This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nanditha Sankar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Remembering The Unheard, Nameless, And Faceless Heroes Who Once Changed Our Lives

More from Nanditha Sankar

By Nanditha Sankar:

The first celebrated hero in China was a civil engineer. He lost his father because the man was unsuccessful in devising a method to check the fury of the great destroyer, The Yellow River, from flooding the lands. The responsibility for the same passed upon the shoulders of the son — The Great Yu . He toured the entire length and breadth of the River and devised the formation of channels. This was not just a revolutionary idea in terms of novelty. Building canals meant that it required a large-scale engineering process. It could not be carried out with a handful of tribes. Yu’s plan required a large number of warring tribes to come together, cast aside their differences for a greater cause — that of saving their fates from the fury of the lashing waters. The plan was a success and Yu was anointed as Yu The Great. He did not renege on the promise he had made his wife — to step foot into his home only after he had succeeded. Even though this required him to stay away from home for 13 long years, the Great Yu , according to Chinese legends, became a legend thereafter.

Chauvet caves

Not everyone outside of China knows the Great Yu. Far lesser known are stories of men and women around the world, faceless and nameless, who, at some point in history, changed our lives. Rewind to about 32,000 years ago. Inside the Chauvet caves in France, a few people decided to chalk out drawings of the animal kingdom — horses, mammoths, bison and 5000 years later, more drawings followed. The explorers who visited the caves vouch for the freshness of the paint — they look as if they were etched out recently. Lost are the faces of these artists, possibly some of the first ever in recorded history. Hidden in oblivion are their faces, unless of course some of them pull a Man From Earth on us (The movie The Man From Earth is a story of the life of a man who claims he has been living since 14,000 years and borne witness to all major events that shaped modern history).

Similar to the Chauvet caves are the hand paintings in Argentina. There is nothing which shows one’s presence and identity more than the trace left by our hands. Unique as they are, handprints are often used to fill up spaces, as simple substitutes when in dearth of ideas and even as stamps of identity in the case of thumb prints. Like in the case of the cave paintings, we know not who they were or what propelled them into creating those prints. We can vicariously relive their lives by joining hand to hand but their faces will remain alien to us.

Throughout time, there are many such nameless and faceless beings who have shaped the course of our lives. Hardly any of us would know that the Idukki Dam in Kerala, one of the largest arch dams in the world, was built after Shri Kolumban, a tribal chief, led the engineers to a spot which saw water gushing forth from a space between two hills. The Dam lights up an entire state, thanks to Shri Kolumban, who has a name and face, but nevertheless, forgotten.

Great deeds do not come from the famous alone. A million years from now, there is a chance that the legends of today will be forgotten. Akin to the cavemen who created the cave paintings, the person who invented the first ever needle made of bone and saved the people of those times from a deadly Ice Age, or the first ever farmers; the faces of today will be lost in oblivion. What remains a comforting fact is the belief that someone in the future will understand that they were living, breathing people who contributed to a butterfly effect.

1. Gaurav

I want to ask a simple question. how many chinese are proud of chanakya or charaka or sushruta ? not a single, why would the chinese worship indian scientists, doctors, mathematicians ? dont the chinese have their own heroes, leaders, philosophers, doctors, dont the chinese take pride in their heroes? of course they do, that is why you would never find chinese writers writing about india, but the indians always glorify the foreigners because they have not been taught to take pride in the men and women who have made a significant contribution to the indian civilisation.

1. Nanditha

This is NOT about nationalities. It is about celebrating the greatness of beings of whom we have heard little of and will probably never hear because we hardly take time to think of them .

2. Gaurav

that is exactly what I want to know, does anyone in the world want to know about beings all over the world except foolish indians. only india does not have the courage to live on its own terms, only indians have been taught to be ashamed of their own heritage and the twin attacks from the communist on the north and the islamic juggernaut on the west have managed to teach us to be ashamed of ourselves, the article above is a proof of the manifestation of the fact that we are loosing. there is is a big difference between appreciating things and people and bending backwards and being ashamed of one’s own nation, way of life. our nation is under threat for sure and meek people act the way indian writers are acting, i hope this is the only forum where such cowards find refuge, for the sake of india. luckily the nationalist elelment is becoming stronger by the day and indians will not have to bend backwards and pussyfoot on important issues

More from Nanditha Sankar

By Sakshi Kotwal

By Hardik Lashkari

By Shreya Biswas