The Rise Of The Alarming “Modi Wave” In Academia

By Renovatio:

“I study where millions strive to be” was sprawled across my friend’s t-shirt, accompanied by my institute’s logo. Today, her eyes were swollen, with tears trickling down her face. A concerned me asked her what was the matter and she confided in me a bitter reality. She happened to have a conversation with a professor, which was both outrageous and demeaning. Well, the gist of the discourse was cornered around the fact that South India (mainly Kerala and Tamil Nadu) remained immune to the Modi wave. He emphasized that if the whole nation was in support of BJP, then why not Kerala? He went on to say if it weren’t for the RSS and BJP, North India wouldn’t be like it is today. He audaciously pointed fingers at Muslims to say that they would have vandalized our nation. He meant to say our country needed to be cleansed of Muslims and asked why Kerala, being a Hindu majority state, was not in favor.

modi wave

I apparently happen to study in an “Institute of National Importance” and if this is the kind of atrocious visions my mentors have, what would be the plight of the future generations? When Institutes like mine should be vehemently promoting scientific temper, innovation and harmony, why do they still have meaningless, deep rooted and radically communal ideology? Needless to say, my friend’s drastic difference in opinion reflected in her grades and hence the tears. Education is meant to invoke wisdom, broaden our perspective, and make us reasonable and sensible individuals. If the young minds of today are not molded to outshine blatant extremist attitude then what remains for them is a bloody tomorrow. What India needs is not another Godhra riots of 2002!

I could never fathom the logic behind harboring hatred towards any particular community. Your religion does not define your personality, it is stupid to judge a person based on the religion the are born into. We, being in the cream of the Institutes of the country, shouldn’t be taught otherwise! Judge a person based on their actions. This very loath should be directed towards rapists, murderers, thieves, treason, espionage and other heinous crimes.

A tsunami doesn’t choose between a Hindu, Muslim or a Christian while unleashing its wrath. We are all equally vulnerable and merely human. What lay ahead are testing times. We, the “educated” youth of today, need to condemn such vested, medieval, irrational and inhumane perceptions. Let not the “Modi Wave” sever your secular ties. Hail peace and let’s focus on being productive and work towards scientific progress, which is what we are in dire need of.

1. mayur

I do not agree with the message of this article . If the Professor who is in an eminent institution behaves like this , then its his fault not of the rest of the people .The girl should file a complaint against him and he will be booked for harassment. the facts to be considered are
    India is a country with traditions of riots , started from 1947 where Kashmiris , pandits , muslims were killed , then Marathi bramhins were killed because Nathuramji Godse was a marathi Bramhin and he killed Gandhi .
    Sikhs were killed in 1984 when Indira Gandhi was murdered .
    South Indians are still termed as Madrasi because of the Rajeev Gandhi’s murder blame .
    Nowadays Marathi people staying out of Maharashtra are blamed especially in Northern India because of Raj Thackrey

The point is , I am a Marathi that does not make me a killer of Utter Pradesh wala . same fact is being applied here .
    Riots divide people , communities . Instead of looking in the past that is a political agenda , lets focus on the present for a brighter future .
    Germany had a black history of massacre but they focused on their future and they are a developed nation now .
    If riots or such heinous things happen in front of me i will oppose them and will save whoever the victim is .. not because i am a Hindu or Muslim or Christian and the victim is the same but i am a human and i will save another human!
    Only one book should be given utmost importance over other so called religious books The Constitution of India

2. Harsh

What has Modi to do with it ? If someone takes Modis name and communicate their own views, is it Modi or your so called Academic people who is to be blamed.

Tell your professor to chill down and wait for some years, Lotus will blossom in kerala & TN too, but for a positive reasons.

3. Sameera Mudgal

i don’t know if the message is correct or not but an experienced reality is that the Modi supporters in this wave are very rash and thick headed…. I would not be surprised if secularism in this country is hit…. because although I can never be sure what Modi propagates but the fact remains that a huge chunk of Modi supporters are verbally aggressive and sometimes superstitious… Now all of us can evaluate the degree to which the quality and ideologies of the followers depends upon the leader…

4. Gaurav

let us understand the above article. a professor and a student had a conversation and this article is a third person’s view on that discussion. was the writer present at the discussion. does Alisha know exactly what transpired in that discussion. what were the arguments and counter arguments.
    this is a prime example of what not to do. Alisha has taken the debate in a wrong direction by accusing the professor of many charges. let us look at the charges against the professor
    ……………………………
    He emphasized that if the whole nation was in support of BJP, then why not Kerala? He went on to say if it weren’t for the RSS and BJP, North India wouldn’t be like it is today. He audaciously pointed fingers at Muslims to say that they would have vandalized our nation. He meant to say our country needed to be cleansed of Muslims and asked why Kerala, being a Hindu majority state, was not in favor.
    ………………………………………….

writers like to embellish when they write about any given issue but the above 4 lines are a prime example of how the writer has allowed her personal prejudices to come to the fore and taken the argument to the point of accusing the professor of wanting to eliminate the muslims.

initially Alisha starts off my writing about the purpose of education and then suddenly queers the pitch by quoting godhra, communalism and extremism. these subjects need to be discussed in the light of the social , political and religious situation in india and role played by different players … but the writer does not understand and got carried away by her personal opinion and ends up propogating the politically correct narrative. this is exactly what a writer should not do………such topics should not be mixed with purpose of education. but we indians continue to digress from the main topic and tend to mix things with everything else. it is advisable that writers should learn to see both sides of the coin before judging anyone in poor light. i feel bad because young people like alisha have already formed such strong opinions without spending any effort of understanding the ground realities and conditions and the narrative being propogated by various segments of society for their own selfish purpose. let us hope that god will give us all strength to see through the game and learn to find the truth instead of propounding wrong understanding of the issues

let us also remember that the victims of any incident know the truth so to speak lies will only show the victims where we stand. let us learn to speak the truth.

1. Veer

Excellent

5. Gaurav

i would like to add that we should all focus on one topic at a time. when you discuss education, do not mix it with religion, politics, secularism, media, extremism, communalism and a myriad other topics because that will take us nowhere. i hope the everyone will learn from this

1. Alisha

Well, that is exactly what i was trying to say. Keep religion out of education! Enlighten young minds on seeing beyond the stereotypical mindset so that tomorrow we don’t kill each other on differences that is mundane.! Preach about love to humanity as whole not spread hatred among them.

6. Abdul Wahid Khan (@wahid3111)

It is clearly the people like Giriraj Singh, Amit Shah, Praveen Togadia who are riding on Modi wave and propogating communal and divisive propaganda which shapes the perceptions and opinions of a lot of people. Modi or BJP supporters need to cool themselves and should be ready to accept or reject arguments based on facts, instead of proving everything right.

7. Gaurav

an imagined discussion between a professor and his student has turned into a place where everyone seems to be talking about whatever is bothering them. Abdul has made it a discussion on giriraj kishore and praveen togadia.. Alisha has made it about godhra, secularism, congress versus bjp , thank god the rest of the audience has not jumped into the argument . it shows that people like abdul need to keep a cool head and not take this discussion into the wrong direction

8. stuart

alisha ,
    1.the hands of a christian professor were cut off by muslim fanaics bcoz they thought that he had disrespected & deeaned allah by asking a ques related to allah
    2.his wife died mysteriously (it was claimed it was suicide & she was under immense pressure due to muslim fanatics)
    3.christian priests in kerala rape nuns .3 novels have published till date
    4.riots r bad .bt 2002 started bcz innocent hindu kids & women were burnt alive by muslim fanatics .
    please dont twist facts to support ur argument
    secularism thrives bcz of hinduism ,can u tell me which other country where muslims r in majority is seclar ???????

1. Alisha

How am I twisting facts? I am not going to comment on the dirty linen and past of HIndus Muslims or Christains! Your missing the point. I am merely saying In an educational Institute it is atrocious to nurture hatred towards any particular community! Peace and harmony is what needs to be preached on!!!!! Not who did what to whom! .Its ancient and baseless to fight in the name or religion!

9. Niraj

I’m from Kerala. The amazing fact about being a keralite is that an average person from there knows at least four languages. What I’m trying to say is that I can speak for our neighbors from Tamil Nadu.
    1. Kerala is a state that has always been polarized into the right and left wings. Bjp was never a player in this arena which is dominated by Congress and CPM. The Hindu majority is split considerably on the basis of caste while the large minority of Muslims and Christians consolidate their votes for a particular party without even evaluating the candidates. Kerala plays one of the worst communal politics in India.
    2. My brothers from Tamil Nadu has always had an admiration for Dictatorial figures. Their hero worship is beyond comprehension. Take the case of Madame Jayalalitha, no one dares to speak up against her or you’ll vanish the next day. But people love her for what she’s doing in return for all that power. They dont need a Modi to free them from her grasp. They are confident, comfortable and happy. But that was not the case with the rest of India.
    Lotus cannot blossom in a dry pond. Let’s wait for the rains.

10. am

quite silly article

By Ananya Anand

By Snigdha Gupta

By Namrata Vijay