This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

12 Kinds of People You Meet In The Metro

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

If you have travelled regularly in Delhi/Kolkata metro, you deserve a medal for getting through all the bad Karma humanity has drawn upon itself. The trains are not evil, but the sheer variety of the people you meet can sometimes make you strengthen your faith in the idea of an apocalypse. Here are the kinds of people you meet in the Metro trains:

1. The environ-mentally cautious ones:
    They might be the ones with protest posters stamped on their cool t-shirts or at other times, they can be spotted carrying anything from a small plant to a bicycle.

bikes-on-escalators2. The Errand Ninjas:
From women knitting sweaters to men clipping their nails, they are taking over the planet!

eca86ba0526e1269b6ba08

3. Sleeping Beauties:
Some call them cute, but it is only until they encounter a half sleepy zombie asking which station is about to arrive.

black-and-white-junkies-metro-people-underground-Favim.com-468358

4. Awkward Luggage Bearers:
They are just…awkward, you know?

metro-life (4)[2]

5. Serial Texters:
They are the ones who might pretend to be busy when they see an old women standing right beside them because they are too lazy to stand up. Look into their phones and you find them pretending to text.

12141786436_fb7400004d_z

6. The Hangers:
For the lack of a better word:
813521a4-d844-4a2e-938a-262e61657e7bHiRes

7. The Pushovers:
They are going to push you over and run you down so that they can get on that escalator faster. *Duh!*

group-people_00249605

8. The Loud Speakers:
They are fighting with their spouses and they want the world to know they are right. Why, I ask. Why?
letemoff_tumblr_m5vlaf5Qhz1ql5yr7o1_400

9. Overly attached couples:
It might take some effort to keep them from merging into one and nothing can come between them. Not even air.

kissing-metro

10. The creepy observers:
They neither need a reason to stare nor an invite. They will do it when they want and they think they are ‘observing’ your body/dog/key chain.

DE09-DELHIMETRO5_1885110g

11. The Fashionistas:
They dress to kill. Enough said.

DE09-DELHIMETRO_1885109g

12. Paa Mascots:
They dance to their own tunes and roam with swag in the coaches. When you spot them, RUN!

paa

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter.

1. Sushant Taing

Well, most of these are pics of Metros running in some western city.

No # 1 & No # 2 don’t exist in India, at least in Delhi 🙁

We are targets of terrorism remember, how can they allow bicycles and sharp objects like knives, knitting needles & nail cutters in the metro?

Sleeping beauties are a common sight, both between 5 to 8 am and after 9 pm.

Sometimes, many females pretend to be serial texters as they want to avoid eye contact with uncouth pervs.

The Hangers are quintessentially Indian & that too from saddi Dilli. Good that you got a Delhi metro pic 😎

Pushovers are seen most at Rajiv Chowk, Kashmiri Gate, Central Secretariat, Huda City Center, SIkandarpur, IFFCO Chowk, MG Road, Yamuna bank & Laxmi Nagar stations :v

You know, I’ve actually seen some Overly attached couples in the Dilshad Garden-Rithala line. But that was back when Shiela DIxit ruled in the state & UPA at the center. Can’t happen now under Modi sarkar :'( :'(

The Creepy observers annoy not just females but males as well. They are not just limited to the metro. They can be seen in restaurants too, steering at what we are eating (even if their plate is full)

The Fashionistas, well don’t want to generalize and offend any caste, but most of them turn out to be Jats & Gujjars (males) and Punjabis (females)

And the Paa mascots, man I dread them more than I dread a Hindutva lynch mob 😛 (Couldn’t have asked for a perfect ending 😀 to the article )

2. Pooja

Mayank, these all instances are so true and sometimes so annoying!

3. Babar

>They are the ones who might pretend to be busy when they see an old woman standing right beside them …

Why not old person? – Old men are also left standing.

4. Nicky Collins

This is sad. I have never met any of these people when I travel. Except the creepy observer. Actually, more often than not, I am the creepy observer.

5. mahigala7

Hilarious Descriptions for each type !!

I personally never had the fortune of travelling in a Metro train but being born and brought up in Mumbai, I have traveled constantly in the Locals and, believe me, the scenario is quite identical.

Types of persons you will usually encounter in Mumbai Locals are

1. Readers
    The most peaceful, heavenly send creatures you will ever come across. Mostly found engrossed in their books, newspapers and magazines. Will not disturb the equilibrium of their surroundings. Once in a while they peep outside the window to guess the approaching station.

2. Stalkers
    These smart, careful observers are growing by number every day. They will scan every person, every luggage, every advertisement posters, pamphlets and even their fellow passenger’s newspaper articles in their visible range. Who’s departed when and who’s arrived with how much luggage, ask them anything and they will not disappoint you.

3. Debate Dadas
    They hunt in packs. Usually with 5 to 10 of their kind. A certain, Arnab Goswami, would be proud of them. They debate on everything ranging politics, cricket, economy, entertainment, society and even on adult topics. Sometimes their suggestions are worth implementing.

4. Gate Keepers
    They prefer the gates more than the inner space. These lads will hang in there even if there are vacant seats inside the compartment. Letting the cool breeze slash across their face, clothes to go haywire in the strong wind. They, somehow, find solace out there, forgetting every pain in their lives, submerging in a moment of tranquility.

5. Love Birds
    Save for the hectic peak hours, love birds are seen quite often. In most cases, they occupy window seats as if these were the same corner seats of a movie theater. They are in the world of their own. People besides them can expect some romantic chats or even scenes, depending on their luck.

6. Sleepers
    Same as sleeping beauties described above but trust me, they can become quite awkward to handle at times especially when they are snorting.

7. Trouble makers
    They carry huge luggage with them or they are the fat people who occupy 2 seats and leave a poor soul standing by his side. They push people, race with their fellow mates to stamp their authority on window seats. Spit and throw garbage on tracks. Sometimes engage in fights with innocents.

8. Direction-less
    Often ask others, What is the next station? Platform will come on which side, left or right?

Nevertheless, I still enjoy my time here as I feel belong here with these people. You see similar people everyday, make new friends and have fun in the entire journey until you depart.

More from Mayank Jain

By Taylor Guerrero

By Chiranshu Sihag

By ananya rajawat