This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akhil Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“Will Adding A 2 Inch Sleeve Make Me Respectable?”, This Video Reveals The Naked Face Of Violence

More from Akhil Kumar

‘Two Inch Sleeves’ features the voices of two young women from Delhi. The first is the youngest of three daughters and the first amongst her sisters to be allowed to attend a day college that involves her leaving home every day on her own to attend Delhi University. She is 19 years old. The second is 26 years old, a young mother of two and teacher in a local NGO. Both the women live in a large low-income semi-urban community in Delhi.

Regardless of the type of violence experienced or the circumstances surrounding it, most victims keep their abuse secret and never seek help. Norms that support violence can be used to justify violent behaviour and practices, excuse perpetrators’ actions and blame victims for events while trivializing or minimizing their suffering.

Understanding the norms that govern a society can provide clues to the underlying causes of violence and how it can be prevented. They are the unspoken rules that govern what is and what is not acceptable behaviour and how individuals and groups should interact. These unspoken rules also govern what is not said.

Among girls ages 15 to 19, almost one-fourth said they had been the victims of “some form of physical violence since age 15,” according to a report issued on September 4th 2014, by the United Nations’ children’s agency, UNICEF. One in 10 girls worldwide have been forced into a sexual act, and six in 10 children ages 2 to 14 are regularly beaten by parents and caregivers. They said they suffered most at the hands of the men to whom they were closest. In countries as varied as India and Zambia, for instance, more than 70 percent of girls named their current or former husbands or partners as the perpetrators of physical violence against them.

What is the key factor that stops you from reporting someone who harasses you, especially in public places in the city?

Drop your answers in the comment box below.

To know more about what I think of this video, follow me on twitter at @Akhil1490

1. Veda Nadendla

The girl who speaks in the video has absolutely driven the point home. This was such an effortlessly shot video, yet so powerful. Thank you for sharing this.

As far as your question goes. There was once that I didn’t raise my voice against something that happened. It was in a train that goes form Chennai to Vijayawada. We had booked 2nd A/C and by default our entire bogie ended up being non a/c 2nd tier which was shocking for my mum and I because we had never travelled with the windows open in a train. We took it in turns to fall asleep because we wanted to be on alert if anyone came near our luggage.

Around 2:30 I was reading a book sitting awake in the lower side birth when out of nowhere there was a hand pressed and grabbing my breast. When I looked up, it was the husband who came with his newly wed wife, wearing red bangles and all. I screamed *What the f**k* really loudly and he just shrugged and walked off. I didn’t know if I should wake anyone up or say anything. The only reason I didn’t was because I was afraid no one would believe me. Stupid as I feel about it now, it was a genuine concern back then.

1. Rachit

Dear veda,

Thank you for sharing. I don’t think you should feel stupid about the whole incident. As you pointed out, it’s a genuine concern that not only affects women but also men. We live in a society where we are not allowed to talk about such things. Where molestation, abuse, teasing is a considered to be a normal experience. But, it’s time we spoke about it and discuss about issues of gender and sexuality.

2. Ambar

A Shakespeare said,” The world is a stage.” I personally feel.. rather its a stage of the circus, where even the wildest of the wild in a person has been trained either through a hunter or a small candy from the very childhood. Any one who deviates from the norm is called abnormal. Therefore the wild in the girl has been trained by teachings of suppression which stops a girl to respond. This training has slowed the reflexes of response. Even if somebody wants to responds, the reflexes have been slowed down though years of training— with an intention to act normal— to the extent that even when a girl has the courage to act, due to slow reflex mechanisms the response is slow. In the mean time the situation passes away without a response.
    The idea that girls are epitome of tolerance and sacrifice should be changed.

3. Babar

Beauty and fashion industries have benefitted from a marketing gimmick, and earned millions of dollars after bombarding girls with images of scantily dressed women in movies, music videos, TV, magazines, billboards, etc.

4. Rajni

sub sirf piche se bolte hai aage bolne ki himmat kisi mai bhi nhi hai.mere hisab se koi 100 mai se ek hogi jise kisi ne molest ya abuse na kiya ho .mai khud in sab cheezo ki shikar ho chuki hu .mai 11th class mai thi aur bus mai ja rhi thi,bas mai jyaada tar school k hi bache they ,jyaada ter meri class mate .ek aadmi aaya aur usne track suit phena hua tha aur meri sit k pass aaker apna pyjaama aage se niche kiya aur jyaada ter vha khade sabhi dekh rhe they.mujhe bhut gussa aayausney apna penis mere haath per touch kiya .mai cheelai per kisi ne koi saath nhi diya .mere chillaane se vo wha se bhaag to gya .per baad mai sabne mera mazak udaaya .sharm aati hai aisi ladkiyo per jo mere saath padti thi .ager aap kuch ker nhi sakte to aapko kuch galat bolne ka bhi koi hak nhi hai.

1. Saheb Chadha

I feel sorry for you. Our society is sick, twisted. Hypocritical. Cowardly. It lacks empathy. We need ethical studies in schools. A whole course on ethics that will instill in students how to behave. Unless it happens to one of their own, they will never fúcking understand. I have two elder sisters, and I know how you feel. The uncivilized nature of men like these infuriates me to no end. I feel really sorry for you.
      Regards,
      A 16 year old guy living in New Delhi.

More from Akhil Kumar

By Akhil Kumar

By Akhil Kumar

By Akhil Kumar