This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Zara Ali. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

So What If She Is A ‘Tomboy’?

More from Zara Ali

By Zara Ali:

I see her there, in the grocery store, trailing a few feet behind her mother. Her wavy black hair touches her shoulders; she’s in a blue T-shirt, faded blue jeans, and converse sneakers. Her brown eyes catch mine. You give her a look as if to say, “Come on, already!” I can tell you’re frustrated, because you wish she were just a little different, a little more feminine. You may think she is being defiant by her clothes, lack of makeup and hair products. But she is just being herself. I know, because I am her.

tomboy

From a young age, the society bombards girls with images and ideas of what a woman should be; feminine and lady-like. Yet, the same society will then turn around and say that being feminine means weak and inferior. In order to be strong women, women who are taken seriously when surrounded by male friends and colleagues, we should portray more masculine attributes.

Some women are girly girls from the start. Love pink over blue and tea parties to forts. Other girls prefer playing superheroes to playing house and would rather have action toys than Barbie dolls. Then, there are the girls that fall in between loving a little of this and a little of that.

I am the younger sister to an older brother, the long awaited girl in the family. However, I looked up to my father and brother and wanted to be just like them. So, I swore off all things feminine, pink, and seemingly “girly”. My mother and I had our fair share of arguments over lace blouses, permed hairstyles, and wearing jeans to parties. That side of being a girl never appealed to me. It just didn’t. I found my feminine strength on the softball field, scraped knees, guitar and combat boots. I didn’t want to be just like the boys. I just wanted to be me. So, let me give you some advice from a grown tomboy, one who seemingly has it all together now.

Let her choose her clothes. As long as it’s modest, don’t say a word about the constant polo T-shirts, pony tail, and faded jeans. She is finding her own style and eventually she’ll be comfortable in her own skin. Until then, let her find her confidence in her comfort.

Let her play/do whatever sport/activity she chooses. She may want to play snooker. Let her. She may want to try out as a lead guitarist for a headbanger band. Let her! You have no idea how much confidence a girl gets through being good at athletics and music. Even when I had no self-esteem about my looks, I found it while listening to hard rock. And when she’s ready to stand in front of a mirror with a pretty dress on, her confidence from the jam sessions will be her foundation.

You may question her sexuality. Don’t. She wants to be loved and get married someday, but she just wants to be loved for who she is. She may want a low key wedding and refuse to wear a tiara. Please accept that, it will be best for both of you. And don’t be surprised when she plans her wedding around not so suitable season.

Her mother may think that she failed as a parent because her daughter is a tomboy. She didn’t. Her daughter is independent and creative, probably just like her. I’ve realized that although I fought with my mom over not being girly enough, it’s because we’re both very, very stubborn. I admire her and love her. I am the strong woman I am today because of her. She loves me.

Above all, don’t lose hope. I have my feminine days when I don makeup and fix my hair because I want to. But for the most part, I’d rather wear jeans and my favourite polo T shirt.

She is no less a woman. She’ll grow up, go to college and find even more confidence in the classroom than she did on the field playing basketball, marry some cute guy who loves her natural style, and have her own daughter one day and once again swear off the “pink explosion” that seems to come with baby girls. She is unique. She is her own. Cherish her. Because there is no right woman and there is no wrong woman. There is just woman.

1. carvaka

“As long as it’s modest”

Who decides what modest is? Why should someone else have the authority to tell a girl that she should be modest or that she’s not being modest? Isn’t that policing of the same sort that tells us to me ‘lady-like’?

2. Dhun Chhokar

You mentioned yourself as a ‘tomboy’. I did not quite like that. Think about how patriarchy has affected you while writing this article.
    A good read.
    Good work.

3. Ayushi Sareen

A great read! 🙂

It was an instant connection!

4. justnehajha

I agree with you. I have had my fair share of people telling me to behave more like a girl! Its quite tough and hypocritic even. But, then, I refuse to take it that way. I have had guy friends who appreciate me for that. I have been able to do stuff which people think only boys can do. So, its all about how u can shrug stupidity off! And, in any case, I remember Michael Jackson once saying, “Tomboys are sexier.”

5. Diksha

You spoke my mind… A great read indeed!!! I too feel that people should accept me as I am.. A ‘tomboy’. Especially my Dad.. Coz my mum has already accepted me as I am… N she has not just accepted me.. But she’s also proud of me. She thinks being unique is nice! N I also love the way I am… I don’t care about what people say about me.. I won’t change for anyone. Anyways a very refreshing write up.. Thanks

6. adya00

I don’t agree with the conventional ideas of modesty, but nevertheless, lovely article Zara!

7. zara ali

Thank you everyone for giving it a read.

More from Zara Ali

By Ganita

By Love Matters India

By Bidisha Bhatacharya