This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Katyayini Kabir Kakar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

5 Amazing Korean TV Shows That Will Take You On A ‘Game Of Thrones’ Style Fantasy Ride

By Katyayini Kabir Kakar:

With the 4th season of Game of Thrones coming to an end, millions of zealous fans worldwide are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. So, while you wait (Im)patiently for the next season to be up , here’s a little something to help you take your eyes off that countdown. A list of 5 popular TV shows from Korea, which will give you your daily fix of fantasy romance. Best served with a steaming bowl of Ramyun!

1. My Love from the star 별에서 온 그대

A fantasy rom-com starring the adorable Kim Soo-hyun as the alien who crash landed on earth, 400 years ago and the diva Jun Ji-hyun (My Sassy Girl anyone?) as the superstar of modern era and the woman he falls for.

This drama revolves around the trials and tribulations of their cosmic love. Fashion, fantasy, romance and time travel – this one has all the ingredients to keep you hooked. Pity it’s only 21 episodes long.

My love from the star

2. The Moon that embraces the sun 해를 품은 달

Adapted from the novel of the same name, this drama is as beautiful as it’s name. The heart wrenching love story of a righteous Korean king and a beautiful shaman, it stars Kim Soo-hyun and Han Ga-in in the lead. The USP of this show is clearly the storyline, which blends romance and Korean folklore beautifully. The actors will take you through an emotional roller coaster and the OSTs will haunt you for a long long time.

The moon that embraces the sun

3. Gu Family Book 구가의 서

The incredible journey of Choi Kang Chi, a half-human-half-mythical creature, who faces innumerable trials on his quest to becoming a part of the human world. Starring Lee Seung-gi and Bae Suzy (from the girl group Miss A), this drama spins a beautiful tale of how love conquers all. Set in the Josean era, it combines the elements of time travel, martial arts, fantasy and history. “The time when we meet again, I will recognize you first. The time when we meet again, I will love you first” – Kang Chi. Enough said.

Gu family book

4. My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (Nine-tailed fox) 내 여자친구는 구미호

A refreshing tale starring Shin Min-ah as the charming Gumiho and Lee Seung-gi as Dae Woong, a winy little spoilt brat, this is a comedy which takes a fresh spin on human meets supernatural. Trapped in a painting for about 500 years, the gumiho is eventually freed by Dae Woong. Once freed, she tags along with him and experiences life in the modern human world. The childlike innocence and impish charm of the gumiho will melt your heart. A feel good drama with an ending which will, well, see for yourself!

my girlfriend is a gumiho

5. Secret Garden 시크릿 가든

With a viewer rating touching sky-high, Secret Garden is like the creme-dela-creme of fantasy romcoms. The love story of Gil Ra-im, a stunt-woman and Kim Joo-won, the handsome CEO of a supermarket chain, is the classic tale of rich meets poor, with a twist. Their bickering and quarrelling leads to major attraction, when destiny plays it’s part. A strange turn of events results in them swapping bodies. Hyun Bin as the handsome and arrogant CEO and Ha Ji Won as the gutsy stunt-woman suit the roles perfectly. The side characters and parallel stories keep you glued to the show.

secret garden

Share with us your favourite before-GoT fantasy dramas and also if any of these could make it to your list! Till then, happy watching!

1. avinandan

fAb. article.

2. KDrama

How come Dae Jang-Geum (Jewel in the Palace) isn’t on the list?
    That’s one engaging show, popular from Iran to Zimbabwe!

More from Katyayini Kabir Kakar

By Hemraj P

By Vaishnavi Navalkar

By Divya Chopra