This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Astha Agrawal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Caste Based Reservations Are Very Essential For Social Justice, Here’s Why I Think They Are A Necessity!

More from Astha Agrawal

By Astha Agarwal:

Last year in July, I had gone to a small village in Rajasthan. At the fringes of the village, which by no means was opulent, was a small alley of sweepers, at the end of which was a shanty where lived a man with half his body burnt and destroyed. While laying down the roof of his house, he got electrocuted by the electric pole nearby. He was saved but his livelihood ruined. Superficially, it sounds like a tragedy that could befell anybody. Only that it is not. If only he was not an ‘untouchable’ (I wonder whether untouchability has yet broken up with caste?), he would not at least have been absconded, if not supported, by the sarpanch of the village, the people of the village, and the authorities, all of whom blamed him for his (chosen) misfortune.

reservationsystemWhile there is little dissent over the fact that caste remains ubiquitous in India’s social fabric — marriage, religion, surnames and food — whether it (still) amounts to serious social stratification, especially economically and politically, has been widely contested. Some of the most powerful arguments against reservation policy in India are:

a) It is an anachronism; it has only given way to vote bank politics;

b) Economic disadvantage is a more deserved criterion for welfare;

c) All the benefits are cornered by the well-off from the ‘reserved’ category and the neediest are left out.

Firstly, when caste system is very much a reality in the 21st century, affirmative action cannot have outlived its use. Also vote-bank politics is not a gift of reservation. It has unfortunately played into its hands. And therefore, eradication of reservation will not mend the severed fabric of our electoral outfit. Secondly, underlying the economic criterion argument are two untenable assumptions:

a) Poverty is so overwhelming that one’s caste ceases to matter/operate.

b) Caste will be buried by economic development. Caste once again ceases to operate when you are rich. Now the question is, where does it function then? Affluence doesn’t abolish the bigotry of caste hierarchy. Even though the two are intricately connected, caste is not the same as class. Caste disparities do not dissipate with the supply of greater resources, especially, education and food. Between supply and consumption are murky waters of ‘accessibility’ which are mediated by caste. The disadvantage is not just in terms of access to resources but basic respect and dignity as well. Accessibility to dignity is not just a function of guaranteed employment, free food, and free education. Doing away with class will not do away with caste. Otherwise, why would caste system function fearlessly in United Kingdom? (Note that compelled by caste discrimination in United Kingdom, legal safeguards have been demanded). Thirdly, to argue that the relatively affluent should be excluded from the claim to reservation is to boldly conjecture that only the poor can represent socially disadvantaged and the affluent are not socially disadvantaged. Considering that implementation of RTE is dismal, food and health facilities are abysmal, the socially disadvantaged will never get to the universities and jobs! What will be the status of social representation then? According to a study, in comparison to the upper castes, so-called lower and backward castes have negligible community social organizations/trusts which can act as support systems. Unless substantial social representation is achieved, it gets even more evasive.

There is a trend among those from the ‘general’ category to totally neglect their privilege of having ‘born-twice’ while calculating merit. Upper castes (Bhrahmins-Baniya-Kshatriyas), which are numerically a minority in India, wield power and dominate civil services, university positions, legislative assemblies, Parliament, ministries, military and defence, RAW, intelligence agencies, and private sector of course! More than 90% of SC/ST workers are employed in the private sector and remain unprotected from possible discrimination. A pilot survey to identify Below Poverty Line (and we know the low BPL hits) found out that Scheduled Castes and Tribes constitute half of the total “poor, deprived households”. Caste system has firm roots; the mammoth tree has been expanding its branches and roots since time immemorial; and we hope to do away with it in less than 2/3 rd of a century? I wish we could do that. But we haven’t. And the culture of denial of its existence will only exacerbate the plight of those already facing exclusion. Nobody is suggesting that reservation is a panacea of all ills. Excessive reliance on the strong affirmative action without due emphasis on others like education have cost, among other things, the process its credibility. Politicians have unduly abused it but that shouldn’t degenerate the policy itself! The level playing field is still not ready, till then we cannot ask those tied in chains for centuries to run the race of merit. So yes, emancipation of any caste cannot be achieved by reservation; but neither without it. Instead of demanding abolition of reservation, and witnessing it fall on the deaf ears of our politicians, engage in creating greater pressure for improved access to education and health along with it, not against it. That will serve the purpose more effectively.

1. Rakesh Kumar Pandey

Can anybody share views here on the fact that in a metro (I live in Delhi) why caste discrimination is far less as compared to a place which is not so economically happening? I see a trend in the arguments similar to those offered in the article here that often identify the symptom of the disease properly but without finding its root cause advocate to prescribe a medicine that is not for cure exactly. Tell me if even after availing the reservation facility we continue to feel discriminated against then the policy is either entirely inadequate or it is not targeted to eradicate the disease.

1. Anirvan S

Its not targeted to eradicate the disease… not at least in the sense it was created by Dr. Ambedkar in the first place.

2. Anirvan S

What you said about SC/ST reservation is very true… abolition of reservation would be in a way step backward in the process of uplift of those downtrodden by centuries of discrimination. But I think your argument holds absolute only for the case of SCs/STs.

Reservation based on economic condition and exclusion of creamy layer is needed to be implemented for the cases involving Other Backward Castes (OBCs); if not to all included in the list then at least to those who have been included lately owing to their political clout. Otherwise the whole idea of bringing the deprived to an economic parity with the rest, in due course, will be diluted.

Other Backward Classes are not a historical entity such as those like scheduled tribes and castes; they are political entities born out of recommendation of a committee constituted to garner votes…based on studies and economic census as old as 1901.

Even so, a complete ban on even reservation for OBCs will be an undemocratic step because there do exist many Backward Classes in parts of our country who were historically deprived economically, if not socially like the SCs/STs. They do require the benefits of prolonged reservation policies to be able to stand-up on their feet.

But in general, the so called OBCs are mostly the socially dominant classes who use there political reach to get reservation for, again, political advantages. Cases in hand the “Yadavs”, of Bihar…neither socially ostracized nor economically deprived (at least not all of them). Another would be the demand of Gurjars in Haryana (historically, they are a martial race, not deprived class). Still there are Gorkhas from the hills of North Bengal (having there social order). Its among these that economic reservation criterion should be implemented.

Hence, though in ways touching on the humane side, politically correct with time… your article is too generalized a criticism on anti-reservation fronts, without delving into the depth of reservation politics. General and Open category candidates never revolted against the system till reservation policies were implemented only for the SC/ST categories. Its the creation of inequality among the equals that is worrisome and detrimental to healthy growth of the country, not the reservation for deprived…

1. not rahul gandhi!

well, this is a very biased article and i dont completely agree with the stats either. No one thinks abolishing reservation is the solution but having it isnt of any help either. it is creating a great chaos and hasnt proven to be a solution to anything. This country requires laws that are more concentrated towards educating both minorities and majorities against discrimination and laws that govern peoples basic rights. laws to ensure providing them with equal opportunities . any discimination against a person on the basis must be seriously punishable . reservation(at least the curent system) is just widening the disparities among the different caste(maybe i sound biased tooo.. just trying to balance out ,i guess)

2. Mohd Zeeshan Malik

absolutely right

3. Fakhruddin Godhrawala

The reservation system is ok but it has to be amended, nowadays the rich people who fall under SC/ST are benefiting out of this, in my college there are some people who have their own cars bungalows and the person got admission because of their SC/ST certificate.. the system needs to be ammedned so the real needy can benefit and also it should be fair that even merit is promoted..

4. Neha Mishra

I dont rely the stats covered here …and who said upper caste people are in majority ? due to this quota only now a days people are dying…in hospitals and ask the ministers who provided the quota , will he be getting operated by a quota student ? I hope not .!! instead of providing a zero IQ kid with a free seat …put all caste people through single exam and provide a waiver in fee or supplement their studies by private tution but please imcompetent students getting into colleges with not even making the cut off does not make sense to any education system.Just a cheap vote bank strategy!! Go and check in IITs which category of students are having difficulties in clearing exams..and why they remain unplaced till the end ..??

5. Veer

Biased and an absurd one sided article. Giving examples of a remote village in Rajasthan to Justify something happening in a PG medical college in New Delhi ? Cant see any logic here.
    Social and economic marginalization of SC/STs is a bottom up problem. It affects masses and say around 30-40 crores people.
    Reservation is a top down medicine, it benefits at the max say some 20 thousand people.
    Isn’t this enough to show the lack and ineffectiveness of this ?

Reservation is a pain killer but too much much of pain killers are fatal for liver.
    Similarly, Reservation must be used as a method of last resort, to be given in minimum quantities, and for minimum duration. No family should be allowed to take benefits twice, so that its benefits percolate down beyond the creamy layer.

6. KK Singh

Reservation to those who never got chance to compete their counter parts due social evil is justified but the aim must be 100% job for people who can work.
    In fact motto should be, rather must be, no work no food!

7. Rakesh Kumar Pandey

The reservation policy does attack the problem but eventually only pushes the problem to move towards another side. This approach will never eradicate the problem that stems from our social-attitude against dignity of work. Believe me, if I start cleaning roads at a place where nobody knows me, even I would be subjected to the same feeling by the residents of the colony that SCs and STs have gone through for ages. However, I am afraid, the problem will not get solved if the person cleaning roads in my colony become a police inspector, because the person who would then take up cleaning the same roads would then become our new target of ill-treatment. The real solution lies in our developing an attitude of respect for all kinds of job. The caste system in India is based on linking people with a job that is considered as “low”. To my mind, we would be able to get over this attitude if people engaged in a supposedly “high-profile” (reservation-ally sought after jobs) jobs are forced to get the feel of those jobs that they consider “low” and avoidable. Just as when Gandhiji started to carry excretion on his head he could have never hated those who were doing that job.

The fact that castes are linked with a particular job-profile needs no research according to my understanding. However it is also hopelessly true that even if a person has changed his/her job profile and has not been engaged to the job profile (to which his/her caste is linked to) right from his exhaustively known predecessors, the identification does not change in our society. But my point is that the problem is not that why I am not treated equally if I am also a teacher but happen to be a charmkar-(identified with those who work with leathers for their living) by my caste, and in fact the problem lies in our attitude because of which I was being ill-treated only because the job profile with which I was attached to was socially unacceptable and was treated as odd and hated one. If our society does not develop a sense of respect for all kinds of job then we will start treating even a so called “brahmin” as an SC/ST if he chooses such jobs for his/her lively-hood. One must understand that yes everyone of us should have an equal opportunity to take up a “high profile” job (this aspect is taken care by the reservation policy) but the disease will not be eradicated if we do not decisively decide to shun our approach of ill-treating those as inhuman who are engaged in the so called “low profile” jobs. The way in which we treat rickshaw-pullers, mesons, laborers, washermen, sweepers, rag-pickers, sewer cleaners, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, shoe-makers – unless that changes nothing is going to work. People will change but problem will continue to exist. It will remain an undeniable truth that to save all of them from being ill-treated we can never be able to make all of them as administrators, doctors, managers, contractors, police inspectors, teachers and engineers.

Ironically the reservation policy is not meant to demolish/abolish the so called “caste hierarchical order” against which people who support the policy of reservation love to fight for but it is merely to replace those currently engaged in a job that is considered as “high profile” with a new set of people.

Reservation policy, in this sense, is only a status quo-ists’ approach.

1. sushma

i am totally agree with rakesh kumar pandey’s thought. but what is the use of expressing the view on such plateform where we can just express and read the views of others about such issues?? but can not change the mindset of those who do the ill treatment with the sc caste like valmikis (jamadaars). Educated people like us who can use the internet media for raising the voice for any topic, are very well aware of the things /problems like hatred with the sc/st(chamaar/ valmikis) that are still present in the minds of high caste community like pandits,thakur baniya ,jaat etc.we should have to discuss/express our views by presenting ourselves physically in front of those high caste communitty people to change their mindset against the untouchability kind of issues with valmikis.they are serving us by cleaning severs streets toilets for a long time.they are uneducated ,they are poor they live in a area that is totally separeted from high caste community,they can not join our family functions.we dont like to go to their home because they are untouchable.some of those who are working at a good places or doing some renowned job they hide their identity due the fear of peopl’s hatred behaviour.why dont we start to do somthing on such kind of evil.if some people like you want do somthig for these people then plz contact me.i can gather some students of engg. colleges.but want to work with already formed group

also reply me @
      sushma.ace@gmail.com

2. Rakesh Kumar Pandey

Dear Sushma, one way of attacking this menace is what was shown by Gandhiji. Do it yourself to get the feel of what are they doing for you. We must learn to clean our toilets ourselves to keep us healthy. But modern way could also be used to enhance remuneration for the so called odd jobs to make these jobs financially attractive. A dry-cleaner in our era itself is not equated with a washer-man. A waste disposal industrialist is not equated with rag-pickers or sewer-cleaners. A hair stylist is treated differently as compared to a barber. Shoe makers are treated differently than shoe-stylists. Engineers are respected but not the mesons/electricians/plumbers. I have no doubt that only money separates them. Let us teach them how to use modern technologies to improve their output. Let us have courses designed for these jobs. Let us start making these jobs financially attractive and then we are bound to see people opting for becoming a plumber, mechanic, electrician, a house-cleaner, sewer-cleaner. That will not only help in developing an attitude of respecting dignity of work but also address to our problem of having very few financially attractive jobs.

8. nandini

I belong from a schedule caste. Each an every day i have been made to feel guilty about it. The hurting was it ,when i was denied a seat in a government institution .Why is it so?

9. dev

I hate reservation system. It’s just bad Politics, nothing else. “Vote Lo, Reservation Do.”

1. cutie

hello dev can you plz tell me?…yeh general or sc ka khel racha kisne hai tum hi logo ne na toh fir bhukto na issi reservation ko..bahut shonk tha na khudko high mein rakhne ka dusro ko low mein rakhne ka toh fir kyun rote ho ab..god ne tab akal di hoti na toh general sc banate hi nhi..jo galati purvajo se ho gai hai kya kisi ne usko sudharne ki koshish ki nhi na bas follow kiye ja rahe ho wohi galati..first change people thinking or apni bhi kro..say we all are human being n god is one okay..

10. ARPIT SHRIVASTAVA

Reservation in India is becoming a termite in its progress.We cannot envisage a developed India if we continue giving privileges to the undeserving.Merit is the solution of many problems which we are facing,and as far as upliftment is considered what wrong has the son of a poor farmer has done that he is denied a government seat and instead that seat is awarded to the son of a wealthy government official who scored very less marks as compared to the farmer’s son,just because the farmer’s son is general and the other boy belongs to a category he is entitled to various benefits which were entitled to his father as well when he was studying.Is it fair?
    If we have to compete in the international front and develop our country the youth in the most sought weapon for it and we cannot ruin the talent of our country by introducing reservation all around.B.R Ambedkar introduced the bill in 1950 for 10 years only but thanks to our greedy politicians the bill has been continuing for decades.It is high time we realize the importance of youth for our country and remove barriers like reservations or else the US economy will keep on flourishing because of all the indians who leave the country for lack of opportunities and fair governance and Indian will stiil be a developing country for another 50 years.

11. cutie

Reservation jb tak duniya hai tb rehni chahiye…bcoz still people believe in castesim.still have high or low caste bases discrimination..acha bhala india angrezo se azaadh hua tha tum ghatiyan logo ne society ko ek caste line mein devide kiya na krte sbhi ko hindu maan kr chalte toh aaj yeh reservation jaisi koi problems hi na hoti..bada shokn chada tha na khudh high rank mein rakhne ka dusro ko low mein rakhna bina unki marzi jane bcoz us time unki conditions poor thi tumhare paas paisa tha toh tumne khudko high rank mein rakh liya bt kaam tumhare low standard se bhi ghatiyan hai..jitne bhi crime hote hai woh brahmin kshatriya jaise logo ka haath hota hai unka..ab bhagwadh gita ka example le lo jo brahmin kul mein janma means ravan aaj ke samaye mein woh raksh hi samjha jata hai or valmiki jo shudra the apni knowledge ke bal pr usne sabe uscha staan prapt kiya hai..kya hoti hai high or low caste or kya hai yeh brahmin kshtriya or vaishya or shudra..khudh hi sb create krke khudh hi sbko prblems mein daal diya..kya god ne yeh ghatiyan kaam kiya i m sure god apne logo ko kbi high or low mein nhi rakhega…us time kuch logo mein knowledge kya thi uska itna galat fayda utha liya u should be ashamed of yourself..we all are hindu..no one is brahmin, no one is kshtriya, no one is vaishya n no one is shudra understood..india mein jo rehta hai woh sbhi hindu hai sb pehle insaan ke roop mein aate hai..baadh mein tum hindu,muslim, sikh or christian ho..yeh char religion kafi nhi the..discrimination krne ke liye jo char or le ke aa gaye ho..first say no caste n no community we all are hindu..prove kro isko khatam kro isko sbko ek nazar se dekho..inter caste marriage krke iss ghatiyan thinking ko khatam kro..we all are human being then anything else..jo india mein hai woh indian hai okh..n let me tell u one think…kuch lower caste issi baato se dukhi ho ke abroad chale gaye or kuch religion hi change kr chuke hai..sabse kam population toh pure world mein hindu logo ki hai..bt i happy hindu sbhi khatam hi ho jaye acha hai atleast yeh ghatiyan castesim high or low ka system toh khatam hoga aise toh kata hindu kbi nhi sunenge kbi na manenge..kitni zindgiyan kharab kr chuke ho iss castesim ki wajah se hua hai…schi mein narak mein jaye sbhi hindu dil se badhdua deti hun..pure world mein muslim budhist or christian ki populations badti rahe..bcoz tum nhi samjhoge or na shudharne wale ho..

12. cutie

kya muje tum log ek baat ka jawab de sakte ho ki abroad mein kyun marks or grade matter nhi rakhta hai sirf knowledge matter rakhti hai or work aap apni capability ke according hi krte not in india but in abroad..wahan jobs koi A,B,C grade pr nhi di jati hai jaisi interview hoti uske according di jati hai..or ek baat abroad mein bhi severage ka kaam hota hai roads pr se garbage uthane ka kaam hota hai wahan kyun nhi log discrimination jaisa kuch krte hai ki jo yeh kaam krta hai woh low hai jo church mein priest hai woh high hai..wahan char community kyun nhi hai bcoz unke paas aisa cheap sochne ka waqt nhi hai but india ke paas full on time hai iske liye..am i right?…soch ko badal doge toh sb acha hi hoga…society ko ek caste line mein devide krne wale bhi hum hi log hai sb ko hindu maan kr chale toh kya kbi reservation jaisa kuch system hota..now 21st century going on but ab bhi soh baar sochte ho inter caste marriage ke liye..hum kyun nhi samjhna chahte hai hum chote nhi ho jayenge agr hum caste se bahar nikal kr humanity ko dekhenge usko important denge..be true indian..

13. cutie

I dont know how to make understand indian people..sirf ek baat ka jawab do muje abroad mein koi high or low caste hai..bt india mein hai..kisne create ki apne aap se pucho..abroad mein jobs category ke bases nhi milti hai or na percentage ke bases pr or na hi addmission percentages pr hoti hai..sbko right hai educate hone ka..aisa india mein kyun nhi hai..there are lots of schools n colleges why not in india..apni soch badlo ek baar sbko ek hi nazar se dekho jaise abroad mein hai high or low hum apne behaivour n character se bante hai caste se nhi..sbko educate hone ka chance do sbko jobs do..bahut si jobs hum create kr sakte hai yeh govt ko krna chahiye agr woh corrupt na ho..kyun yeh condition rakhte ho ki jobs 50% or 60% ko milegi…zaruri nhi hai jiske marks kam hai uske paas knowledge kam hai ya woh ache se work nhi kr sakta hai or jiske marks high hai woh intelligent hai…yeh thinking hi galat hai jo koi bhi ho kbi kbi aisi situation paida hoti hai ki hum marks nhi le pate hai jyda bcoz kbi bimar ho jana financial problems hoti hai..family stress koi bhi reason ho sakte hai…or ek baat jitni jobs ki zarurat 70% wale ko hoti hai unti hi zarurat 50% wale ko bhi hoti hai…poor log bhi kbi 50% le lete hai toh kbi 70%.. general or sc ka jo jaal buna hai usko khatam kro sbhi hindu hai kuch intelligent hai kuch slow learner hai but we cant say they are not intelligent..time sb sikha deta hai..kuch log kehte hai jobs jo poor hai unko milni chahiye i agree with u…but yeh batao jo log sc certificate fake bana ke jobs le ke baithe hai jo real mein brahmin hai..jin logo ne hi yeh khel racha hai high or low ka…unke liye kitna mushkil hoga ek poor ka fake certificate bana lena or jobs le lena..i apke bhale ke liye keh rahi indian people aap sb bhul jayo or chodo iss castesim ko..kuch nhi rakha hai sivaye stress ke or apna dimaag kharab krne ke..yeh socho aisa kya kre ki jayda se jayda jobs create kr sake govt ki…ek example deti hun..aap sbne satyamev jayate2 ka episodes dekha hoga police wala..24hour police wale jobs krte hai family ko time nhi de pate hai..ab agr hum jis chownki pr 10 logo ko police ki jobs pr 24 hour rakh rahe hai wohi hum agr 20 rakh de or shift 12 hour kr de isse sbko govt jobs bhi mil jayegi or police wale bhi apni family ko time de sakegi..plz solution hamare paas hi hai…bas soch badlne ki zarurat hai..

14. cutie

Some stupid people living in India that’s why this country cant be develop anymore as the other countries are well developed. Bcoz indian people live in caste-ism and egoist by nature especially who belong to upper class which is created by themselves not created by God.God only created human being..He didnt put any human in high and low category..This cheap things only created by some mad people itself who live in India..and they be proud by called themselves hindu..I am also hindu but I feel bad when every person who proudly said they are hindu but their thinking is so narrow minded..now its depend on human what they want to become Devil or Angel..Nobody is lower and higher by caste or religion..they become high and low by their behavior..Reservation should be stop itself when you all leave this stupid casteism..Say no caste and no community..All are hindu who live in hindustaan understood..

15. cutie

Mr Arpit Shrivastav tum chahte ho ki job general walo ko hi milni chahiye bcoz woh high marks lete hai or unko bhi jo poor hote hai jo ki basically general hi hai..high marks wale lower mein bhi hai bt tum log unko na toh high walo ke saath compete krne doge bcoz yeh app logo ki ego ko sawal ho jata hai..mein castesim mein believe nhi krti hun na high low mein…jiske marks high hai low hai woh rich hai poor hai i dnt care..jobs sbko milni chahiye..jitni ek farmer ke poor son ko jaise apne kaha job ki zarurat hai uske marks ache hai bt unti jobs sc ko bhi chahiye uske marks bhale hi kam ho woh bhi jayda tar poor hi hote hai..marks kam or high kisi bhi aa sakte hai nhi le pata kbi family problems hoti hai ya kbi aap bimar pad jate hai aisa kisi ke saath bhi ho sakta hai hai..acha batao agr reservation na hoti ek sc jiske marks kam hai or woh bahut poor bhi hai..toh kya usko jobs nhi milni chahiye bt uske paas degree hai…jobs ki zarurat har ek ko hoti hai poor zaruri nhi general mein bhare pade hai jayda sc logo mein hai duniya se bahar nikal kr dekho…first yeh cheap castesim khatam honi chahiye..tum muje batao tum kis baat ke liye proud krte ho ki tum high class mein paida huye ho isliye ya intelligent ho isliye…intellgent toh ravan bhi tha but uski ego ne usko rakshas bana diya..phele true hindu fir indian bano okh dear..or jis din reservation khatam hui tb kata hindu ka or asli chehra samne aa jayega..i hope tab tak duniy hi khatam ho jaye bcoz yeh castesim kbi nhi khatam hone doge ..

16. cutie

We always talk about religion and castesim but in reality there is no any caste and religion. We all are same our blood are same.then why we believe in discrimination. God never created any caste they made simple human being.. Mentally sick people take the path of fundamentalism and spread casteism and communism. They suffer from inferiority complex and divide the society into “we” and “they”. They (belonging either to higher or lower ranked caste) have a fear in their heart that if they do not get a higher place for themselves in society, “other” people are going to exploit them and going to put them down.They don’t have believe on themselves and their own work. They have doubt own their capability. People with negative mindset suffer from inferiority complex and divide society into compartments like higher castes or lower castes.and can’t tolerate “others” progress or well-being. They cannot work hard and cannot tolerate anybody else’s achievements. These are the people with negative mindset who believe in ranking some belonging to higher castes and/or some to lower castes. They are coward and they are unable to protect themselves…

17. cutie

Hindu religion devided into four community..but again I m saying to all stupid people who living in india..caste and community only created by mentally sick people and who follow them they have something problem in their mind.four community name are Brahmin, kshatriya,vaishya,shurda. And its surprising we all India dnt know the exactly meaning of these four words..let me explain to you..brahmin means not that who born in high class..koi janam se uncha or nicha nhi hota hai.brahmin mean jo god ko janta hai usko apne samne dekha ho jisse brahma ka pata ho or apne acche karam se jana jaye na ki apni jaat se..agr Brahmin hone pr insaan ke karam gandhe hai toh who insaan ashudh mana jata hai who pavitr aatma nhi hoti hai…Kshatriya ka matlb hota hai weh yodha jo mantvta ki raksha hetu apne angg angg ko katva de..samksh praniyon ki raksha ke liye apni jaan kurbaan kr de or apne karam pr ghamand na dikhaye..Vaishya who hote hai jo apne kaam mein emaan dikhaye koi chori chakari na kre..apne kaam ko galat tareeqe se na kre..emaan ki kamai ko khaye haraam ki kamai ko haath na lagaye..Shudra ka matlb hota hai shudh or pavitr aatma….jis bande ke ander koi moh, maya, krodh or ahnkaar tak nhi hai jiska aacharn shudh ho or karam shudh ho wohi sacha shudra hai..jo apne karam par purn vishwaas rake…jiske karam ache nhi man mein ahnkaar hai who shudra nhi mana ja sakta hai..agr tum log shudra ko pero ka sathaan dete ko toh or unhe neecha mante ho toh kanjke pujna bandh kr do unke peron (feet) ko dohna unki puja krna bandh kr do..kisi devi devta ke mandir ja kr natmastak na ho or apne mata pita ke peron ko choo ke ashiwadh lena bandh kr do..

18. cutie

Whenever someone’s ask you about your caste then your answer should be to them is:
    I am a Brahmin in knowledge
    I am kshatriya in valor
    I am vaishya in business
    I m shudra in service
    In the end I am just sanatam dharmi hindu and nothing else..Then say you proud to be a hindu..

19. cutie

Hindu (body) four community: brahmin (head) kshatriya (arm) vaishya (belly) shudra (feet) All these four community called as hindu. We all are parts of one body. Without each part our body is not complete. If we lost one part of our body then we become handicap. The human body is the entire structure of a human being. Human Body is considered so loving that God even wants to have it. Spiritual Yogis have found that after going through the 84 millions species this souls get the most dignified human body. So it is the last step to explore the God or to get the view of almighty father god. We know that the soul never dies it takes birth again and again just like as we take new clothes to wear the soul as it takes new body and it is an infinite process. But the body what we get in next birth depend on our karma that has been cited in Gita by Lord Krishna to Arjuna. We all here to perform our duties. Our action makes our destiny and nothing else. The result is in the hand of supreme power. Karma is the seed of plant and if the seed is genuine it must be fruitful.

20. cutie

Many a time, man has taken birth in high caste and low caste; but this does not make him great or low Having been born in high caste man thinks himself to be great and being born in low caste thinks himself to be low and pitiable; both of these states of mind are wrong because many times man has been born in high and low castes. Hence, one should not be proud of having been born in high caste and not feel low if born in low caste family.
    Greatness has nothing to do with high caste. Man becomes great because of his noble work, exemplary character and becomes loathsome because of his immorality and evil conduct. Thus, it is his conduct only that decides his greatness or lowliness. Who does not know that high family born Ravana, Kansa, Duryodhana and others are censurable; whereas Metarya muni, Harikeshi muni and others, though born in low family, are venerable.
    Then, what is the importance of high or low caste?

1. Voice of reason

please stop commenting, you do not make sense

21. cutie

All human-beings are equal in the eyes of God.The human-beings have only created the caste system.There are good and bad people in both high caste as well as low caste.
    Ultimately,what matters to God is, whether one is a good person or striving to become one, or not.

22. cutie

pata nhi kon sa message or kon si baat kuch katar hindu and narrow minded hindu logo ki bandh ankhein kholega…and listen poor jo bhi ho general ya sc or unke marks bhale hi kam ho ya high both deserve to get a govt job so they can help their own family..arre choti post pr rakh lo work acha lage toh promote kr dena simple….jobs bahut hai corrupt politician ki wajah se kisi ko nhi mil pa rahi hai..kyun jahan village mein 6 teacher ki zarurat hai wahan 2 hi teacher rakhte ho..salary theek rakho or jahan 6 teacher ki zarurat hai utne hi rakho..

23. cutie

One who thinks himself to be of a high caste is actually low. While one who thinks himself/herself to be of low caste is said to be high caste.As per the scriptures, people are known by their nature and the quality of work they perform..

24. Prabhat kumar

Actually the benefit of the reservation do not reach the people who are in need…..the main reason for this is that deserving people are unaware of their right because of lack of education.

25. cutie

The brahmin community has been one of the dirty communities which has planned strategically to fool people in the name of god by generating the highest donations in the temple, doing business to fool and loot money in the name of puja, death, marriage, new home… For any occasion, there’s one puja. They charge very high prices and take away all the items after the puja. They have created prostitution in the name of devadasis. They suppress jobs and employment and welfare and equality are destroyed. they have destroyed the Indian medical system. They have killed Indian medical science like siddha vaidhyam and created ayurveda and carnatic music by destroying dravidian music. Even today they have the temples under their control. They say they don’t like untouchables, but they have always been sexually harassing low caste women.

26. cutie

The Almighty Brahmin! by Khushwant Singh
    Whatever be the sphere of curiosity – literary, scientific, bureaucratic, or whatever, the Brahmin remains the top dog. Before I give details, we should bear in mind that Brahmins form no more than 3.5% of the population of our country. My statistics come from a pen friend, Brother Stanny, of St. Anne’s Church of Dhule in Maharashtra.They hold as much as 70% of government jobs. In the senior echelons of the civil service from the rank of deputy secretaries upward, out of 500 there are 310 Brahmins, i.e. 63%. Of the 26 state chief secretaries, 19 are Brahmins; of the 27 Governors and Lt. Governors 13 are Brahmins; of the 16 Supreme Court Judges, 9 are Brahmins; of the 330 judges of High Courts, 166 are Brahmins; of 140 ambassadors, 58 are Brahmins; of the total 3,300 IAS officers, 76 [per cent?] are Brahmins. Of the 508 Lok Sabha members, 190 were Brahmins; of 244 in the Rajya Sabha, 89 are Brahmins.This 3.5% of Brahmin community of India holds between 36% to 63% of all the plum jobs available in the country.

27. cutie

Why is that ? I know a lot of brahmins who perform rituals and do pujas who can not even utter a sanskrit word properly – they think that I don’t understand sanskrit.
    I have corrected several Brahmins.
    and after a survey – i found out that these Brahmins are actually school/college dropouts
    who can not even pass 12th std. and they have very tiny knowledge about religion you can not even discuss a thing with them as they don’t know anything .
    and I wonder * why Hindu gods need “ONLY Brahmin Preists”

28. cutie

God doesn’t need Brahmin priest, god isn’t so narrow minded. god accept everyone. actually Brahmin priest needs god to make money.

29. Omkar

I support caste-based reservation. The only issue is – it does not help the needy ones. http://expenziv.blogspot.in/2013/09/improving-caste-based-reservations.html

30. Bestmicrowavereviews2014.com

Very soon this website will be famous among all blog people, due to it’s nice
    posts

31. bestplasmatvreviews2014.net

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Very helpful info particularly the last part 🙂 I deal with
    such information a lot. I used to be looking for this certain info for a long time.

Thanks and best of luck.

32. srinivas

Madam I would like to contradict ur thought !!! I just got a bit amazed by ur perspective of judging things when u felt – the burned out person who was neglected because he was untouchable n u have to write a post favoring Caste Based Reservations Are Very Essential For Social Justice is quite kiddish. you just think why his own caste people are not helping him even if they are provided reservations then why are u expecting other caste people will come to his help.. reservation has nothing to do with providing social justice it only further widen the gap among people on caste level. Caste system is the main reason why we lack prosperity n respect as Indians. reservation on caste basis is the biggest bluff.. it only helps in growth of belongingness towards once own interest… which ultimately leads to caste based discrimination n which we really want eleminate . & if u are really so worried about reservation ..do something or write blogs that will help the people to overcome the caste barrier n help the society to grow as one but not divided on lines of caste. what India n Indians need right now is reservation for poor & needy people, which we have in every castes. There are poor n needy people in unreserved category too they also die out of starvation … they also lack basic education… they also suicide out of frustration for not getting a job for which they have put down all their property .

1. Jan

I agree to every word you have mentioned above.

2. cutie

Even those people r also committing suicide which ur so called fanatic hindu made them lower n put them into forth rank…if hindu religion dont do this stupidity then i m sure there are nobody going to face that problem like reservation…first proved that u all dont believe in caste system by getting marry to out of ur caste n respect all human being okh dude..and for ur all knd of information i would like to tell u all to whom u made them lower they r also hindu okh they r part of hindu religion..many years upper caste hindu taking the advantages of reservation by making false sc certificate okh the fact is that mostly low caste people have turned b muslim or christain n some left the india bcs of ur inhumanity n cheapness toward them..u all should b feel ashamed to called as hindu.i think there l b time then all hindu ll b finish soon bcs of there wrong attitude n cheap thinking..

33. Voice of reason

I do believe that reservations should exist, but not on the basis of caste. I see a lot of people are actually supporting caste based reservations and for all the wrong reasons. The problem of reservations in India is like that of many other laws, they are made with the right intentions, but implementation is a different story all together. From most of what I read in the comments, most of the people have very limited understanding of the problem of casteism and the related issue of reservations. At the face of it, yes reservation in jobs, educational institutes etc are the right steps in uplifting a community, but what is more important is that the same should be monitored. To explain the same ( for my dumb friends who support reservations), look the following passage
    Why do we need reservations?
    To ensure that the impoverished, under developed and suppressed category of people are able to access education, jobs and other benefits of life.
    The underlying factors are impoverished, under developed and suppressed. People should not make a mistake by thinking that reservations are a way in which the current generation ( of general category) is paying for the mistakes made by their ancestors.
    Yes reservations should exist but not on the basis of caste, but on the basis of economic status. Think about it, why should a person belonging to a lower social category get any special privileges if he is a millionaire, this compared to a general category person who is extremely poor. During my engineering in Maharashtra this is exactly what I saw, the topper of the electrical dept was a general category student, his father worked in a small laundry, thus making it very difficult to make both ends meet. Most of you won’t believe but the guy would sleep on his bed without any bed sheet, or quilt or any mattress, never ever eat outside etc. on the other hand was another friend of mine who was from Nomadic Tribe category, his father was working with the RBI and mother was also a government employee, he had the latest N-series phones,( we didn’t have android those days) HP laptops etc, yet he would have to pay only Rs 50 as annual tuition fees ( where as for us in general category it was Rs 27000). I ask you, is this right, is this justified. All of you are educated, tell me who deserves a helping hand from govt, the topper who did not even have a quilt, or my friend who had every luxury in the world, I leave the judgment to your intelligence.
    I am not saying that reservations should be abolished, but why not decide it on economic status, why are we confusing govt subsidies with religion ( some ppl commented about Hinduism). See reservations anyways do not guarantee any social acceptance, instead it drives the wedge further, so we might as well do it on economic status, that way even under privileged person in the country can be benefited ( both general category and people from so called lower castes).

34. Sarvesh

The last line sounds a bit cocky, don’t you think. It’s amazing how sure you are on what will work and what will not. May I ask if this is based on systematic research or just an opinion.
    Also, you can’t ignore the effect that reservation has in an urban set up where the income and accessibility difference is non-existent. I think basing reservation on something as broad as caste is lazy work. Shouldn’t it be more on need basis. Maybe region wide or income level. Let the reservations be handled by lower authorities. Let us empower people from the grassroot so that they can earn their place based on their competency in the organizations you mentioned. Sounds difficult, yes. Sounds idealistic, yes. But it can be a long term solution. It might work in a way that it’s supposed to. But then again, it’ll need a lot of research before it can become an informed opinion.

35. Vishal

Well-written about India’s age-old caste system but still no clear link to reservation was made here. You have completely ignored the quotas that are exploited in the name of Sports, Alumni, Christian (in Christian schools/colleges) and even SC/ST by the affluent who have the means to create a fake OBC certificate.

I do not have a problem with reservation – it has its heart in the right place – but the problem is the practical issues that are not being addressed to mitigate the harms. It is complete hypocrisy, the way things are functioning in the reserved education world – and I am not stereotyping, unlike this article. It is very lop-sided the way you define the beneficiaries of the reservation policy and title your opinionated article, ma’am. But, there are other shades to this policy which you have ignored. Such as, reservation must be COMPLETELY CONTEXTUAL.

Besides, what are the sources of your data? What is the validity of your opinions? From where are you getting your “trends” of the general and OBC castes?

Talking about reducing the evils of reservation, a possible solution to the practical problems arising in this strategy is to level the field at some point of time – I mean, you can’t compare apples and oranges to decide which is the better fruit! Get hold of other documents that prove that one is WORTHY ENOUGH to get a seat reserved for themselves in schools, jobs etc.

Educational institutions can adopt aptitude entrance tests even at the undergrad levels, or probably keep the fees or attendance lower for them etc. It all depends on whether you really want to do it or not – otherwise this is a fruitless debate.

36. Prahlad Jaiswal

Dear Aastha,

I very much agree to what you have said, actualy the problem is we live in a society which discriminates on the basis of caste, so reservation should be on the basis of caste. Like we see in US the reservation is on the basis of color as that is the basis of their discrimination. No matter how big the city is the first question may not be, What is your caste, but yes definitely the second third or fourth to the max the question is the same, and then the difference arises. In my company a private one the gaurd said to the sweeper tum bhangi logon ki rally hai rite on his face, as if he deserves no respect. and mind you the language and the tone was definitly derogatory. If one feels to be a proud of some caste then he must be proud to be a gen category rather being sad on somebody elses. If one can’t think from others point of view then they must not think.
    Moreover the cut offs are there for all category and its equally difficult with such insults for all categories to achieve that cut offs. If one says after so many years also you need reservation then the reply should be yes, because after so many years also there is huge discrimination based on caste. Think twice before you blame others.

37. swagat

If a sc person to not avail the benefits of reservation does not tell his category and instead tells that he is from open category is it a crime

38. cutie

All Hindu communities in the country follow the varnashram system of
    Aryans and have divided the society in four castes – Kshatryas,
    Brahmins, Vaishyas and Shudras. Sindhis do not have such division in
    their society. They never followed a rigid caste system. That is why
    Sindhis are considered to be only businessmen. All members of the
    society inter-mingle with one another without any consideration of four
    castes of Aryans. There are no untouchables in Sindhis…..These religion
    and caste set up by mad and stupid people to control others not by
    god…who are still mentally sick they are following this castesim
    blindly..i must say be like all sindhi..leave these castesim and make
    only one hindu religion like sindhi religion dont create any
    caste,community and class…bcs its only give you tension and create
    problems for your own self..

More from Astha Agrawal

By Vinay Saraiwala

By Pooja Dahiya

By Pravin Gupta