By Sukanya Sarkar:
I wasn’t born in Delhi, but I have been visiting the city ever since I was in 4th grade. The wide roads, the weather, the people and definitely the places made me fall in love with the capital city. Now, since I have started living in the city for good, I think I am getting to know the city even more. Travelling by bus, auto, metro etc. is making me accustomed to the city in general and the places to hangout in particular. It is specially the high spirited people that make Delhi and the places to hangout all the more special. It is the city for those who know how to have fun and it teaches the meaning of “having fun” to those who are not aware of it. The entire city is covered with places to hangout for all kinds of people. To give an example, the northern part of Delhi, known as North campus ,where the famous Delhi University is situated, has places best suited for the students. From cafes to pubs, everything that today’s generation is fond of. Leaving the cafes and the pubs, the purani-dilli has a wide array of places which gives a different experience and makes one of the best hangout places as well.
Here is a list of five best hangout places in Delhi
1. Paranthe wali-gali – Paranthe wali gali or Gali paranthe waliÂ is a famous lane in the Chandni Chowk area of Delhi that has been servingÂ paranthas of different varieties since the 1870’s. Earlier this lane was known for its silverware shops, but later on was replaced by the ParanthaÂ shops. The first ever paranthe shop in this lane was named by Pandit Gaya Prasad Shiv Charan Paranthewala. A series of 20 shops have opened since then. But as of now, there are 3 shops that are still fighting hard to survive and meet with the demands of the new generation. Pt. Kanaiya Lal Durga Prashad Dixit’s Paranthewala is a five generation run shop, selling 15 varieties of paranthas each with a distinct taste of its own. Khurchan parantha, aloo paratha, nimbu paratha, matar paratha, rabri paratha are some of the names of the mouth watering types of delicacies available there. The lassi of this shop is to die for. The “cool” generation that wants to get a more traditional feeling is often seen hanging around the paranthe wali gali.
2. Big Yellow Door – With North Campus being the hub for the students of Delhi University, it is filled with some of the best food junctions. The most visited among them is worth mentioning , i.e the Big Yellow Door or more aptly known as BYD. This place is one of the most student friendly places ever. Being high on innovation with regards to their menu, this hangout junction calls for the most happening ambience. Also, this place is pocket friendly at the same time serves the most delicious food. Their specialty BYD cheese “BOMB” burger guarantees one to visit the place again and again. As according to my friend in DU, their Napolitano Pasta surpasses any other place selling pasta.
3. Monkey Bar – Since I have been searching for some amazing places to hangout, I have often been referred of the Monkey Bar. Located in Vasant Kunj with a chick pyramid kind of an infrastructure made of glass resembling The Louvre Pyramid in Paris, it is a place that attracts many. The dÃ©cor here is vibrant and energetic. This place specializes in American, Asian, European and North Indian food. Their chocolate pot de creme with salted caramel for desert is the most asked for in the gastropub. Sticky Date Pudding, Spiked Nachos, Liver on Toast, MoBar Burger, Flutterfly, Mangaa, Chocolate Pot De Creme with Salted Caramel, Tiger Steak are the most recommended dishes by the regular customers of Mobar. Though this place might pinch your pocket a bit, but the food experience will make you forget the pinch and attract you to visit the place again.
4. Hard Rock CafÃ© – This place has the best music playing in the cafÃ©. The ambience is superbly comfortable. The waiters here are extremely chirpy and friendly. Their live music and occasional concerts are something to look forward to. They also make the best food choices if you ask them to when you are in the most confused state. Their huge burgers are to crave for. Hickory Bbq Bacon Cheeseburger, Grilled Mediterranean Linguini, Grilled Fillet Steak and Triple Platinum Margarita are the most preferred items to dig into. It’s basically the best place for the meat lovers. This makes Hard Rock CafÃ© the most visited hangout place for the young generation.
5. Mughal Darbar, JNU – In the lush green campus of Jawaharlal Nehru University is the mughlai junction serving the most delicious food ever. The crowd here is always thriving. It’s got an ambiance of a kind of dhaba. From being reasonable to serving the tastiest meal is what it is famous for. The party goers prefer to dig in to butter chicken and chicken jahangariÂ before heading on to some party. Its open till mid-night and makes the best place for the students for them to throw their birthday parties (for people in and outside JNU).
These hangout places ranging from some popular to lesser known, reasonable to pocket pinching places makes Delhi a place for all. So, which are the places you hangout in Delhi?