This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Dhruv Arora. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“My Genitals, My Weight Or The Colour Of My Skin Do Not Define Me”

By Dhruv Arora:

I want you to imagine something. I want you to take an image of what you look like right now, and make it perfect in your head. Remove everything that you don’t like about yourself and add everything you want. I want you to picture yourself looking like everything that you want yourself to look like till the point where there is nothing left to change. Now I want you to tell me how confident you feel to walk out of your house and promise me that you will be happy.

591751096_0179d3cba9_o

Now, picture this. I want you to look down and peek inside your pants. Now I want you to picture the most perfect genitals that you can ever hope to possess. I want you to add or remove size or girth, hair or colour, or even the fragrance. Now I want you to open your eyes, look at me and promise me that possessing these godlike genitals will bring you happiness.

Now, imagine happiness. Chances are, none of what you pictured in the last two scenarios came from you or is your idea of happiness. Make the connection that having the so called “perfect body”, or “perfect gender”, whatever that is, has nothing to do with how happy or satisfied you are. Stop trying to make people think that you’re happy, and be happy.

I’m just worried about your health“, he said as he breathed in a fresh batch of smoke into his lungs, “It’s not about conforming to anyone’s idea of perfection”.

“You know, it IS your fault that you look like that” she said, as she concealed her dark circles underneath layers of cosmetics, “if you could just make a little effort you wouldn’t have to worry”.

“I don’t judge people for being gay”, they said, “but why do they have to shove it in other peoples’ faces?”

“I don’t buy into the unrealistic standards of beauty set by the media”, she said, “but damn, I’d be Ryan Gosling’s blue valentine any night!”

“You know, people don’t like fat or ugly people. I mean, it is in your hands to change that. You can’t tell people what to like”, he said, as he purchased the new skin moisturizing cream for men.

…and it never ends.

They have creams to make penises larger and vaginas brighter and tighter. They want to increase the size of the so called masculine satisfaction and decorate its apparent docking home with lights and frizzes. They want your masculinity to be defined by the inches in your pants and a woman’s feminity by the brightness in her panties; and they are trying to get you to define your birth with the shades, sizes and shapes of your genitals. They want you to be thinner and curvier, thicker and broader, they want you to increase the length of your penis and the depth of your vagina. They want you to know that you’re never ever going to be perfect so they can keep you coming back and asking for more and more and even more of some liquid drops of what they call perfection, and this cycle will NEVER stop unless you say NO.

…no, I will NOT give in to this self-deprecating circus of exaggerations and complexes. No, I will NOT have you tell me what I can or cannot become based on your flawed assumptions of what my genitals, the colour of my skin, my weight or my gender may imply, I said as I renewed my membership to the gym; because I, too, am a part of this circle, even though I may loathe it. They would like you to know that what you’re saying will have no weight if you have too much of it, that you will only be someone’s walking stick if you don’t have a stick between your legs; that you are not entitled to basic human rights if you are not copulating with someone of the opposite gender.

The beauty of all of this is that none of these people telling you the key to happiness are themselves happy; and none of the people concerned for your health are healthy. In the end, we are all conforming to the idea of non-conformity while donning the newest in fashion and technology, I write with my shiny new laptop. A few more drops of liquid perfection, but of that specific brand, for reasons, and you could be one step closer to giving up your life completely and “perfectly”.

I should renew my gym subscription.

1. Saloni

amazing!

2. Rishi

I am amazed at the proliferation of articles concerning genitals, and orgasms and a girl’s bra hanging out and stuff like that. Aren’t you bored of this? Get a break. I am not saying that what you said was wrong. But you know you are being something as sad as India TV, if you decide to write just about these things just because there is a wannabe generation of fbookers out there, who would like your articles without ever taking any radical decision ever in life.

If you can write, try to be a little less revolutionary and talk about other issues as well. Please do not waste this platform on this.

1. gautam govinda

^ you da hero mate. You say what i say. Youth ki awaz!!
      more like muut ki awaz

3. Just Another Youth

Why does your website always tries to be cool and revolutionary by just coming out with articles that have a sex overtone? I know your website’s name is ‘Youth Ki Awaaz’ but then not every youth wants to reads these types of articles. There are so many issues that a youth wants to talk about – poverty, hunger, unemployment. Write a lot on them. Oh no – You want to write on Bras and Genitals because that’s how you can grab eyeballs! Not anymore

1. Dhruv

The fact that you feel this article is about sex is exactly the reason I continue writing this way.

2. Mahitha

Appreciate the candid reply, Dhruv!

4. Ravi

article not at all different frm other ones….riding on the same leak dat of bra straps and genitals…

5. debatri

I think the article is great. 🙂
    Kind of reassuring.
    And hey,one thing at a time. It takes a lot to think your thoughts through and write them down in a coherent manner. It doesn’t need to be ‘attention grabbing’ just because it’s sexual. Also,so what if it grabs attention? That’s precisely what its supposed to do!
    Anyway,love the constant vacillating self you’ve portrayed. Very relatable. 🙂

6. Abhi

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Its an Irony!!!! I couldn’t stop laughing at your remarks @ Just another Youth and @ Rishi….
    I mean, out of the following pages/articles of YKA, you morons decided to raise you voices by accusing YKA of sexualism… Have a look at these pages if you would, where they talk about other subjects too…

http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/category/politics/
    http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/category/environment/
    http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/category/education-careers/education/
    http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/category/art-and-culture/
    http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/category/world/

You talk about poverty/hunger/unemployment etc and even shun someone if they publish an article pertaining to sexuality but deep down, you yourself are, so much fascinated by sexuality, such that you read the whole article just because the article had the word “Genital” in the heading… And then you dare to post the otherwise comment too… I pity your Pseudo-Intelligence!! Its Ironic too!!!

1. Abhi

Moreover, I searched other threads too, and i coudnt find your post anywhere….
      Is it Just that you guys decide to show up only on sexual topics???

7. gautam govinda

only read because of the word genital in the title. Lol..jk..too long didn’t read

8. Maneka

This article was too long and boring. Didn’t finish this…

I kind of agree with comments below…

9. Saaniya

This is a the most beautiful rant I have ever read. People can’t handle terms like ‘genitals’ and ‘bra straps’ because HAW it’s against our culture to talk about such things (except ofcourse, if it’s the Kamasutra talking about orgies). I assume it brings out unwanted sexual desires in otherwise ‘innocent’ non sexual beings. It upsets me that a lot of morons on the internet are confusing gender equality for ‘all women should wear less clothes and go against Indian culture and morals’. Women should be able to do as they please. Freedom is not a well understood concept in India. Back to your article: Love how you point out the hypocrisy of people, and even your own at the end. So well written, Dhruv! Pay no attention to the idiots writing shit. A wise man once said, ‘Haters gon hate.’ x

10. Navya

Because we Indians are obsessed with sex. Though we don’t like to talk about it we use such subtle hints that would make sex distasteful. You see it sells. Just look at the number of people who would have read the article because it mentions “genitals” and then we have the new cobra deo ad. I am appalled by the blatant sexual overtone in the ad. There is no more selling the product on its merit but sex would sell it. From furniture to comdoms a seductive woman can sure sell it Sometimes, a hand is enough. No need to include a face where a hand does the….job,
    Feminism or not, this is just uncalled for.

11. Neha Jha

Dhruv,
    I make it a point not to miss any of your articles. You write about taboo topics in a way nobody else does. And, that’s so rare! From the kind of comments I’m reading here from ‘youths’ who are embarrassed of ‘bra straps, genitals, puberty’ and the like, I really believe that maybe, what my mom and my teacher said is right – the Gen Y isn’t so broad-minded as we think. They also have the same prejudices, stereotypes, casteism, sexism and ‘please-don’t-talk-about-sex’ attitude. I won’t be surprised if tomorrow many from our generation will continue the ‘legacy’ of female foeticide, gender bias and ‘no-sex-talk’.

Keep writing irrespective of what the so-called ‘izzat-wale log’ say. People like you are rare.

1. Ra’s al Ghul

From the kind of comments I’m reading here from ‘youths’ who are embarrassed of ‘bra straps, genitals, puberty’ and the like…

Neha, people are not embarrassed, they feel shy to talk about bra straps, genitals, puberty, etc. because these are personal matters. Does a family gather together and talk about issues related to the aforementioned things as they do about food, education, travel, etc?

I won’t be surprised if tomorrow many from our generation will continue the ‘legacy’ of female foeticide, gender bias and ‘no-sex-talk’

Female foeticide is a heinous crime and sin, and gender bias is plain wrong. On the other hand, no-sex-talk is something normal, as sex talk should only be reserved for one’s spouse. Furthermore, don’t write no-sex-talk with the same venom with which you write female foeticide as they are poles apart.

Keep writing irrespective of what the so-called ‘izzat-wale log’ say.

Izzat wale log are those who are well cultured, something the new generation does not know. They think being shameless and writing words like ‘penis’ and ‘vagina’ on public platforms, and showing their body parts to every Tom, Dick and Harry is being izzatdar.

More from Dhruv Arora

By Payoja Bhakre

By Sakshi Tyagi

By Harish Prajapat