This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mihika Jindal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Ongoing Genocide In Burma That The World Has Chosen To Ignore

More from Mihika Jindal

By Mihika Jindal:

It aches my heart to read about the ongoing brutality and a nightmare that has lasted 2 complete years. What are the odds that the victims of this huge massacre in Burma will find solace in the near future, especially when the state government seems to have chosen to side with the oppressors? The continued saga makes me believe the chances are nil.

rohingya muslims

Burma is predominantly a Buddhist state with an Ethnic Muslim Minority Group — Rohingya — residing in Rakhine State in Western Burma, bordering with Bangladesh. Burma, since 2012, has showcased high levels of intolerance towards Rohingyas, making it exceedingly difficult and almost impossible for them to co-exist. What started as a massacre in 2012 continues till date with situation only worsening by the day! Dangerous sequence of events has led to the displacement of around 200,000 Rohingyas, most of who are living in pitiable conditions as refugees in rescue camps set up in border areas with Bangladesh.

The story that is being narrated in Burma is shocking and nerve stirring beyond words. There are over 1 million Rohingyas who have been residing in Burma since age-old times and despite their ancient and continuous existence, they are being denied the citizenship of Burma in light of the Citizenship Law of 1982. Burma, in its wake of turning into a democracy after all these years of existence, is not doing any justice to the word and concept of Democracy. As reported in The Washington Post, Thein Sein, the Burmese President, clearly denies Rohingya their status as an Ethnic Group and calls them ‘Bengalis’ instead. Such a tagging openly reeks of discriminatory undertone clearly implying illegal immigration from Bangladesh, which in the present case contributes to the unrest in the nation and victimisation of Rohingyas.

The horrid events that are being witnessed since 2012 have been gruesome and mighty shameful for the Burmese Government. A UN report confirmed that horrific murders and slaughters have taken place, in light of which it directed the Burmese Government to set up an independent investigation agency to look into the matter and take immediate measures to stop these acts of violence against the minorities in Rakhine state. What reportedly happened next left me, as a reader and as a human being, in a state of dismay and hopelessness. The Burmese Government looked down upon the direction of the UN and refused to carry out an independent investigation. Further, to cover up for the act, they conducted a shoddy investigation by private persons which presented a false report that did not speak of any massacre and the guilty along with the perpetrators walked away scot-free.

The government is clearly veiling the heinous acts that are taking place in Rakhine state where culprits of numerous murders, slaughters, rapes, tortures et all are going unpunished and Muslims are finding themselves stuck in the vicious circle becoming victims of a humanitarian crisis.

The story doesn’t end here. Like inflicting crime was not enough, the Burmese government also withdrew the services of MSF (Medicins Sans Frontieres) — a sole medical group catering to 750,000 people of Rakhine, majority of who are Rohingyas. Since the time MSF has been expelled (February, 2014), the deaths and number of patients in the affected region has increased manifold, creating miserable conditions for the people there to live, forget live peacefully!

Rohingyas have fled to Thailand, Malaysia and Bangladesh. Refugees have become victims of sexual assaults and violence, human bodies are being bought and sold, they are being used for drug dealing and peddling, and the list is never ending. The story of massacres and killing in name of race and religion is a common concept across globe, but the story of Rohingyas is different for they are being trampled over with no hope whatsoever. For about 2 years, they have been facing atrocities at the hands of Buddhist native groups where the government is an accomplice. The riots and killing that are happening in Burma in the name of ethnic cleansing are nothing but a glaring example of genocide. It is probably time for the international community to take serious action to save lives of fellow humans. Take an action like we mean it and possibly hope for some respite.

1. naval

In someways its just a retaliation of locals .. its going on everywhere ….. burma(mayanmar) is nothing special ..

2. naval

Similar to kashmiri pandits …

3. Sonal Jamuar

It indeed is deeply saddening and perturbing.In a Nation which is Buddhist dominated how can act of violence be tolerated !

1. Mousumi Mukherjee

Sonal, that’s the irony of this situation. But if you would look beyond just religion and look at the issue through the lens of social and political ideology, then probably rationalizing such barbaric acts would make some sense (however, unfortunate that sense might be). When religion (Buddhist, Christian, Islam, Hindu etc.) becomes Cultural Nationalism, this is what happens to ethnic minority and refugees in most countries. The ideology of the cultural Nationalist State is like the social institution of Patriarchy, which dominates and crushes those who are in positions of less power to maintain the “ruling” relationship. This is why perhaps Tagore, despite his critic and opposition of colonialism, support of the Indian freedom movement and “swaraj”; was actually against Cultural Nationalism. This was the big difference between Tagore and Gandhi within the Indian context and both had heated debates over the dangers of Nationalism. As a philosopher and above all “Peace activist”. Tagore’s idea of the independent Indian Nation was essentially feminine and inclusive, as expressed through his songs. He called for intellectual cooperation between Nations to achieve the common goals of human freedom; rather than a vain ego boosting crazy competitive Western model of Patriarchal Nation State, which went to war and caused mayhem as discussed in his essay “Crisis of Civilization”. Unfortunately, over a century later the divide he observed between East and West has disappeared

4. Sulaiman

Thank you for highlighting this issue. It is extremely sad how the world is turning a blind eye to them…

5. pramod

i think admin is himself a muslim , who is only seeing muslim oppression around the world , but at the same time ignoring what muslims are doing in the wold ..bro post some stuff like atrocities of muslim also like terrorism ,fake jihad ,Kashmir genocide ,etc to show an unbiased views..!

1. Saurya

I believe SHE is just giving us some information about one part of the world. If you know about Kashmir genocide, write about it! I’m sure she would read it and appreciate it as well. I don’t understand how this article is biased….whatever other muslims are doing in other parts of the world, how is it related to these people? and why should these people suffer because there are muslim terrorists? and why would you call them muslim terrorists anyways? they made their own choices not islam. I think you missed the whole point of the article dude!

2. pramod

its not about this page..its about this website..!! can you show me any post on this website showing oppression faced by other religions apart from muslims..it seems like only muslims are facing problems ,others are having all comforts ..!! The same thing is happening to Hindus in Pakistan and nobody cares about it..!!

3. pramod

and it wont surprise me if the admin put some post about how Israel is killing Hamas (innocent muslim terrorist ).

4. Mihika

Thank you Shaurya for highlighting the point. With all due respect to all ethnicities and religions, I only wished to shed some light on the atrocities that were happening then…nowhere do I compare people from different regions because that’s not the point. The entire point is to bring the fact to light that some major massacre happened and should be reported.
      My upbringing has been absolutely secular and I don’t hold biased views to anyone/any religion/any ethnicity et al.

5. Saurya

And I am a Hindu by the way!

6. pramod

u can be anyone but open your eyes..!!

7. Concerned

Why do people always associate terrorism with Islam? U asked for unbiased views but in actual fact you were only asking the writer to pin point the bad things that had happened and caused by Muslims. Why didn’t you ask for things that the Zionists had done? How Muslims were persecuted and tormented in the EU and US? You disgust me.

8. amaan

bcz u r a disgusting creature ..!

6. mit

Why u people are not writing on the condition of hindus of pakistan who are doing the same thing that is happening to them in burma

7. Babar

The people commenting here touting the words “Kashmiri” & “Pakistani” & trying to make strange correlations between those groups and the Rohingya, are idiots. The Rohingya have nothing to do with Kashmiris & Pakistanis.
    Sure part of the reason the Rohingya may be being targetted is because they’re Muslim, but that doesn’t even begin to describe the real reason they are being targetted & that reason is because the Rohingya are an Indic ethnic group and are being targetted for their skin color and Indian appearance. They are called “kala” by the Burmese (go figure since that word is Indic origin) & a recently a Burmese member of government called the Rohingya “ugly as ogres”(referring to their ethnicity/skin color). These reasons have nothing to do with Muslims and Islam and have everything to do with racism & the deepset xenophobia the burmese have towards indians & indic ethnic groups (in light of the forced expulsion of indians in 1962 from Burma & the subsequent creation in 1982 of the “burmese citizenship act” which is designed to reserve burmese citizenship for mongoloid ethnic groups only while keeping out indic & indian peoples from attaining Burmese citizenship. If anything, people from india should be outraged over the slaughter of the Rohingya (who look just like them). Instead people here are condeming the Rohingya based on their religion; utterly disgraceful.

1. Saurya

completely agree!

8. Fatima

The Hindus in pakistan are living a very comfortable life. They are in good posts and enjoy a good living. How can you compare them to the Burmese Muslims who ARE in terrible condition.
    Muslims all over the world are being oppressed and that’s the truth

1. Pramod

haa..biggest joke of the decade..!! madam even muslim minorities(ahmadi) in pak is not even safe .so how Hindu can be safe there ..!! stop lying as we are not blind..!

9. Rami

I am ashamed to admit that I never knew the situation was this drastic. I, like many other people, have likely seen a short headline or saw a FB post in passing, but this is truly horrifying. Is there any way to get involved to help- e.g. charities, demonstrations, petitions, etc?

More from Mihika Jindal

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Raj Iyre

By Yash Johri