This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Dhruv Arora. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

15 Shocking Ads That Show How Sexism Has Plagued The Industry Since The ’70s

More from Dhruv Arora

By Dhruv Arora:

Sexism and the advertisement industry have had a very long and storied relationship. For long, there has been a belief that the advertisement industry “sells what people will buy”, but the fact is that the way the industry is designed, it is supposed to create demand (not fulfill it). This is the reason why the entire industry draws in billions of dollars each year to create consumer demand based on trends that are created (not followed). The myth that the marketing industry cannot take up responsible advertising is grossly misplaced, and time has shown how consumer behavior and demand has shifted with the trends that have been created through mass advertising. The biggest myth that is oft believed is that sexism drives advertisement and the two cannot be de-linked, that “sex sells”. However, advertisement trends have changed over time and the industry, as a whole, continues to grow. Let’s have a look at some examples of vintage advertisements:

1. DelMonte, in this vintage ad, is surprised that a wife can open the bottle of ketchup without the help of tools, or for that matter, a husband.

2. From 1974, the era of Mad Men, Weyenberg Massagic decided to follow the “trend” at the time, and position women “where they belong” in this ridiculous ad for Playboy magazine.

Source

3. BPA Fun Center ran this ad in Detroit News in the United States where they decided this this really was the best pun they could come up with.

Source

4. Because apparently, women are good for one thing, and one thing only. Oh no, wait, there’s one more.

Source

5. And that would be cooking, apparently. Van Heusen takes a stand for men everywhere, helping them assert the fact that this is a “man’s world”.

6. Believe it or not, the actual offer was to win a trip to Russia, but because apparently the prospect of “owning” a Russian bride who could also double up as a sex-toy and a maid was so much more exciting than an international trip, Stil Vodka decided to runt with this catastrophe.

7. Just when you thought Van Heusen’s last ad featured here was as cringeworthy as it gets, I present to you another gem.

8. It’s nice to have some household objects, such as brooms, chairs, tables, mats, and of course, women. By the way, this gem by Leggs was about men’s slacks. Go figure.

Looking at these advertisements, one would think that we have come a long way from the kind of sexism that was rampant a decade or two ago. However, the following ads really showcase that even though the exact representation might have changed, the sexism still remains:

9. This ad by Ford made waves for all the wrong reasons when it decided to justify violence and male domination, (not-so-)smartly labelling women as problems that Ford will help men leave behind.

10. Dolce&Gabbana decides that the best way to promote its line of clothing would be a direct thumbs-up to the act of physical and sexual assertion.

11. I’ve talked about this before, but Madison Avenue decides to remind us again of the only two things women are apparently good for in this abhorrent ad.

12. Details Magazine couldn’t find a table, so they did the next best thing — got a female model to pose nude as one. What’s more — they hosted a slideshow on their website (which they have since taken down) which contained more such gems. Can you say ridiculous?

13. In case this reminds you of something, don’t be alarmed. Swiffer has, here, decided to reincarnate the classic illustration of Rosie, that has become synonymous with Women’s Rights over the past few years, only in a new role – the housekeeper.

14. American Apparel wants to sell clothes, so it decides to find male and female models to pose for them. Notice any difference between the two?

In the recent times, one would argue that the advertisement trend has changed. The recent Havells ad, this Fastrack ad, Tanishq’s ad about remarriage, and Google’s Reunion ad are some examples of progressive advertising, and even though sometimes highly criticized, one could argue that there is a sense of responsibility that is has been taken with the content of these ads. However, we still have a long, long way to go, in a culture where the Indian Culture is oft falsely interpreted as conservative and anti-homosexual, the censor board decides to ban cleavage on TV, but sexism and overtly sexualized advertisements and item numbers still run amass. Even during the past few years in India, these advertisements are testament to the sexist culture we live in.

15. After a lot of thought, I have decided that I honestly have nothing to say about this gem by FATfree.

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter.

1. Mohd Babar Shahid

Here we go again. All of women’s problems are because men. Why don’t we show the other side of the picture? Men were the ones who were victims of slavery and racism, and those being killed in war. Even today, men protect the borders of our country so that we can sleep in peace, and I believe that ‘we’ includes women. It was men who fought for their women, and even today, men risk their lives to protect women, be it a husband, brother, or son. The whole “I don’t need a man in my life” by feminists is utter nonsense. When the Titanic was sinking, it was men who said ” women and children first.” Why didn’t women then say that there should be equality and refuse to go first? Men did this knowing they will be dead and could have chosen to leave. On buses, airports, and other public places, why is it that if there is one seat available, it is the woman who is seated by her husband. Why is that that men are asked to be ‘gentlemen’ and leave their seat for women in public places, and even when men do so voluntarily, women never say “no” and preach equality. Why can a woman break a line in a petrol pump or a bank and no man dares utter a word?

It is a fact that feminists are funded by their respective governments in many countries and it is now all about money and power. It is not just politicians who enjoy power. Women want is easy in life, which is why they won’t take risks to get to the top, whereas men will risk their limbs if necessary, not to mention their life, to get to the top of the ladder in the corporate world. Women want gifts and jewellery and love and attention and care and money and a driver, which is why they marry. And then the jealous ones out there preach how a “woman needs a man as a fish needs a bicycle.”

It is not a man’s world. It is because men work harder than women and take more risks, and for every successful woman, yes there are many successful men out there but there are also many men who are dead, trying to work for their families, and that includes women, but of course, feminists will incessantly rant about discrimination. Women are free to exchange sex for money, whether in marriage or outside marriage, but they can never work as hard as men or take as many risks.

1. Dhruv Arora

All feminists are funded by governments? Damn, I seem to have missed the memo. Where can I collect the cheque?

By the way – this post was not (although that’s a great idea for my next article) about men suppressing women, but the advertisement industry abusing the ideas of sexism for profit. I love the way you totally assumed that
      a) All advertisement agencies are exclusively run by men, so I must be insinuating that women > men (not even starting the debate about whether gender bias or not, job opportunities, sex selection etc.)
      b) There is no gender bias, and “feminists” have a “propoganda” to create it, and sexism does not exist (while simultaneously claiming sexism hurts men as well, which it does).

Way to miss the point of this post.

2. Mohd Babar Shahid

>All feminists are funded by governments? Damn, I seem to have missed the memo. Where can I collect the cheque?

No, not all feminists are funded. I think I clearly mentioned many countries, not all countries. While the real feminists enjoy their money and power and sense of superiority, you can reiterate their nonsense without realizing that it is bigoted and two-faced, and sorry to say, no pay cheque for you.

>By the way – this post was not (although that’s a great idea for my next article) about men suppressing women,

Men suppressing women? Wow, you must be really short of idea for your articles. Let me give you some real ideas. How about women abusing their daughters-in-law, women beating their domestic help, women cursing their husbands, false rape cases, fake dowry cases, fabricated allegations of domestic violence, etc. Of course, you are not going to write about these issues, because then you lose your popularity among the ladies.

>All advertisement agencies are exclusively run by men, so I must be insinuating that women > men (not even starting the debate about whether gender bias or not, job opportunities, sex selection etc.)

You mean to say that the above ads were all created by women? Gender bias? Oh yes, reserve seats for women everywhere, from the bus to companies in the corporate world and then cry about gender bias. Job Opportunities? The arts and humanities faculty is filled with women, and then they cry about lack of job opportunities competing with men who have toiled for years for their Ph.D. Women who are good looking are often hired over men who are better qualified. I can go on and on but I want to jump to the last ad. What exactly is so wrong about looking fit and pretty for one’s husband? Men can also join a gym to get fit for their wives. Oh, by the way, women have no hesitation in looking fit and pretty when they go to work, they feel proud to look fit and pretty in front of all kinds of men, but no, it is cruelty and oppression a woman is even hinted that she should look pretty for her husband. Cosmetics is a billion dollar industry. Do you think women use all that to look pretty for their husbands?

3. Dakksh

Dear Md Babar Shahid (should I be convicted for I could not resist calling an other man ‘Dear’, out of sarcasm though?).
      If you have ever competed with a woman you know how fiercely go getters they are and that is shown in almost all the opportunity they get, be it any exam, a job and an interview, when you are up against a woman you know you are going to loose it and you can only satisfy your ego by telling yourself that she is a woman so people are hiring her or promoting her. And wake up, women are in army. My stupid self is trying to present a point to a man who was told and he believed that women are second citizen and will remain second no matter how successful in every aspect they are.
      Despite being so oppsed by the other gender, whole society, even their partners and parents,women go and make a mark when ever THEY GET AN OPPORUTNITY. You commented that few things women are not doinb and men are getting killed, well, give the opportuniy or better yet DO NOT SUPPRESS YOUR DAUGHTERS, WIVES, FEMALE FRIENDS and they will go and find opportunities for themselves.
      A girl child is told that she will always be 2nd, made to please men, and THE FAMILY HONOUR lies on how she even breathes let alone anything else. Am amazed to my core everytime I see a confident woman, as the circumstances around her make it almost impossible, its remarkable how they get the confidence.

Be a man, and go cook some dinner and rest will fall in place, don’t stress yourself too much, Leave it to the pros.

4. Babar

Mr, Dakksh, you are missing my point. I absolutely love women and want them to prosper, and it gives me immense pleasure when they do well, be it at academics, sports, or whatever. Two of my female cousins (or should I say women cousins, even though it is perfectly acceptable to say male cousins) have earned their M.D. and are doctors. That is a source of immense happiness for me. If I have a daughter, I will love her to death and will let her become whatever she wants to be in life.

My point is, we can avoid the incessant, needless, and endless rants on equality under the guise of feminism while in reality feminism is full of double standards. This blog contains 10,000 articles on women’s rights, and there is not a single article which clearly highlights false rape cases, fake dowry cases, and fabricated allegations of domestic violence.

There are countless innocent men rotting in Indian jails who are victims of Indian laws designed to “protect” women, where cunning and greedy women came up with false allegations. If a woman is asked to cook food she is oppressed, but if a man rots in jail for years in a false rape case, there is not a single article to talk about the issue. If feminism is really about equality, then feminists should be talking about men’s rights in the same proportion that they talk about women’s rights, otherwise there is no equality.

How many women are in the army as compared to men? What percentage? Men work in the army, men work as construction workers, men work as coal miners, and throughout history men have worked dangerous jobs to feed and support women, often losing their limbs and their lives. If a woman so much as makes coffee for a husband, she is suppressed and oppressed. Women can make coffee in coffee shops for men, they can work as waitresses in restaurants and serve men, they can work as air hostesses in planes and serve men, but it is a heinous crime according to feminists if a woman is asked to serve her husband with a glass of water.

It is a fact that many women prefer to stay at home and become homemakers, because they enjoy the comfort and security of their homes. They get an education but without the intention of working in a professional job. And there are those who don’t want to study at all, who know that they will get married anyway and will have a husband to earn for them. Compare this with a man who knows that he has no option but to get an education and earn, so the statistics of men and women in the workforce are never going to show the reality. Of course, there are going to be more men in the workforce.

Almost all inventions and scientific and medical discoveries that we benefit from today are a result of the hard work of men. A woman needs a man so much as if there is a cockroach in the kitchen, so please don’t preach equality. Feminism is not what teenage girls are led to believe, and then they follow the notions blindly because they feel a need to belong to a particular group.

5. Aditi

Babar, you’re just hilarious.
      Keep it up.
      Oh, but wait, I am a women, how would my compliment matter.
      Tch. Tch.

6. Babar

Simply read the first paragraph of my previous comment and you will find out that your compliment will matter. However, all you are indulging is indulging in sarcasm. Instead, please go ahead and prove my points wrong and/or answer the questions I have raised in my comments. Thank you.

7. Dakksh

Firstly, am a WOMAN, thought that was clear from the way I addressed you in my last replt. I work and has always gotton better offers in job than my male seniors, because I was given the OPPRTUNITY to be an achiever and was supported by everyone around me. Am NEVER compared with a male counterpart ever in my life, and its a WONDERFUL LIFE. RARELY women get such support, and when they do they deliver BETTER than man.
      If women are not doing better its us, the society to blame for the boundries we make around them. I agree there are fake domestic abuse and rapd cases against men but they no way comparable to the number of women jailed in their own housr, be it their parents house or husbands.
      If your own parents tell you that your purpose will to go lighten up someone else’s home and thats what they are raising her for, see what that does to your confidence.
      If a man and a women go and swim naked in public, people and family will say to the man,’ Man, how crazy was that? Whoa.’ and he will talk about it as an achievement for his life. And what will happen to the woman, I need not tell you.
      An oppressed person can do as much WITHIN THE LIMITS SET FOR THEM, and you can not blame them for looking for an easy way out, as if any thing out of order happens to them, NO ONE SPARES THEM.
      Lets focus on the fundamental differences on how differently raise our sons and daughters, and you will not have the problems from women that you mentioned earlier.
      Just by saying that men have done all the disvoveries does not mean that they have. Needless to say, even today women’s discoveries are being published under men’s names as people feel more comfortable with the idea.
      For a fact I can tell you, we can pick a cockroach and look in its eyes. The kind of women who can not, they were told by their brothers and fathers to stay away while they deal with the cockroach and its a failure in our part if we tell our girls that handling a cockroach is men’s job.
      A women should not be expected to serve food or water, BOTH SHOULD.
      I rest my case.
      Dakksh

8. Monistaf

We have diverted from the topic of the original post, but I am compelled to respond because of blanket statements you make like “Women deliver better than man”. Where is the proof? Is your one case proof to make such general blanket statements? Throughout history, and even today, the vast majority of innovations are from men, even in countries where equality has been around for a while now.
      Then, you talk about the number of cases where women are jailed in their own houses. The last time I checked, the law applied to BOTH men and women equally and you claim that women are better if not equal to men, so please walk out. What is preventing them? Are they weaker? Not capable of fighting for themselves?
      So, a woman’s inability to look a cockroach in the eye is because of men? When will you stop blaming men for all your problems? You claim equality, but you look for excuses? The next time someone tells you it is a man’s job, you should tell her or him that you are equally capable and still do it. That is what equality is, you fight against injustice, not COMPLAIN about it and make excuses. After all, you are EQUALLY capable of fighting, or are you?

9. charu

Sir,
      actually I dont know which world are you living in?!! Given your point of views I must say you are entirely wrong!! Please broaden your thinking. I am a decent IT engineer working alongwith my husband, I never got married for his riches or for gifts jewellary etc what other things u said.. sigh..
      Whatever you have written makes me laugh literally. Women wants to easy in life?? Do u really think
      Cooking for etire clan, taking care of family.. starting a family..as well as working in the office for 9 hours is an easy task?? We dont take risks u say?? Delivering a child is a life altering event, biggest risk for mankind..please respect that.. in corporate world, if u think guys take risks and for that ur point was intended, even I do the same. And yes i do get recognised for that..
      i am happy to say i workbetter than my male counterparts, notbecause i am a woman or ur some sic assumptions but because i work d best.
      Your last line is completely bogus I must say.i dont even want to react to it
      I guess you never came in terms with a working woman like us who love our families and work at same time and balancing them is not less than walking on a rope.
      If you got a bad experiences yourself kindly write ‘some woman’ henceforth and not the entire womanhood.

10. Vaidehi Muradi

@Mohd Babar Shahid :
      You said — “My point is, we can avoid the incessant, needless, and endless rants on equality under the guise of feminism while in reality feminism is full of double standards. This blog contains 10,000 articles on women’s rights, and there is not a single article which clearly highlights false rape cases, fake dowry cases, and fabricated allegations of domestic violence.here are countless innocent men rotting in Indian jails who are victims of Indian laws designed to “protect” women, where cunning and greedy women came up with false allegations. ”

Did you know for every 20 minutes a women is raped in India ? In your above statements, are you saying for every 20 minutes there is a false case registered against men ?
      So what happens to that “innocent” man after he is accused ? He is put in jail. Comes out free after few months or years. What happens to that woman who was raped ? Even though she is not sent to a real jail, she is termed outcast for no fault of hers ! Put the falsely accused men and the sexually assualted women aside, what happens to that man who raped this woman brutally ? He roams freely and happily outside while this girl is dying inside and also mentally tormented by all the people around her. I am not saying that it is ok for innocent men to be jailed for false cases, but how can you say it can be avoided or it is needless for women/men to speak about stopping rapes or about equality of men and women. You are simply generalising things for no reason.

You also said — ” Women want is easy in life, which is why they won’t take risks to get to the top, whereas men will risk their limbs if necessary, not to mention their life, to get to the top of the ladder in the corporate world. Women want gifts and jewellery and love and attention and care and money and a driver, which is why they marry. ”
      ” It is a fact that many women prefer to stay at home and become homemakers, because they enjoy the comfort and security of their homes. They get an education but without the intention of working in a professional job. And there are those who don’t want to study at all, who know that they will get married anyway and will have a husband to earn for them. ”

How many women get the chance to get educated !? or have the choice over marriage or education!? Women living in the urban areas are the only women living in this world ? Do you know anything about child marriages ? What happens to those women living in rural areas ? What about that guy who rapes that girl in that village and the village then forces that girl to get married to that criminal!!!???? Do you know sometimes a woman is not even nallowed to study further because she is told ” what is the point of studying further when you have to get married, takecare of your husband and family and finally have kids. ( most importantly boy first ) ” .

Please watch this video!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_zppPutQw
      After watching this video, will you still agree to your point ? — ” Women want gifts and jewellery and love and attention and care and money and a driver, which is why they marry . And there are those who don’t want to study at all, who know that they will get married anyway and will have a husband to earn for them. ”
      You think these little girls got married for same reason ? You think that girl could expect all these in return from that guy who got her pergnant and made her give birth to 2 kids when she was only 14 years old!

and oh wait wait. Aha so a man works hard to establish his position in corporate world. I am so sorry , we know how easy a childbirth is right ? 9 months of pure fun! It is just a matter of few seconds and the child pop outs of a woman’s body without any pain caused! In few families, this process is repeated till mother gives birth to a baby boy, you know why!? Because like you said, ” Man is the one who does all the inventions” . Yes, you are right a man works hard and does everything for the family. Woman has no role. ( For those people who did’nt get my sarcasm here *face palm*)

Even if you refer to a urban area woman, who slightly has more freedom than rural area women, you think it is easy to manage home, office, kids, husband and the whole family at the same time ? If the man is working hard, so is the woman. Forget feminism and male chauvinism. Follow humanism.

I don’t even want to react to your other disgustingly funny questions. I would not have replied at all to any comments if you had just stated problems faced by men, I replied because you stated that it is needless to talk about women issues caused by men. You also stated that men are always the ones who work hard and not the women. If you think feminism has double standards, then please re-check your comments. Because no where did you make any comments that put men and women on equal terms. That my friend is also called “double standards”. If you think feminists are NOT treating both genders equally, then you are also doing the SAMETHING my friend!

If you think it is important to highlight men issues that you specified, why don’t you write a post about it ? why complain that there is no single post here on that issue , I am sure Youth ki Awaaz would publish it if its worth publishing.

@Dhruv Arora : Thank you for bringing such realities to our notice. Appreciate the effort. Very well written.

11. Babar

>Did you know for every 20 minutes a women is raped in India ? In your above statements, are you saying for every 20 minutes there is a false case registered against men ? So what happens to that “innocent” man after he is accused ? He is put in jail. Comes out free after few months or years. What happens to that woman who was raped ? Even though she is not sent to a real jail, she is termed outcast for no fault of hers ! Put the falsely accused men and the sexually assualted women aside, what happens to that man who raped this woman brutally ? He roams freely and happily outside while this girl is dying inside and also mentally tormented by all the people around her.

You sound like it is really easy to rot in jail for a few years. I mean, he will simply come out of jail one day! God forbid, but if you had to spend a decade in jail for a crime that you did not commit, you would understand. Okay, so a false case of rape is not registered every twenty minutes, but does that mean that we should not talk about it? Should we not talk about false dowry cases either? And fake cases of domestic violence? Actually, not all rapists roam around freely, many are punished, but what happens to those women who falsely accuse men of rape, dowry, and domestic violence. They roam around freely while countless innocent Indian men rot in jail.

>How many women get the chance to get educated !? or have the choice over marriage or education!? Women living in the urban areas are the only women living in this world ? Do you know anything about child marriages ?

It is not so simple. In many families, where poor people have two children, one boy and one girl, they only have enough to educate one child, thus the reason why many girls are unable to get an education is because of financial restraints, not because of discrimination. Also, in many poor families, it is the boys who have to work as child labourers to support their parents, which means that hundreds of thousands of boys are also deprived of an education. Child marriages are abhorrent, no question about it.

>I replied because you stated that it is needless to talk about women issues caused by men. You also stated that men are always the ones who work hard and not the women.

I never said that it is needless to talk about women’s issues, or that men are only ones who work hard. Of course, women work hard, but there are many who are good-for-nothing who get married to rich men, while a man knows that working is his only option. I have already mentioned how it is pointless to compare statistics and then cry discrimination so I am not going to reiterate it. Also, I don’t know why women always start talking about childbirth when we are talking about professional work.

12. vaidehi muradi

Oh my god . I never said rotting in jail is easy. I was just asking you to think about the comparison you made. You were the one who was tired of ” listening to woman who talk of rape cases blah blah” and also said ” instead why don’t people talk about false cases on men ” . I was trying to explain to you that these both are two different crimes with different intensities. I also said that it is not right for innocent men to go jail. I was just trying to explain to you that women issues are discussed so highly because the main reason could have been ” for every 20 minutes a woman is raped in india “.
      Be it any gender, anything wrong with the world should not be tolerated. Be it a man’s issue or a woman’s issue. It is my bad, I didn’t type the right words because you obviously got the wrong gist out of it. LET ME PUT IT AGAIN. NO I DONT THINK IT IS RIGHT FOR MEN TO GO JAIL FOR FALSE CASES.

I do not agree on that point that only boys work as child labourers. Girls are also forced to work as child labourers too.

Wonder what happened to the 200 schoolgirls of Nigeria who were kidnapped and so many such cases around the world. You said – ” all woman want is easy in life, they don’t even get educated sometimes because they can depend on their husbands”. Hmmm I wonder if you would say the same thing if you were born as a girl in Nigeria or in India as a matter of fact. ( I don’t even want to start with indian girl problems). You were talking about MAN issues. I was trying to tell you that for a GIRL, problem arises from the time she is born till she becomes a WOMAN ! By stating this, I am not undermining guy problems. Please don’t draw such conclusions again.

And yea I made that comparison about childbirth . Again I would like to mention your point ” all women want is easy in life “. Really all woman is easy in life ?? Is child birth easy ? But that is what women and men want too! Right? Otherwise how will the human race progress further. These days women are working and at the same time they are also homemakers. That itself is tough , and you said ” a woman sometimes does not even get education because she want to be depending on her “hard-working” husband ” so I was trying to explain to you that a woman works equally hard too , it takes a lot of effort to take care of everything and everybody at home. Being a good homemaker requires lot of efforts. May be I can assume that you had bad experiences or have seen some women like that in your life but don’t generalise that for all woman.

My whole point was to say only one thing , if men issues are important so are women issues too. If men are hard- working , so are women too. And if you feel that men issues are getting overshadowed because of women issues, I suggest you once again, please be the change you wish to see. Start writing about it., not just in comments but a post. If it is right, people will always appreciate your work and spread it. And also please do let me know, I would love to read it and let other people know about it.

I rest my case here. I am not here to prove you wrong or fight with you. I have nothing against you. I believe this world would have been a lot better place to live if people could just see the hard work of women and also appreciated it equally as much as they did for a man’s hard work and treated both genders equally. That is all.

Wish you a nice day ahead. Cheers. Preaching humanism. Peace.

13. ItsJustMe

Just to make somethings which are wrong with the women being raped every 20 mins statistics. First of all it is a wrong statistic, a rape case is reported every 20 mins in India. There is no way all of them are true, in fact after the amendment of the rape law, there were over 550 cases registered in Delhi alone in 2013.
      Only 12 of them were proven to be rape.
      Most of them turned out to be girls having consensual sex and then charging the men in question with rape as the relationship fell off. Even if we consider 120 of them were actually rape and they could not prove (despite the highly gender biased rape law), it will still leave a majority of the cases as false rape accusations.

That alone does not fully capture the reason for that statistics. I will quote another statistics here with reference links in Wikipedia
      India has recorded 43,300 murders in the year 2012 (a rate of 3.5 per 100000 people).
      The same year there were 24923 (a rate of 2 per 100000) rape cases reported.

The wikipedia links for the statistics are given below for anyone who suspect I made these up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_India

Compared to USA which has about 30 rapes per Lakh, UK it is 66 rapes per lakh, even if you triple the figure in India it will be no where near these developed countries rape rates. None of these countries thought of having a gender biased rape law. Not to mention we do not have homicide law which assumes the accused to be guilty and leave the responsibility of proving his innocence with the defense lawyer despite the homicide rate being higher than rape.
      In India we have more rapes because we have more lakhs of people than any other country and Over 19% of the world’s human beings live in this subcontinent. To give you more perspective Australia has a population of about 30 million, and Kerala has 33 million.

Again a rape accused faces a lot of anger and prejudice from the society. Mostly these men will loose their jobs, there are instances in which the accused were beaten up in public with his family watching, most of them get abandoned by their families. Recently a rape accused was lynched to death by angry mob in Nagaland and he turned out to be innocent. So you do not have to go to jail to be punished. A rape accusation can seriously hurt your life and that is what is going on now a days.
      But the likes of you will subscribe to the mainstream media and read about what rape victims go through and completely forget the other side of this problem.

14. surya

Firstly, I agree with you @Vaidehi Muradi. Secondly, I don’t know how can one argue with someone with dual standards. Coming to the issue, there are two faces for a coin!! Yeah, I totally agree that there are false allegation against men by women in almost every case. But one can never deny that a true rape case is always heinous and catastrophic for a woman’s life than a false charge against a man. Same is the case with false dowry allegation, what about the women who are beaten up and even killed for the same dowry? If a false allegation is charged against a man it is tested by trial and then a judgement is passed ( there are cases of wrong judgement too). How can we compare a true heinous crime against a false allegation? I don’t understand the basic processing in your left brain.
      Sir, it is our mother’s who have worked hard from the time even before our birth and re-lived with our birth. How can we ignore their hardships as homemakers and trying to provide us with everything we ask for. If they have opted for easy and problem less lives, where would we have been? I think this perspective should explain you that they don’t always seek easy lives. Coming to the modern day, they are also burdened with managing the economics of the home by working …..i think you know where i am going with this.
      The problem with us , is the fear of losing the domination over women, it may be attributed to the male-EGO which i think was depicted in the article. And the ad campaigns are just trying to exploit the same. what is the relation between a formal shirt and hitting women?
      The thing i want to convey is just to understand the hardships and facilities the “Oppressed Majority” have, it is directly proportional to their professional prosperity. How can one deny that? Women by nature have inherited their own set of problems (if you understand their pain) and then these societal, religious and cultural norms….. how can you expect a woman in India to prosper and compete with others? yet they have and there are many independent women around us , in your, my and other families. Bro, if i can call you that, there are always stereotypes in the society in both men and women but we cannot keep on generalizing and tag them (male chauvinist and feminists). Coming to the greatest achievements by women, Kalpana chawla is the great epitome of professional competitiveness and she has achieved what no other man from india has ever achieved. I think that answers your question . Going to the western world, i can give you a handful of names starting from Madam Curie, Frau Angela Merkel, etc., Yeah i agree men out number women in the game but the thing is they are competing and emerging as achievers. In the whole world there may be false allegations against men , but men are never oppressed by women ( leave individuals) in any society. Each and every BODY on this earth has its unique identity and we cannot degrade them and make them inferior to others.
      Finally, “The well being of an society is measured by the way the female sex is treated”- Karl Marx. So, all we can do is not to brood over domination of one gender over the other, but to strive for equality and co-operate with each other so that we can create a better world and make the world a better place for next generation where they live together with mutual respect.

15. Vaidehi Muradi

Appreciate your support! I totally agree with you. Very well put.

16. Babar

>Wonder what happened to the 200 schoolgirls of Nigeria who were kidnapped and so many such cases around the world.

Do you know that on Feb 25, 2014, 59 Nigerian school boys were shot, killed, and burnt alive in a gruesome and horrendous manner. Little international coverage. Three months later, when Nigerian girls are kidnapped, the Obama administration, media, and feminists suddenly wake up, and there is an uproar and campaigns and what not. Violence against boys is the same as violence against girls, but those 59 innocent boys were not a subject of discussion because they were boys. Now imagine if the same has happened to 59 Nigerian girls – would we have been so silent? This is the same in all fields of life. Just type “misandry in the media” or “sexism against men” in Google or YouTube and you will find that men are victims of sexism too, in fact, more than women. But does it matter, since they are men? Men also get raped by women, men are also victims of domestic violence by women, but these things hardly matter. I believe in women’s rights. I believe in equality. But for their to be equality, the problems of women and men have to be highlighted. This particular blog post by Mr. Arora has done nothing except make men look bad, I wonder if in his next one he will highlight sexism against men by women. I doubt it! 🙂 Thanks and best regards.

17. Babar

*But for their to be equality, the problems of both women and men have to be highlighted.

18. Aritra

You see Mr. Babar, I had to take some great pain in reading your comments which are cluttered with chauvinism….here are some stats by the way…In India a girl is eve-teased once every 1 minute okay? whereas, a man rarely gets that or perhaps once in a blue moon. In India a woman is raped once every 20 mins whereas, a man is raped once every 20 days…you see the discrepancy? now both the problems exist but what the author has tried to convey is the perpetuated sexism that has been there for generations…now I don’t know whether you know it or not but there are various methods of persuasion and ad-companies are known for it..they hit on existing stereotypes whilst, it may mean nothing to you but imagine a 6 year old watching this Van Heusen Ad what would he learn?
      Secondly, your point abt false accusation yes, you are right with regards to that but you simply can’t negate that women have it worse furthermore, can you honestly claim that domestic violence rates are lower than false-domestic violence rates? i think the ratio maybe 30000:1 and yes there are problems such as ‘chivalry’ and such false cases but let’s stick to the facts and truly understand that sexism is a problem of India and harms both the genders but please don’t argue for arguments sake and lets be a little bit more logical if that’s not too much to ask

19. ItsJustMe

@Surya very well constructed argument and beautiful scheme of thoughts. Here are some points I disagree with

I am sure you have the intellect and gender neutrality to understand what exactly a rape accused will face if only you can keep and open mind try to do some reading on this. It is in no way any better than getting raped. Thats our society, it shows no mercy to the victim or the perpetrator, I do not know how to feel about that

False dowry allegations – It might surprise you to know that almost twice as many women are arrested on dowry charges than men. It gives the women ability to file a case against anyone who is related to her husband. Mostly dowry cases are filed in a combination package of rape accusation against male members of the husband’s family to give the case more ground.

I would also like to point you to some recent changes in the alimony law which gives women right over inherited property of her husband as well. In most joint families, this will mean that almost everyone from the husband’s family will loose their homes

Whatever you are preaching, being a human being in a country, it is deeply hurtful to see laws biased against a gender. To give a gender preferential treatment through reservation is like telling a man you are born with a penis so I am sorry she gets your spot. To give every girl free education, but not boys is saying to him your forefathers have been acting like real jerks so we are punishing your generation for it.

We Indians were oppressed by the British for more than a century, do we get any special treatment in Britain today. Do black people get preferential treatment and free education in USA? Do jews get reservation and affirmative action in Germany? Why do women need special treatment?
      To raise the point this article has so eloquently pointed out, 50 years from now our grandchildren will be looking at an article titled “Instances of sexism and gender bias against men in India captured through these laws in early 2000s”
      What I am trying to say is, yes there have been injustices faced by women throughout history. But punishing the present generation of men with gender bias in almost every field is us repeating our mistakes except to another gender. To turn a blind eye towards these problems and be silent is sexism and I hope it will become clear to our future generations if not todays.
      For in the end we shall not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends – Martin Luther King

20. S Das

I believe the main differentiating point in society between men and women is men are physically stronger than women…
      So everything related to sexism comes like any other issues in society..
      Powerful prey on, makes total use of powerless.
      Powerful protects powerless.
      Powerless sometimes calls for extra support because otherwise from a overall standpoint they would not get a chance to feel free.
      Peace…

2. charu

I guess these all are some offending advertisements which are brought to our notice. Thank you for doing that!
    I have always been irritated by ads of the latest time here its hard to understand the chemistry between the product the company is selling and the model mostly the woman whos into it!!
    For eg.. bathroom tubs..be it a pipe or a switch or a sofa.. or any damn thing.. why doesnt makers od thr ad company portray the women in the right sense as a equal counterpart rather than a stupid female running behind a men’s perfume??
    If such portrayal goes on.. we are telling the new generation that it was , is ans will always be a Man’s world!
    Feeling hopeful for the better to come..

3. Eesha

Nothing wrong with the FATfree. I think everyone should make an effort to look good for their partners, whether they’re men, women or those eight year olds who’ve just found out what ‘girlfriend’ means.

1. Anuva

With due respect, I would like to say a few things that it is not necessary to look fit and pretty for either boy or girl and living in India specially and one can recognise that it indirectly implies the same thing

4. vinny

This looks good though

5. Vivek Kumar

I hate women.For me the women don’t exist.

More from Dhruv Arora

By Mushin No Shin

By Payoja Bhakre

By Sakshi Tyagi