This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rohit Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Isn’t It Time We Admitted Something’s Terribly Wrong With Our Schools?

By Rohit Kumar:

I was talking to some friends about the value of discipline and the implications of the same when we lack it in our society. A friend proposed — fear from an authority has successfully induced a sense of discipline and responsibility, even if it’s not sustainable. Is that not better than not having it at all? In such a case, what is the role of democracy? Would some stricter laws and their implementation not help? People need to behave, and for that, if force is the only option, why not use it to discipline them a bit?

Picture credits: lecercle
Picture credits: lecercle

I wonder whose definition of discipline we are seeking, especially when we talk about it with respect to a social suffering or people’s movement. For some, lighting the candles at India gate may be an act of indiscipline. For others, it’s a representation of their angst and call for justice. For some, walking colorfully dressed in the LGBT Pride March may be indiscipline. For others, it’s the actualization of their identity and a demand for respect for their being. In my understanding, even rape is not as much an act of sexual assault as it is an act of indiscipline in response to power imbalance. If I put myself in a victim’s place, all I see is a heinous crime. It indeed is. However, for a moment if I slip into the skin of any of those men, what do I see of myself? The first question is, why did I rape? Why could I not control the want of such a sadist act? Why did such a want arise in the first place? Why are women and children — both boys and girls, and old people, being assaulted, left, right, and center? Is it really about gender – or let me ask, is it only about gender? Or is it more about a deep apathy — to anything that is not “I”?

I fear if any progressive action will arise from our discussions without looking at these questions. I think our current social framework (which is heavily derived from capitalism) has accentuated our desperation to institute this “I” so much that we don’t empathize any more. Even when we do charity, it is more for our self-actualization than anything else. We don’t put ourselves in others’ shoes, not really. We want the best for our own feet. And in want of those perfect shoes for ourselves, we cheat others, abuse others, rape others- and even kill them. It is this want to get the best shoes for ourselves, that we have let a skewed up education system exist for so long. We want better schooling for “our” kids, and let others go for whatever useless schooling is left over. And when those “others” don’t behave in better ways than us, we say, “Oh, they are such an undisciplined lot!” We suffer from this interesting paradox, where on one hand, we don’t want to let other people think and reason, lest we won’t be able to rule over them. On the other hand, we want them to think and behave rationally.

Have we ever wondered what went wrong in the upbringing of those six men that they committed themselves to do what they did? Were they born to be rapists? Do we ever reflect as parents of children who commit such errors in their lives, as to what is our role in what they do? By raising these questions, I am not saying that those whose crime is proven should not be punished. They must be. All I am saying is that we, you and I, are also responsible, in whatever happened or might be happening to some other girl, or even a boy, in some other bus, train, home, and elsewhere at this moment when you are reading this.

And why do I say that? Because we are too busy with irrelevant things. Because we never question what our children are being equipped with, in the name of education — not just in our schools, but in our homes, playgrounds, streets, the roadside posters, movies, television, and wherever there is an opportunity to learn. No, I am not saying that we start censoring every aspect of our child’s life. Rather, I am asking a different question. How often we select a school because it enables our children to start making rationale and just choices? A school that helps our children make sense of the world with their conscience? How often do we look beyond the infrastructural and academic facilities of a school? How many parents actually engage with the school of their children (and just attending PTA meetings is not engagement!)? How many times do we question if the school has clear goals for gender sensitization, or sexuality education, or social conscience building, or any such thing, while selecting a school for our children? It doesn’t really simply start in a bus on a Delhi road. It starts very well in the male washroom walls and doors where our children draw a vagina and a penis in the most obscene form. It’s not just exploration. If exploration has to happen, it should happen in the classroom and drawing rooms, and not the washrooms. But do we have any clue as to what is happening in our schools? Well, to a good extent, whatever we want to happen, is happening.

So, what do we seek for while selecting a school? If we are from an upper economic class, we check for a swimming pool and a tennis court. If we are from the middle class, we look for the urgent attention on academics that we have come to believe will change our state of affairs. And if we are from the lower economic class. Oh forget it. Who cares? And the major problem here is not what we choose, but that we come from a class. Because it is our sense of class identity that defines what we want and ask for. Our consumption of educational experiences is class-based. But do we realize that our social transactions in open society are, in fact, not? And if we agree that our educational experiences shape up what we do when we grow up, doesn’t it boil down to the fact that everyone should get a similar quality of educational experience before we expect them to behave in a similar fashion?

Check this. In the Quality Education Study, released by Educational Initiatives Pvt. Ltd., a large majority of students think that it is ok not to consider others’ convenience if done only once in a while, or if they do not complain, or if one is clear that laws are not being broken. About 40-43% of students in classes 4, 6, and 8 felt that education for a girl is not as important a responsibility towards the family, if a choice has to be made between a boy or girl child in providing education; boys are to be preferred over girls. Some of them also felt that in the long run, educating a girl is a waste of resources. The report also tells us that over 60% of time, even in these schools, is spent on only academic learning. From the remaining, most of it is utilized for other co-scholastic learning. There is no clear mention of any engagement at the levels of social justice and conscience building. And here’s the twist. These are the “top” private schools that India has- the ones that almost everyone in our country would aspire to send their children to.

In my entire educational experience, I learnt English, Math, Science, and even a funny subject called Social Studies where I only parroted the dates certain people fought on, or certain boundaries that some political leaders have drawn. I could see gender discrimination, sexual abuse, religion and caste based discrimination, stereotyping, and class struggles all around me. But I could never make sense. And no one ever talked about it formally. Whatever I learnt, I did so from my peers who were equally clueless. It was not even decent to talk about any of these. “Tum in sab pe dhyaan mat do. Padhai me mann lagao” (Don’t bother about these things. Focus on your studies.) was the typical response from family and teachers. And just so that you should know, I went to one of the ‘good’ schools in India. I wonder – what was the padhaai, which was so critical, that nothing else was addressed?

Over the years, I have come to believe that our educational experience has a necessity of building a social conscience. “Preventing conflicts is the work of politics; establishing peace is the work of education,” said Maria Montessori. We don’t exist as isolated atoms in the scheme of things. However independent we would like to assume that we are, even when we excrete in the morning in our closed toilets, it is a social transaction, as there’s someone getting into that stinky sewer when it chokes. And we need to respect that. If a girl is travelling in a late night bus, it is not a sexual advance. She is just travelling late. We need to respect that.

And this is the kind of discipline that I would like to see being developed in our schools. For me, the fear of being punished for not walking in a line is not discipline. Because sooner rather than later, the fear will go, and I will break the line. However, when we discipline our behavior by developing our conscience, it is expected to stay on. So it’s not as much about stricter laws. It’s not even so much about government’s failure to provide safe spaces or transports. These institutions are as weak or strong as we are. The victim’s friend told a news channel, “We were without clothes. We tried to stop passersby. Several auto rickshaws, cars and bikes slowed down, but none stopped for about 20 to 25 minutes.” Don’t we see that all those who just passed these victims that night did contribute to her death, however minuscule the contribution be – along with the rapists, the ineffective police, slow hospitals, and irresponsible government? No, we don’t see that. And we don’t care to see that. Because that points a finger at us — the people.

I think next time when we get angry because of what happened in that bus, we need to think about what kind of education our child or sibling, or any other child is receiving. And we should ask some different questions. Some tough questions. That may help save a girl in some other bus or train.

1. just a human with no gender,no religion and no nationality

Well written Rohit!!!
    I hope all parents, all teachers all adults and especially all children come across this.

2. Babar

How many times do we question if the school has clear goals for gender sensitization, or sexuality education, or social conscience building, or any such thing, while selecting a school for our children?

I am compelled to agree.

Feminism Shames Young Male Students

Elementary School Bias Against Boys Sets Them Up For Failure

Eliminating Feminist Teacher Bias Erases Boys’ Falling Grades

Why Boys Are Now The True Victims Of Discrimination

Boys Being Failed By Our Schools

1. An In-Your-Face Liberal

You’re right. The primary socialization of young children often takes place at homes and schools (those who can go to school, anyway- not too many girls).
      Homes, particularly traditional family systems are the sites of direct patriarchy (a system which privileges the the lives, rights, and autonomy of boys/men over those of girls/women. You’re welcome.) Having been conditioned to (even subconsciously) conform to patriarchal norms, is it really shocking that women participate in patriarchy? But don’t worry, feminists are here to help the world by changing this toxic status- quo.
      And before you go off about how feminists are “breaking” families apart (as you generally like to), here’s some food for thought for you- if families are horrible and impart “values” which turn children into ignorant bigots like yourself, feminists are doing the world a favour by destroying this system.

2. Babar

The majority of children out of school are boys who work as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, woodcutters, car mechanics, in lock factories, as street vendors, pull rickshaws, and in every state across India, hundreds of thousands of boys do not have a chance to go to school. Overall, millions of boys in India are deprived of an education in India which they richly deserve.

3. Babar

…we need to think about what kind of education our child or sibling, or any other child is receiving.

Most primary school teachers, and even secondary school teachers are women. I wonder what kind of education they are providing our children, or if they are providing education at all. Most are housewives, who spend their time gossiping in the staffroom, reach their classes late, who are there to pass their time, and consequently earn meagre salaries – and then they whine about an imaginary gender wage gap, comparing their pay with men who have toiled for years for their Ph.D.

4. Templetwins

A typical byproduct of the so called social science with his own myopic view of the society. Parents with low poverty would rather educate their son instead of daughter, because boys/men are better labors than girls and most brothers would spend their life earnings to financially stabilize the whole family and accept the financial burdens of marrying their sisters to a good family. These are the ground realities rather than some patriarchal oppression. Do I want men/boys to take up the financial burdens on their shoulders alone? Definitely not, but we are not going to achieve it by misinterpreting what is happening.

Having been conditioned to (even subconsciously) conform to patriarchal norms, is it really shocking that women participate in patriarchy?

Typical expression of hypoagency again. Every female action is a result of the patriarchy; the patriarchy is omnipresent and unwavering; it poisons, corrupts, and commands the pure and unsuspecting woman-folk while elevating all men to undeserved levels of power and success. It excuses them for any harm they do to others and to themselves, those poor women who have no agency over anything is simply brainwashed by the boogeyman the ‘patriarchy’.

I guess since many schools academia is already engulfed with religious ideologues, now these social scientist(so they call themselves) want to infringe their own feminist based ideologues to brainwash the upcoming generations by propagating gynocentrim as its core value and in turn demonizing masculinity (toxic masculinity).

When we take the life of a little boy or girl, their perspective is skewed based on the feminine value. You take any nursery school, it is a female-dominated environment, at home most children are under the care of their mother, so most of their lives are surround by values/perspective from that of women. The gynocentric toxicity starts at early stage and most of the tv serials which they watch also give them the female perspective as they are made for women generally.

This puts boys/men in a position to have less regard for themselves and worship anything female. We remember keenan and santos who risked their lives for some girl, yet media was all about the victimization of women, rather than the death of young men. Even when they give up their life, men aren’t seen worthy as a human beings, rather they are worthy for what they could do for women/society. Men/boys have to unlearn the brainwashing they received at the younger age to free themselves from their servitude towards the society/women. Only then they can truly be free.

We’re a generation of men raised by women. I’m wondering if another woman is really the answer we need – Tyler Durden.

5. Harsh Doshi

Check out my views on the Indian education system
    http://finebakedbread.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/what-india-actually-needs/
    on my blog.

More from Rohit Kumar

By Katha

By Javed Abidi Foundation

By Siddharth Mohan Roy