By Parul Garg:
‘Interesting book’Â would clearly be an understatement for ‘Breakout Nations’ by Ruchir Sharma. Economics lovers or not, you have to read this book to understand what economic development had been like, and how itÂ is working now. I must tell you that your perspective develops and changes a lotÂ while you are reading this book. It’s not like all other development economic texts, it captures your interest and keeps your mind on the move.
Here are 10 things which inspire me to tag ‘Breakout Nations’ as a must read:
1. The book talks about the course of economic development as a racing track, where no winner wins for a long period of time, and the competition gets stronger and harder with development reaching the new level every time.
2. The book is a perfect blend of economic and political situations in different countries, and apprehends their influence on each other very smoothly.
3. “Breakout Nations – In pursuit of the next economic Miracles”, the title says a lot about the book itself. It is like a book having future year forecasts for different economies which might be true or false, but definitely insightful.
4. The book gives you a walk through history, which in turn helps you understand the present scenario better. It very efficiently bridges the gap between history and present economic situations.
5. The book takes examples of many different countries like Brazil, India, China, Philippines, South Korea, South Africa and others, and explains their journey down the development lane till date. It also talks about their future growth prospects, which then give you not only an inward outlook of the nation, but also the outward stance of the world.
6. It familiarises you with working conditions, investment climate, growth progress, and price level variations in different economies, which further makes it easier to compare growth and development strategies in different economies. i.e. It also puts to display the relative viewpoint.
7. It gives statistics in the form of remarkable facts, which not only makes it easy to summon up, but also makes it more interesting than usual monotonous data tables.
8. The book is not only about the good picture, instead, it also discusses accidents and trends which lead to negative forecasts.
9. It comes up with words and phrases like cappuccino economy, is god Brazilian?, E-merging markets, Efficient corruption, and so on, which makes a few important concepts build home in your memory.
10. The book is no less than the stage show going on among the developed and developing countries, synonymous to insightful entertainment.
So go ahead, grab your copy of this international best seller.