This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

5 Stereotypes That I Face Everyday As An Indian Male

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

We have learned to preach love. We love to quote quotes and we make sure we express our displeasure for those fairness creams every time we have an intelligent gathering around. We are getting better at appearing non-sexist. Despite so much that we are trying to accomplish to come across as a non-judgmental bunch of people, spotting someone who doesn’t fit in gives us a mental itch and our hypocrisy is exposed in no time.

As much as I hear that these times are tough for the minorities and the underrepresented, I also realize the fact that being a man is tough even when the population of men is more than women. It is partly due to a set of expectations that having a male genitalia thrusts on you, and partly because of the simple fact that we aren’t just people for the world. We are a breed of conformists who believe and worship the ideals of real manhood (whatever that means), and the rest are non-conformists who are reminded/forced to confirm to the idea of ‘real men’ or else they will shame the name of the ‘stronger sex’. It is an everyday struggle to dodge the pressure of conforming to those ideas which you hate in the first place. These are some of the stereotypes that I have continuously faced:

“Is that a pink shirt?”: Yes, and I also have 2 more *pink* shirts which I love to wear. Why do I have to stay away from the colour pink and focus on blues and greys? Children get colour segregated toys from the very childhood, I might have got some too. But, why this cringe from the society when a guy wears a perfectly fine shirt just because its colour is Pink? I have seen other colours become victims of this stereotype as well and what it does is create a segregationist society where men can’t venture into spaces which are ‘reserved’ for women and the same goes for women at times. Someone with a liking for “pink” is automatically labelled ‘too girly’.

pink

“Stop crying like a girl.”: There are a lot of people who want to tell you this and they do. The idea of a “real man” is suddenly invoked when a man starts feeling emotional. If a man cries, it is not because he is weak. It is because he doesn’t want to die with his feelings pent up inside. There have been times when crying came to me as an inevitable response to a situation and I had really no inclination to think about my ‘masculine identity’ at the moment, but it is practically a full time job of people around you to start making fun of your crying and emotions. Probably because men are supposed to have hearts of battle grade tin and steel.

“Do you really write poems? About love?”: I never thought I would get to hear this. As much as I was aware of the idea of segregation of careers by the idea of ‘masculinity’, I never believed that even creative expression is perceived to be a feminine trait while it has nothing to do with your biological makeup. The idea that men can’t write poems or express their feelings is as ridiculous as it is disappointing. Have we forgotten Shakespeare, Keats and Frost in one go? Why can’t men be poets, artists, or even knitting experts? And to answer this question, yes I do write poems about love and I will keep doing it because I don’t want my hobby or career to be defined by what people think a man ‘should’ or ‘should not’ do.

“Go to the gym. You must be tall, dark and handsome.”: No. You don’t get to tell me how I should be. This has always been a nightmare for me. Not being inclined towards cricket and the gym is a crime for someone who wants to be identified as ‘man’ in the society, because outdoor sports are the only way to be strong and a man can’t do anything without his physical strength. Instead of opening up spheres to women also, we build walls of  ‘masculinity’ and in turn, we describe a man by the built of his body and his ability to reach the top shelf of the kitchen (where he isn’t supposed to enter, in the first place). Everyone falling outside this sphere of ‘tall, dark and handsome’ is qualified for being ridiculed or bullied.

“Be the man. Start paying for your girlfriend.”: What about, no? Why can’t a girl pay for herself? Why do men have to be superheroes and ‘rescue’ people all the time? Why do we have to call ourselves the ‘stronger sex’, why can’t we be vulnerable for once and let a girl help us out? While it is a personal choice for men to pay for people around them or not, but if paying for someone makes you think that you are reasserting your ‘manhood’ on the relationship, then you have got it wrong. Chivalry is not dead but this fake male superiority should be killed at the earliest. Why is paying for someone a crucial requirement to ‘be a man’?

I could go on about how patriarchy not only affects women, but men as well. I could point out my displeasure when my sister was told that her brother will take care of her all the time. There are hundreds of similar stereotypes that aren’t just limited to men or women. There’s a lot to do towards ending stereotypes and sexism, but I still dream of a society where people are people and not their gender. Let’s create one?

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter at @mayank1029

1. Taniya

Yes u r ryt.it is not only girls who get bullied or harrased but boys too. Boys too have ryts. Ther is no thng sch as BOYS MUST NOT cry or that they must b able to perform stunts. Ther is no problem if a boy cooks or is artistic. But this narrow minded society has build a huge gr8 wall of china between boys n girls even in their selection of jobs such that boys r supposed to work in multi national companies with high salary n girls as a doctor or nurse ( close to their parents) and boys r to be the backbone of his family n for his wife n kids where as a girl has 2 leave her job family n sit in a strangers house n is expected to cook n live with somebody else’s money though she is capable enough even 2 earn twice her husbands salary.

2. balayogi

your sickness caused due to your over stay in left indoctrinated ideological cage in which you insist on staying shows itself in every article of yours with some irrelevant and unwarranted comments like this ‘As much as I hear that these times are tough for the minorities and the underrepresented, ‘ Flush out this cancer from your mind or else you can never see anything clearly without the lenses of your indoctrination and ideological fanaticism.

1. Kaju

If after reading this article you only responded to that one sentence in this very sensible, thought-provoking article that contained the word ‘minority’, perhaps it is you who’s indoctrinated? You have nothing to say for or against the main points made by this article, but that one sentence got your goat? The writer didn’t even say that the times are actually tough for minorities/ the underrepresented – he said he hears that they are. Presumably you took that one sentence as an allegation against BJP or something? Do you realize that you are the one who’s not seeing clearly, who’s seeing only what he expects to see?

And times *are* tough for at least the LGBT community given that homosexuality was criminalized again and the ruling party does not support decriminalization . And you know, you’d have more of a chance of converting people to your viewpoint if you tried to engage them in a discussion instead of making grand pronouncements.

3. Devadutta

Absolutely. Any person who has to degrade the other sex as a collective or still think of women as the “fairer” sex, is no better than the chauvinist who says women can’t drive or belong in the kitchen. It’s time to put an end to the hypocrisy, whichever gender it may be from. Having said that, I think its perfectly fine even if a man wants to wear make up or let his sister protect him with pride. Cheers.

4. sanskriti tiwari

Much needed !

5. Renu Sharma

I am a feminist and I agree with all your points. Sexism against either gender is just as bad and poisonous to the world. It is great to see that there are some Indian men who understand how patriarchy is the root to not just problems women face, but a lot of problems that men face too.

6. jeeka krishna

agreed .. nice article

7. Neha Jha

I agree with you on all points. Even I cringe when people say guys should not wear pink & that its a girly colour. I’m a girl but I don’t like pink. Also, this stupid notion that boys shouldn’t cry is one of the main reasons why men have to deal with pent-up emotions and often fall victim to silent suppressed frustrations. One reason why sexual harassment happens is this ridiculous notion. I have a brother & I take pride in the fact that he is sensitive & cares for feelings of others.
    What’s worse? Even the young generation has fallen victim to these idiotic stereotype. Wonder if things can ever change!
    Thanks for the article. I’m glad someone like you exists!

8. vaibhav

Taniya madam, Stranger’s house?? Really?? Somebody else’s money?? It is up to you how you want to manage that twice money. In saying that you have to spend somebody else’s money, you are distanting from your (don’t take it literally your) husband and in laws. And saying such thing is same as males saying why do i spend my wife’s money. I have to earn my own.. What applies for men applies for women too.. Think logically.. Not just in blind feminism mode…

9. akanksha

Seems like the writer was listing out first world problems of Indian men .

10. trishna

You are just my kinda guy 🙂

11. Suraj

Great article.
    Boys around me keep cracking jokes that are vulgar & sexist. And when I oppose them or at the least don’t respond by not laughing, they label me as “an immature kid”. Why? Who is more immature – they or me?

More from Mayank Jain

By Priyanka Mishra

By poorvi ammanagi

By Bloomsbury India