This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shelly Mahajan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear PM Modi @PMOIndia: Promise ‘Achche Din’ For Women In Your Independence Day Speech

More from Shelly Mahajan

By Shelly Mahajan:

Dear Mr. Modi,

Each morning when I leave for college, I feel scared of being stalked, sexually assaulted, burned from an acid attack or getting murdered. I am a 23 year old girl living in India and am deeply worried. I am worried about my safety, the safety of my sisters, my mother, my grandmother, my female friends and the fellow women of this country.

Violence against women

With increasing crimes against women in my country, I struggle to live my life with freedom. Not a day passes by without having to restrict my actions, only because I am a woman and I dread for my safety. It’s almost unthinkable for me to travel at night all by myself. Renting accommodation in certain neighborhoods is impossible for a lot of my female friends considering the point of safety. Even using public toilets, subways or lifts at times turn out to be an unpleasant experience. Our day-to-day experiences force us to believe that being a woman is a crime and we cannot get away with it easily.

According to statistics from National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), a woman gets raped every twenty minutes in our country. Reports indicate that India is a source, destination and transit country for widespread trafficking of women and children. Almost half of India’s billion population defecate in the open and using fields for toilets have made women of this country vulnerable to sexual assaults. In states of Punjab and Haryana, the lopsided gender ratio has led to a ‘marriage squeeze’, forcing women to leave their homes to marry men in faraway regions. Every year, a considerate number of MPs elected to the Parliament have committed crimes against women.

It gives me jitters to recount the recent incident of two young girls found hanging from a tree after being raped in Badaun in Uttar Pradesh. I am appalled to read that a few days ago a six year old girl was raped by staff members of her school in Bangalore. Across the country, the concern for women’s safety is looming large.

In times like these, seeing our elected representatives making insensitive remarks against victims of sexual assault reaffirms the fear that India is no place for women.

In the light of mounting crimes against women, I request you, Mr. Narendra Modi, to take up the issue of women’s safety in your Independence Day speech and assure the women of this country of their rights, freedom and dignity.

Tweet to PM Modi Sign the Change.org petition

1. Prashant Kaushik

Nice article. I am sure there would be something substantial in his speech as well as in his governance to ensure better status and safety for women. He promised the same after his victory in General Elections, even before assuming the office of PM.
    But also, don;t expect miracles overnight. The disease runs deep and spreads wide like an epidemic. What can be noticed at short term, are only ‘Cosmetic efforts’ and they don’t mean anything. Long term efforts would take time to be noticed.

2. Monistaf

Ms Shelly – This is yet another article that is focussed on crimes / injustices against women. It appears that this web-site is clearly gender biassed. The 2012 report in the National Crime Records Bureau, the source you point out in your article, shows that there were a total of 23,87,118 violations of the IPC, of which, crimes against women were 2,44,270 which is a little more than 10% of the total. So, the vast majority of the crimes are committed against men. Yet, no one seems to care, probably due to the prevailing feminists view that men are less worthy of our collective sympathy and compassion, they are disposable members of society, and it is generally accepted that they should just learn to deal with it, because they are men!! Don’t you think it is time to look at crime in India without looking through the prism of gender identity? Why is it so hard to campaign against ALL crime, without regard for gender?

3. Ataturk

There are virtually no rapes happening in the Arab because of the strictest punishments rapists get there. Rapists are tied to a post and stoned to death by a public. A few executions like this in India will instill the fear in any person when he thinks about rape . Minister or his son.

4. shweta

Its not just these big issues….even in small, everyday domestic issues it women r sinned against. Be it availability of jobs, maternity leave, promotions women r treated secondary. N sometimes by women superiors. What ant these seemingly less serious but quantitatively more injustices

More from Shelly Mahajan

By nishant anand