This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mayank Jain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Mob Beats Up 3 Black Men In Delhi Metro Station: Are We Standing Up for Women Or Just Being Racist?

More from Mayank Jain

By Mayank Jain:

The lines of justice and crime are fast blurring in the national capital of the country and there is enough evidence to prove the same. People have taken up crimes to meddle with their own sense of ‘justice’. Suddenly, the society as a whole is justifying actions which end up doing more harm than correcting any wrongs in the first place.

This recent YouTube video shows Delhi’s Rajiv Chowk metro station filled with people showcasing the naked face of a mob lynching culture that we have ended up cultivating. The victims of the reckless beating in this case were three black men who were allegedly “misbehaving with women”. That was it and the video shows how people in the crowd took the matter in their own hands to teach them a lesson and started beating them up with fists, sticks, chairs and whatever they could find. The highlight? They can be heard shouting slogans like “Bharat Mata ki Jai”, as if the act was something we could boast about in the shiny ‘Incredible India’ billboards!

Mob Lynching: Incredible India, Indeed

The unfortunate incidence has once again brought us back to the uncomfortable starting point where we need to rethink our stand on issues. It’s time to demarcate what counts as standing up for women and what counts as blatant racism. The case in point is one with probable racial undertones as the men denied passing ‘lewd comments’ and the women haven’t filed any complaint yet. The video shows them trying to seek shelter in the police post. They were looking for some protection from the angry crowds, but to no avail. Police personnel were clearly left helpless in the aggression of the mob. The men are seen climbing up on the roof of the post to escape the sticks. However, some people managed to pull them down, just so that they could beat them up easily.

Why weren’t we Standing up for Women Earlier?

Another question that needs answering is our stand on violence against women. Are we standing up for women by beating up ‘alleged’ culprits in broad daylight? Suddenly, we seem to be going the Somnath Bharti way by becoming perpetrators first, while dealing with alleged crime.
There have been scores of movements against women harassment in public places but rarely do we see people come up with such fervour to protest and demand policy level changes. Give us a chance to beat people up without any authority and subsequent responsibility, and we will pounce on the culprit and end up making him the victim of our inherent bias and racism.

Inherently Racist: Can we do anything Beyond our First Instincts?

Indians have proven to be the most racist people in the world by studies one after the other. There have been cases of racism both against people from other parts of the world and also against our very own people. Our behavioural biases come to the fore in such instances. We end up discriminating against people from North-east India to the point of beating them up like in Nido Tania’s case. In other cases, we see instances where we deny our properties and spaces for people from ‘other’ countries.

The case has once again opened up questions that we will be ashamed to answer on racism and how we respond to offenses. Though the unfortunate scar of veiling racism as ‘activism’ won’t be washed off in the near future.

ALSO READ: India has Been Ranked As One Of The Most Racist Countries In The World, Here’s What Makes Us So

1. Babar

Isn’t it ironic that while women spend all their time male bashing, they need men to stand up for them in their fight against rape? This is because it is a woman’s natural inclination to want love and protection. However, feminists don’t want women to follow their natural instincts because that would mean peace and harmony would prevail, which is detrimental for the feminist cause. Feminists want to divide and rule. They want to create a war between the sexes so that they can get attention and funding. In the early 1960s, it was the Rockefellers who funded feminism to send women in the workforce and earn tax dollars, today feminists are funded by governments, feminist activists, and various pro-feminist groups to keep their equality propaganda alive.

1. Fem

Women do not need men to stand up ‘for’ them. They need met to stand up ‘with’ them. We don’t need protectors. We need partners. And anyway your comment is as usual off the context here. The mob was incited not by women. Please read the text. Women haven’t filed a complaint yet. There’s nothing to suggest that they implored the crowd to help them. So lets not assume.

2. Babar

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle – Gloria Steinem (Feminist).

Women need partners, someone who shelters them, someone whose car they drive, someone who pays for their shopping, food, clothes, accessories, buys them gifts, remembers their birthday, cares for them, loves them, pampers them, and it goes on – but a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

3. rishita

I’ve been a student of human rights and gender…. i’ve seen many people who speak without an understanding of what feminism is… but by far i’ve not seen a more loose or should i say, flawed understanding of feminism as your’s…!

4. Avanni

Well Babar, one, as Fem said, you’re off the context here!
      READ it properly, know what happened and then comment.
      Second, what women want doesn’t matter.
      But YOU certainly NEED help.

Now, love, attachment, care, all these are human needs. Women want them and women get them because men want them too! We are all human here and we all understand that, I can’t say about you.

and ‘like a fish needs a bicycle??’ haha really?

5. Fem

“A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle – Gloria Steinem (Feminist).”

We already know she is a feminist, without you educating us. And yes! Exactly! Woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

-Women need partners (Fem: Men too),

-someone who shelters them (Fem: Correction – Someone who cares for them),

-someone whose car they drive (Fem: They are capable of having own cars. I have. Most of my female friends have. In some households its the husband who do not have a car and drives the wife’s car),

-someone who pays for their shopping, food, clothes, accessories, (Fem: The ones who are earning pays for their own shopping, food, clothes, accessories. The ones who are not earning work hard at home and yet do not take these for granted),

-buys them gifts, remembers their birthday, cares for them, loves them, pampers them (Fem: Same goes for men, They get gifts too, their birthdays are remembered, are cared/loved/pampered for)

-but a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. (Fem: And yes it does stand.We need men to love us and care for us. If we can’t have it then we do not need him. They are not our life source that we can’t live without them.)

6. Babar

You obviously don’t know the meaning of the word ‘shelter’. The quote “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle” was meant to eradicate marriage, but you have mentioned that you need love and care. Quite a contradiction. Also, it is a fact that women marry men richer than them, earning more than them, and look to marry men who are ‘well-settled’, so that they can live luxuriously, courtesy of their husbands.

7. Fem

You are disillusion Baber. Tell me – Do you also hear voices in your head?

8. Jerin

Feminism is a complex movement and philosophy. There are radical feminists who are against marriage but those are just extreme views of certain people in the movement. The base ideas though are that women are equal to men and have the same rights and access to opportunities. Feminism is strongly against patriarchy. And those feminists who are against marriage are feminists who see marriage as a tool of patriarchy and a means of subjugation of women. A majority of feminists do not because a majority of feminists are married. Any woman who has stood up for her rights in any way, be it by going to work, by speaking out, by wearing what she wants or by wresting back control of her body is a feminist whether she calls herself one or not. We see millions of such women around us and they are all married. There are also I believe men who call themselves feminist because they believe women and men have equal rights. I am one such person. And I am for marriage.

The Steinem quote being used here is being used out of context. The operative word here is not fish or bicycles, it’s ‘need’. The quote basically says that women do not need men. Which is true. We need food, water, shelter, clothing and most importantly love. I think what Steinem was trying to say was that women don’t ‘need’ a man for any of this. She is quite capable of fending for herself, being financially independent and finding love on her own.

2. Rasika

I have something to say Mr. Writer ,
    Where were these police at the time of Nirbhaya case or the Kairlanjii Case happened in Maharashtra and the list is big ??? Why not be shameful about that! !!!
    I think this incident would be a life lesson for not only the people who passed lewd comments over the girl but also for the people who even will try to misbehave with any women.
    We need aware and alert citizens and not the mute people on earth who would later participate in rallies with candles to support !!!!
    By defending the action you are actually encouraging the evil people> instead teach them a lesson and make them think before the eve tease anyone !!!!
    if you want your sisters,mother,daughters and female friends to feel safe on this earth ,
    you need stand up for their safety !!!
    P.S : I really feel sorry when people talk about being human with such people how tolerable

1. Aquif

My Simple question to you Rasika…..In Delhi thousands of Delhiites pass lewd comments on girls…But nobody cares…..3 black men do it….And suddenly everyone is there to beat them up? Why not localites? Are they afraid of localities?? Or just biased towards them? Or its okay if a local teases a girl? Am certainly not saying we should let go eve teasers…..But why just black men? And especially at Metro station with the police around, was it even worth doing it? they could have simply reported things to police officer and filed an FIR. Either action would have been initiated against them or they would have been deported to their country…..No what? news papers in their respective country must be carrying headline….3 Black men thrashed by Indians……Is that we want to show to the world????

2. 12

hahah

3. Jagan

Dear Rasika,
      Do you want the attitude of male chauvinism removed so that female chauvinism be practiced? What do you meant when you say it’s fine when a couple of guys are beaten up for Whatever they ‘ve done.. I don’t know the incident totally and I’m sure you don’t too, and even if it’s the worst case scenario that the guys ‘ve molested a girl, I don’t think it’s the duty of the MOB of ACTIVISTS to beat them up. I have a lot of friends who speak loads of MORAL POLICING are the first to comment about a lady passing by.

I’m sure no one is born or brought up to get involved in such but the circumstances lead us there. I myself have felt kinky things pleasurable and when horny fantasize a lot of activities off very normally dressed normally looking women. And I don’t ‘ve a track record getting involved in one so far. My point here is our imagination can take us anywhere no matter who you are and it applies for everyone and taking a stand without even looking into the roots of the issue handled is dumb.

I personally feel an urge the moment I am around an attractive woman many a times and that ‘s the way nature works and I’m pretty sure it works the other way around too. And I’m sure I’m perfectly alright with some way of communicating the same in a way not bothering the recipient and I believe that’s the way something called LOVE (not the way many interpret this word these days) can thrive in a healthy society. As long as we are not going to come out of these shackles in the name of culture, there is no point in beating up few untoward victims and instilling fear in the society so that one has to overcome a lot of hurdles to even live a normal life.

Coming to feminism, I don’t know the meaning of the term but I truly believe ideologies of the ones who call themselves such takes the meaning of the term. And so far, most of the ones I came across who call them Feminists had a deep hatred for males and indulge in activities men do just for the sake of proving something that women are no less even without their own interests in such stuff which makes them more idiotic than rational. There is this kind of thoughts like Women are slender and similar such instilled deep inside us not just men. And it’s quite natural to take advantage of whatever possible means because that’s the way “Survival of the Fittest” works and it makes sense when we are in an even society, but for now we are diverse and women no longer live inside homes forever. So, it’s time that we work together rather than competing each other and move forward.

3. karna

well this news is about racism and all of you are mostly talking about woman

4. MajorBS

Not surprised this happened in North India. Obviously color is a big thing in Delhi. The way people look at you if you are dark itself is that of utter contempt. Not to mention if you are black, no matter who you are, you can be Kanye West for that matter, if someone picks a fight with you, people will join his side.

More from Mayank Jain

By AgentsofIshq

By PRIA (Participatory Research in Asia) India

By Kritika Nautiyal