This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anshul Tewari. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Does The Gang-Rape Of The 6-Year-Old In Bangalore Say About The Society We Live In?

By Anshul Tewari:

A 6-year-old special needs child was gang-raped in Bangalore by a gym instructor and a security guard. The school tried to cover up the matter and did not inform the news to the parents of the child. After much hue and cry by the parents, and organizing protests, the principal said this was not a forum to express grievances. “We will provide an e-mail ID.”

In another news, a BSP leader’s son abducted a 22 year old woman and raped her in a moving car. In her police complaint, the woman said she was sitting with a male friend in his car in front of her apartment complex when the four men attacked them. The men drove the woman and her friend around the city in the car. One of the men sexually assaulted her, silencing her friend at knife-point.

culture-1

How does a society breed such violence?

When I was a teenager, I was never sure about how to address the problem of rapes in India. As I grew older and studied the problem more deeply, I understood that rape is more than just a personal problem. It is a political problem. And more than that, rape is perpetrated through a culture that stems from patriarchy, power and the lack of understanding of what consent means.

Whenever I have been a part of peer discussions about the subject, there have been constant dialogues around how “all men don’t rape” and how “all men do not disrespect women” and saying that men are the problem creates a bigger divide in the solution that can be achieved while talking about gender based violence. Yes! All men do not rape, and all men do not disrespect women, but if you look at the statistics, a massive chunk of rapes all around the world are perpetrated by men on women. The difficult part about understanding this for men is that most of their opinions come from the perspective of a privileged individual for whom rape is not a pressing problem. For a man walking down the road alone at night, getting raped is probably the last of the worries he would have. For a woman in the same situation, rape is the first.

From the moment a child is born till the time he/she/they become adults, there is a clear demarcation that we as a society create – that men and women are different. That men are stronger, and women weaker – physically and psychologically – hence creating the burden to behave in a certain way, on both men and women. We do not lay focus on personal and political freedom, rather, we lay a lot of focus on how to abide by preset notions, and not question the status-quo.

Inequality stems in when young girls and boys are made to believe that they are not the same. It furthers when society demarcates the kind of freedom a man enjoys as opposed to what a woman enjoys. It further builds a sense of fear in women that they are the “weaker” sex.

This sense of ruthless power grows on to become one of the biggest reasons why many men believe that sex is their birthright, and they can use it as a tool to subjugate the “weaker” sex. What furthers this problem is the taboo we attach to sex, and the lack of conversations we have around it. When we refuse to provide adequate sex education to our kids at school, when parents refuse to inform a child that a person’s gender should not be the differentiating factor between people, when we as a society refuse to accept equality from the perspective of our privilege, we ensure that our children grow up in an environment where violence is easily acceptable.

Rape is a form of violence. To make it worse, it is a form of violence that represents the culture we hold close to our hearts. It represents an idea that inequality and differentiation is the way we wish for our society to grow, and that sex is and will always be used to assert dominance.

Coming back to the case of the 6-year-old child in Bangalore – and the thousands of others which happen daily in the remotest and the most urban places in the country – we see an oppressor and an oppressed, we see the lack of respect that has bred in the oppressor, and the shame that we will attach to the oppressed, and how our sympathy will ensure that the taboo remains with her for the rest of her life. It also showcases how respecting one’s personal space, deserving consent and demanding freedom without fear are all ideas which will either take decades to get accepted, or will only worsen as we grow as a society.

The next time when you crack a rape joke, the next time when you force someone to be a man or behave like a woman, the next time you detest someone’s sexuality because this is not how things are meant to be – think about the society you are creating, and think about your privilege. Think about how we have normalized violence, how our Indian culture has forced us into believing that a woman’s place is in the feet of her husband, and how subjugation is always, consciously or unconsciously, our first way to assert power.

This is the society we have created, and this is the nation we are proud of.

To know more about what I think, follow me on Twitter at @anshul_tewari.

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at dial1098@childlineindia.org.in. You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.

1. Bhavita

Very-well written. And I love this para u wrote:
    “Whenever I have been a part of peer discussions about the subject, there have been constant dialogues around how “all men don’t rape” and how “all men do not disrespect women” and saying that men are the problem creates a bigger divide in the solution that can be achieved while talking about gender based violence. Yes! All men do not rape, and all men do not disrespect women, but if you look at the statistics, a massive chunk of rapes all around the world are perpetrated by men on women. The difficult part about understanding this for men is that most of their opinions come from the perspective of a privileged individual for whom rape is not a pressing problem. For a man walking down the road alone at night, getting raped is probably the last of the worries he would have. For a woman in the same situation, rape is the first.”
    It’s rare but it’s great to have men write with objectivity and sensitivity when it comes to violence against women. Hoping your article reaches out to many more. There’s a collective conditioning so stark and obvious which needs to be chipped away however difficult that is…hope your article can be looked at objectively by others too.

1. Monistaf

Quote “For a man walking down the road alone at night, getting raped is probably the last of the worries he would have. For a woman in the same situation, rape is the first”.

Please see “http://ncrb.gov.in/” which is the official National Crime Records Bureau. For 2012, which is the latest year the records are available for, of the 23,87,188 violations of the IPC, crimes against women were 2,44,270, which means that a man walking down the street, is almost 10 times more likely to be a victim of crime. Men may not worry about rape, but there is murder, kidnapping, extortion and plenty of other violent crimes to worry about.

I am not saying that crimes against women is not a serious issue, but I am trying to highlight that just because you choose not to highlight crimes against men, does not mean it does not exist or is irrelevant, because, guess what, men are human beings too, they too have feelings and they too get hurt.

2. aishwary

dear monistaf,
      …………….he clearly wrote that… of all d wories rape is d last 1 for men….and d first 1 for women……….not indicating that men need not to worry….

3. Monistaf

Aishwary

If men also need to worry, in fact, 10 times more than a woman walking the street, then wouldn’t it be fair to see a more balanced article on crime as a whole. The point is, there are plenty of articles on this forum talking about violence against women, but very few that mention the increasing crime rate in India against both genders that need to be addressed. The morbid fixation on violence against women on this site, including this article, makes you feel that somehow, violence against men is more acceptable, less of a problem and not worthy of attention. That is the issue I am trying to highlight.

2. Bangalore Political Action Committee

Brilliant Article YKA team!!!
    Bangalore Political Action Committee is also striving hard to ensure that the women and children are safe in Bangalore by mobilising public opinions condemning such crimes as well as submitting memorandums to the CM, HM and all the authorities if GoK. Looks like it has been falling on deaf ears. Yesterday we did a press conference which was attended by Dr. Kiran Bedi where she spoke about the importance of the role 6Ps in controlling and preventing the injustice faced by women-People, Politicians, Prosecution, Press, Police, Prisons. We have demanded to have a special session called in the assembly and have also give an ultimatum to the Government. We are waiting for their reply. Meanwhile please sign this petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/shri-k-siddaramaiah-we-demand-a-safer-bangalore-for-women-and-children?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=new_petition_recruit
    We need more people to join us in our initiatives.

Thankyou once again.

3. Veda Nadendla

This was a brilliantly written article on an unfortunate subject which has been the focus of all our attention. What I don’t seem to understand is how can we change this? Change the law? Ccapital punishment? Round the clock protection for all the women in the country (eutopian hope, i know), awareness camps? Do we distribute tazers to all girls tarting from the age of 1?
    This. Is getting too silly to reason with. Rape seems to find ways of finding more and more women, young old infant child. It’s horrific. But where is the solution? It’s depressing.

1. H

There are a lot of steps that need to be taken to reduce the amount of rapes that happen: the police force should have workshops where they are taught not to blame the victims that they deal with because that happens quite frequently, awareness about child sexual abuse by parents and teachers, sex education and education about what consent is and respecting people/women in schools, greater safety for women in general. I think all these solutions could make a huge difference but in general as the author said we need to have more conversations and stop perpetuating rape culture. Hopefully this will all get better, I agree it is very depressing.

4. Rishi

Hi Anshul,

Excellent piece. I and for that matter anyone who has a conscience, will agree with you. I just want to add something. I think, we have a tendency of over-simplifying things. We like to pick up that one reason which caused that one incident – roaming with a guy, short dresses, inappropriate conduct – we like to pick on these things. People should understand, that had any of these been proved as what causes rapes, we would not have rapes anymore.

It also is something much more beyond how open our society is really, how much sex we talk with our parents. Remember, women are getting raped at this very moment in the USA, UK, Norway… Why?

This does not mean that i am defending our society. We need to change, and broaden our minds, treat boys and girls equally – even if that does not stop rape. Please note, that men raping is a universal disease, and pretty much like AIDS, there does not seem to be any cure.. IN any case, we must adopt the measures you suggested and more

5. Aman

First of all Rape is a universal crime and a rapist is found almost every part of the society irrespective of the culture thought process or mind set of people…it occurs in developed countries as well as under developed countries….Women are inferior to men is not just preached in Indian culture society or Religion…it is again a universal phenomina preached by Many of the Major religions in this world…..And the diffrence between men and women is inherent is preached accordingly amongst the people following them…Example pardah system in muslims…etc

The high or low rate of this rape crime is morever depended on various conditions other then the mindset….this includes socio economic conditions….male female sex ratios…education status ..Unemployment ( as khali dimag shaitan ka ghar hota hain)…faliure of law machienery to kill other important objects that add fuel to it like drugs alcohol abuse…etc as most of the rapist do the act under the influence of the same…..the failure of law enforcement authorities to create better mechanism to deal with rape or crime against women …as the women feels more insulted in a court or investigation then by the fact that she is raped

Irrespective of whether a persons mindset is created based on phenomena of women are inferior to men ….all the above factors are very much responsible…as other wise even in India if you monitor the Rape statistic there is huge variation found between rape stats amongst states..if Indian culture was a problem then it should have been uniform across all states….Why do women in gujarat feel more safer and are less porne to sexual crimes then others…while it follows the same patriarchial indian culture…This is biggest question to be asked….Closely examining the condition there reveals the facts that: in Gujarat alcohol is ban ( although sold in black but people dont often come on roads and create problems with fear of law)..Gujarat does not have any clubs pubs dance bars….Economoc status of people is still better than most others….All and all in Gujarat along with rapes all the other crime rates are also relatively low

Where as in states where rape crime is high other crimes are also high…which means problem is not just culture or mindset it is way beyound that…

Only problem I find is when rapes are tolerated by many families or victims so as to not get defamed in the society which is really bad and needs to be corrected…Other problem is when the topic from rape and women safety Is deflected to politics and blame games….like orthodox politicians or saviour of the culture say mordernisation or westernization is cause of high women crime…And instead of point by point dealing with the main cause create an atmosphere of debate and then things go hey wired…that is what needs to be checked

6. Deepika Singhania

Beautifully written. I was just reading a few comments on a post on Facebook where people from across the world are criticising Indians. I think that’s wrong and your article explains why. Its not a country, religion or community that is at fault. Its the manner in which children are brought up (and not only in India) with the idea that girls and boys are different. Boys are supposed to be the strong ones with the ability to control emotions; boys shouldn’t cry, you see? And girls are expected to behave in a ‘feminine’ manner which according to the society is being a delicate darling. There is nothing wrong with men being sensitive and there’s nothing wrong with women being agressive. It should be an individual choice as to what they want to be like.

So basically, both genders are victims of the stereotypes that have been bestowed upon us by the patriarchal society. Rape is one of the consequences of these stereotypes which have unfortunately been drilled into the mindset of our society, a little too deep. They are using sex as a tool to show you that they are the powerful ones. So it won’t matter as to what you’re wearing or which country and religion you belong to; as long as you’re a woman, rape is a possibility. That’s how nightmarish the world has become. So, the ‘blue for boys and pink for girls’ needs to stop soon or its just goingto keep getting worse.

1. Anshul Tewari

What a comment! Absolutely agree.

2. sugar singh

your comment is really praiseworthy , we as a male r taught not to cry but we do cry but in a closed room …….but sometimes this thing also gives us power that u r not supposed to cry ,u r a male n powerful , yes we do want to conquer the world n i m proud that i m a male but we r also sexually vulnerable , we r also sexually exploited mostly by our own gender but no one can believe us or people think men r strong.

7. Devadutta Bhattacharjee

Very few people seem to understand that gender actualization and discrimination is actually the root cause for rape, if not the only cause. The very notion of a parent telling their son, ‘Beta, jaldi ghar wapas aana, news me bohot rape ka khabar aa raha hai.’ sounds absurd. So it’s time to step back and realize how and why are we raising our children wrong.
    News like these are a slap on the faces of those people who say, she must have provoked those men or she was wearing inciting clothes. Explain how a 6 year old incited those men. The saddest part is how we have to wait for something like this to happen to raise our voices, when it is already too late for an innocent girl.
    Very well written, kudos.

8. Vidya Singh

Dear Anshul,

Really a thought provoking article and i totally agree with you . I agree that Rape is a political problem and has already crossed all the limits of inhumanity, but before we blame any one for this, we have to blame us for the same.we as a society has failed to impart values, we are literate but not educated, our education system is teaching us how to earn our living but not real values. and what i believe the biggest problem is ignorance.

Someone stared at us we ignored, some one abused us , we ignored, someone physically abused us , we just ignored, and finally some one raped us we ignored. if we have stopped the first attempt only we could have saved ourselves from this inhumanity.

Stop ignoring stop suffering Girls !!!!

9. KT

Brilliant words.. Well presented article.

10. Shezza

Would be nice if all these great articles were read by more older people…
    I’m not sure many people over 30 are aware of this website… The voice of the youth should be heard by the elders

1. Kumar Ranjan

If reading made all the difference then there wouldn’t be such anarchy prevailing in our society. No book or article or magazine or any kind of write up teaches anyone to rape. If we really want to make a difference then all we need to do is look into a mirror and see what character we hold and improve on it. We all have some kind of daemon inside us. Today due to so many reasons those daemons are overcoming the power of good and moral reason. We should focus on that rather than making new amendments and laws even after knowing that those are never implemented in a country like India.

11. Chavan Bhasker

Rght…..all men don’t rape, all men don’t disrespect women…
    Your article is great @Ansul

around me i…get my friends even whenever they saw any girl….said what hey hot chick…,,show her boobs,butts bla.bla!!!!!!!!
    i think even our such talking,…creates effect on beings who are still at innocence…..& when they grow up.they do same…..bla.bla!!!!!. We ourselves youth are forwarding such society …………but should that bla bla…..end at rape, disrespectfullness

. ..we first need to go for basic improvements

In actual real men don’t disrespect anyone…..

1. Chavan Bhasker

in short we are creating such platform for…..our forthcoming juniors…

isn’t sorting out culture at world level…….
      …….we really creating bad impression///….guys

12. Ashly Abraham

I agree when we think of the root of the problem of rape.. how it is a political problem.. how we all perceive it to be.. it ultimately comes down to our mindset and nothing else. In case of the brutal murder of a woman raped in UP, just two days ago in a private school. . . Just ask this question, who told them that a woman could be played with, and just be used like an object? and in the most disgusting manner ever? where did this thinking come, that men are powerful and women are weak? I too, was brought up in this kind of thinking from my family. As a girl, i was also advised not to do this, or go out alone… etc
    This thinking pattern has been passing on, too long from generations, the patriarchy mentality, …
    time has come to break the divide, start a new wave of mindset, men and women are not to be divided on conditions, that end up in Violence of any form!!

13. Chaula Trivedi

Hi there,

Yes this is exactly what are society gives out to our next generation. The problem is that we utter phrases like be a man. A man can sleep with endless number of girls. The worst taboo is shown in the movie Paani. Yes Lisa Ray and John Abraham starrer. Wherein, Lisa Ray is a young widow, who is widowed by John Abraham’s Father. His father informs John on his realization of Lisa’s fate, ” That if a girl of lower caste sleeps with a Brahmin man then her status is elevated. This is the only way she can elevate her status.” This explains everything as what cultural background we come from and which culture we are proud of.

Deeply moved by this article. Thanks for sharing.

Chaula

14. Navya

Well yesterday a women was raped in lucknow in a more brutal way than nirbhay. After inserting a lathi each in her anus and vagina the men continued to rape her.
    This in the state where the father of the chief minister said, “Rape ke liye phaansi dena ghalat hai, ladkon se ghalti ho jaati hai, hum satta mein aaye to kanoon mein badlav karenge (Handing death sentence for rape is not fair… boys make mistakes… there will be changes in the law if we come to power).”
    In the recent budget akhilesh yadav reduced the women’s security expenditure to buy land cruisers for himself.
    Meanwhile the younger yadav bahu runs an ngo for women safety. Maybe that can help. Or the women just stop coming out of their houses
    Why we cant protest against this? Oh right the accussed might just be a juvenile or in this case a yadav.

1. Aman

Something is seriously wrong here…I guess this guys are porn addicts and heavily following Brutal porn …yes if u google it there are so many website on the name of brutal porn where similar activities of inserting base ball stick pepsi cans are shown and advertised…and mostly it shown that the actoress in that enjoys or moans in pleasure asking for more…may be it may have been mixed or photoshopped…These things of extremety should be banned as they are depicting wrong and harmful sex

And these morons without using brains are doing such things on common women…Disgusting….one bamboo stick needs to be put into the anus of both father and son sp called leaders so that they could know the pain…

2. Avishek Mitra

While BDSM porn might promote a harmful and dangerous method of having sex, it does NOT promote rape. Even if the rapist rapes a woman in the most ‘gentle’ and ‘accpetable’ way (if those words can be used in the same sentence as rape), It’s still rape. She didnt give consent and hence it’s a crime. Period.

15. Chirag Shah

Its Sad that day by day these Rapes Incidents are increasing. According to me on Rape cases the guilty should be taken to Jail and courts ..they should be directly Hanged till death without wasting anyones time.

16. Kumar Ranjan

The concern the author has raised is valid but blaming the Indian Culture that it has forced us into believing that a woman’s place is in the feet of her husband is totally wrong. Try to look back into the real Indian History not the one I and you have read in our history books and not the ones which we see in movies or serials. Look out for evidences which were hidden from us by the aristocrats and bureaucrats. Our Indian culture was the most strongest and the most stable form which could have existed in any other civilization. The deterioration of our Indian culture and civilization is a very strategic. Well I can’t explain everything here but please do not blame our Indian culture and the traditional ways of Indian society.

17. Green Lantern

Sir, please let me know why this blog does not talk about issues and problems related to men as it does about issues related to women? The rape of a six year old means that we live in a society where lust is at an all time high, and women are partly responsible. Please let me know why women feel the need to reveal their bodies in public, when an average person does not do so even inside their homes in front of their spouse except at the time of copulation. Women are definitely not the weaker sex, since homemakers are very strong people. Yes, if we are going to turn them into career building machines, have children grow up with nannies or in day care centers, and force them into the notion that all arranged marriages are wrong, then we leave them with the option of a late marriage where many women today end up settling with abusive boyfriends, since they have already rejected the boy their parents found for them.

1. Abhishek

So you mean to say the 6 year old was exposing? Oh wait she was a career building woman.
      Right mr. Lantern apne to dimaag ki batti jala di.

2. Deepika Singhania

What is wrong with you? What is your problem if women reveal their bodies in public? Its their choice how they dress up. That doesn’t give you the right to rape them or even question them! If you respect a woman, which you clearly don’t know how to do,you wouldn’t think like a rapist does. And women are only home makers eh? We don’t work and earn? We should be only baby producing machines, is it? Why don’t you stay back home and take care of children instead? That should reduce the number of idiots we have roaming on the streets. It’ll reduce the disgustful lust rate too. Also, late marriage or love marriages do not lead to lead to abusive boyfriends. The boyfriend is abusive and he is the one who is wrong, so try blaming him for a change.

And we’re talking about a six year old child. Should we cover her up and send her to school or lock her indoors so that no one rapes her? Think about what you’re saying. You’re wrong in the way you think and feel.

3. Green Lantern

Deepika, please let me know what your problem will be if women cover their bodies in public? Would you like to see all men in revealing clothing with the statement “it is my choice how I dress up?” Furthermore, on what basis did you come up with the assumption that I do not respect women and even went as far as stating that I think like a rapist? Also, where did I state anything about women not earning or becoming baby producing machines? Motherhood is not something degrading, which is evident from your comment. Please think like a normal person. Many women who delay their marriages for their career end up in relationships that are abusive, something they don’t want to get out of because they are past the age of thirty, because they spent the prime age for marriage earning, to prove to themselves and other feminists that they are better than men, while many women in arranged marriages sit home happily playing with their lovely kids. Sorry I don’t have time to write down how oppressed they are. Furthermore, rapes take place in society where everyone from a six year old to a sixty year old gets raped. What leads men to commit such barbaric acts?

4. Anu

I will tell you what leads men to commit such acts. It is a completely wrong and twisted notion of superiority. And it does not always manifests itself in rape. Most of the time it shows what a man is as a human being when he says things like ‘oh but she was out at night, she was wearing short dress’ but alway indirectly implying that a women somehow deserves this heinous crime inflicted on her.
      Now addressing your ridiculous arguments, first of all when a person chooses to get married is their own opinion. If they give preference to their careers it is their own business and people like you should keep your abnormal large noses out of them. Even if a girl or a guy regrets not getting married earlier in their lives, it is their choices and they are only responsible to get their lives on track as and how they like it. Second of all, there are no excuses to rape. A woman is not a dessert that you could not stop the temptation of having her. Only one thing leads to rape and that is the intention to do it.
      What a person wears is their own prerogative. What does it matter to you if a girl wears a revealing dress is beyond my understanding. And to answer your question, that if we would like seeing a guy display his body, then I would say that I give 2 hoots to how other dress. As long as a person I comfortable and minding his own, we girls done care. We Indians urgently need to learn about what it means respecting and giving space to others. And guys like you with their arrogant opinions make me fill with shame that how can we be going so wrong in educating our citizens.

5. Helina

Men don’t wear revealing clothes? I see shameless, half naked men every where standing in balconies, terrace, roadsides and where not. I see men sleeping shirtless or changing right in front of me every time I travel in trains like keeping their shirt on for a night would kill them. It disgusts me, but all I can do is just turn away. Do u think a girl can act the same way in public? Why am I so scared to wear a pair of shorts? Why do u feel what women do with their bodies or clothes is a topic of public interest and not her own…

6. Deepika Singhania

Oh. Should I be sorry about having said that? I don’t think so! I’m normal, your thinking is abnormal. If you walk around half naked and you’re comfortable with it, why should I care? Just because half bare men and women might seem tempting, it doesn’t mean we have the right to go rape them. Also, rape is rape. A woman’s clothing has nothing to do with it. Her being a woman is apparently enough. So if you think that a woman needs to cover herself up to protect herself from rape, then you do not know how to respect a woman. “Women are definitely not the weaker sex, since homemakers are very strong people. Yes, if we are going to turn them into career building machines, have children grow up with nannies or in day care centers, and force them into the notion that all arranged marriages are wrong…” Those are your words, not mine. Career building machines? Do we call you career building machines cos’ you work and earn your living? Just because the woman gives birth to babies, its her rightful job to throw away her career and bring up the kids while you’re being a career building machine? Also, feminists are humans who want equality between men and women and nothing more. They were formed because of men who think like you. Marrying late has nothing to do with being a feminist, that statement makes no sense whatsoever. And the whole article is about why barbaric acts like rape takes place; let it answer your question.

7. Green Lantern

Helina: Please note you said “shameless” before writing “half naked men.” I will not call girls shameless who reveal their bodies in public because I am scared that I will be at the receiving end of a lot of name calling by feminists. Furthermore, what women do with their bodies and clothes becomes a topic of public interest because they do so in public. Also, you turn your face away because you see bodies that are not in shape. I also turn my face away when I see overweight aunties in revealing attire. At the same time, you would certainly stare if the men you saw baring their bodies were hunks.

Anu: Rape is about lust, not superiority.

Deepika: Rape is wrong regardless of what a person is wearing. Period. However, if we dwell into the topic, we will find that the reason why rapes exist in society is because of the way women have started dressing in public, igniting lust in men. Have you ever questioned yourself why women feel the need to reveal their bodies in public? Furthermore, education is not only to have a career, it has numerous benefits. However, women will be much safer if they stayed at home taking care of their husband and kids, as they will avoid being harassed at the workplace, avoid being objectified, and will also be able to give time to their children.

8. Abhishek

Oh my god so you turn your face away when you see girls not in shape but wearing revealing clothes. So let me guess, you must be a hrithik roshan or a brad pitt.
      What sick mentality. Thanks for letting us know that people who are overweight are supposed to cover themselves all the time.
      leacher you are man.
      Shadi huye aapki? Make sure your wife doesn’t venture out. And make sure your doesn’t go to daughter goes to school. Just make sure they are taking care of you. While your daughter sits at home waiting for a pati parmeshwar like you
      Sick!

18. Gaurav

the situation in uttar pradesh has spun out of control because the SP government has provided political backing to the rapists. this needs urgent attention.

19. vaishali

there is a lot of thing sthis society and people need 2 knw…we al talk about the equality of a man and a women..but does it prevail..though many women out thr got temselves in so called mandominant works..but r tey given d respect nd treated as equal….well many of us women hav come out of d four walls but the male dominan t society(not all) behave as though we r out coz tey can do anything wid us….thrs a lot more fr those men to learn or rather taught of wat it actually means of treating a woman wid self respect,equality…..and wt all how tey treat a fellow man.and the topic of sex education becuming jst a talk needs to b implemented…many think it wil take their childs innocence but tey dont knw tat their kids grow mature even befor they think ..so its better for the kids and the parents to know and get educated on this topic….hope it wil create new good deeds and thoughts on the tomorrows young minds.

20. Gaurav

In the next 20 years the older generation will be gone, your parents and my parents would have gone and with them would go all those connections and the little chance of sanity and order, the younger generation is not in a position to follow or enforce laws and young men and women do not know how to organize groups or resolve conflicts or seek legal counsel and redressal of outstanding disputes, that is when things will get out of hand, it has already started and all the comments below are no where close, it will soon be every human for oneself in this bad world, western culture or no , we are in for a shock soon

21. Afeef Naieem

The solution according to me is quite simple try it, control your eyes whenever you see a women dressed in short clothes or even naked avoid staring at her and simply mind your own business and also our youth should be taught how to respect women. If you closely look at this particular problem sexual domination starts from our homes where the male members of the society dominate the female member’s of the house. There is no statistical analysis but I am sure the numbers would be quite high, even look at the number of rape’s being committed with house maid’s (the true problem lies within us; we ourselves are responsible for not controlling our sexual desires and unleashing them on women in such indecent ways). In the end I would like to say this that we shape and create the world around us, the problem lies within us.

22. Haifa Zubair

“The next time when you crack a rape joke, the next time when you force someone to be a man or behave like a woman, the next time you detest someone’s sexuality because this is not how things are meant to be – think about the society you are creating, and think about your privilege. ”

If you are not questioning it, you are consalidating it !!! We all are part of the silent consents the rapist enjoy !! Cruel, but TRUE !

23. Bidisha

Fantastic article.

If only people understood.

24. Voice of reason

Nice article, well there are a number of such articles in YKA which focus on the growing numbers of rapes and atrocities against women, and there should be. I have actually commented on a lot of them and finally realized that you will always find men who will somehow try to prove that women are equally responsible for rapes. As ridiculous as it may sound, but the fact of the matter is that because of intense competition or what ever, education is really not playing the role it should. Gender equality, secularism etc are just topics in the chapters of social science books. More importantly being a society of humans which have historically been male dominated, their is hardly anyone to impart the important lessons to the young ones.
    Irrespective of your opinions the fact remains the same rapes happen because of the mentality of men ( or women in case the opposite happens), because of the rampant inequality between sexes that plagues this society, because of sex being considered a taboo in the society and many other reasons. to all my “dear” friends who think that rapes happen because of women dressing in short clothes etc, please enlighten us as to why is the number of rapes in a place like Bhopal or Rajasthan more then that in Mumbai where as clearly the females in Mumbai are much more fashionable or in your case “wear short clothes”

Please it is high time that we realize that for these crimes the society is more responsible then the individual. even for crimes against men the same hold true. unless we change our mentality, its difficult to improve the situation

25. Zafar Satyavan

A 6 year old. Violence against a defense-less human being. That is what this issue is all about. Hang the perpetrators. Period.

26. Female escorts Bangalore

You might definitely see your knowledge inside the perform you are submitting. The particular field desires more passionate internet writers such as you who aren’t worried to note that feel Female escorts Bangalore. Constantly adhere to your heart.

27. Lipi Mehta

Terrible.

More from Anshul Tewari

By Prerana

By PRIA (Participatory Research in Asia) India