One Horrible Practice Has Been Ruining The Lives Of 1.4 Million Girls In India Every Year

Posted on September 23, 2014 in Sexism And Patriarchy, Society

By Kirrat Sachdeva:

While some plan their dream wedding to the very detail of infinite functions, some put off the wedding bells for paving their career paths. Some embark on journeys on self growth and introspection while some indulge in old school romance.

However, 47% of girls in India do not have any stake in deciding when and to whom they want to marry. 47% of girls in India are married before the age of 18 years and 22% of the girls in India have already given birth before they themselves turned 18.

The thought of safe guarding sexuality takes the form of matrimony for many girls. Sexual sanctity is intricately tied to the idea of honour and hence obliged to be preserved. This sexual preservation forces girls into enduring a relationship that has such emotional, psychological and sexual demands that are beyond the years of these young girls.

Globally speaking, India is one of the 10 countries with the highest rates of child marriage; 1 in 3 child brides live in India. Here is a statistical insight on how rampant the problem of early marriages is and how the severity of this issue needs more than just symptomatic treatment.

Featured image: UNFPA Asia