This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anshul Tewari. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

[VIDEO] These Girls Spell Out 10 Surprisingly Basic Things Men Do That Women Avoid Doing

More from Anshul Tewari

It is now fairly well known that among the myriad problems that our culture and society poses to women, one big problem is negotiating one’s amidst societal regulations trying to control what they do and how they do it. While the women’s rights movement has been actively advocating to break these barriers and questioning the status quo, for now, the barriers still do exist. From feeling unsafe even in private spaces, to adhering to the patriarchal societal norms set in place to subjugate women, our society today has created more roadblocks towards a more holistic approach towards gender inclusive growth.

This video by Old Delhi Films showcases how even in this day and age women avoid doing a lot of things which men can freely do – even something as basic as attending the cable guy or electrician on the door, or traveling alone or even using public transport without the imminent threat of violence.

Do share your comments in the comments section below.

To know more about what I think about this story, follow me on Twitter @anshul_tewari.

1. Babar

1. Buying cigarettes from local paanwalas: It sounds like smoking is a good thing, a moral duty, almost an obligation that men can do and women can’t.

2. Pissing in public: Now women want to compete with men in this department too. I will not insult anyone’s intelligence by going over why this is the lamest thing in gender equality I have ever heard.

3. Hitchhiking: Agreed that it is dangerous for women, but since when did it become safe for men?

4. Attending electricians or cable guys alone: The issue is not that women can’t attend them, the issue is that they should not be alone.

5. Going topless: Men’s and women’s bodies are different. Even in the western world, going topless is a criminal offence for women.

6. Sitting freely with your legs open: Women are free to sit with their legs open, but they choose not to.

7. Wearing short clothes when going out: How is this something that men do and women avoid doing?

8. Travelling alone: Countless men have been mugged, stabbed, robbed, raped, and killed when they travelled alone.

9. Using public transport at night: The issue is not about using public transport, but about being alone at night.

10. Buying condoms: Men feel more embarrassed buying condoms, especially with female customers present.

1. Cees Tompot

Do you really not understand Babar? It sounds you did, but are afraid to admit.

2. khushi

You should totally watch Emma Watson’s United Nations speech…!!!!
      We are not against men…we want gender equality…!!!!

3. Monistaf

Kushi – that is what all feminists say, they stand for “equality”. Please help me understand ONE law on the books in India that is unfavorable to women. Everyone is equal under the law. In fact, women in India are “more equal” (I know it is an oxymoron) than men. A good example is section 498a of the Indian Penal Code. So, whether it is smoking, buying condoms or what ever else this video claims, it is not against the law and the fact that some girls feel embarrassed seems to be a barrier in their minds that they are unable or unwilling to break. So, now you want “equality” in that people should not stare at girls buying condoms? As far as watching Emma Watson, trust me, there are plenty of WOMEN who have already realized that feminism has never been about equality. Please check Camille Paglia, Danielle Crittenden, Suzanne Venker, Christina Hoff Summers, Karen Straughan to name a few. Some of them, were radical feminists that quickly realized that feminism clearly preached hatred against men and blamed men for all their problems. This is a quote from the editor of Feminist Magazine. “I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.” — Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor.” You call that equality??

4. Pranjal Rawat

You sound angry that these girls are coming out and saying these things?
      Does it step on the space your male ego needs?

5. aniket

cant you understand the meaning of this video??
      or you just commented without even watching it??

6. D Gilll

Babar and his statistics yet again… yawn.. again Babar, get a new hobby.

2. Deepika

What a funny shallow comment.
    Did you even watch the video??

3. sneha

I travel alone.. Every where. Of course I’m vigilant and not reckless, everyone should be.
    About pissing, it’s a natural bodily function. However, for the sake of hygiene please use toilets.
    I’d suggest women that it is better to get judged buying condoms than endanger your self to unwanted pregnancy and diseases.
    There are sick people out there and it is not just alcohol that makes them do heinous crimes. Stay cautious and safe but don’t be afraid to live your life.

4. Veda Nadendla

I have gone through the exact same thing in Chennai. I was standing at this tea shop smoking with two of my male classmates, when these three other men were just staring at me. And then from out of nowhere, this guy walks up and stands next to a tree and starts clicking a picture of me. It was just baffling.

While this video signifies what most women go through on an everyday basis, we need to realize that as a woman it is our responsibility to be safe and to use our common sense knowing that there is danger all around us. I am not saying clip your wings, I am saying, we can’t say “Society is limiting us, fuck the society, I will wear really short clothes/I will sit in the most comfortable position in public transport/I will travel alone…etc” We have to use our better judgement to provide for our own safety. Independence and freedom also means responsibility toward oneself. 🙂

1. Monistaf

Veda, I absolutely love your comment. This is exactly what I mentioned in response to one of the comments below. You are equal under the law, have the guts to exercise those freedoms. Embarrassment, fear of judgement, concern for being perceived differently and other inhibitions are barriers in your own mind. Don’t blame the society or the “Patriarchy” for these problems. I think women should take accept responsibility for their own feelings of inadequacy and stop blaming everyone else for how they feel. If someone wants to take a picture, what are you afraid of? You should not be if you have a clear conscience. After all, the person taking the picture is also free to exercise his / her right to photograph in public. At some point, we will have to realize that women and men are known to have disparate biological imperatives. Advocating one sex to obliterate their proclivities and concerns for the benefit of the other is absurd and preposterous. Societal cheerleading will never succeed in getting men to purge themselves of their essence, which makes them men. Everyone is free and equal and should be able to do anything they want as long as they do not violate any laws. If either men or women feel restricted in exercising their freedoms, the problem seems to be with them. Let us stop playing this blame game and constantly playing the victim card.

2. Veda Nadendla

Monistaf, what I said was not entirely in congruence with what you did. Although we came very close to the same belief. The problem is not necessarily always with women, infact blame needs to be lain where it is meant to be or else change will never happen. There will never be a realization of what is really bothering the women of this country. Now, we speak about all these illicit characters who trouble our minds and limit us from doing what we want to, unfortunately there is little or no way that what we write will reach them if they are not on an internet forum. Least it does, is reach out to other people like us, men and women, who can empathize and who will realize that if this is happening in front of their eyes, it needs to stop.

5. Kamal

Listing these 10 or 100 societal norms is useless and not much of help to the cause of gender equality. Every human being irrespective of gender must have a choice to follow or not follow these.
    There is no law stopping females from doing these, however its upto them whether they want to follow or not.

1. Geetika

In the case of buying condoms and smokes: Yea we can do it and you would probably join the shopwallah in taunting and harassing her every time she wanders near place again.
      In the case of public transport after 9: drunk drivers and drunk passengers and a healthy fear of males of delhi via nirbhaya.

Shut up and think before posting from your ass.

6. arpit

yes it is ok to talk about gender equality, starting in terms of rights, hygenic activities, actions revealing awareness, but more or less crowd takes it to simply
    male(each and every case) = female(each and every case, even overuling mens cases)
    so, i wanna say, apart from video, that how it can be exactly equal when 2 distinct genders exist i.e; there must b something that differentiate male and female in terms of its physical & pschycological existence on earth

7. arpit

so, i wanna say, apart from video, that how it can be exactly equal when 2 distinct genders exist i.e; there must b something that differentiate male and female in terms of its physical & pschycological existence on earth.

More from Anshul Tewari

By Asra Naaz

By arisha ahmed

By Mansi Mahajan