This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Parboni Bose. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here Are The Top 10 College Fests In India; Does Your College Figure In This List?

More from Parboni Bose

By Parboni Bose:

When you are a college student, you always have one event of the year to look forward to. An event that makes your birthday look secondary, and you save all your money to spend on this particular event. Yes, you might have guessed it right, I am talking of college fests. College festivals are a big part of college life, they are some days of carnival where you can just party and think nothing of the otherwise severe academic pressure. Here are the top 10 college fests that you must visit:

Picture Credits
Picture Credits

1. Mood Indigo, IIT Mumbai: This started out in 1971 by a group of college students and currently claims to be the biggest fest in all of Asia. It is interesting how the mood became indigo. According to IIT Bombay, the indigo color was chosen as it is a mixture of Red and blue, thus not only giving space to artistic passions but also to the calm, rational minds. IIT Bombay organizes a number of competitions and events, such as the competition for drama, literature, film and photography, music, dance and other such events that not only make the core of the fest, but are also able to draw a crowd of approx. 1 lakh students from all over India. What is also special other than their star night are ‘pro shows’ that feature well known national and international artists from all genres of music. World fest works similarly, just featuring dance troupes from all over the world. Mood Indigo also works in collaboration with various institutions working for social cause. The grandeur of the event, along with its participation is what makes it so different, so mighty.

2. Incident: The fest of National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK) in Surathkal was started in 80’s and with every passing year touches a level of grandeur never touched before. What is attractive here is the private beach with a light house, where you can always relax after a busy day participating in the plethora of events organized. This is the second biggest fest in south India, and has promising competitions and magnanimous performances. A number of beach sports, video game events, adventure sports and other such exciting events are organized. This 5 day event is worth the hype, totally!

3. OASIS, BITS Pilani: This one is going to keep you awake for nights, literally. Oasis is a 96 hour festival organized in the month of October, and this one promises fun and no sleep, for it runs all night and all day for 96 hours. The variety of competitions here are huge, and it takes pride in being the only fest that has rap wars, giving a platform to all talented rappers in the country. Along with this, exposure and rocktaves also makes the headline. Exposure being the photography fest which is a competition cum exhibition. Rocktaves is one of the most prestigious rock competitions in India. With a variety of celebrities being in the campus during this time, Oasis promises 96 hours of pure fun and frolic.

4. Alcheringa: Popularly known as Alcher, it is the annual cultural festival of the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India. Alcheringa, the name, is a word in the Indigenous Australian Aranda language used to refer to the Dreamtime. And inspite of the fact that this fest is relatively new in comparison to others, this has still made its mark. What Alcharinga is famed for, other than the start studded nights and the amazing performances is its campaign on major movements such as North East unveiled. The Pro nights are a major attraction, with every night in the four night festival dedicated and catering to a different genre. This is a festival to be witnessed, and not told about. So, you must book your tickets and witness this one.

5. Riviera, Vellore Institute of technology: Riviera, or reliving the era, completely makes one relive the era in the four days of the event. Riviera holds more than 100 events, and in 2014 this celebrated the era of cinema. Riviera is famous for its grand star night. The planning and development summit, the literary fest along with the book fair, and the variety of sports competitions organized is what makes Riviera what it is. Riviera is proud of a participation of above 4000 students coming from all over the country, and around 45000 VIT students themselves. The debating tournament witnesses a participation that is from across the nation and from other countries. Riviera also organizes a marathon, thus one of the few fests of the country that organizes a sports and cultural fest together. Riviera is a delight to attend to, and if you love fests, this one should sure be on your check list.

6. Spring fest is the life of IIT Kharagpur. It is a 3 days 4 nights event, a time when IIT Kharagpur comes alive with life, music, dance and most importantly with a hundred memories that are created here. Spring fest started in 1960, which makes it one of the oldest college fests of India. And since the last 55 years, this has been the carnival with a perfect blend of fun and competition. There are a plethora of competitions that rock the college during this time, ranging from literary, dramatics to film and photography. What makes students starry eyed for this event is the Perpz – an all day dance floor. The Hard Talk also draw a large intellectual crowd, who gather to hear the various talks by eminent personalities. SF therefore has all that you want, to offer to a huge variety of interests. Spring Fest has been here since half a century.

7. Antaragni, IIT Kanpur: Antaragni – The word means the ‘fire within’ and that is what the fest is all about. Every year they come out with a creative theme, and their promise to make the four days of the fest memorable for a life time holds gravity. There are a number of events, the film festival, the dramatics competition and a number of highly creative literary competitions. It is difficult to do justice to the grandeur of the fest that is organized, but the informal steal the show. With a number of creative games such as scavenger hunt, theme based game (last year for the theme outlaw, the game was family mafia), and blind date, the informal taking place till late in the night demands a must presence. The star nights are just amazing, and IIT Kanpur acts as a wonderful host for the huge numbers of colleges participating in the fest. Antaragni definitely lights the fire within, and turns you into a changed person for all the four days of the event.

8. Raagam, NIT Calicut: This one has a story behind it. This fest started out as a memorial to Rajan, the student of then CREC who was taken into police custody during Emergency and allegedly died in the custody in 1976. In 1977, All Kerala Rajan memorial music competition was started. However, this reemerged with all its grandeur in 1987, an inter college fest to commemorate Rajan. The fest blends a variety of events and presents to the hundred plus colleges that participate a plethora of over 80 events. What is interesting with Ragam are the workshops that are organized, from Kite Flying to Catering, this has it all. The star night is grand, and Ragam was the first ever college in kerela to bring an International band, this itself tells us a lot about its grandeur and legacy.

9. Waves, the Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani — Goa Campus: Waves started in 2006 and is a relatively new college fest, and inspite of its baby position in comparison with the others, it has come a long way. The fest, very much in the spirits of Goa, holds an event with a marvelous blend of fun and frolic, devotion, dedication and lots of happiness. It holds its fest in late October-early November time, working the season which makes Goa the tourist hub, in their favor. The special events that Waves, Goa offers include Natyanjali, Fashion Parade and Mr. and Ms. Waves. Sea Rock has gone on to become a national event with several elimination rounds. The workshops organized are very interesting and include classes on mock tail making, siporex art and other such creative arts. The star nights are grand and starry. In short, Waves has everything to make it a fest that is ambitious and grand.

10. Rendezvous, the cultural festival of Indian Institute of Technology Delhi: This one is a meeting, meeting of all the talent in the country that come together to not just compete but also to lose themselves in the atmosphere of the fest. This fest holds four main attractions – Bigwig, which brings together all the dancers across colleges and pits them against each other, Kaleidoscope – this one is for the fashion fiesta in you, this is a fashion show which sees a huge turnover every year, Blitzkreig – the rock band competition and Dhoom – the Indian musical performance by renowned artists. Along with this, a colorful combination of various literary, music, dance and dramatics competitions are organized which makes the fest one of the most looked forward to event of the year. Rendezvous celebrates intellectualism, creativity and the spirit to party. This is an event that you should surely look forward to.

1. Adeena Jamal Ahmad

But aren’t the aforementioned colleges engineering colleges only. Without disregarding the writer, several other colleges have equally good festivals that cater to a very large audience as well.

1. Parboni

yes,there are great fests,and i myself was very disappointed when i researched and found this,but regardless of personal feelings,the engineering college fests are statistically the grander fests.

2. Manish Mittal

Well thought your post is good.. U still didn’t reply why saarang was not included in the list. And what was the criteria for the ranking. Saarang is one of the biggest cultural festivals in India. It has seen great rock bands like Opeth. It invites great celebrities like Shankar Ehsaan Lot, Sonu nigam, KK, Boman Irani, Jamal Hassan. It is the fest where AR reheman participated and won in the beginning of his career. It has a footfall of 50000 at least each year. It brings in sponsorship of at least 5 million rupees each year from giants like Nokia, Airtel, MTV, etc. It has a number of dance, song, acting competitions which witnesses participation from all over India. And there’s a lot more to say but I think this should be enough for you to enter saarang in your list. If still you think saarang doesn’t deserve a mention then you should surely let public your basis for the ranking.

3. Parboni

Hi Manish,
      Thanks for all the information,the basis of ranking was not personal,it was based very statistically on the data found on internet,i did not come across Sarang in them,so therefore didn’t write about it,however i am sure your college fest is great,maybe when you visit all of these fests you will understand why the data on the internet doesn’t include Sarang,and as it is by such a great description on Sarang,you have already made it a part of the article.:)

4. Sravanth Talluri

Hi! This is some research I have done on college fests in India. And well, I don’t understand what data and statistics you have used and I feel that definitely Saarang will be mentioned among them.
      Parameter Alcheringa Antaragni Festember Mood Indigo Oasis Rendezvous Saarang Spring fest Waves
      Variety of Pro shows 4 genres 3 genres 3 genres 4 genres 4 genres 4 genres 5 genres – 3 genres
      Number of events 30 42 60 44 68 41 60 41 40
      Likes on facebook page (as on 3/1/14) 34,969 10,942 1,20,567 12,649 72,904 67,142 31,640 16,799
      Number of foreign countries involved in World fest 3 in 2013 (5 over the years) 5 – 11 – 5 10 – –
      ISO certification No No No No No Yes No No
      Inclusion of a social cause Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No

To sum up, Saarang has 5 genres of proshows which no other fest has, 10 foreign country involvement which is only next to Mood Indigo’s 11, 67000 facebook likes as on 3rd Jan, onlynext to MoodI and Rendezvous (as of today, saarang has 81,000 and rendezvous has 77,000), Saarang is the ONLY ISO 9001:2008 certified festival and Saarang is the ONLY completely student-run festival. Also, Saarang has more events in all types of arts and culturals than all the fests mentioned except Mood Indigo.

So, I feel that you have to revisit your facts once.

2. Abhilash Mirji

Pearl!! BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus

3. Sumit Gupta

Edit: Please correct the name of cultural fest of IIT Kanpur from “Antaragini” to “Antaragni”.. 🙂

4. harith

please do a write up on sports fests and technical fests as well

5. shondiprodrigues

Where is IIT Saarang ???

Parboni ???

6. Haripriya Shah

I was never ever excited about my college fest, but this post made me realise I have missed the biggest part of being a student..
    How can one go to these fest if he/she’s not a student any more.

7. Sandeep Albert Mathias

You missed out IIT Madras’ 120 hour long fest, Saarang!

8. subhojit / swarnabha

a very insightful post … thanks Parboni . I did my graduation from NIT Surathkal and have seen Incident for 4 years , its really awesome but I think you should have included Crossroads by SRCC in the list … am doing my PG from there and judging by the standards they definitely should be on this list ….. thanks !

9. Nikhil Kataria

Watermarks on the photos are put up for a reason. If you can copy a picture from somewhere, how hard it is to give credits for the same?

https://www.facebook.com/NikhilShootsG8Stuff/photos/a.583866298355075.1073741837.562630633811975/583866471688391/?type=1&comment_id=1843433&offset=0&total_comments=1&notif_t=photo_comment

1. Parboni

there is photography credit on the photo,check.

10. ty

are the top college fests only for engineering colleges? other colleges and streams also exist in india. you missed out on SRCC’s fest.

11. Shahidh

What do you think about Saarang (http://saarang.org)? Should it not find its place at least in the top 10 you mentioned? I would like to know on what grounds this ranking/positions have been arrived at.

12. Aditya

What parameters did you use to rate these?…

13. Darisa

Please be thorough if u r releasing any news like this ! And u didnt hear about saarang , Wow and u know all these and not saarang , are u leaving in some remote area …? LOL ! Make changes and release it again ! and please mention the criteria of ranking ….

14. Sohail

No Saarang? How come?

15. Nikhil

Saarang deserves a place in the top THREE in your list… I don’t know what grounds or parameters you have used (if any) to make this list but it is totally incomplete without Saarang…

16. sudh

WTF….. where is SARANG, IITM

17. Shashanka

Seriously? A list without Saarang?

18. vivek varghese

Hey where is Malhar?

19. MALAN

Great! College fests are meant for unwinding, showcasing talents and abilities, honing skills, building social network, learning…much more. Tech fests are enchanting, impressive, and help thousands to show their technical genius…Our budding tech-masters! Inviting writers of all age groups to get their works published-MALAN.
    Write to-malanpublishers@yahoo.com
    website (partly constructed)-www.malanpublishers.com

More from Parboni Bose

By Anjali Pillai

By niraj chandra

By Siddharth Singh