This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Comparing Housewives To Donkeys: Horrifying Extracts From Textbooks That Our Children Read In Schools

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

What if your child’s sixth standard textbook is teaching him/her that non vegetarians are sinners? What if the government prescribed textbooks are preaching children about the importance of marriage and how getting married without a ‘bad name’ is the dream of every girl?

Photo Credit
Photo Credit

Apparently, they are.

Some shocking, and at the same time horrifying excerpts from the textbooks of primary schools of India have emerged in reports online. These passages manage to shatter any faith left in the primary education given at various schools in Gujarat and Rajasthan. How wrong could state education commissions go in preparing texts for impressionable minds who go to schools looking for ‘education’? Quite heavily- if this text from a book by Dina Nath Batra (which is now a reference book for students) is anything to go by:

“(The Indian map should include) ‘countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Burma’ (as it’s all a) ‘part of Akhand Bharat… Undivided India is the truth, divided India is a lie. Division of India is unnatural and it can be united again…”

Apparently, the idea of undivided India will take its own sweet time to exit the mind of this academician who considers it is possible to reunite most south Asian countries into an Indian subcontinent. The objective behind such passages in the book is likely to evoke a nationalistic feeling in the hearts and minds of impressionable children who can grow up to be jingoists and deny the existence of other countries as independent states, much like we see in politicians of today fighting for a ‘viraat hindu rashtra’.

The prospects of teaching this disastrous geography to students with ‘facts’ like existence of Akhand Bharat are scary enough, but some other books have taken to blatant lies instead of just misrepresentation. Children are learning about the existence of motor cars during Vedic times and these mythical texts are being passed off as ‘facts’. On page number 60 of his book Tejomay Bharat, Batra claims:

“What we know today as the motorcar existed during the Vedic period. It was called anashva rath. Usually a rath (chariot) is pulled by horses but an anashva rath means the one that runs without horses or yantra-rath, what is today a motorcar. The Rig Veda refers to this…”

“Indians as rightly cooked rotis”

“Once Dr Radhakrishnan went for a dinner. There was a Briton at the event who said, ‘We are very dear to God’. Radhakrishnan laughed and told the gathering, “Friends, one day God felt like making rotis. When he was cooking the rotis, the first one was cooked less and the English were born. The second one stayed longer on the fire and the Negroes were born. Alert after His first two mistakes, when God went on to cook the third roti, it came out just right and as a result Indians were born.”

This horribly racist story has been in the textbooks which defames our first vice president as a man with some narcissistic sense of humour. The quote teaches the supremacy of Indian ‘race’ because we are one of the better cooked chapattis by God. It is downright racist and far from harmless.

Among other such ‘facts’, there are passages about the invention of Television during the time of Mahabharata when Sanjay gave a live telecast of the battle to a blind Dhritrashtra. J.L. Baird who actually invented the television in 1926 must be shifting in his grave and cringing at the thought of his invention discredited in favour of a mythical text that goes 5,000 years back.

“There is no doubt that the invention of television goes back to this… In Mahabharata, Sanjaya sitting inside a palace in Hastinapur and using his divya shakti would give a live telecast of the battle of Mahabharata… to the blind Dhritarashtra”– Page 64

The infiltration of textbooks by elements far removed from educational research is not new. RSS’s own body called Vidya Bharati Akhil Bharatiya Shiksha Sansthan (VBABSS) was established in 1978. VBASS is assigned with the task of using the educational system to lay down the foundation of its rich roots in the minds of children and has continued to do so.

Comparing housewives to donkeys

When we see misogynistic statements online or sexist comments on the streets, we might know whom to blame. Textbooks in some schools of Rajasthan have went as far ahead as likening donkeys to housewives and reiterating that a donkey is better than housewives because it won’t run away to its parents and will always be ‘loyal to its master’.

“A donkey is like a housewife… It has to toil all day, and, like her, may even have to give up food and water. In fact, the donkey is a shade better… for while the housewife may sometimes complain and walk off to her parents’ home, you’ll never catch the donkey being disloyal to his master.”

14-year-olds in Rajasthan are effectively being taught that a housewife is worse than a donkey. They are also warned that a housewife might have to give up food and water to fulfil her ‘duties’. This horrid passage not only reflects the shallowness of those who created it but also the fact that Indian education reforms are going to be a lie if primary textbooks remain the same.

Hitler was a strong administrator

“Hitler lent dignity and prestige to the German government within a short time, establishing a strong administrative set-up.”

A complete chapter called ‘Internal Achievements of Nazism’ in Gujarati textbooks rubbishes the Holocaust and goes on to project Hitler as an able administrator who was a ‘true leader’. The genocides, mass killings and concentration camps of Nazis have been replaced with the glorification of a Nazi authority in the minds of 13-15 year olds.

With the nationalistic feelings in place, a task in hand to reunite ‘akhand bharat’ which also includes Afghanistan, a clear discourse on housewives’ position being worse than donkeys and Hitler’s genocides being exonerated, the polity of the country has finally managed to impart its rich values to the children. The much awaited ‘modernization’ of education is only a few steps away from their predefined goal:

“Modernisation of education should not mean westernisation, but Indianisation.” Page 8, Shikshan Nu Bharatiyakaran

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter at @mayank1029

1. Mayank Mallik

Promoting blind nationalism, irrational thought, misogyny , bigoted racism, and religious intolerance are not the way forward. Rational and critical thinking and rejection of unscientific principles should be encouraged. Unfortunately, this type of thinking is deeply ingrained in Indian society and certain political groups are helping it grow for their selfish political gains

2. Nand Advani

Comparing women their own mothers with donkeys no problem gadhe ka baccha gadha hi Hota hai, had men who write this had human brains then he would hv compared his mother to goddess then he would be god too , what we think we become if men think their mothers r donkeys they shall remain donkeys too wonder when men will become mature ?? Raping now gang raping beating women , prostitution , murders cheating , dowry deaths, wonder who men compare themselves too even donkeys don’t do all this that means Ty r worst then donkeys sad 😷😈👿👹👹👹👺

3. naval

Hi Mayank ,
    Can you please give links to pdfs of these text books or if there is some kind of online directory where these books can be read .. which you are referring in this article ?

4. Prashant Kaushik

Because Leftists hate religion and nationalism, we must teach our children in such ways that they feel ashamed of both Indian history as well as Indian society. To Show our kids a glorified version of our dirty past.

1) Show :- Vedic religion was brought by outsiders. ( The fake Aryan Invasion theory )
    2) Show :- Jainism and Bushism were opponents of Hinduism.
    3) Show :- India was never a united nation.
    4) Show :- HInduism, the only thing it meant, focussed, preached was Casteism and Dalit oppression.

Why don’t you write about such filth being injected into the minds of young vulnerable children ? And imparting of filth is far more widespread, both in dimension of time and space, than any random books of MP, Rak boards.

1. Nilesh

Jainism and Budhism were actually opponents of Hinduism. Hinduism means the astika school of Indian philosophy where astika means that Vedas have a divine source. 3 schools existed which were nastika because they rejected Vedas as divine sources. These 3 schools were: Jainism, Budhism and Charvaka’s materialism.

If you claim that Jainism and Budhism are a part of Hinduism, you will also have to accept that Vedas are not divine.

2. Nilesh

Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Swami Vivekananda have both written that Jainism and Budhism influenced Hinduism and led to removal of the rituals of animal sacrifice.

3. Shubham Kulshreshtha

yes they were a competition for the brahmins of that time, but saying that they were opponents just because of being nastik is an illogical statement….there were samkhya and mimansa school of thoughts in hinduism which did not believed in the existence of god….u can be a hindu even if u are an atheist….the only difference was that jains and buddhists didn’t adopted the vedas as their holy scriptures….

4. Mohammad Ramakrishna

Aryans are cousins of Europeans – they were outsiders and acted as outsiders to this day. These marauders invented the caste system.

5. bhanvi shukla

Mayank… The points you made were quite right… But th statements regarding “anashva ratha” and “divya drishti” were quite biased…
    How do you know that anashva rath didn’t exist?? How can u claim the divya drishti gifted to sanjay wasn’t something like the modern day television… One more example that needs addong is the pyshpak viman of lord kuber used by rama to return to his homeland in ramayana!
    There is no written proof, i admit, that these things exist, but tjere is no proof either they didn’t… Its a fact that ours was a civilization far more advanced than the contempories. It just might be that the ancient texts point out to something which we’ve been missing out?!! That these scientific gadgets really did exist and somehow got destroyed eventually just the same as mohejo-daro civilization ceased to exist…
    Being scientific is another thing,but disregarding what might actually have been is no genius!!

1. Nilesh

Bhanvi,

You should read and understand how “burden of proof” works. You cannot prove that a pink elephant doesn’t exist on the planet Jupiter. But burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim. Till the proof arrives, we should not accept the claim.

2. Shubham

You are the only one making sense here Nilesh. Thank you for standing up for reason, rationality and logic. Many defending their religion here seems to have abandoned all logic.

3. bhanvi shukla

Considering the “burden of proof” i’d ask you do you believe that mohenjo-daro civilization existed well before others around the globe were still living in caves?? If yes, and if the people were so much scientific and advanced that they were way ahead of their contemporaries in buliding systematic households and proper establishments compared to the living conditions of contemporaries, why can’t we follow the logic and postulate that they were far more advanced in other areas as well?? Anyways… I must admit that this all stands on assumption and following the trail of logic and not the logic itself, hence i must cease arguing and start searching for proofs instead. The only thing i wanted to convey is- rather than disregarding your very own culture why not try to go deeper inside and understand what it symbolises?!

4. Ignorance is crime

You may be right, but whatever is not firmly proved cannot be put in a textbook. As you keep saying ”maybe”. ”Maybe” is half truth, no textbook teaches someone to be an atheist or an agnoist then why to teach them to be believers. It is their choice when they become sane enough they will. Why dont you practise Islam, you were since childhood taught to follow Hinduism and will not even give a single thought that they ” maybe” also correct lets search deep in their philosophy too. Carbon dating and fossil records throw away any religion which stands on any mythological belief and it is time we accept it, there are many evidences. Things are more intriguing than they seem to be according to mythologies.

6. Vamsi

All the things you pointed seems to be right except the one about the motor cars.

If Rig veda pointed that motor cars existed way back in Vedic period, then it can be said in the books, right?

Give some importance to our Indian books, just don’t say that everything is invented and discovered by foreigners

1. Nilesh

Even if the Rigved mentions it, it doesn’t prove that they actually existed. Science fiction is not actual science. I can write a novel about time traveling machine, but it doesn’t prove that I have created a time machine.

7. Rishi Das Roy

It is a well written article. Mayank can you provide the name of the book and its author which compares women with donkey.

8. Prabodh gedam

Its a shameful thing that even in this century & educated society some people are destroying society directly from its core by ill-educating childrens.
    They said, ‘KALYUG will bring decline in human society.’ but fact is peoples like these are bringing KALYUG.
    Young and future INDIA don’t want and need this all bullshit.

9. smitha shetty

Will you be able to post the snapshots of the book with the text portions that you have disagreed upon highlighted (or as many people have said here give a pdf link to the book in which these details are printed). It will give more credibility to your arguement. Right now as I agree with a lot of the things you ave mentioned here, I am also wondering if you are a fraud..Sorry..my two cents:)

10. Annie

Hi Mayank,
    An interesting article. I would like to see the citations of the textbooks that you have referred to. (As a sub-editor, you would know that proper citation of your sources is extremely important for your work to be taken seriously).
    Also, and more importantly, I would like to ask what steps you would propose be taken to remedy the matter?
    It’s good to bring this to everyone’s attention – but without any follow-up action they will remain mere words that will achieve nothing but sowing more dissent amongst people and confusion in the minds of the impressionable.

More from Mayank Jain

By Namrata Vijay

By Sneha Banerjee

By Silca