No matter which city you are living in, you can always feel patriotic and proud of the country by watching some great movies on the same theme. From Border, Lagaan to Lakshay and the all-time classic Purab Paschim, there are so many choices. My personal favourite happens to be Chak De India though.
4. Watch some hard hitting theater: Delhi is always buzzing with lots of theater activities and various original and adapted plays are scheduled for the republic day. You can choose to watch the play inspired by Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night at Kamani Auditorium, Delhi or if you happen to be in Mumbai you can watch an interesting comical take on the lives and times of some peculiar women which goes by the name “Vagina Monologues” happening at Palladium Mall at 6pm.
5. Dance your way to glory: This one is for all those in Kolkata! Electronic Dance Music has been defined by Sunburn festivals and the latest one is happening right in the heart of the city at St. Xavier’s college on 26th Jan from 5 PM. The festival has been hugely successful all over the country and it is sure to put you in a trance. So put on your party hats and dancing shoes and spend the evening of republic day in style.