This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Preity Zinta’s Complaint Against Ness Wadia And The Mockery Of Abuse

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

It was the semi-final match between Punjab and Chennai in the Indian Premier League when Ness Wadia allegedly abused and harassed Bollywood starlet Preity Zinta. Ness Wadia is the co-owner of Kings XI Punjab who was also reportedly involved with Zinta for a long period of 5 years before they fell out. The complaint has brought to light an oft ignored dimension in the lives of the celebrities: their objectification and the constant glare on them even in dire situations.

14-Ness-Wadia-Preity-Zinta

The complaint says she was molested by Wadia inside the Wankhede stadium as he tried to pull her hand and tried to abuse her. Preity Zinta has also claimed that after their breakup, Wadia harassed her often. The FIR has been registered against Wadia under multiple sections of IPC 354, 504, 506 and 509.

Meanwhile, Ness has denied the accusations completely as he said he was “shocked” and “dismayed”. He claims that “The allegations are totally false and baseless” and he referred to his shock by saying, “It is disgusting that she stoop to this level.”

The FIR has been registered and the police has begun examining the case to unearth facts and finally deliver the justice. However, the world doesn’t wait to judge and stereotype, especially when it comes to celebrities and well-known figures. The report of sexual violence, which is a heinous incident has already been classified on the Internet where some say it is a “publicity stunt” by the actress to save her “drowning career”.

On the other hand, the comments are flowing on Twitter which are not only derogatory to her right to seek protection as a woman but to other stars as well. While one Twitter user compared Preity’s actions to “Rakhi Sawant’s drama” implying that their actions are prompted out of the desire to stir a controversy, another Twitter user named Preity as the culprit for “doing bad movies” that annoyed Ness Wadia and he had to take “matters in his hand”.

Celebrities are placed on a pedestal too early and adulation along with fan worship follows but a report like this comes and society is out to pass their judgements on the character and intentions of those involved. Shiney Ahuja was judged in the public about the allegations of rape on his maid and it was the same with Rhea Chakraborty who made her debut in “Mere Dad Ki Maruti”; she was harassed in the lift of her own building which was guarded by two watchmen and there were enough people who termed it as a ‘popularity stunt’.

If it wasn’t enough to trivialize the issue of sexual violence, an account impersonating Ravindra Jadeja who is an all rounder of the Indian Cricket Team joined in with its tweets and attempted humour at the cost of the complaint. The tweets preach people to take a cue from this and “not mix business with love” and another one calls upon the match day and says that “Preity Zinta has given Ness the best B’day gift ever.” These tweets are embedded below:

Preity Zinta took to Facebook to vent out her frustration at the controversy that her complaint has generated and has asked people to give her privacy and support through the tough times. Here is her post on Facebook:

Sexual violence is a grave concern which manifests into many forms in the lives of women, be it rapes, harassment, verbal abuse, groping, indecent comments or gestures etc. Those in the pop culture industry are viewed as objects by society at large and their actions to fight back such incidents are reduced to ‘attempts at gaining popularity’.

It is to be noted that the charges haven’t been proved yet and the whole controversy may take a sharp U-turn from here but that’s for the police and authorities to uncover. Taking the matter in our hands and passing judgements on the victims of abuse is not a sign of a sensitive and supportive society.

Meanwhile, as per a tweet by Zoom, Ness Wadia has reportedly said that, “Preity Zinta is jealous of my new girlfriend”: 

UPDATE (17/6/2014): As per a report by NDTV, her lawyer has clarified that the complaint is not of sexual abuse or molestation. “We have not mentioned sexual molestation or even the word ‘molestation’ in the FIR,” her lawyer Hitesh Jain told NDTV.

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter at @mayank1029

1. Gaurav

– there is no point in judging Ness Wadia or Preity Zinta at this point.

– I have to admit we all have the urge to gossip and pass judgement … . but we should let the truth unfold and not jump to any conclusion

– every human being wants that nobody should interfere in my life and yet all of us continue to interfere in other people’s lives. the golden rule is that we should not interfere in someone else’s personal life.

every relationship has its good and bad things. both Ness and Preity have been in a relationship for 5 years. every relationship has its baggage and no matter how much we try to take sides, we should avoid taking sides.

2. mahigala7

@Mayank: The twitter account you mentioned above is not a verified account of Ravindra Jadeja. It is only meant to mock people who are involved in controversial affairs and it has even mocked and trolled Jadeja himself in the recently concluded IPL. So, we should not take his tweets ‘seriously’.

@Gaurav: To sum up your four points, we should not judge, should not jump to conclusion, stay out of their personal life and not take any side. So, please care to enlighten us, what should we do at this stage? Do u want us to turn a blind eye? I beg to differ from your point of view.
    This is indeed, a time to choose sides and I choose Preity Zinta. I stand for her who has suffered a lot in the past and is brave enough to come out in public to teach a lesson to her former bf. I cannot believe she is an attention seeker and she would
    ‘stoop’ to such level for cheap publicity. We have enough KRKs and Poonam Pandeys for that kind of a stunt. I hope justice will be served asap and culprit will be punished severely.

1. Mayank Jain

Hello, thank you for your comment and pointing out the error.
      The caution that it is a fake account was deleted inadvertently. It has been corrected now. Thanks a lot.

2. mahigala7

You’re Welcome

3. Surabhi Singh

Dear Mayank,

Thankx for writing a timely and much needed opinion on this bleak side of a disastrous and detrimental mental state of our nation. I am a journalist and often come across news reports about these heinous incidents, a tad too many. Once a TV channel showed a clip about a woman who had filed a report after being raped. The TV clip showed her as she was talking on mobile and then texting something on a touch screen. One of my male colleagues immediately commented “Are uski harkat dekho.. kahin se lag raha hai ki uska rape hua hai?” U Know, simply the fact that she was not sitting in a corner huddling in shame, covering her face, and trying to return to normalcy- made the woman an unlikely victim- thus underserving for any sympathy..

It makes me sick to think these very people are also fathers, brothers, husbands and uncles of several girls,who are all likely victims in future. I mean, where does it stop? A platform like Youth ki Awaaz gives people like me great strength simply by knowing that there are others who think on similar lines as me. Keep up the good work.

Thanx & Regards

1. Monistaf

@Surabhi – The actress claimed that her hand was held and she was “molested” and then her lawyer withdraws the claim of molestation, probably because there is no proof that it happened. Unfortunately, it has become too easy for women to just claim that they were wronged to unleash an outpouring of public sympathy in their favor. Please do not tell me that it never happens. While there could be some legitimacy to her claims or being wronged, the circumstances in which it happened and her subsequent actions of going to LA with no set return date does compromise the integrity of her claims. Just see http://news.oneindia.in/india/bollywood-actress-preity-zinta-ness-wadia-fight-molestation-real-reasons-revealed-1466964.html. There is a possibility that he was wronged too, but of course there is no discussion about that because it is acceptable and as a man, he should just learn to deal with it.

4. Gaurav

there is an update : Preity’s lawyer has confirmed that this is not a case of molestation. so all those who were asking for ness wadia’s scalp can cool their heels off.

More from Mayank Jain

By Tuba Afreen

By Rishnav Thadani

By Mallika Grover