This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Dhruv Arora. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Sexistential Crisis: Lessons On Life From Honey Singh”s Music

More from Dhruv Arora

By Dhruv Arora:

Amidst the plethora of fantastic musicians that have cropped up from the great nation of India in the past few decades, there is one particular artist who has made a name for himself as one of the finest, most polished musicians and lyricists this world has ever seen. This particular artist comes from a very modest background and yet, is the embodiment of the rags-to-riches success story that many admire. He gave music for one of the biggest Bollywood films of 2012, and then went on to become a truly household name. The person I am talking about is Piyush Mishra, and you should listen to his music if you haven’t. However, this story is about Yo Yo Honey Singh.

deconstructing_honey_singh

Yo Yo Honey Singh, too, has repeatedly attempted to dispense advice on many matters that concern the youth of India. His songs cover a diverse range of subjects and have been on the subjects of biology, sociology, anthropology, and sometimes even zoology. Through this post, I will try to explore a few lessons I have come dangerously close to learning from Honey Singh’s art form, loosely defined as music.

The importance of Current Affairs, Journalism and News Media: High Heels

“Tujh jaisi toh pat jati hai
Phir durghatna ghat jati hai
Main hoon shikari kudiye
Khali mera waar nee jaata
Mujhko na pehchane kyun
Tere ghar akhbar nee aata”

In his recent smash hit titled ‘High Heels’, Mr. Singh expresses a strong concern for the frivolity with which the Indian youth approach issues that should matter to them. With what can only be interpreted as a slightly threatening note, the artist here tries to express his concern for the various dangers that the young people put themselves in the way of, in their quest to find true love. Mr. Singh then goes on to commentate on the sad state of journalism in this country and stresses on the importance of keeping oneself updated with what is going on. Mr. Singh obviously feels strongly about the impact of pop culture on the youth of India and even expresses strong concern when one of his potential devotees fails to recognize him.

Alcoholism, and Taking Responsibility for One’s Actions: Chaar Botal Vodka, Main Sharabi

“Main rahoon saari raat in the bar
Daaru piyun lagaatar
Ek aadhi sab pee lete hain
Main to piyun botal chaar”

If these lines hit home with you, you should thank Honey Jee for opening your eyes to the perils of drinking and drawing a stark contrast between light alcohol consumption and chronic alcoholism. Many people, especially those belonging to Mr. Singh’s primary target audience comprising of the youth belonging to certain northern regions of India, are not explicitly aware of alcoholism and wouldn’t consider addiction even if it gave them a hangover, which is why Honey Jee’s mention of and concern about these problems become even more important.

“Main sharabi, main sharabi
Main sharabi, main sharabi
Main sharabi, main sharabi
Main sharabi, main sharabi”

Here, once again, Mr. Singh lays emphasis on the importance of the “The first step to solving a problem is identifying that you have a problem” method of approaching alcoholism. Here, he fervently admits to not just being an alcoholic, effectively paving way for many of his worshippers to follow the footsteps of their critically critiqued fallen idol. One can only hope that Mr. Singh’s poignant message is accepted by the masses in the spirit that he originally intended.

“Seena jalta hai, Peena padta hai
Dard ghat ta hai, Jaam chadhta hai
Meri aankhon me mehboob mera
Sharaab likhta hai, sharaab padhta hai”

While most people would take a step back after admitting to alcoholism, Honey Jee does not want you to stop there. Honey Jee had a dream, that one day the youth of this country will stand up and scream to the skies that “Yes, I am an alcoholic”! This dream, much to his jubilation, is not far from realisation. In this verse, The Honeyman takes another step to educate the youth about the problem by going into the depths of problem analysis by carefully examining the symptoms, as a means to ensure that there is enough awareness about the problem at hand.

“I wanna hangover tonight
I wanna hangover tonight
I wanna hangover tonight
I wanna hangover tonight”

While most of the mainstream media has been concentrating on selling records by misleading the young people of India about the joys of consuming alcohol and/or various psychedelic and recreational drugs, in this poetic masterpiece, Mr. Singh tries to bring the youth’s attention back to the things that matter: the consequences. By expressing his desire to readily accept the consequences of consuming alcoholic beverages that very night as opposed to the next morning, I can only assume that Mr Singh is looking to utilize the literary tools of sarcasm and irony in order to highlight what he certainly feels is the biggest problems that is gripping the nation today.

Lessons in Philosophy, Apostrophe, and other such catastrophes: Sunny Sunny

“Aaj blue hai paani
Paani pani paani paani paani
Aur din bhi sunny
Sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny”

Philosophy is Mr. Singh’s strong suit, something that is aptly demonstrated by his poetic turns of phrase. There are a few deeper questions in life that many have tried to answer and failed miserably, and Honey Jee’s answer is one that makes the most sense and no sense at all at the same time. It is possible that it completely defies the concept of sense, which is, I suppose, the point. Instead of questioning why things are the way they are and challenging the status quo, Mr. Singh takes an almost simplistic perspective towards nature where he likes to just observe things.

An aggressive approach towards political parties and the coming of the new-age revolution: Party All Night

“Sun lo saari duniya waalon
Jitna bhi tum zor laga lo
Karenge party saari raat
Gaan* mein dum hai toh band karwa lo”

This country has, in the recent past, seen a massive uproar in political participation, and Mr. Singh does not fail to realize this fact. The artist takes a strong and aggressive (and some might say unreasonably rude) stance towards the political parties and youth participation in how this country is run. Mr. Singh takes a non-Gandhian stance towards politics and calls for young people to be relentless in their approach towards the government.

Contribution to world-changing technologies: Blue Eyes

“Ghar pe chalna hai ya pehle jayegi club,
Nahi mera matlab, Ghar ke Club,
Tab Lunga left, nahi to right”

Move over Google maps, we have a new navigation tool! This tool attempts to simplify the navigation experience into a non-pretentious existential choice that the passenger might need to make by breaking it down into a simple directional analysis. This game changing idea is also much more functional for the Indian youth than all existing technologies, because it removes all other destination options in favour of the only two that Mr. Singh expects the young to care about. We haven’t seen such an innovation since Steve Jobs, and I am sceptical that we ever will. Evolution has its limits.

Final words, Conclusion

Through the course of this article, you may have got the feeling that I am against Mr. Honey Singh, even though the entire article is a broad interpretation of why people should pay more attention to him, and consequently, the world. In all honesty, I feel Mister Yo Yo is actually quite skilled at making people dance, and his music is definitely a breath of fresh air. My only beef lies with the actual lyrics, and till they are more, well, sensible, I shall continue my quest to extract whatever philosophical lessons from Mr. Singh as I can.

tl;dr: Good Music, Bad Lyrics, Unintentional Philosophical Genius.

1. devanshi shah

am sorry. i thought this would be indeed funny due to sarcasm. but this just so boring! blaahhhhh

1. Prateek Mathur

Well, it was funny!!

2. Veda Nadendla

Completely agreed. This was hilarious. I didn’t know that this was bottom line to all of his music. I am definitely a better person now. Thank you for writing this. (Insert: L-O-L)

2. Babar

Rare to see someone voicing their opinion against alcohol consumption.

3. Babar

Honey Singh’s videos showcasing scantily dressed girls use sex as a marketing tool. You tell women to dress sexy in the name of liberation and fashion industries profit by earning billions. Fill women with false notions of beauty, bombard them with pictures of scantily dressed women in fashion shows, TV, billboards, magazines, movies, and music videos, and women start
    spending heavily on clothes and start using dieting products even at the cost of suffering from anorexia. You tell people to have transient sexual relationships in the name of liberation and the profits of companies manufacturing contraceptives skyrocket. Today, perfectly young, beautiful girls are lining up for plastic surgery, spending billions in the process. From beauty and contraception to diet and fashion industries, all are earning enormous amounts of money while women remain deluded and continue to pour money into the pockets of those who have infiltrated their minds through lies and deceit. One fashion brand is named FCUK, do I need to say more.

1. Voice of reason

@Babar – can you be any more ignorant and idiotic, i mean are you mentally stable.
      This article is a sarcastic take on Honey Sighs Lyrics and you start with women wearing skimpy dresses and then go on braking about how they spend on cosmetics…
      Dude please grow up , read the article and then comment. Also please develop an open mind, more then one sexual partner is a persons personal choice, but who wants to waste time arguing with you.

also FCUK is French Connection UK you morromn

2. Babar

Ananya, my comments are relevant to the article. When movies, music videos, magazines, TV, billboards, etc, will feature women in skimpy clothing, girls today will follow suit, spend huge amounts in the process. I reiterate – it is a marketing gimmick, a business strategy to earn enormous amounts of money.

Voice, Honey Singh’s music videos do feature scantily dressed women. As for FCUK, it is a fashion brand. Google it if you are unsure.

3. Ananya

Do you just give the same reply everywhere irrespective of what the article is about? I just read the article on TOI claiming that Deepika padukone was asking for it and you have written the same thing. N to be frank it makes no sense in either context. Its like you said “Arre an article about an actress’s consent. I have to write about transient sexual relations and plastic surgery. Cool, an article about lyrics showcasing misogyny. Anorexia and billboards are gonna make for a compelling read in the reply.”
      Even if you disagree, say something of consequence.

4. Manish

Mr Babar.

Now you have clearly made a ‘bakra’ out of yourself. We have been following your antics for a while.

I recognised your copy-paste response. There is a lot of answering you need to do if you go through the reactions to your sad, biased commentary on women and the clothes they wear that you have done on other articles.

And Ananya, please don’t fume and fret over him.I think I have an idea over the kind of person he is..

He has certain ingrained beliefs that he thinks are perfect and true in every sense. He will turn a blind eye to what anyone else says. He will refuse to change his thinking even after noticing that almost all of his comments are being thrown out of water. In the eye of his mind he will picture all of you “women/girls” talking this “nonsense” and being so “ignorant”. He will finally give up on us but continue his crusade of trying to carry his message elsewhere to check if anybody listens.

4. asd

Speaking against Honey Singh is all good, but writing an entire article on lame and stupid sarcasm of a 15 year old? Please YKA, improve your falling content quality. I had to go through 2 verses before realising this is a complete waste of time. Articles like these might be ok on a personal blog but please refrain from posting banal articles on social forums.

5. AMAN

Common …There is always Good and Bad in every art be it music ,dancing acting ,lyrics etc..When we talk about music and lyrics gone are the days of meaning full music and lyrics with pure voice…today people love advanced music and out of them many love rapping,and bad musiclyrics no one takes music as a teaching lesson….Have u ever heard the snopp doggs…or Jasons or 50 cents …all they talk is dirty and sex ..but the point is in rapp jonner you cant expect a good heart touching lyrics or a romance ..Just like in belly or cabra dance you cannot expect a Bharat natyam decency and expressions…..It is all about choice if you do not like do not listen ..

6. Arpittiwari

My life music

More from Dhruv Arora

By India Film Project Asia's Largest Content Festival

By Gulraj Bedi

By haritha kr