This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rahul Maganti. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Did Not Vote For Modi Either, And Here Are The Many Reasons Why I Do Not Support Him

More from Rahul Maganti

By Rahul Maganti:

Being famously known among my friend circle as a vocal critic of Modi, I was referred to this article by a very close friend of mine who is a rational Modi supporter, and is definitely not a Modi fan-boy, unlike many others. “These are exactly my reasons why I support Modi,” his message read. I had read the article earlier, but the impulse to write a rebuttal was so strong at that moment that I asked YKA to provide me a platform, which they readily accepted.

Modi in north east

The author argues that ‘she hasn’t voted for Modi, but 171,637,684 fellow countrymen and women did.’ In other words, 31% of the electorate voted for Modi and the remaining 69% haven’t voted for him. If we consider the NDA as a whole, the people who opposed it stand at 61% as against 39% who voted for them. She further argues, ‘what followed is a history in the making,’ which I agree with. Yes, a history of 90 years of sectarian, conservative RSS being played on to a democratic and secular 66 year old Independent country. A history which was undoing the ‘Idea of India’ and the ‘Indian Republic’ which embodies the essence of secularism, tolerance, diversity, freedom, liberal values, and human rights. The Modi-fied history which would mean a complete wipe-out of the diversity of the country with its religious minorities being forcedly brought under an umbrella name of ‘Hindu’ according to the majoritarian whims and fancies. I can give hundred such empirical examples to prove my point, from Nathuam Godse and Mohan Bhagwat to Yogi Adityanath and Amit Shah.

The RSS, formed in 1925, under the aegis of the then Hindu Kings in Nagpur, was formed with the idea of ‘Uniting Hindu’s and vouches for complete segregation of Hindu’s and Muslims to make Bharat a Hindu Rashtra’, has a very notorious history. They derived their inspiration from Nazism and Fascism, and openly idolized Hitler, who was responsible for the German Holocaust. They haven’t fought against the British Colonialism either and have many a times been hand in glove with the British Authorities while the members of Congress, the Communists and many other revolutionaries laid their lives for the independence of the country. In 1948, Nathuram Godse, a member of a RSS Shakha, killed Mahatma Gandhi, who was vouching for Hindu-Muslim unity. The early stages of RSS marked intolerance towards minorities and against those who vouched for the diversity of the country and the rights of the ethnic and religious minorities. Even after independence, the RSS cozied up to Indira Gandhi during the emergency and has been responsible for communal violence across the country. A new chapter in independent India began on December 6th, 1992 when Babri Masjid was demolished by angry Hindu’s led by LK Advani, which destroyed the secular fabric of the country. Kandhamal, Gujarat, Muzaffarnagar, etc. I can give you countless examples where RSS/BJP played the communal card. To support Modi and the BJP/RSS without having a thorough understanding of what their history is and what they meant to the Indian demography right from when they were born to this very day, by listening to their rhetoric which is completely disjointed with what the ground reality, is being at best hypocritical and at worst, naïve.

The author talks about ‘Talking the talk’ and ‘Walking the walk’. I wish to know whether the author has listened to Modi’s Independence Day speech. If we look at it in isolation, it was a good speech. However, what were his minions Amit Shah and Yogi Adityanath doing while Modi was speaking about a 10 year moratorium on Communal riots on the ramparts of the Red Fort? Delivering hate speeches and espousing communal tension to win by-elections in Uttar Pradesh! When what is said is glaringly different from what is being done on his name by the members of his own party, it is blatant hypocrisy, which is where the author fails, by consciously ignoring the data which doesn’t suit her fallacious statement. The author rightly finds a good orator in him, which I don’t disagree with. But, haven’t we seen good orators and doers in the past? Don’t we have good orators now? What Mr. Modi is doing is just speaking plain rhetoric which is diametrically opposite of what he represents, and the Independence Day speech is the best example. He had spoken against FDI in defense when he was on a campaign trail and he’s the one who went ahead with the same. He has criticized the Congress Govt. on the hike in Railway fare, which he himself has hiked by more than 14%. He has been bending over the back to satisfy the imperialistic giants like the US and the UK, thus sacrificing India’s sovereignty and thereby subordinating our foreign policy to them. The Modi regime has also become a serious threat for human rights and freedom of expression where violations galore and has been a hall mark of religious repression, which the author even fails to mention in the article, which clearly mentions only one side of the story and completely neglects the other. While the economic and the foreign policies largely remained unchanged from the previous UPA-2 Govt., Modi is selling dreams of developed India which would only be achieved by change in the policy trajectory as against just hope and good oratory skills he has in his stable.

The author further argues that ‘he is motivating the youth to take ownership’. She hasn’t been specific as to which policy she has been referring to, but the first one I could think of is the ‘Make in India’ call by Mr. Modi. This call, for me, is a sheer hypocrisy when the same Govt. which invites Indians to invest in India’s manufacturing sector disinvests the Public Sector companies and also invites huge FDI from big economies like China and Japan. These are self-contradictory, as has been understood from the experience of Gold-Spot, which was a cool-drink company in the pre-liberalization era which was devastated when foreign giants like Coke and Pepsi took over the market after their entry into India. Before inviting NRI’s to invest in India, let Mr. Modi stop the disinvestment of Public Sector companies. And, then let him invest in building public infrastructure without favoring the Corporates like Ambani and Adani, who have funded his election campaign.

The author argues that, ‘Modi has grabbed the world by the eye-balls and no one is complaining’, which I find true and let me tell you why. Modi has grabbed the world by the eye-balls because of the sheer number of seats he and his party were given by the people and not because of himself. Because of his Hindutva image and his alleged involvement in 2002 riots. Because of his conservative mindset and his bigoted and sectarian views. Even then, two out of every three Indians were not happy with him in May 2014, and that reflects in the recent flop show in the By-elections. People are not complaining because of fear. Because of the usurping of power to unleash violence on the people having politically opposite views. Because of the glaring violation of human rights and freedom of speech by the BJP/RSS/ABVP and their minions. They are not complaining not because they don’t want to, but because they can’t. Because they are forced not to. Wait for the moment and they will rise up to the occasion with the weapon of a ballot paper. A similar argument of ‘Shining India’ was taken up during the 2004 election in the Rath Yatra by LK Advani, which the Indian voters proved is a farce by coming out in large numbers and voting against the NDA Govt. A similar fate would follow suit if Mr. Modi continues in the same way, of which initial symptoms have already been seen.

1. Tanay Chothani

you have a stand, and I respect it. But, I find it completely unjustified. When we disinvest to Foreign Firms, we are essentially doing that so there can be efficiency and technological progress, which is what India needs. India needs FDI in defence, it is a requirement.

1. unknown

i think the author is not against y MR modi introduced FDI but he is against the hypocrtic nature of mr modi …whn he was not in power he was against every action of congress…now he is doing same and taking d credit of everything …so where is walk d talk …

2. Aditya Malpani

Hi Rahul,

It is good to see a counter-opinion but it is better to do so with proper facts. You have distorted facts in your article. I would recommend you to read the wikipedia page on RSS and also look through the citations for confirmations.

Opinions are important but facts should not be distorted to give sense to the opinion.

3. aniljohn

Rahul I have to say this, you just gave voice to the voiceless, the voice you discoursed can be understood only by the people who have the courage accept the criticism, you might be bashed by bhakts ,but people all the cultural bullshit you swallow by this confused fanatics who are not able to discern the difference between culture, nationalism and religion can only lead to the regression, India or any other civilization prospered when they were open to ideas.

4. Archit Aggarwal

Hello
    I wanted to read something like this after that article. You tried to put up your views but they are not as convicing and strong as points pointed out in the previous article.

5. Gaurav

Hey Rahul…Nice Job. Yor are quite a writer, appreciate that.

Seems that you are totally ignoring the facts while writing this or writing for the sake of arguing. Just blasting on anyone without facts is wrong “Activism” brother. Hey, btw you are true politics material of current times. You got your views, I respect that, but please do you know the Economics of Disinvestment. Please look into the history of India since 1947 before blaming any single organization about the destruction of everything in India.

Modi has blame of riots and everything as per you (Although cleared by courts), are you aware of the fact, he had 1000s of politicians and 10000s of other people inquiring and trying to find another hole in man’s life, but hell, nothing came out of that search during election and even after that.

Have you read the Make-In-India plan and initial investment decisions. I am sure no, you just heard from here and there, and then started blabbing.

See, try to be happy in good things, rather than finding criticism in everything. I get the point that you don’t like Modi, but why to spread ill information about anyone who is atleast trying to do some good for us.

You are a sweet writer, write with a positive attitude, than trying to prove a wrong point by adding anything from anywhere and everywhere.

FYI: I didn’t vote for Modi. I don’t share his approach on some of his policy and but I have the curtsey to admire some good out of that man.

6. Ankur

Hi Rahul.
    I was intrigued by the way your article started. Rational, not a fan-boy supporter, and I assumed thats what would follow up. But I was disappointed.
    Twisted facts and irrational arguments were the only things I found.
    Lets dissect one. 31% voted for Modi, 69% didn’t.
    Excuse me, if you find me rude, but are you so naïve.
    Does it looks like a binary choice to you? Do we have a two-party system in India?

Let me elaborate it a bit more clearly.
    NDA’ s vote percent is ~38.5%
    UPA’s vote percent is ~23%

Rest was radically distributed amongst regional parties, none of which was greater than 5%.
    These my friend are complete facts.

Moreover, none of the ruling parties in India ever touched 50% vote barrier, the highest ever was 49.10% in 1984. What would you infer from that? I’d be curious to know.

I apologize again but I couldn’t continue reading the article after the second paragraph. Please read something, perhaps a book or even a wiki article on RSS before writing about it.

1. Indian Libtard

Well done Ankur, if you are a Left Liberal like me, or even the author. Yes, instead of spending mindlessly on bashing right-wing leaders or even their hardcore fans, let us see the mistakes in ourselves. Well, there is a lot of mistakes in’ us’ liberal believers these days, and I can list them ‘endlessly’. Not only are we being strongly hated by our fellow Indians but look whats happening in America these days. As with what I follow with their news, their streets are seeming to get much unsafer than women in our country so far ( that to in a much developed nation, supposedly). Our generation has been deviated from the original principles of ‘Baby-boomer’s’ even though they might not have been entirely perfect.

So, why am I still a Liberal ( well, maybe Centre-Left, maybe…)? Its because, we must not forget great liberals like Bill Clinton greatly enhanced US economy. I can even name a great many people of various disciplines of being truly liberal. In a nutshell, I personally believe that we have more to offer BUT we need to be much more balanced, deliberate, and rational in our views and in our actions and views. I am sorry to say but ‘we’ have gone way more biased and emotional than our more fellow ‘conservative’ friends, e.g like the author. Hey, do we really want to go into Dark Ages? No. However, society in general, especially in India are so sick of our nation’s plight that they literally are in need to ‘kick us out’ ( I can see that among many of my Indian friends and my family.) Ever heard of the old Chinese saying promoted by late Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping, that It Doesn’t Matter If the Cat is Black or White but if it Catches the Mice, aren’t we gaining a lot more?

Bottom line is, its ‘We the Liberals,’ who noware in need of a reform in some of our pattern oof thinking and a lot of approaches.

P.S. I am an Indian national who has lived over a decade abroad and am a Liberal. Apologies for my lack of authenticity in comment.

7. Kiran

A very well written article. It’s high time the youth of India differentiated rhetoric from intent and oratory from statesmanship.

8. vijay anand

i completely support views and writings on this article.I m over 18 yet i dn’t hv election card n if i would hv it i would never ever vote fr modi just bcoz of the same reason that u hv mentioned in this article,,,,,

9. Venkat

Rahul Gandhi Jindabad last mein bolna tha bhai..That would have been like the most secular and democratic thing to do. Congratulations on your intense pessimism about India & Modi. I hope you never vote for MODI coz that would make him think like you. Enjoy

10. NB

Fact 1: Economics and politics make strange bedfellows, so it is not surprising that the author has distorted facts. Disinvestment to the tune of 49% as rightly pointed out by Tanay Chothani here is for technological improvements. You can read articles on sabotage by of the Cryogenic engine and space programmes by foreign forces during the erstwhile Congress Raj.
    Fact 2: RSS for all the bad press is a nationalistic orgainisation, go to Wikipedia and read it. During any calamity, be it earthquakes, a train derailment or anyplace where humans are suffering, RSS is the first organisation that gathers all its personnel and distributes the essentials to people, before even the so-called secular NGOs come with their literature of how God has been kind to them and saved them from this calamity!!!
    Fact 3: Does the author understand the difference between Make in India and Importing from a foreign country??? I have my doubts…when you talk of Gold-Spot (brand owned by Parle Beverages) was sold off, it was due to a variety of factors, not in the least due to our country opening up the markets. The bottlers who used to own their plants shifted allegiance to Coke and Pepsi; and Mr. Chauhan (person who owned the brands) sold it off. World-wide, nobody sells their brands, I don’t know if it was naivety or sheer desperation to sell off the Brands. At the same time, Frooti, Appy that was owned by the other Chauhan brother thrived in the market. So, please save the rhetoric of our companies being taken over by foreign companies.
    Fact 4: Any riots are to be condemned, and it is surprising and even more so because, when the Supreme Court has absolved Mr. Narendra Modi, the so-called secularists keep harping on 2002 Gujarat riots. Can any of these pesudo-secularists ever come out into the open and condemn the 1984 riots, where Sikhs were butchered, women raped and burnt on the streets of Delhi, and this has been reported by Commission after commission, the difference is nobody has been convicted; and the case dragged on, rather than coming to a logical conclusion. And if the author likes to read some history of independent India, please search on the internet, you will find who and how perpetrated riots after riots on the people of India and which secular party was in power at those times. And what about the ethnic cleansing of Pandits in Jammu and Kashmir wherein the people are living as refugees in their own country. All this due to the gross and unilateral decision of our first PM, to go the UN. If we had given the army a free hand during the first two wars with Pakistan, this problem would never have arisen in the first place. Just look at the difference in response at the border today, the enemy posts have been practically destroyed rather than engaging with them and taking a soft approach.

Fact 5: Freedom of expression and opinion has been violated more in times of the Nehru family than anyone else. Take the recent case of Mr. Chidambaram’s son’s FB post outrage…and the worst one, Emergency imposed on our country in 1975. And fringe elements who violate our basic right have to be condemned irrespective of any political party that they belong to!

Finally, the author could write this due to the fact that there is freedom of expression, and if the demented and biased views can be aired so freely, the least that can be done is get yourself educated with the true historical perspective and not give a biased perspective.

11. Neha Choudhary

I was also not a supporter of Modi but I am not against him now. I would like to see how he works and how he changes the situation in India. What he says is quite influential. He has got a bad history but every politician has got one. And there at his position, neither you nor me nor any other youth from common people nor AAP cant reach. Till anyone of us reaches there, I would want to be part of the good he will be doing to our country. At the end, that’s all matters to me.

12. Srinivas

I have read the article. The problem with the educated people is they forgot their identity. It becomes fashion to say that they don’t like Hinduism. It is the one attacked by people, locals got converted and cut this country into 3 pieces (Pakistan & Bangladesh). Still if we can’t learn a lesson, what should we call ourselves ? how can we talk about secularism even after losing almost 1/3 of land. Without any reason you are hating BJP/RSS and your own PM. RSS is the Patriotic organization in this country. The Identity of this great nation from thousands of centuries in Hinduism. Do not forget your roots. Winning or losing elections are based on N number of things, they are irrelevant. Being a Leftist we can’t expect much from you. Go and read why CPI and CPM are formed in this country and you are saying communists are patriotic, if someone listens this people will laugh like any thing.

13. Pradeep

may be u need to study history. Rss was started in 1925 as u said but then the nazism hasn’t started or might be at the root level. Rss only said that they inspire from nazism with respect to their love towards their nation and unity. Also nathuram godse attended Shaka of rss but rss can’t be blamed for the murder of Gandhi. Never forget that rss was given clean chit by the government later that too by the congress party. U need to analyze things or situations from a neutral position, not being a leftist or rightist.

14. Ameek

This is a terribly written article, and I am not even a Modi supporter! I hope you take this as positive criticism.
    You mentioned Modi’s call to “Make in India” is hypocritical because of investment from China/Japan. The investment from china/japan in India will do what exactly? Do Hyundai and Nokia manufacturing units in India not count as investment from their native countries?
    Amit shah and Adityanath were making communal speeches, alright, but you have to provide evidence for what you are saying.
    You say Modi was selected for his hindutva leaning, well that is bordering on stupidity! Even if you say so, please back up your claims with some substantial evidence. Just saying it doesn’t cut mustard.
    You emotional appeal to the reader about the history of RSS makes little sense in the modern context – you need much more research to put your points across solidly while you are trying to argue opposite to the general narrative. I am sympathetic to your cause, but try to make pointed critiques and not general statements about what you don’t like. This just seems like a very lazy rant and nothing more.

15. abhishek

It seems that the author has collected all his data on RSS from a very untrusted source.for example,nathuram godse was not in any shakha of RSS when he killed gandhi.RSS has proven this fact several times.all the other allegations hav no such proof as far as I guess..the author is just another person who is willing to come in limelight by writing such misguiding stories.bring the paper cuttings,bring the pics,bring the history book references,bring the true facts …only writing such rubbish will neither help you..nor the people of this nation.accept what has happened and just believe it is for good.nd if not…keep on writing such articles for the next 5 years and most probably the years to come after.
    jai hind.

16. prakhar

This article seems to fling around allegations all over the place without pointing to anything concrete. e.g “I can give hundred such empirical examples to prove my point.” Which is followed by not even one concrete example. Also: “They are not complaining not because they don’t want to, but because they can’t. ” I find this hard to believe when I see you and so many other Modi critics around who are, in fact, complaining. What specific communal policy of his to people not complain of due to ‘fear of repercussions?’

17. Rahul Gaurav

Boy , writing passionately is good but Stop writing “ahistorically” and go through some “authentic” accounts before you air your opinion.

18. sushruth

first of all going through this persons article one thing is clear tht he hates modi of no reason because all his article talks of with no evidence, and other thing is this man is from a communist party background person so obivously he will oppose foriegn investment but this person will not talk about china incursions because china is having his loving party there
    communist party
    one thing i learned from this post is tht communist will always try to critic modi even if he does good to the country

19. Baburao

Rahul Gandhi supporter spotted..

20. Kireeti Bheemavarapu

Can people expect anything more from a person who labels himself as a ‘left liberal’ ?
    However I have few things to say not to the author but to the readers who read these comments

1) RSS, Hindutva, Sectarianism blah..blah..& one more blah.. People of this country are tired to these stuff(atleast someone like me). Ask yourself first: how secular are other parties ? Are there no religious riots during Congress led governments (including ‘in’famous Anti-Sikh Riots ?) Is left wing free of Caste-hierarchy ?

2) 61% didn’t vote NDA . Alright, is this not the case every time? Did congress led UPA get any different majority in previous elections? Shame on them, they always cradled useless jokers like Mayawati , Mulayam , Lalu etc. You all should remember India still follows first pass the post system so it if someone wins even with ONE vote, it is still counted as a WIN. I agree, we need electoral reforms but we just dotn have it yet.

3) Hate speeches: Are other party’s inclusive? What did All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen’s (MIM in short) honcho preach during public speeches? Why do congress always try to appease minorities ? just simply because they are minorities? 18% of population is NOT considered a minority(in its true sense) anywhere else in the world.

4) Do you think Gandhi, communists achieved independence ? Ever heard of Prime Minister Lord Clement Atlee’s response to then Acting West Bengal’s governor P.B Chakraborthy? Please read it or try to understand the course of world history and its link to Indian independence. Did communists not support DICTATOR China in Indo-Sino war?

5)Okay, Modi have spoken against FDI in defense, but I see that as election strategy. Congress have led this country into a pseudo socialist pitfall, that people are used to being scared that if anyone says something about foreign investments. Never ending subsides which didn’t help India for 6 decades is something people of this country particularly the tax paying middle class should worry about. Not FDIs, per se it is not so bad. Do you think Govt. doesn’t have any controls in place over FDIs?(I mean seriously?)

6) Disinvestment in Public sector ? How successful is public sector in India? Most of it has excessive bureaucracy? Lack of cost competitiveness. Perhaps author left streak has let him turn a blind eye towards burdensome companies like COAL INDIA, which made India with huge coal resources to import coal from counties like Australia? I mean seriously, that’s like Qatar importing Oil from Russia. Beware Middle class, your hole in wallet gets bigger and bigger, thanks to GOLDEN ERA of LIBERAL-SOCIALIST-SECULAR-BLAH Government(including tail waging left) that made India a Super power of SLUMS (they fucking give OSCARS in west for that, ain’t that kewl?)

7) If situation compels, in the the left tail wagging pariahs will be ready to crown PRINCE (did I say it correctly?) Rahul Gandhi as the prime minister in the presence of HER MAJESTY Sonia Gandhi championing the cause of SECULARISM (perhaps, the most misunderstood & misused word in the history of India)

8) Finally, I suggest readers not to give up on Modi, not just yet. Give him some more time. You can always swing your axe during elections anyway.

P.S: Beware of rabid dogs which bark “Liberalism, Secularism, Leftism etc …” once your ass gets bitten by them, you know what happened to this country in last few decades, Still want to take a chance ?

21. Arjun S

Hi,
    Thank you for this. And by the way, there are so many bhakts out there whose full time duty is to deride, abuse, belittle every single person that talks out against their beloved netas or themselves but one needs to hold on. But things like this need to be written, or the bhakts, in all their bhakti which is obviously propelled by their greed and bigotry will have to no work to do and hence might take their message to the streets. And the wierdest are the rational bhakts and those who think or say everyone writing things against some of government’s and their leaders’s moves are ‘congis’ or watever word they use. Its not the leaders that I am pained by though, its these bhakts. The epitome of their chutzpah (heh) was when they attacked a senior journalists in the US.
    Anyways, well done bro! hope to see you write more

22. Kunal

I’m not a Modi fanboy, but this “article” still reads like an ignorant rant against Modi. It’s neither accurate, nor well researched. It’s neither unbiased nor fair. It seems to throw around the usual hoary clichés of secularism without understanding the term or its history in India.

1. bartra

yup, absolutely

23. MrigankaDadwal

Pseudo secularists have done India more damage than unfriendly neighbors and terrorists. This creed also mistakenly interchanges secularism with Hindu-bashing, so much so that when faced with these supposedly ‘evolved’ beings one feels almost apologetic for being a Hindu. As much as I respect every religion, I would stand tall against any one who dares to disrespect mine.

Actually for you to understand it better let me quote Mahatma Gandhi, the biggest symbol of non-violence and secularism, “I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.”

My original article is about what a pleasant surprise it has been for me and many more like me that for a change, a leader is addressing core issues that mean something to the youth of India — Cleanliness, Red-tape removal and Development of Safe Cities & Model Villages to name just a few.

However, Mr Pseudo-intellectual, Pseudo-secularist here didn’t like it so much that he issued a half-baked rebuttal in my favor. Now this is what makes a pseudo-secularist stand out in the crowd. No matter what the debate is about, they have this wonderful knack of converting it into a code-red emergency threat to communal harmony.

The amount of time you spent on researching the history of RSS (which I need not correct as others have already done a good job of it here), half of it had you spent on the site mygov.nic.in you would not have asked me what I meant by “Modi is motivating youth to take ownership”.

Le me simplify it for you. Instead of raking garbage on RSS if you actually take up a broom and clean your neighborhood under the “Swatch Bharat Abhiyaan” it would give you hands-on experience of what I mean by ‘youth taking ownership’. Or you could go to the ‘skill development section’ and offer your wonderful R&D and writing skills to teach those not as privileged as you.

You have alleged that there is a ‘serious threat to human rights and freedom of expression’. Stop spreading such baseless rumors because you the fact is that you can write such gibberish and get away with it thanks to Article 19A being upheld in this country. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mind you the operator word is ‘everyone’.

You have also commented ‘haven’t we seen good orators in past’. Name a few! Please tell me in last 2 decades which leaders’ oratory skills have impressed you?

Which again brings me to why I have been Modi-fied. Modi is actually the first PM who spoke on the topic of crime against women while advising fellow politicians to keep quiet if they can’t speak something sensible (Oh what a relief juxtaposed against statements like ‘boys will make mistakes’).

And to sum it up (yes, yes I know we never start a sentence with AND, and for that I am ready to apologize… now get some sense of humor you morons) the average Indian is more concerned about living in a crime-free, corruption free society and his/her allegiance lies towards whoever can help them achieve that goal – irrespective of their religion.

Isn’t that the dictionary definition of being secular anyway? Look Up!!!

PS: I stand by my original article and if there is anything “fallacious” here, it is your lack of research!

1. Rahul Maganti

Hello Mriganka!

Thanks for responding. However, I can’t help but see this as a personal attack calling me pseudo-intellectual and pseudo-secular and morons. I don’t know if that is how you respond to a rebuttal, but I wouldn’t have done it definitely.

That said, I expect you, atleast in your next rebuttal to target the substance and not me. I am ready for a discussion and open for one and I don’t stereotype people who support Modi as Hindutvawadi’s just like you stereotyped people who speak against him as pseudo-secularists. So, attack the substance and the arguments in the article.

Thanks! 🙂

2. Aabhas

I did ask authors few questions, and still didn’t find any. Though, it was really unfortunate, the way he has exposed his least knowledge about the history and the polity. Once upon a time, I was a staunch critic of Mr.Modi, but with the time, the deeds and the acts in the recent political system, along with the thriller type history of India; post-independence gave a new direction to my perception. I felt like getting my visual cone beyond the boundaries set by numerous INTELLECTS around.
      I see only “betterment” in his strides, and probably our country shall again become the Golden Bird and there shall prevail the concept of “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam”.

3. bartra

Personal attacks :p

4. Ravi

Me thinks you fancy yourself just a tad too much. Adding Pseudo in front of any word is a sign of bankruptcy of REAL intellect.

24. Aabhas

Dear Friend Rahul,
    Wow, you have a point. I give thumbs up for the same. But points need to make points further and shape a constructive geometry but unfortunately, all the way, “Ekla Chalo” concept can’t shape the brawl against the evil, when the point doesn’t even lie in the plane it is supposed to.
    You say, “Yes, a history of 90 years of sectarian, conservative RSS being played on to a democratic and secular 66 year old Independent country.”
    //Fabulous. Speechless, I’m. The era of emergency too is inclusive in it. Do you even have idea what former prime-minister, IK Gujaral’ s remark is on the same. That time, he was the information broadcasting minister of the Republic of India. Woha, the Bofors scandal too was a great act of democratic government, and why not it has subjective right to sell of the national security….There are many other cases when the throat of the democracy was clawed by the democratic hawks. Tell me in case you wan’t more info, you yourself take pleasure to read the history.//

Secondly, you said, “The RSS, formed in 1925, under the aegis of the then Hindu Kings in Nagpur, was formed with the idea of ‘Uniting Hindu’s and vouches for complete segregation of Hindu’s and Muslims to make Bharat a Hindu Rashtra’, has a very notorious history. They derived their inspiration from Nazism and Fascism, and openly idolized Hitler, who was responsible for the German Holocaust.”
    //Friend, separation of Hindus and Muslim was the phenomenon which was first transcendentally created by the British, and later in a very clear format by the All-India Muslim League, which was formed in 1906 AD, i.e. almost two decades before RSS. It’s true occasionally, “naam mein kya rakha hai,” but the irony of the situation is every one knows that Shakespeare quoted. Likewise the names, All-India Muslim League and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh themselves yell aloud of their character. Friend why don’t you get your facts right, if not perception. Nazism and Facism are very much contemporary to RSS, then how those philosophies can be the inspiration???? RSS is based on the philosophies of Swami Vivekananda, Savarkar etc.///
    Next, you said, “They haven’t fought against the British Colonialism either and have many a times been hand in glove with the British Authorities while the members of Congress, the Communists and many other revolutionaries laid their lives for the independence of the country.”
    ///Let us talk only about the founder’s patriotism, forget the rest though there are many. Shri K B Hedgewar, was a doctor by profession. But in order to pursue the rob of anti-British revolutionary aspirations despite financial crunch at home. Later he joined Bal Gangadhar Tilak’s fraction of the Congress. in 1920, he became the chief of the volunteers who campaigned for the Congress Poorna Swaraja Movement, and that organisation of the volunteers was called Bharat Swayamsewak Mandal. He actively participated in non-cooperation movement of 1920, also being the member of republican association. You can read more about him, if it interests you or you certainly want to keep yourself rational rather than being one of those pseudo secular. Also read the autobiography of Pandit Ram Prasad Bismill , Musings from the gallows, to know more about what exactly was happening in country between 1920-30. Yes, Communist fought and INC too but the people who came in being the members of RSS too fought bravely against the British-Raj. Freedom fighters are the freedom fighters and not Communist, Congressi or RSS wadi.///
    You say, “In 1948, Nathuram Godse, a member of a RSS Shakha, killed Mahatma Gandhi, who was vouching for Hindu-Muslim unity.”
    ///Friend, I wish you were born in the time when this agony happened. The mistake was no one’s but it was the frustration, and the sense of insecurity. You must into the root cause. Yes, I admit that Bapu was trying hard to make prevail the Hindu Muslim Unity, but at the same time that idea of Bapu was also separating the two communities. Hindus had started feeling unsecured and who doesn’t grips the weapon when life of own people is stacked, even through psych? You cited example of communists fighting for freedom, but emergence of Communism itself has foundation in the bloodshed, though of the elite.///
    You say, ” Even after independence, the RSS cozied up to Indira Gandhi during the emergency and has been responsible for communal violence across the country.”
    ///A big hahaha…do you even know what emergency was? And what JP Movement was? JP was not RSS Pro, isn’t it? In March–April 1974, a student agitation by the Bihar Chatra Sangharsh Samiti received the support of Gandhian socialist Jayaprakash Narayan, referred to as JP, against the Bihar government. In April 1974, in Patna, JP called for “total revolution”, asking students, peasants, and labour organizations non-violently transform Indian society. He also demanded the dissolution of the state government, but this was not accepted by Centre. A month later, the railway-employees union, the largest union in the country, went on a nationwide strike. This strike was brutally suppressed by the Indira Gandhi government, which arrested thousands of employees and drove their families out of their quarters. RSS was banned for which they did Satyagrah and you say they added communal colours to it?///

You say, “A new chapter in independent India began on December 6th, 1992 when Babri Masjid was demolished by angry Hindu’s led by LK Advani, which destroyed the secular fabric of the country.”
    ///Do you know even a percent of the history? It was Rajeev Gandhi government which fist appeased Muslims by giving relaxation in Shah Bano Case. (read in-case you don’t know). After that relaxation, when INC seemed to be losing the Hindu Votes, Rajeev Gandhi played the ploy. He said about building Ram Temple in an election campaign rally and the movement was dramatised. Now coming to other point which should be considered. History is almost on the verge to admit the existence of Rama and Ayodhya being his birth place, so isn’t it our responsibility to dedicate a creation at his birthplace itself, for the man, who indeed was the best Human ever from this very land. If not temple, may be even a school at his name. Second point is that Babur was an invader indeed, and Mir Baqi, his general built this very structure just for the triumphal symbol of him. Don’t you see that as a scar on the face of “Aryavarta”? A divine mosque can be proposed on other place by some other name if possible, and even on any other site. Why carry a scar?///

Are you so naive, my congress pro friend, how much more you wish to be looted? You are declaring BJP, RSS to be the hand behind all the communal riots, but court has already given them clean-chit though your very lovable Mrs Indira Gandhi was convicted for cheap assaults like mechanising the electrols, bribing the voters etc.
    //If Amit Shah was vomiting hate speech then what was Abu Azmi doing in Uttar Pradesh, and see the irony they won the elections too.///

You say, ” I can give you countless examples where RSS/BJP played the communal card. To support Modi and the BJP/RSS without having a thorough understanding of what their history is and what they meant to the Indian demography right from when they were born to this very day, by listening to their rhetoric which is completely disjointed with what the ground reality, is being at best hypocritical and at worst, naïve.”
    ///Please give me substantial instances where BJP/RSS has been found guilty for same. In above part of the comment I have clearly mentioned, rather I find your knowledge about HISTORY an abyss. You claim to know so much from the time of their incarnation, then why not throw some light with substance rather philosophical, ideological words? :-D///

You said, “He had spoken against FDI in defense(correct spelling is defence) when he was on a campaign trail and he’s the one who went ahead with the same.”
    ///Friend, we had to stick to 49% FDI, that too by mounting over 26% from past because we don’t have any engineering education with that background so far, but there is gradual attempt to build in-house system in defence too. ///

You said, ” He has criticized the Congress Govt. on the hike in Railway fare, which he himself has hiked by more than 14%. He has been bending over the back to satisfy the imperialistic giants like the US and the UK, thus sacrificing India’s sovereignty and thereby subordinating our foreign policy to them.”
    ///Friend I truly feel pity on your insight. You know what the government which starts fresh has to continue with many old policies in the very first budget, so as to keep the flow of the economy. Imagine, father plans some budget and accordingly, he has set up all the policies for the very family but he meets an unfortunate demise, then son has to start taking care of the family and also he will be needed to take care of the budget set by his father at-least till the time when the process of credit-debit commitment of father is not over. The 14% hike was not the outburst of thirty day government but off deliberate budget planning which kept happening for last decade. JUST COMMON SENSE!!! Also, tell me what was the development in the railway sector you found during every hike done by the UPA government? Here we have the plans for bullet trains, connectivity to all the places, which anyway cannot be done from the pocket of the government. Did you ever wondered why the proportion of bus ticket hike was always higher than that of train. This time the petrol price has been on check?///

You said, “The Modi regime has also become a serious threat for human rights and freedom of expression where violations galore and has been a hall mark of religious repression, which the author even fails to mention in the article, which clearly mentions only one side of the story and completely neglects the other.”
    ///Can you please explain Mr. what was happening to the secular flag when Bhindrawale was spewing terror getting aid from Sanjay Gandhi and Indira Gandhi, with the motive to take-over the Akali-Dal, the pro-Sikh party in 1975 and beyond? Which lead to the ferocious demand for separate Sikh state called “Khalistan”. Further operation Blue-Star happened leading to the Golden temple massacre and to communal violence through out the country along with the assassination of Indira Gandhi.
    …………What had happened to communal sanity when Gandhi Ji proposed to Nehru to let Jinnah become the PM?….There are many more instances brother, I shouldn’t write more or else my comment might become longer than your post.////

Considering your last paragraph in which you said, ” Modi has grabbed the world by the eye-balls because of the sheer number of seats he and his party were given by the people and not because of himself. Because of his Hindutva image and his alleged involvement in 2002 riots………”
    ////Let me make it very clear, Yes he grabbed the eyes of world for communal riots and for that he was prohibited for long to set feet in USA but off-late he has grabbed the eyes of world because all the giant evil allegations on him failed to be correct . Right now he has grabbed all eyes, for despite all negative propagations all around he has been able to come out elected by the biggest democracy of the world. AND THE SO IDEALIST STATEMENT, ‘satyam-eva jayate सत्यमेव जयते; : Truth Alone Triumphs’ has proved correct!!!
    ..No confrontation friend, just an opinion for few opinion of yours. Hope you reply back…

1. Good Reader

What a fantastic explanation. I enjoyed your well detailed comment more than a so called “article” which is nothing but a congi baseless frustration. Please write this as detailed article. It lifts curtain for many who has demonized RSS, BJP and Hindutva without even going through facts.

2. bartra

I can go on for a while but to sum it up your rebuttal is equally biased, if not less than the author’s.

3. Ravi

Nazism and Facism are very much contemporary to RSS, then how those philosophies can be the inspiration?

I suggest you read what Moonje was up to during that period as well see if the writings of Sarvarkar echo Mein Kampf that was written before and was read by him.

4. Ravi

Here are some details.

Between February and March 1931, on his return from the Round Table Conference, Moonje made a tour to Europe, which included a long stop–over in Italy. There he visited some important military schools and educational institutions. The highlight of the visit was the meeting with Mussolini. An interesting account of the trip and the meeting is given in Moonje’s diary and takes 13 pages.

The Indian leader was in Rome during March 15 to 24, 1931. On March 19, in Rome, he visited, among others, the Military College, the Central Military School of Physical Education, the Fascist Academy of Physical Education, and, most important, the Balilla and Avanguardisti organisations. These two organisations, which he describes in more that two pages of his diary, were the keystone of the fascist system of indoctrination — rather than education — of the youths. Their structure is strikingly similar to that of the RSS. They recruited boys from the age of six, up to 18: the youth had to attend weekly meetings, where they practised physical exercise, received paramilitary training and performed drills and parades.

According to the literature promoted by the RSS and other Hindu fundamentalist organisations and parties, the structure of the RSS was the result of Hedgewar’s vision and work. However, Moonje played a crucial role in moulding the RSS along Italian (fascist) lines. The deep impression left on Moonje by the vision of the fascist organisations is confirmed by his diary.

5. Ravi

Addendum

The intimate connection between Moonje and the RSS and the fascist character of the latter is confirmed by British sources. An intelligence report published in 1933 and entitled, ‘Note on the Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh’, ascribed to Moonje the responsibility of the reorganisation of the Sangh in the Marathi speaking districts and in the Central Provinces in 1927. The report, describing the activity and the character of the RSS, warned that, “It is perhaps no exaggeration to assert that the Sangh hopes to be in future India what the ‘Fascists’ are to Italy and the ‘Nazis’ to Germany”.

Summing up, it is clear that the Hindu nationalists were very much attracted by the figure of a strong leader. Moreover, they were keen to give their organisation a strongly centralised structure.

6. Aabhas

Dear Friend Ravi,
      Great to see a tide. I love them. Yes, I was wrong in a point, that FASCISM is contemporary to RSS. I was carried away with the tide and it’s flow. 😛
      But combating tides is a necessity even if you are carried away.
      As far as I know, RSS was formed in year 1925 just after the Kakori Conspiracy which occurred only on 8 August, 1925 whose Trail Proceedings became one of the reasons for the formation of RSS. Hitler’s Mein Kamph was published first in German in year 18 July 1925, while the English edition came only in 13 October 1933 (abridged) while full edition came only in 1939. So, there is no point it can become the principle behind the RSS formation. Though it is true, Savarkar often idealised it but it has nothing to do with RSS.
      Yes, Shri B S Moonje did go to Rome and was very impressed by some partials of the Fascist principle. Mate, have you forgotten the wise talks which even your elders would have said, “always try learn good from all irrespective of who the person is.” Even Lakshman went on to learn “Vedic Insights” from Ravana, after the instruction from Rama.

You have clearly mentioned, “They recruited boys from the age of six, up to 18: the youth had to attend weekly meetings, where they practised physical exercise, received paramilitary training and performed drills and parades.”

///What is wrong in that? Just because the Fascist and Nazis did same, so it is wrong? You need to imagine a time, when suddenly you are struck by a robber’s attack, then what shall you do if you don’t have the basic paramilitary skills, you are not physically fit and nor your mind runs promptly, because of the fact that you are devoid of both NCC and so hated “SHAKHA”. Just assume, you didn’t had any training in terms of calamity fighting. You don’t know, what to do when fire erupts in a building? Or suddenly cyclone takes a torr of you.

WILL YOU REMAIN LIKE A ANOTHER FOOL FROM THE LOT OF GOOGLE, INTERNET DRIVEN, WIKIPEDIA READ FOOL who doesn’t know actually how to react????

Next tide, you said, “According to the literature promoted by the RSS and other Hindu fundamentalist organisations and parties, the structure of the RSS was the result of Hedgewar’s vision and work. However, Moonje played a crucial role in moulding the RSS along Italian (fascist) lines. The deep impression left on Moonje by the vision of the fascist organisations is confirmed by his diary.”

///Bhrata shree, have you really read each principles of RSS??? I doubt. And by the way, did Italian madame ji anyhow tell you secretly that, “RSS was moulded in the lines of Italian segment?” Because Italian shall know Italian better than we Indians, isn’t it so? ///

Coming to the harder point, even Netaji had a meeting with Hitler. By recent researches, (read INDIA’S BIGGEST COVER-UP http://www.flipkart.com/indis-s-biggest-cover-up-english/p/itmdazsssrhjzdj8 ) it has been found that Netaji was still alive after the independence and many congress leaders cooked a great conspiracy to let him never come back. Was congress too terrified of the NAZI effect like how British were. (refer your own mentioned British Intelligence report). Don’t you think British; the capitalist were badly scared off Nazis and the Fascist?

I shall quote the report mentioned by you here as well, ——-
      ////An intelligence report published in 1933 and entitled, ‘Note on the Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh’, ascribed to Moonje the responsibility of the reorganisation of the Sangh in the Marathi speaking districts and in the Central Provinces in 1927. The report, describing the activity and the character of the RSS, warned that, “It is perhaps no exaggeration to assert that the Sangh hopes to be in future India what the ‘Fascists’ are to Italy and the ‘Nazis’ to Germany”.////

Friend, Sangha was hoping to be in future India what the ‘Fascist’ are to Italy and the ‘Nazis’ to Germany or rather British were hoping to create even deeper hue of “Divide and Rule”?
      Someone has really said so correct, “Angrej chale gaye leking apna juthan chod gaye.”

You so apprehensively, kind of shadowed Shri Savarkar as a crime doer but do you have any clue of his contribution to Indian Nationalist movement? His anti-partition notion etc? You are so deeply drenched in the Italian flavour that nothing seems correct on the other side.
      Probably you don’t, for you still seem to be one of the reader of the academic history.

25. Kushal Sagar

Hello Rahul,

To start with, I believe that the media right now is very biased in favour of Modi, and the citizens of this country are kept away from a lot of information that may not be very pleasant for them. I also agree that this is affecting people’s sense of rationality in analyzing the pros and cons of the present system.
    However, the arguments that you have presented in your article are extremely half baked, superbly extrapolated and written with a sense of bias and rather than rationale.
    It seems that you are writing just for the heck of writing and picking and putting facts that do not describe the context. There is neither good research nor right inferencing done for you have said in your article. It is more like an emotional outburst coming from an immature and mentally vulnerable person.
    If I am asked to examine this, I will give it a 0.5 out of 10 and tell you, “you still got to learn a lot kid”.

For YKA, I think you should review the articles sent to you in a more stringent way and not just go by the headline of the claim (which sometimes can be very lucrative as this one) but the content following it can be a complete disaster.
    Just a suggestion. 🙂

26. Ashish

I whole heartedly agree with you. It’s a very rational articulate article which most of our bigoted countrymen will unfortunately vehemently oppose. Ignore the hate.
    Most people already have pre conceived notions and are not open to rational debate. That is the problem with “The caustic and argumentative Indian”. Also the parallelism with Nazi Germany is too unerringly clear. Well after all most RSS fascists do idolise Hitler.

Nice to read from a like minded individual and away from the propaganda rhetoric for a change.

27. Shalini

Great article. Go ahead 🙂

1. Rahul Maganti

Thank You Shalini! 🙂

28. bartra

1. I think NDA (if it was NDA any more) has provided no strong policies whatsoever in short duration. Even RBI governor knows that expected key economic figures are inflated and impossible to achieve.
    2. Also, government has been contradictory on FDI and fare hike – If someone says that these decisions were good and inevitable, I can understand that. But if someone says they are not contradictory – fuck logic.
    3. There have been numerous cases when youth were arrested for circulating hate speech against Modi.
    4. I too believe that Modi is sometimes about plain rhetoric.

But isn’t portraying RSS/BJP/Modi cause of all the violence in India also a rhetoric?
    And I don’t think there has been any secularism in politics of India whatsoever. Even media comes up with headlines like “did XYZ candidate set the target ethnic group right”? BJP is hoping to ride on Modi bandwagon while other parties are busy in polarizing voters and dividing land.
    The paradigm for voters has changed from pro secularism / hinutva etc to pro development. But is it same for the candidates being voted to power? My friend from Bhopal says – “the who? I don’t know what are you talking about. I voted for Modi” I don’t know about the 31% Indians and I might be well wrong but it just doesn’t make sense to me.

29. Karan Mahajan

Man grow up…it really seems like a biased article. Please do proper research before writing and accusing someone as the facts have been twisted. People in the comments have already rebutted you.

I would only say to you that after becoming PM, Mr.Modi has taken the right steps and right calls. Just give him time and see the results. Just keep an open mind. It will help you.

30. Sandip

Ha ha ha..
    very funny when you say billions of people voted modi because of fear..
    then, why you didnt?
    Dont say, you are so brave.

1. Dev Malya

Good One

31. Sheshadri Ramachandran

This is why you shouldn’t let biased misinformed people write articles ..what a farce

32. Ravi

While reading the article I could not help but feel that the author is articulating my thoughts better than I would ever been able to.

33. Arati

I’m not a die-hard Modi fan and neither am I one of his many vocal critics. I’m usually detached from political commentary and rebuttal sessions, however, this article provides a myopic view of recent events in Indian polity, which in turn has compelled me to share my opinion here.

First off, the claim that almost two-third of the electorate voted against Mr. Modi (BJP) is quite redundant. Yes, the majority may not idolize him, but the vote count of his worthy contenders will serve as a timely eye-opener. I wonder if the author diligently went to similar depths and tallied the electoral share of different political parties in the previous general elections in the country. Am I to understand that all his predecessors have aced with flying colours and humungous vote share, while Modi has had a rare stroke of luck by fooling the naïve citizenry about the many virtues of Hindutva and its lethal undercurrents? Pardon me, but I find it hard to digest.

India works on the system of first-past-the-post system, which may be inherently flawed. The proportional representation method might help do away with a few of the discrepancies of such skewed numbers. We only have the sole option to accept the result at face value.

Talking the talk, besides being a witty alliteration, has been sorely absent from the thought process of many of our illustrious national leaders. I beseech you to help me recollect the names of all those authoritarian figures (Prime Ministers, hopefully) who have addressed the issues of lack of sanitation in schools, sexual violence against women, punctuality in government offices etc. from the ramparts of the Red Fort (as you so eloquently put it). The reason we are still a country of laggards is the apathetic approach of you and others of your ilk towards basic civic amenities. At the end of the day, people want roti, kapda and makaan. The ‘bhagwaan’ adage can come along later.

Raking up communal sentiments won’t score brownie points, really. Mr. Modi, smartly addressed pertinent issues, unlike the other major political leaders playing the same old broken record of ‘Hindu-Muslim bhai bhai’. Hindus and Muslims cannot survive on passionate, empty declarations of brotherhood. Concrete steps to redress their grievances are to be undertaken, which are already in the works.

The youth are impressed by him, as he’s a breath of fresh air compared to the intellectual and verbose superior leaders, who’ve been mere tools in the grand game of blind puppetry. Investments from China and Japan are bad? Since when? Also, helpfully supplied alternatives or even solutions to the epic miscalculations and blunders, that you presumptuously imply the current government has undertaken, would have made this article sound less hollow.

In the end, I implore you to look beyond religion and voice your opinion on burning issues of national importance. If you live in this persistent fear of the RSS slaughtering the minorities or impressing their skewed ideologies on a gullible populace or invoking their Nazism-inspired fanatic past and commencing blatant indoctrination of their sly Hindutva agenda, I’m sorry to say, my friend, you might miss out the silent reawakening of a nation that has been in idle slumber far too long.

1. Ravi

Arti.

All the winners and losers in Indian elections, for ever, have been as a result of First Past the Post system. It is customary for losers of all political parties the BJP and the Jan Sangh before that have never missed the opportunity to try and grab a slice of the mandate by quoting the quantum of their losing share of the vote. So I am afraid nothing new is happening here. Winners shamefully hide their disappointing quantum behind the smoke screen of first past the post and losers try to usurp the benefits of proportional representation by denigrating first past the post system.

I am no fan of Modi or for that matter of those who exaggerate in public space their talent for oratory. For me and many like me, it is not possible to ignore the ideology behind the orator. Enoch Powell was a better orator than ALL of his contemporaries. Ian Paisley’s weapon of Oratory – it can be argued – delayed the inevitable peace deal in Northern Ireland by at least 10 years. In other words one cannot ignore the message or the messenger simply because on is in admiration of their oratorical skills. Modi has outsourced hard hitting and regressive elements of his Hinduatva ideology to many of his Safrronised side-kicks, while keeping the bog-roll for himself. Many of my friends who voted for Modi and count themselves among the new-right in India, are openly asking the question, did we give this man such a large mandate so he could get himself distracted by mundane hygiene elements.

Not sure what to make of the argument “Hindus and Muslims cannot survive on empty declarations of brotherhood”. On the face of it this is very true. However, the RSS/BJP (Modi included) were until recently and many of them are still promising Ram Temple. Who, apart from a few Pandits, do you believe will start surviving better as a result of this absurd promise? The fundamental issue here, is that of our National Identity. Are we a Hindu Nation, or are we a Nation within which all manner of people live peacefully. Sadly the RSS favours the first and has used violent means to assert its views. Congress is opportunistically communal, the BJP is ideologically communal. There is a difference.

Modi was the sarthi on LK Adavni’s raths going nowhere.

2. Arati

Ravi,

If you don’t mind me saying so, your thoughts are far more lucid than those of the author of this particular article. 🙂

I totally agree with you on almost all points. However, let us not get ahead of ourselves in branding the current government as communal, secular etc. Notwithstanding the tongue tied response to the violence instigated by the RSS in bygone years, the BJP (which is distinct, though not disjoint from the RSS) has only had a short term at the centre, compared to the age old Congress (which has grown into this malicious power-hungry hydra, forgetting its humble beginnings). They (BJP) have yet to prove their credentials. Has the Congress successfully uprooted factionalism, regionalism and more recently racism from the Indian psyche? Have they even begun to scratch the surface after six decades of socio-economic reforms? Have other regional parties been benevolent towards the discriminated sections (Remember ‘Boys will be boys’?)? Hardly. Will the BJP work miracles? Unlikely. Politicians do not bother with such humanitarian agendas, except to reap dividends by exploitation during election time.
      BJP worked on the plank of development (mostly) during their election campaign, interspersed with instances of vitriolic communal outpour in sensitive pockets. Contrast this to the Congress practice of enlisting the many glorious achievements of their incumbent government and employing underhanded tactics of exciting caste and communal sentiments. The people are on the lookout for change, which has (frankly) been absent during the last two terms of the nepotism laden rule at the centre. Modi has successfully picked up the pulse of the masses and spun a neat blueprint of what he aims to do.

The RSS is not the ruling party. In Kerala, for instance, the UDF government is run mostly by the alliance of the Muslim League. However, the ideology of the latter does not feature in the policy sphere. Then how can the RSS (not even an alliance partner) covertly influence policy framework? If you think that is so, wait for the policies the present government churns out. We can dissect them for communal and partisan favouritism then.

BJP would now need to be doubly cautious of their future course of action, given the rampant bouts of scepticism from numerous quarters because of their past track record (Judge them by what they do now). But that is the inherent risk of voting anyone to power. You never know, who is next in line to be assassinated and which community will pay the price. Which big tree might cause the next big tremor? After all, being “opportunistically communal” poses a far greater threat (Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t).

Modi, a pracharak, is now the PM. Let him try to turn the rosy dreams of the deprived and the agitated sections into reality (as he promised). If he fails, we are all watching from the side-lines. He’ll be booted out less than five years from now.

There is no permanent hero here.

For a nation like India, being wary of mass massacres (that might not happen) must never compromise the greater motive of development. All we need to do is hold our horses and wait with bated breath.

3. Ravi

Arti.

Your judgement that I am not as lucid as the Rahul Maganti goes unchallenged. I myself rated the author as being better than me, in this very post. So no issues wrt that.

However, you in turn instead of countering my arguments go on to create an impossibly long list of new issues pointing to perceived failures of successive elected Congress governments. The only issue I have with that is your childish belief that somehow, as if by magic, a list will aggregate itself into an argument, stands failed in front of you.

RSS violence is current and not merely historic. Your plea to allow the PM Modi a chance by forgetting his previously crypto fascist avatar, has sadly fallen on deaf ears. For me the Hindufatwa ideology which underpins the BJP, matters more than Modi’s oratorical skills or his promise to deliver development do.

4. Aabhas

Dear Friend Ravi,
      I don’t know what the problem is with you?
      You said, “Modi has outsourced hard hitting and regressive elements of his Hinduatva ideology to many of his Safrronised side-kicks, while keeping the bog-roll for himself. Many of my friends who voted for Modi and count themselves among the new-right in India, are openly asking the question, did we give this man such a large mandate so he could get himself distracted by mundane hygiene elements.”

///How are you so sure that the flame is outsourced? Ok fine, even if it has been outsourced, what problem you have if in the meanwhile there is an opportunity to spread hygiene. Aren’t you excited for same or still you wish to live in the foul air around?….Coming back to the former thing, do you have clear concept about religions? Don’t you feel, calling yourself secular all the time and doing some favour to the minority makes you communal too? What is your take on the communal notch of Samajwadi party, Congress etc? What had happened to the notion of secularism when Abu Azmi spewed hatred? What happened to secularism when Owasi did the same? What happened to secularism when congress gave air to terrorism in Punjab?….Why didn’t you write any article then? Perhaps not for 1980’s but at least for the recent? What say? What happened to secularism when Pd.nehru favoured partition then not to become PM but Savarkar completely rejected a thought for the partition?

Any ways, you put a very relevant satire question- Are we a Hindu Nation, or are we a Nation within which all manner of people live peacefully…
      /// Man, the name of our nation is Hindustan by the fortune that the outsiders gave us a new name ‘The Hindus’ or else we were only the Arya. And fortunately 😛 the name changed from Aryawarta to Hindustan. Aryawarta was a name for the land of Arya people, similarly Hindustan is the land were Hindus reside. Afghanistan is the place were Afghans reside, its more geographical than the faith, isn’t it? Even Savarkar never mentioned Hindus as the way you have been feeling, viz, the one who wear ‘red tilak’ or ‘wear saffron’, though both contain very scientific realm. (To know you need to spend more time reading the Vedas than reading Wikipedia and other internet sources.) And needless to say, if Scientists like Oppenheimer, Heisenberg or Schrödinger can see the Vedic knowledge as no other than complete scientific zest then what’s your apprehension, until you have read it? (I can tell you many things about it, but right now I’m really out of time. In case you are interested, tell me, I shall open up the ‘Gutthhi’, though even I know pretty less. It is a vast field.)
      Another point, you talked about Ram Temple. I have already written something for the same while putting direct comment to the article but I shall brief you a little here too.

The Babri (so called Masjid) never fulfilled the basic architecture of being called the mosque for which Mughals had even prohibited people from offering prayers there. It was merely a triumphal symbol for the invader Babar’s conquest of Awadh and built by Mir Baqi, his general in year 1528. The historicity and archaeological evidence has already proven that there was a temple there.
      Secondly, if we can have statues and memorial of Pd.Nehru, Indira Gandhi then can’t we have a memorial for the best Human of the land, “Maryada Purushottam Rama”? History has already advocated for the existence of Rama as historic figure!
      Don’t you see, a triumphal symbol for an invader as a scar on the face of the very own motherland? How imprudent it is to prefer an ugly memorial for an invader neglecting the one for the best human for this land?…
      More than religious, this is matter of national pride, tomorrow shall you prefer a mosque at the name of Osama if by chance an ISIS activist just builds it and names the same?….UNDERSTAND MY DEAR BROTHER….
      You please read the book Ayodhya 6, 1992 by P. V. Narasimha Rao and “My Country My Life” by L K Adavani. Also read “Only Fatherland” by Arun Shourie. Read “A White Trail” by Haroon Khalid.

5. Arati

Ravi,

At the very outset, let me clarify – I said, “If you don’t mind me saying so, your thoughts are far more lucid than those of the author of this particular article. ” This obviously means that I find your points more lucid than those of the writer, Rahul Maganti (I was not being sarcastic). Having said that, your vociferous stance against the RSS and BJP contradicts your earlier claim of being neutral. This, however, is not entirely about your personal opinion. Would you care to validate your opinion through facts that are presently relevant? I went off on that hyperbole solely to underscore the reason for your distaste and bias. The past deeds of the RSS have made you sceptical with regard to the BJP, you are determined to prove that the two are hand in glove even now. I simply want to bring to your notice that this isn’t an Utopian universe where all diligent politicians will sincerely persevere for uplifting the masses. The term ‘diligent politician’ is an oxymoron. Every political party has its own skeletons to conceal in closets.

I do not believe in magic and Modi is no wizard to solve every man’s woes. But what alternative do you have? My opinion sounds childish, because it stems from the realistic circumstances evident in our polity. You make a fine case of painting the BJP and all associated entities in a bad light. I ask you again to kindly elucidate how you wish to overcome these faulty elements? Think practically, please. You are entitled to your opinion. When presented with two mainstream political figures, who represent the majority of the political cult in this country, the common man was bound to choose someone who has done something constructive rather than someone who hasn’t done anything for the past decade. You needn’t give the BJP a chance. They have the necessary mandate already.

Comparing the list of wrongs done by the Congress when in power is equally pertinent, because India had been reeling under the misrule of its lackadaisical government. Its flaws have been the major factors that overshadowed the communal/Hindutva ideology of the BJP. That the Sangh’s hardcore religious leanings did not resonate with the public is primarily due to the fact that Congress had all its faults exposed.

Presently, what has the RSS done to undermine the religious integrity/national identity of this country? Your fear is not ill-conceived, however, please do not be blinded by this fear. Scepticism (my present state of mind, as far as the government is concerned) is healthy, criticism is encouraged even, but regurgitating the same lines again and again (without citing instances in the present context) make your claims sound hollow.

For a country with a multitude of religions, secularism is the right path forward. But, on the other hand, religion/caste/race cannot always be removed completely from creeping into political discourse. Only when these elements undertake activities that put the ‘national identity’ (as you said) at risk, do we need to throw caution to the wind and raise accusations.

I perceive both the Congress and the BJP as two sides of the same coin (my stand is still unbiased)- the only difference being the Congress has lost all chances to redeem itself, whereas the BJP still has much to prove.

6. Ravi

Arti

Firstly, let me apologise for miss-reading your opening paragraph. I will not dwell on that apart from acknowledging it being entirely my fault. I blame my deep rooted inferiority complex for this mistake.
      I am not sure I ever claimed to be neutral. I am not. A combination of my liberal outlook on life and a modicum of belligerence in the make-up of my personality ensures that I oppose the RSS/BJP at every opportunity I get. Whilst I am embarrassed about this at cerebral level, emotionally I find the urge to point score difficult to resist.
      Allow me to summarise the point you are trying to make. I believe your present position is based upon the following facts as you see them.

1. The NEW RSS of Mohan Bhagwat is significantly different form the OLD RSS of Sarvarkar and Golwalker that I need to review my views about it.

2. The link between the RSS and the BJP is such that the BJP is not wholly dependent upon the RSS and that it does have a significant degree of independence and autonomy.

3. The RSS, the BJP and Modi are three distinctly different if somewhat interdependent entities and should be treated as such.
      I will address each of the above points and validate my opinions through facts that are presently relevant?

1. It goes without saying that over a period of 80 years any organisation will change, and in that respect the RSS is no different. However, what has changed and by how much will determine if the time has come for me to change my sceptical views about it. Swami Aseemanand is currently alive and languishing in prison. His testimony, denied or otherwise, has implicated Mohan Bhagwat in the Samjhota Express Bombings, etc. Maya Kodanani is currently out on bail from a life sentence (yes you read it correctly) for distributing arms to rioting crowds post Godhra incident. Maya Kodanani comes from a long line of people who are in the RSS. For the sake of brevity I will not mention other court cases currently in progress involving RSS individuals (note I am avoiding the term member). These are presently relevant cases which point to violent tactics of the NEW RSS. The fact these incidents were aimed at one specifically chosen minority connects the NEW RSS to the ideology of Sarvarkar and Golwalker of the old RSS.
      The term Hindu and India being described as a Hindu Nation has been elastically stretched by the RSS over the last 80 years, it has variously been termed as a religion and as a term describing a life-style and culture. Recently, Mohan Bhagwat revised this term agian, making it a bit more inclusive than his predecessors ever did. However, it is still somewhat exclusive and detached from contemporary ground reality.
      RSS has for a long time and still continues to insist – in BJP ruled states – that all children, even Muslims, sing Vandemattram. This is purely a goading exercise, designed to elicit a reaction which can then be conveniently dubbed as being anti-national. It is to counter this that Modi felt it necessary to make the point that Indian Muslims live and die for India.
      As you can see, I see no evidence of a change in ideology or political tactics of the RSS, so I see no reason to review my views wrt to it.
      2. Modi’s candidature for potential PM was proposed, endorsed and shepherded by the RSS and Mohan Bhagwat personally. The RSS was fully involved in dealing with the political machinations of LK Advani both before and after the elections. RSS has forever provided its cadre manpower to the BJP, for canvassing during the elections. So please tell me in what way is the BJP independent of the RSS. The relationship is clearly that of a sponsor and client. There are countless incidents which suggest that the RSS micro manages BJP’s affairs. In excess of 90% of BJP leaders are also senior members of the RSS, Gadkari, Joshi, Rajnath, just to name a few. I would like the BJP to be an independent right of centre political party, sadly it continues to be a political front of the crypto fascist RSS.

3. I will concede that Modi as a PM is behaving differently than both; Modi as a candidate and Modi as a Prachark of the RSS. However, how much independence will the RSS allow the BJP remains to be seen. As recently as this morning the RSS from its Conference in Lucknow, issued a Fatwa that the Government has 5 more years within which it has to build the Ram temple.

As far as Congress is concerned, it has had to deal with calamities such as the assassination of Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi. Time has come to inject new – possibly non-Gandhi – blood into Congress and for it to provide a left of centre opposition to the BJP.

I hope you are able to appreciate poetry, I describe myself using the following line written by Majrooh Sultanpuri.

सर पे टोपी लाल, हाथ में रेशम का रुमाल
      ओह तेरा क्या कहना

Notice the creation of a compound symbol combining red beret and a silken hand-kerchief.

7. Arati

Ravi,

I love poetry and symbolism too to a certain extent. I understand where you are coming from, since I too have had to disregard my past misgivings w.r.t. Modi and BJP. Hopefully, I will not be proven wrong.

You’ve raised a valid point, which neatly summarises my opinion of the entire issue. You say, “I will concede that Modi as a PM is behaving differently than both; Modi as a candidate and Modi as a Prachark of the RSS. However, how much independence will the RSS allow the BJP remains to be seen.”

I’m not one of the frenzied members of Modi’s fan club. His blitzkrieg campaigns and repetitive speeches did not resonate with the many promises I was looking forward to. Still, he has painted an image of himself as the loud, boisterous doer-either to redeem his past avatar or emerge as the new harbinger of hope for the masses.

I have had to reluctantly accept him as a national leader because:

a) He is a stand-alone entity with no worthy opponents. His supporters have grown exponentially because of the existent skewed power equation. The vacuum left in the wake of an absent opposition has garnered greater dividends for him. The Congress, in the dumps of history now, has failed to counter Modi’s aggressive persona, with an able contemporary. That, in essence, has strengthened him more than public approval for his tall promises.

b) The BJP has been trying to infuse fresh blood into it cadres (e.g. Captain Abhimanyu in Haryana), assigning mentorship roles to the elderly members. In contrast, Congress’ vehement defence and oblivious sycophancy of the Gandhi-Nehru family has proven counterproductive for its electoral fortunes. This blatant brown-nosing has compromised the interests of the nation for far too long. Nepotism is far entrenched in the realms of the Congress now for it to escape scathe-free. A major metamorphosis and timely intervention alone can be its saving grace.

c) Even though some of his MPs have dark dealings and money laundering scams as part of their resume, Modi, himself has carefully steered clear of corruption. His attempts to curry favour with corporate giants hasn’t translated into personal monetary gains. He has worked for strengthening the Sangh that nurtured him, later, the party that provided fertile ground for his political ambitions and now, the country that has pinned its hopes on him. He stands a fighting chance. Any more leak in the public exchequer will devastate the fragile economic order in India, and Modi, shouldering the huge responsibility of reawakening the Indian economy, would be wary of this.

d) He has launched a plethora of initiatives since assuming office- sanitation campaign (some of it labelled as grand photo-op), reforms in the economic sphere (appointment of Arvind Subramanian, who had been critical of the maiden Modi budget, as Chief Economic Adviser shows his zest to handpick efficient personnel for high offices), a robust foreign policy compared to ten years of the rather pusillanimous approach (most changes have been cosmetic, but the operative word here is ‘changes’), an online platform to ensure participation of netizens in policy framing, greater thrust on technological development, a propensity to take risks etc. I wouldn’t enumerate all that has been done, because I’m yet to be entirely convinced.

e) The top leadership of Vajpayee and Advani took responsibility for the rout of the BJP in 2004. The Congress has attributed blame to all contenders to save face, except level accusations against the first family.

You are entitled to your opinion and I agree with you on most counts. However, in India, one is forced to choose leaders based on relative performances. Modi, an unknown figure in national politics (till recently), claims to function on a different plane (his present role will be the litmus test for his loyalties). Whether he succeds or not, only time will tell.

P.S. : Inferiority complex? Really? Your loud and clear voice has obliterated that little claim to smithereens.

34. Dev Malya

There are many things to counter though I am not a specialist but one thing I will say that Muslim league formed in 1906 and RSS in 1925 and VHP in 1964 so clearly its not the RSS or VHP which destroyed the idea of India but the Muslim league and it is Jinnah who with his Two-nation theory based on religion paved the way, RSS and VHP just responded, so blaming just RSS and VHP for everything is complete Bullshit and by the way compare the amount of human rights violations faced by minorities in Islamic countries including Pakistan with Indian situation and you will find that in India majority Hindus are far more tolerant and even the ugliest fanatic Hindus is not a match for hardcore Jihadis and as for economic policy, well it’ll take some time, stay with me!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-nation_theory

http://storyofpakistan.com/two-nation-theory-the-myth-the-reality/

1. Ravi

WoW. Let me address the issues you raise.

No doubt that Muslim League is one of the Villains in the story of India’s creation and Partition. I will go further and blame the Muslim league for the potential destruction of Pakistan. So no issues wrt the role played by the Muslim League. However the issue I have is the Hindu Right’s response to Muslim League. In short The Hindu Right just formed a carbon copy of Muslim League and may as well have called themselves the Hindu League. That then does not give us any moral high-ground or the right to call ourselves as tolerant secular. The logical development from the Hindu League is Hindu taliban and sadly that is what RSS volunteers are.

I am not sure you grasp the significance of your second point, minorities do not fare well in ISLAMIC countries. Likewise minorities will not farewell in a HINDU country. The fact that they do, is because India is a secular and not a Hindu country. Let us touch base 20 years after the changing of Indian constitution to a Hindu constitution.

More from Rahul Maganti

By YLAC India

By YLAC India

By Dasra