This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ankita Nawalakha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here’s Understanding The Psychology Of Arvind Kejriwal’s AAP And Why People Voted For Them

More from Ankita Nawalakha

By Ankita Nawalakha:

asdFor the last three months, political pundits have been analyzing why and how the political novice, Aam Aadmi Party achieved a historic victory in Delhi elections. One area that has received scant attention is the use of Behavioral Science and Social Psychology techniques (whether consciously or unconsciously) by Arvind Kejriwal and his party. Let us explore nine very important social psychology techniques which have massively contributed to AAP’s triumph.

aap phenomenon

1) Leadership Style- Arvind Kejriwal exhibits what psychologists describe as ‘servant leadership style‘. A servant-leader focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities. While traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the “top of the pyramid,” servant leadership is different. By nurturing participatory, empowering environments and encouraging the talent of followers, a servant leader creates a more effective and motivated environment and makes people feel connected. Kejriwal has constantly exhibited socially desirable qualities of being approachable, humble and sincere. This simply struck a chord with people and the results are evident.

2) Cognitive Dissonance- AAP also used very effectively, the phenomenon psychologists describe as cognitive dissonance- an inner need of people to ensure that our beliefs and behaviours are consistent. Inconsistent or conflicting beliefs and actions leads to disharmony, which people with psychic abilities strive to avoid. Now rewind back a little. Most of you would say that you are anti corruption and pro-honest governance. AAP’s constant rattles of- ‘This time vote for an honest party‘ would have somewhere hit your conscious, made you uneasy if you were about to vote for congress or BJP. Because you believed strongly about anti corruption and your potential actions (of voting for Congress or BJP) would be conflicting with your belief. This made many, many people change their votes.

3) Learned Helplessness- Psychologists have studied the phenomenon of ‘learned helplessness‘ where people, who constantly fail to get results out of their action, give up trying and thereafter helplessness becomes a learned behaviour. Large segments of Indians had succumbed to the phenomenon of learned helplessness and felt powerless to change the state of affairs in the country. The AAP could pick upon the nerves of the people and was seen as a saviour who would undo this sense of helplessness and make people feel empowered to rise up and fight for change. It provided a platform to varied segments of society to come and voice their opinion. They made agitations, dharnas, protests, feel acceptable. Thus voting for AAP became a catharsis for the masses of Delhi- something which freed people from their learned helplessness.

4) The Bandwagon effect and conformity- As more and more people come to believe in something others conform and ‘hop on the bandwagon‘ regardless of underlying evidence. AAP’s self-conducted survey hinged heavily upon the Bandwagon effect by constantly emphasizing that they are going to win as many as 47 seats, thus making more and more people who were undecided, to eventually vote for them.

5) Persuasion- Robert Cialdini in his international bestseller, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, describes six universal techniques of persuasion. The Aam Aadmi Party succeeded in using as many as three of them very effectively, thus persuading people to believe in them and their promises.

a) Authority and attractiveness of the persuader– AAP extensively conveyed, in many of its posters, speeches etc. the names of powerful, influential and popular figures who support them, this surely made many people change their party preferences.
b) Liking– We tend to be easily persuaded by people we like or whom we are similar to. The very name of the party created this sense of similarity. Moreover, the volunteers of the party were not local leaders or student union people; rather were aam aadmi– people like you and me- teachers, students, engineers, doctors, housewives etc. Also, don’t forget Kejriwal’s trademark line- “Main kaun hun? Main toh khaalli ek aam aadmi hun jee”.
c) Commitment and consistency– If people commit, orally or in writing, to an idea or goal, they are more likely to honour that commitment because of establishing that idea or goal as being congruent with their self-image. AAP large scale signature campaigns, membership drives and online commitment drives hinged on the above principle.

6) Peripheral cues- Research in neuro-social psychology indicates that strong emotions can be aroused by verbal and visual cues. As soon as the EC granted AAP the symbol of Jhaadu, Kejriwal used the party symbol more effectively that anybody has ever done. While a broom was an age-old symbol of sweeping out the corrupt, it was the sole means of livelihood of the oppressed, who lived in the hovels of Delhi that the Shiela Diskhit government had tried so hard to hide during the Commonwealth Games. Also, Aam Aadmi Party’s famous topi became something people identified with. Every Indian who donned the Aam aadmi topi (cap) felt that they were the party – that they owned the party.

7) The-Movement-Strategy– Arvind Kejriwal has always called the whole AAP phenomenon as a ‘People’s movement’ rather than a political campaign. This has really worked for them because the genesis of a social movement lies in personal discontent and frustrations and the compelling motivation which in turn polarizes people into parallel action. AAP’s movement though negative and antagonistic is in it’s origin eventually transformed into positive movement. Following the phase of expressing protest and action against some threat or frustration, the movement eventually generated positive goals and programs of action to achieve a more desirable situation than the one that inspired the protest achieve a new order that is more acceptable.

8) Tactical Attitude change– Any attitude involves both rational (cognitive) and emotional (affective) components, thus for any effective attitude change (In this case, change in voting behaviour) both the avenues must be touched upon. That’s precisely what Arvind Kejriwal succeeded in doing. For the more educated classes he presented rational, detailed arguments and for the less informed classes, he heavily relied upon emotional appeal. What is more important is that he managed in using both types of appeals- rational and emotional together, their proportion depending upon the audience he was addressing.

9) Mode of communication- Many political analysts believe that the major trump card that worked for AAP was its marketing and endorsement strategies like extensive use of social media, recorded telephone calls and most importantly, the door-to-door campaign. Even psychological principles of ‘mode of communication’ validate this popular view. While Facebook effectively garnered the youth vote, the door-to-door campaign brought the masses of Delhi directly in touch with party workers and research shows that face-to-face conversations tend to be much more persuasive and impactful.

After the results of Delhi elections, many parties and leaders accepted that they need to ‘learn’ from the Aam Aadmi Party. I think what is needed more than anything, is for them to learn these simple, scientifically proven social psychological techniques used successfully by Aam Aadmi Party before the upcoming general elections.

1. politicalpeacock1@gmail.com

Arvind failed to lead!! He built himself a name and left the common man in the lurch!! he is probably the most disappointing political phenomenon and surely the most short lived

2. Prachi Kathuria

Without any disrespect to the author of the article, in my opinion the title is very misleading. The aritcle has not ‘psychoanalysed’ AAP but only studied the ‘socio-psychological’ aspects. While psychoanalysis, as explained by Freud, deals with the conscious, sub-conscious, unconscious, id, ego, super ego and so on and so forth, social-psychology deals with the behaviors, ideas, etc. I hope this is taken in the right spirit as my objective is not to malign anyone but just share my thoughts.

1. Ankita Nawalakha

Hi Prachi, I understand your apprehensions. I myself had used social psychology in my proposed title. It might have got changed in the editing phase. I have pointed it out to my editor and the title will be changed again. Thank you for your feedback. 🙂

2. Prachi Kathuria

thanks for replying!! it’s a very well written article, I’d forgotten to mention that! 🙂

3. Ankita Nawalakha

Thank you. 🙂

3. Zafar Satyavan (@zafarsatyavan)

I dont know much about AAP and all the drama that has unfolded in Delhi. But I do know Yogendra Yadav personally and the idea that the system has been made corrupt by self-interested people DOES resonate with the Aam Aadmi. AAP seems to know that this is just the beginning and the common man is only now waking up to his role in the process.. Jai Hind!

1. Zafar Satyavan (@zafarsatyavan)

oh yes.. and the fascination about 9.. Ankita Nawalakha Hmm..

4. balayogi

they have fooled the delhi voters with their mask nut they cannot fool all the people all the time . not any big technique it was bran washing tactics that all fanatic groups like maoists and naxalites follow and AAP is their political face besides acting as a buffer to help congress

5. priyanka

A really good analysis, ver interesting write up. 🙂

6. mohit

1. Leadership style – absolutely correct.
    2. Cognitive dissonance – Misconstrued. It’s not that AAP persuaded us to vote for an honest party. It’s common sense to vote for honest party. AAP told us two things –
    a) HOW MUCH these parties are corrupt
    b) All of them are one behind the curtains- “The political class”
    3. Learned helplessness – Very subjective. Misinterprets anger as helplessness. Helplessness means the onus to do something was by default on people. No. It was not so by default. The govt. was MADE to do it for the people.The situation is made so by the apathy of political class. Hence the just anger. Voting was not just a medium to express than anger. It was also a medium to enable the change.
    4. Bandwagon effect – Hypocritic argument. The survey was manipulated by BJP and Cong. We have seen the proof. Cvoter’s (which showed fraud results in favor of BJP) owner Yashwant Deshmukh hails from a family of RSS members. People didn’t vote for AAP because everyone was voting for it. They DIDN’T vote for AAP because they were not sure and mislead by surveys.
    5. Persuasion – Correct. Part of electoral democracy.
    6,7,8,9 – Correct.

Last paragraph : I hope they do. But something to ponder over is that just because I have learned about the Bernoulli principle working behind Ronaldo’s curved shot, it doesn’t mean I can deliver that shot as well.

1. Siva

The points you made about Learned Helplessness and the conclusion of the post were fantastic, hence the +1 🙂

More from Ankita Nawalakha

By Sartaj aziz

By Geetika Gaurav

By Submitted anonymously