This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Is Arun Jaitley”s “One Small Incident” The Reason Why We Can”t Trust BJP For Safety Of Women?

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

2013

“Ek hi shabd hai – Maryada. Maryada ka ulanghan hota hai, toh Sita-haran ho jata hai. Laxman-rekha har vyakti ki khichi gayi hai. Us Laxman-rekha ko koi bhi par karega, toh Rawan samne baitha hai, woh Sita-haran karke le jayega. (One has to abide by certain moral limits. If you cross this limit you will be punished, just like Sita was abducted by Ravana),” – Kailash Vijayvargiya, BJP leader and Madhya Pradesh Cabinet minister.

2014

“One small incident of rape in Delhi advertised world over is enough to cost us billions of dollars in terms of global tourism,” – Arun Jaitley, Minister of Finance

22rape1

Before the 2014 elections, BJP, hungry for power was sitting on the side-lines of the political game. It pounced upon every opportunity to appear sensitive and forthright and protested against crimes, hate speeches, manufactured encounters and even the black money their own coffers were hiding. Post the 2014 elections, the party managed to come to power and turned the composition of the parliament upside down.

Barely three months into the parliament and the same ministers who howled and cried in the streets against insensitive remarks have taken to trivializing the issue themselves. It was against the remark of President’s (and an ex-congressman) son about ‘dented and painted women who protest on the streets for two minutes of limelight’ when BJP came out all guns blazing to protest against the Congress. National dailies carried editorials from members of all sides of the party who condemned this and frowned upon the worsening situation of women in the country. It represented the outrage that people had.

Many voted BJP to power because the party seemed to be as outraged as the general public and saw hope in their promises. But does the recent comment by Mr. Jaitley suggest that “rapes” are coming in the way of industrial progress? Does the remark indicate that we need to underplay incidents of rape and project a ‘safer’ image of India to the world? Does Mr. Jaitley suggest that we trivialize the issue as a solution to it?

Arun Jaitley, the frank and firebrand lawyer who didn’t think twice before invoking the rule of law and advocating for equality, seems to be lost in the politics of ‘economic development’ versus ‘human development’. Where is the Arun Jaitley who managed to rationalize the rather immature statements from BJP and turn them around into specific points of agenda? Where is the Arun Jaitley who adroitly advocated for women’s safety in the country? Where is the government that was so keen on grabbing power so that they could take away our miseries instead of inflicting more?

He has clarified on the comment which the ‘media is spinning around’. But he, and several other of our decision makers need to realize that the reality is that women are unsafe in India and that rapes are rampant, and people need action, not wordplay.

1. Manish

You can definitely trust the safety of women to the thugs and rapists of the Samajwadi Party Mayank!

2. balayogi

Frankly speaking this particular writer Mayank Jain seems to be a pronounced anti BJP writer entrenched in leftist ideological slush . who either overtly or covertly criticizes every statement any BJP member and also sarcastically question every policy of the new government. By doing this you are exposing more and more about your ideological [leftists] bias/cage from which you can never emancipate and it is not at all healthy for any youth personally nor is it good for a site which has in its title the word ‘youth’. This ideology gets indoctrinated so deeply as a part of cultural psychology that has been only eating rasagollas and fish for the past 6 decades without producing a single worthy industrial development in a geographical area where it has got its youth entrenched. Your magazine itself seems to criticize and question everything for the sake of it. This questioning is also selective. Youth ki awaaz never seems to criticize AAP or Cong’s gigantic corruption and slavery to a single family . If you are getting funded by them , then all the best . But if you want to remain as a qualitative product of impartial journalism . Do a retrospection. I am not a BJP sympathizer nor a blind admirer of any political ideology/outfit but I strongly feel journalism , if it has to survive, first must see beyond the campus of JNU, beyond the territory of DElhi , beyond the leftist ideological cages , desist from criticizing everything that the present ruling dispensation is trying to do which involves many tasks like undoing the damage the congress has done for almost 60 + years along with the left, fill up the treasury which was looted by cong, there are thousands of stories on that, includng non payment by government for the first time even to RBI [ all these never seem to bother YOUTH KI AWAAZ] when AWAAZ wants to be too loud it fails to listen and see. There was no write up about all the lousy comments made by AZam Khan of SP which even SP is finding uncomfortable, no article about lousy comments of Rahul why? are you getting paid by them ? or are you afraid? in either case shame on you Mayank.

1. SS

Instead of discussing writer’s political ideologies, how about we discuss what actually happened a couple of days ago? If the writer starts loving BJP and hating Congress would the mindset of ministers change? If it does, then please let all of us know. We would all stand with you to bully him into changing his mindset. Till then can we actually focus on the fact that a very respected representative of the ruling party has uttered something which goes on to show the seriousness attributed to women’s safety by the ones on whom we put our trust?

3. Monistaf

The media frenzy caused by this “one small incident” did change for the worse how India is perceived around the world. India is not any more dangerous for women than a lot of other countries, but the media seems to be one-sided, reporting and highlighting crimes against women a lot more than any other crime, as if nothing else matters. If you do not believe me, check out this comparison between India and the USA.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/India/United-States/Crime
    If you think that is a stretch, check out the rapes per million people which is an indication of the percentage of people victimized by this horrific crime. You can even compare it with Australia.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/India/Crime
    When was the last time people thought twice about visiting any of these countries for fear of being victimized? May be it has something to do with the media being a little more fair when reporting ALL crime instead of choosing to stick with crimes that simply draw attention. Even our own national bureau of crime records say that crimes against women in India are a little more than 10% of the total crimes reported in the country. I would challenge the media to reflect this reality in their choice of what they want to report, because sometimes, the truth is inconvenient, but it has to be told. So, yes, Mr. Jaitley was right, we blew up something that damaged the reputation of the country. He is not justifying the crime, he is asking you to be fair in your reporting.

More from Mayank Jain

By Siddharth Burman