This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anshul Tewari. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Deepika Padukone Gives A Befitting Reply To Times Of India For Blatant Objectification

More from Anshul Tewari

By Anshul Tewari:

What is common between Times of India and journalism? Nothing! At a time when there is a consistent effort by many to tackle the blatant objectification of women by the mainstream media, ‘Times of India Entertain’ decided to objectify Deepika Padukone and reinforce the fact that the mainstream media has always played a role in objectifying women in India.

The tweet by @TOIEntertain read: “OMG: Deepika Padukone’s cleavage show!” with a video of Deepika, to which the actor gave a befitting reply:

She further called out the hypocrisy that mainstream media outlets like Times of India portray by talking about women empowerment on one end, and objectifying them on the other.

In reply to Deepika, Times of India Entertain’s tweet got major backlash from people all over Twitter.

Deepika had also recently come out openly in support of Shweta Basu Prasad.

Many activists, fellow actors and celebrities lashed out at TOI as well, supporting Deepika’s stand:

Mainstream media outlets have definitely played a role in the glorified objectification of women in the past. What makes it worse is that more often than not, media outlets fail to realize that such objectification leads to the growth of rape culture in India. For the longest, the media has looked away from such criticism and decided to go on with their reportage centered around women and their bodies, but times need to change.

Since the infamous December 16th Delhi gang-rape case, the reporting on rape has definitely grown and more and more cases are coming to light by the day, but is that it? Does reporting mean the end of the responsibility that the mainstream media needs to play when it comes to their idea of journalism? Definitely not! In times when religion, patriarchy and the status-quo decides how women should be and behave, the need is for the mainstream media to shatter these beliefs and systems that create a regressive culture for women by objectifying them.

However, the question is, can we expect a media revolution any time soon?

1. Damien Hanet

First tweet of TOI is unacceptable and second tweet of TOI is just pathetic.

2. balayogi

It is unfortunate but true that each media house nowadays clings on to some bias based the sponsors of some ideology or doctrine or political party presuming that they can take the public for a ride and this falsehood, falsification, scandalizing every situation or looking for scandals in everything, this is all the more pronounced in English media than in the vernacular versions. Fortunately in India, now statistically speaking the percentage of public who still pay for and read English media is very less and gradually and hopefully social media will eat up this portion also. On that day Indian public would have got rid off worthless media houses as it got rid off too corrupt a party in the election. In this comment I would like your media also to shed the biases predominantly Modi bashing, BJP bashing, Male bashing, portraying women as objects of some victim hood, Upper cast bashing, Hindu ritual bashing etc. I am neither a supporter of MODI, nor BJP nor upper cast etc but I have seen through the pulse of your media’s leftist ideology sponsored bias too striking to ignore. Instead in keeping with the name,Youthkiawaaz look at things, events, personalities with a rejuvenated spirit of evaluating on their intrinsic or contextual merits rather than pandering to some worthless ideological bias unless it is inevitable to sustain you commercially in which case you cannot avoid being so. it is a question of survival but then better not to survive like that.Think it over I also find many of your media’s writings very superficial much worse than social media exchanges

1. Amrit

Might I suggest that your energies are better spent in pointing out, specifically, what YKA reports that is untrue or dishonest. Labels such as “Modi Basher” or “Upper Caste Basher” carry no qualification. I am an “ISIS Basher” but does that automatically make ISIS bashing a wrong thing to do?

I look forward to your delineation of the exact areas where YKA does injustice to the idea of free and alternative journalism.

3. Amrit

I am, to be honest, a little ambiguous about the position taken by Deepika and the backlash against TOI. Here’s why:

1. This is not the first time a leading newspaper has resorted to titillation. So why the outrage now? How are we more offended when this happens to Deepika, but not if it happens to a Rakhee or a Poonam?

2. What has TOI done that is not done by Bollywood itself, in movie after movie and item song after item song? TOI Entertainment is bound to be a reflection of our entertainment culture and its tastes. There are entire media-outlets and ‘Bollywood Insiders’ that peddle wardrobe malfunctions and revealing moments. Frankly, I am more offended by an item number that has a white woman singing “Pat-ne waali hu” than by this incident.

3. When an actress/model gyrates in skimpy clothes and item numbers, she too is drawing attention to exactly what TOI has. How are such acts not included in our outrage? Should be not be equally offended by TOI as we are by Deepika’s Dum Maro Dum number? – I am not saying that we should be. I am only pointing out the questions I am trying to solve before taking a fixed stand on this issue.

4. Lest I misrepresent myself- I am NOT saying that women should not wear bold dresses! I am only questioning the self-righteousness of a celebrity actress who quite well understands what business she is.

5. To sum up- TOI’s act is obviously abhorrent. But it is also entirely in character with TOI. What is surprising is Deepika’s moral indignation and the hundreds that have joined her.

1. safi ahmed

True about the fact that times of India and many other newspapers and such portray and put similar articles and news every day . heck it has come to a stage where leading newspapers online websites have links to dirty videos and such on their pages. But just because its been happening , is happening ,will go on happening does not mean there is no right to speak against this . so what if deepika padukone did an item number . she did that out of her own free will . This was a sick degenerate waste of space news item which completely belittled her achievements and was put up by the very same people who run campaigns and portray themselves as the voice of the people . its simply trashy hypocritical journalism and has been done without the persons knowledge or consent . Deepika Padukone has all the right to speak up about anything that is written about her . And we seriously should not try to be logical in this kind of a situation and question it because even if there is a hint of right in what she is arguing about it should be supported .

2. Richa

You have a point… But what is actually being pointed out is that a newspaper.. something that reports major events throughout the world need not stoop as low as this. We expect such gimmicks from cheap tabloids which no one respects in the first place. But a newspaper? Now that is a major low… especially for a paper which apparently puts actual news on its priority list.

3. R.B.

Amrit,

Your points here are valid to a certain extent. However I believe you misunderstood the basis of the “backlash”.

Yes this isn’t the first time that a leading newspaper has published “news” as such, but it is one of the first few times that anyone, especially the woman being targeted, has spoken up about her issue with the article’s content. To clarify, she has expressed her outrage towards the fact that TOI has published the article regarding such a superficial matter. She seems to be more upset by the fact that anyone, and in particular India’s leading newspaper, feels the need to state the obvious (that women have breasts) and moreover spark unnecessary (and let’s not forget nationwide) attention over it. Breasts are literally a part of us women, and when you treat them as objects you inadvertently treat women as objects rather than human beings. I’m sure you can figure out why that is so offensive to us.

Additionally there are similarities and differences that need to be clearly laid out between newspaper industries and Bollywood. Both are highly influential forms of media, and while newspapers contain bits of entertainment, certain films address social issues in today’s world. However it should be noted that Bollywood caters to its audience in an attempt to please them visually and audibly (and even emotionally), while newspapers are meant to be an unbiased platform for exchange of information and current events. Hence, it isn’t unreasonable for anyone to become disturbed when India’s most prominent newspaper objectifies a targeted woman’s sexuality.

A woman has every right to express her mind and her body in any way she likes, because it belongs to her. Anyone who uses her body for their own benefit without her permission (this includes gawking at her, talking about her, etc.) has violated her, and has no right to do so.

4. Green Lantern

Is it any surprise that heroines today are climbing the ladder to success in Bollywood by revealing their “assets”.

R.B., your comment is a prime example of victimhood to promote sluthood.

5. Syca

Those acts are done out of choice and as a part of her JOB. This was done without her consent.
      I hope you are sensible enough to actually understand the difference.

6. Aishwarya Hegde

I think it’s extremely appalling that a news channel needs to talk about an actress’s body to keep audiences tuned in when there are several more alarming issues to be covered and telecasted. I don’t know if it’s the objectification that bothers me more or the fact that it’s a news channel that thinks it’s ‘intelligent’ audience will appreciate this piece of ‘news’. On the other hand, I think dee pika herself believe that her depiction as a skimpily clad dancer is what will make a movie sell. So I don’t see how it justifies them pointing fingers at each other when they both want a piece of the same cake.

4. Aishwarya

After reading this, I was just thinking that these media people have changed the definition. They are doing such stupid things, neglecting the important information which has to be given to the people, some news channels and their groups are also biased towards a political party.. And of course there is corruption. Their work is to just give the information, unbiased.

5. Gaurav

I’m a feminist. I believe showing off one’s own body or having sex is THE PERSON’S OWN BUSINESS.

While the TOI tactic was cheap, I’m not with Deepika Padukone for lashing out. You see, it is the very same actors who create this sad culture of objectifying women. And when they lash out, its pure hypocrisy.

1. Syca

So an actress lashing out to objectification of her personal being – when it is not a part of her JOB, and is done without her consent is hypocritical? My ass you’re a feminist.
      Go back to your dictionary and read the definition of each word you have used.
      I don’t think you know the meaning of “feminism” or “objectification”.
      Feminism doesn’t need hypocrites like you.

6. Ranjit

nice look

More from Anshul Tewari

By Dinesh Kumar

By Aaditya Kanchan

By Tuba Afreen