This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Tanaya Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

10 Photos That Tell You What It Means To Be A Child Labourer In India

More from Tanaya Singh

You see them everywhere- children doing things that were never meant for them. Children cleaning streets, sweeping railway stations, working in factories, toiling at construction sites; children working as servants, begging, serving at hotels, washing clothes, selling tea. This list is endless and it is extremely brutal. But even more shocking is our apathy towards these kids and the fact that we have learned to ignore, turn around and forget them without a single emotion or thought.

With rampant employment of children as labour around us, we have learned to cover ourselves with this numb indifference which won’t help them in any way. What happens when we make a conscious effort to look at them and try to find out ways to change their situation? With just one honest effort to focus, we find them everywhere, and a simple look into the innocent eyes of these children can make us do a lot more than turning away.

As an agent of change, CRY-Child Rights and You, ensures that the fundamental rights of underprivileged children in India are protected and honoured. As a part of its ongoing campaign “Click Rights”, CRY has used the power of photography to bring those innocent lives in front of you. Now is the time to look at this harsh reality of our society, to not avoid the truth and to take action.

Photo Credit: Abhirup
Photo Credit: Alok Surya
Photo Credit: Atreyee Kar
Photo Credit: Hema Narayan
Photo Credit: Irfan Baig
Photo Credit: Sakshi Jain
Photo Credit: Sayeeda
Photo Credit: Soudip
Photo Credit: Ujjawal
Photo Credit: Ujjawal

The founder of CRY, Late Rippan Kapur once said, “What I can do, I must do.” It’s your time now. Pledge your support to stop child labour here.

1. Leena

Grt work !

2. Abhinav upadhyay

I really appreciate your idea
    hatsoff for your work

3. Insha

I really appreciate the efforts here…But please consider my point once. If a child belongs to an extremely poor family, maybe even an orphan, then who is supposed to take care of the child and make their wishes come true ? Here in a country where 60% of rural India lives on per capita income of Rs. 35 per day, how do we expect the parents or the children to focus on studies when the hunger and need drives them crazy ?
    There is a lot of challenges, especially when one studies the rural structure of India… You need to change people at the social status, it’s LONG way to go !!!

1. Chavan Bhasker

that’s why we need to start right now……..long way to go

4. deepali

i realy inspired nd loved your tho
    ught process

5. Ra’s al Ghul

The League of Shadows has found that many child labourers in factories and bike shops, having worked for over a couple of years, are paid Rs. 20 – Rs. 25 per week. When we talked to them, the reply was “kaam seekh rahe hain.” Obviously, it does not take years to learn something such as repairing bikes or fixing locks.

1. Ra’s al Ghul

The kids themselves don’t believe that they are still learning how to do the job after a number of years, but that is what they are fed by their employers. P.S. The above comment was not intended to be written in bold.

2. Chavan Bhasker

Some could say…..but infact there’s no logic behind child laboures to say that they are learning, even at 12-14yr age could you expect to learn what you intend to do 10-14yr late.
      That age is not to learn about livlihood…..but to play in grounds, to bunk from school n all that stuff they can’t do

6. Chavan Bhasker

their effort is appreciable….
    That age is to play in grounds, to bunk from school n all that stuff they can’t do

7. Abraham Santhanam

Good photography work is depicted on child labour that is prevailing in front of us still in India. It is sham on us not reacting most of the time even after seeing the child is under difficulty and unable to enjoy the rights of the childhood. So many studies and survey works have been submitted to the government by the Indian NGOs but absolutely no stringent actions or the proper implementation of the child labour related Acts by the state and Central government so far. It is only the civil societies or NGOs in India should keep on insisting the present government to take appropriate steps to eliminate of child labour in India. Such actions what needed for the social transformation at the moment which would be feasible only by the countless and priceless services offered by the NGOs in India and which should backed by the present government. But, rather the central government itself is trying to get disinterested towards the NGOs services thats needed for ever for a social change. One must remember that social service is an endless service required for any society irrespective of caste, creed and class, developed or underdeveloped countries in the world.

8. SAUMYA SRIVASTAVA

Its a great effort. But i would say that i have communicated with many children begging on the streets..and when i asked why they do not go to schools they could not reply and simply said “my parents do not send me due to lack of money”.
    I would suggest indian government as well as other ngos working for children ,please try to open free schools having good facilites in every locality,so that these childen could be educated easily.

9. Milind Sharma

I am very sorry, but one thing I have been seeing and noticing since childhood is the fact that a lot of people do put the problems before us, but no one comes up with concrete solutions as to what needs tot only to curb but to erradicate this evil of child labour.
    Of course the country doesn’t lack the intellectuals and thinking minds who could set the tone for a flourishing India with a healthy society, but nothing in terms of results is being shown up.
    As a kid, I remember the volunteers of various
    NGOs used to come to school to aware us and put the facts before us relating to child labour, but all departed after collecting loud applauses.
    When I meet such kids, as a responsible citizen I do dicourage them to work as labour, and motivate them to catch up with the education. But soon I realise they too have various problems and legitimate issues.
    Some are not even able to get proper food twice a day, while some are forced by their parents to do the work for want of money the scarcity of which doesn’t help providing their numerous chidren with even the basic amenities of life.
    On the other hand, there are some who are not well aware of the horizons of success education can provide them with, and as a result end up avoiding education for indulging themselves in earning from quite young ages.
    But the basic problems which evidentely appear before us are:
    • Lack of awareness related to education and its long term effects.
    • Poverty.
    Till these problems are not erradicated it is not possibble to curb child labour.
    Therefore, not only should we expect the Government to draw and implement policies accordingly, but also should we try and make some plans through which we may do something for these children who are going to be India’s future, at our individual levels.
    Also, one thing which nobody ever pays attention to is the ‘childhood’.
    If you ask me what have been my life’s most beautiful days, I would promptly answer ‘my childhood days’.
    Why to let the childhood suffer and that innocent smile go off due to this evil ‘child labour’.
    If we really think we love this country, we need to love the poor of this country and establish a ‘connect’ with them and their problems.
    Ultimately the country is ours and the people are ours. Let’s rise above our individual petty issues and try to do something meaningful for the society; for the country; for India.

10. apoorva

great work guys…liked it

More from Tanaya Singh

By Wasiq Agha

By Suranya

By Meharmeet Kaur Thandi