The Gang Rape Of A 15-Year-Old Girl That The Media Never Told You About

By Kanika Sharma:

I was born and brought up in a small place called Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh. I have always been one of those who believed that life in small places meant one being closer to nature and to one another, that life was simpler and there was more love and compassion in people’s heart. I had always believed that Chhindwara was that kind of a place which wouldn’t hesitate to stand up in solidarity against injustice. But my town failed me. And more importantly, it failed a child who needed its protection, warmth and nurture the most.

Rupa (name changed) will be turning 15 this year. She is mute and was born with a disability. She comes from an adivasi family of daily wage labourers who have neither land nor a house of their own. On the evening of 13th April, 2014, her father, after earning his wage from a day’s hard work gave Rupa Rs. 10 to buy her favourite biscuits from the near-by market. Rupa, however, didn’t come back home that evening. Four men abducted and gang-raped her.

On the night of 14th April, she was left at a crowded place from where she walked a long distance to reach home – in pain and in confusion. She couldn’t understand what had happened to her and why. She was, after all, just a child, that too with multiple disabilities. After she reached home in a distraught state, her mother, seeing her changed clothes and physical condition, realised what had happened to the child. Through her voiceless expressions, Rupa told her mother that she was taken to a house by a man on a motorbike and there, they “did wrong to her”.

rape

The FIR was lodged the very next day by her mother. But what followed after that reveals how the so-called supporting institutions and the society at large function. Yes, the police did register the FIR, and yes, the medical examination of the child did happen. But was she treated the way she should have been? No. Were the protocols, both medically and legally, followed in a case like this? No. Was there some show of sensitivity, of understanding, of support? No. Has there been any progress in the case in the last one and half months? No.

For more than two weeks after the incident, the police could not arrange for experts qualified to understand her expressions and emotions, thereby delaying recording her statements. In the meanwhile, everyone, from the woman officer who was the initial investigating officer to the SP, considered themselves “experts” and questioned the girl one after the other. Naturally, she was neither in the state to face their harrowing questions, nor could the police station be a comforting place for any child. Legally, she should not have been called to the police station at all. The police, if at all they wanted to ask something, ought to have gone to the child’s house and that too in civil dress so that an enabling and supportive environment is ensured. These are the basic protocols that must be followed in cases involving minor victims. Instead of this, the victim and her family were subjected to mistreatment. The police passed insulting comments about the girl’s disabilities, called her “mad” and told the mother to send the child to a mental asylum. Due to a complete lack of will and inaction by the police, this case has not moved ahead an inch.

Similarly, one can sense a blatant breach of medical protocols in this case. For example, the SP told one of the reporters that in the medical report, it has been stated that there is ‘old tear in the hymen’ of the victim. Now, after having confirmed with the health experts working on such cases, we now know that no examiner/doctor can write such a thing in the report. Tear in the hymen, old or new, is not the scientific determinative of sexual assault as hymenal tears can occur due to any vigorous activity such as swimming, cycling, or even falling while playing and therefore they must not even be mentioned in the medical examination report of a rape. More importantly, we strongly suspect that the banned two-finger test has been performed on the girl. Although, the confirmation of this will come to us through the medical report for which we have filed an RTI, this breach of protocols is clear violations of human rights of the girl. And all this has gone completely unnoticed.

When the police, doctors and administration fail, one always expects that the fourth pillar of democracy and the civil society, both of which are important in forming the public opinion about issues as well, would come forward. But in this case, even their role has been disappointing. While the media did initially cover this issue, it treated the issue like mere news, without giving it the significance it demanded. Neither were there follow-up reports which would have helped in building some pressure, nor any articles, debates, opinion pieces which are important for forming public opinion. The civil society, consisting of NGOs, unions and so on, also didn’t act the way the issue demanded. People working for “women empowerment” did organise seminars and meetings at that very time, but didn’t find this issue to be significant enough to take up. No help has reached the survivor from their side as well.

It has been more than one and a half months now. Rupa, who used to love roaming around, now stays mostly at home, under the constant vigil of her 10-year-old brother. Her mother, after many days of unemployment due to rounds to the police station, has now finally started going to a construction site because she has to feed her children somehow. The accused are roaming free. The police is busy denying the allegations of their inaction and calling the family of the girl “uncooperative”. There has been no compensation or rehabilitation efforts for the survivor. The doctors continue to remain uninformed, thereby violating many more such protocols. The media have found something more newsworthy and the NGOs working for empowering women are meeting the SP to make the city more women-friendly. And in all this, my town continues to move on, unaffected and ignorant.

Note: The photo used is only for representational purposes and in no way represents the survivor or the case.

About the authorKanika Sharma has raised her voice and is trying to fight this case to ensure that Rupa (name changed) gets the justice she deserves.

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at dial1098@childlineindia.org.in. You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.

1. anurag jain

Request to every single person who read this article.Its time to raise your voice.
    Dont Hide, speak out.
    We want Justice.

Support Kanika Sharma.

2. Rita

Kanika – thank you for raising awareness of this case. Is there anything we can do through social media/petitioning etc?

1. muft

We could file a petition via http://www.avaaz.org/en/

3. Sumit Sethia

Support Kanika Sharma.

4. Anonymous Youth

Good article. These needs more light to be shed upon them.

5. Vanshika

Hii Kanika,
    One needs.great courage to take up.an issue that has been blatantly ignored and put in the back burner by almost all the authorities who otherwise are responsible to.help the victim. I will support u by whatever way i.can.

6. Shivangi Singh

With this struggle, I hope this may help-

Inscrutable I am-
    to the world, to myself;
    with this heart full of perplexity,
    I writhe.

In the broiling sun,
    my strength is burning into ashes.
    The hot and agile wind touch my face,
    deserting me to the dungeon.
    The haze, as it comes-
    sops me with affliction
    and drowns me into the sea of disappointment.
    Sand is running behind
    to culminate me to the dunes.

I am standing alone here, all alone,
    seeing myself decimate.

But the clouds, I know,
    are yet to come;
    it will impede the sun
    and bring the rain with it.

The sand will be hooked,
    by the rain onto the earth;
    and also, it will take away
    the hot perturbing wind from my face.

And the haze,
    the haze will join up the rain,
    leaving me balanced;
    both relieved and learned,
    for the wrath is not to be forgotten.

7. Sivakumar

I’m a student living in states. Whenever these incidents represent my country, I feel ashamed of myself not doing anything to prevent it. If there is anything we could do, please guide us.

8. Subhankar Ganai

The time is running out from us…if not now then when…raise your voice for Kanika

9. Kanika

So good to see the support. In difficult times like these, it is this kind of show of solidarity that keeps one going. More up-dates/ follow-ups to follow soon. In the meantime, do keep spreading the word because there are many more Rupas who have been silenced by the unjust system.

In Solidarity,
    Kanika

10. akanksha singh

some societies should also be made for the pshycologically sick people who commit these kind of acts without realizing the consequences .

11. monika

If any kind of help needed so please contact me
    i would feel privileged to help in any way i can..

12. Prakhar Jajoo

Hi Kanika
    My full support is with RUPA. My full support is with you. Dont worry that sick monster will be behind the bars very soon. Keep the faith on.

13. Gaurav

I completely agree with the writer. apart fro what the writer has said, there is another thing that can and should be done. to do an objective reason for the breakdown of society in such a manner. without doing proper analysis of why this is happening it might be difficult to solve this issue.

14. Asim

Ladenge, jeetenge !!!!!!!!

15. Vandana

Dear Kanika Sharma,

I am glad that you brought up this issue to discuss on this forum. Working on the issue recently in Delhi, where we were talking about laws and policies on child sexual abuse, it was upsetting to hear about the ground level realities as in Rupa’s case. But probably someone has to start with bridging this huge gap between imagined and real scenario to work for the complete safety, security, protection and justice for the child with sexual abuse. Would really like to appreciate your efforts.

There are certain ways in which the issue can be dealt with:
    1. I think you should write a letter to NHRC (National Human Rights Commission) explaining the current status of the case and all that was expected and wasn’t received. Though you might think that this is again another lengthy process of fighting for justice, I am really hopeful as help has been ensured in previous such cases.
    2. Further, as you might have been aware about the enforcement of the new law POCSO (Protection of Child with Sexual Abuse) 2012 which has guaranteed justice by providing various protective measures along with establishment of special courts for trial of sexual offence (especially for disabled child). Kindly go through the link provided below and initiate necessary steps: http://wcd.nic.in/childact/childprotection31072012.pdf
    3. Further, if there are physical ailments requiring immediate medical attention and since the child is in M.P, kindly direct her to procure medical assistance in AIIMS Bhopal. I am sure the doctors there would take all necessary steps to help the child recover soon.

Though I hope the solution brings some relief but if it doesn’t, and if any other further help or support is needed, Kindly feel free to contact and discuss here.
    I am with you in all your efforts at ensuring Rupa and many other such women, justice and a life of Dignity
    Wishing her peace and my full support
    Take care

16. Naveen Bhardwaj

Ruhless peoples. Unfortunately perpetrators will raom around freely after some days

17. GirlCounts Modi

No human, no matter how powerful they are get to play God to another human. Controlling information in a “knowledge world” is one of the tools used to play God so that the survivor gets no to minimal help and support. Why?

Thanks for having the courage to stand up and share. If the world is our oyster, you jut sowed the seeds for making a pearl, its beautiful!

By Prerana

By PRIA (Participatory Research in Asia) India