This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Watch: When Did Doing Something “Like A Girl” Become An Insult?

More from Mayank Jain

Tamora Pierce raised a very pertinent question in her book ‘In The Hand Of Goddess’ by pointing out, “Why do boys say someone acts like a girl as if it were an insult?” and it is one of the many unanswered mysteries that were thrust upon us by patriarchy to figure and get rid of.

Stereotypes haunt the women of today, wherever they go or whatever they do. Everything about women is turned into phrases that insinuate weakness or inability in some way or the other. This is precisely why we see children grow up with prejudices and tinted vision of the world where everything is either good or bad and all bad things can be safely attributed to a feminine quality.

The video raises the same question and portrays how we have shackled modern women in stereotypes and our careless use of phrases such as “like a girl” to communicate weakness and incompetence, promotes a culture of shaming and insulting.

What does it mean to you when someone says “you throw a like girl”? It’s time for you to answer.

1. Ramanand Kowta

This kind of prejudice happens in one more aspect. The Left hand( feminine half- ILLOGICAL HEART) is portrayed as being inferior to the Right Hand( masculine half- LOGICAL HEAD).A well used left will enable the Right Brain – creative, intuitive – to evolve naturally into A SPIRITUAL BEING- a threat to organised religion. Portrayal of the androgynous SHIVA is only a symbolic way to show the need to ‘unite- yoga’ the masculine and feminine into ONE BEING. For a more detailed understanding,
    – please contact me, with family and friends, for a trip to the Elephanta Caves – off Mumbai. I am a Freelance Tour Guide.
    – read ‘ the Book of Woman ‘ by the inimitable OSHO.
    Please feel free to contact me.
    Yours Nature-Ally,
    Ramanand Kowta
    ram.hey.anand@gmail.com
    ph 09892910023

2. Rekha Natarajan

An amazing video…!!! the same as how a picture could say everything … the same this video has given all the answers with a direct slap on the faces to those of the type… literally who think #likegirl to be a tag used for weakness, powerless, useless and even as an insult. this is something that has been a super mystery from years ago. still we have no answers for it may b we can assure our future baby girls that they wont live in a world which sees a girl as an insult and at the same tym as a goddess. i hope we are on the way lead to get all the answers and change it into the way it has to be for the betterment of the society and to alive again the words #gender equality , practically………… ALWAYS is doing an excellent job… “lets rewrite the rules”

3. anurag B

a beautiful video !! though i never intend to insult or bias against a woman, i seldom do that to make my surroundings funny. i would not do that again,, nor should anyone else.. there is no act , like a girl, nor like a boy.

4. Karen McFly

Excuse me, do you really think telling lies is going to make the world a better place? Telling women every day that they are disadvantaged will make them live happier lives? I just came here to critique the silly video but then I saw your silly article and just couldn’t believe it. Which planet do you live on where “Everything about women is turned into phrases that insinuate weakness or inability in some way or the other. “? This is a blatant lie. I have admittedly not been to India but it isn’t true for Pakistan, which I have visited and is certainly not true for the English speaking countries in which this ‘book’ by Miss Pierce is published. Sure, someone who doesn’t act very forcefully in physical activities, such as throwing a ball or running will sometimes hear that they are performing in this like a girl. It’s a matter of fact that women do not have the same physical capabilities as men, hence why they do not compete together in the Olympics. Likewise, it’s matter of fact that people are told that they have handwriting like a boy if you can’t read anything that they have written. Boys who hand in a very good essay are asked whether their sister has written it for them. In our knowledge based economy, where physical work is decreasing in importance. I wonder which is the harsher insult. No, I don’t wonder as it is very obvious. I just wonder how Feminism keeps obscuring people’s view of the world and makes them see a different reality from the one that is right in front of their eyes.

More from Mayank Jain

By Dipali Banka

By Ganita

By Love Matters India