This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Katyayini Kabir Kakar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Worried About What That Shampoo Might Be Doing To Your Hair? The ‘No Poo’ Method Is For You!

By Katyayini Kabir Kakar:

A new movement is slowly taking over the beauty brigade of the world. It’s the era of theNo poo. The latest fad in the lives of natural product apologists, it’s all about ditching the shampoo and going au-naturel. Yes, they do wash their hair, not with store bought formulations, packed deceptively in shiny bottles, but with stuff picked up from the food aisle of grocery stores. The thought behind it being – if it’s good enough to eat, it will definitely be safe for your precious locks.

Incidentally, the word shampoo is derived from the Hindi word ‘champu’, which means ‘to press and knead’.The earliest known hair wash ingredients were not sulfate laden solutions, but plants and herbs picked from the nature’s lap. But the dawn of the 20th century brought with itself a society which promoted rampant consumerism and created a culture of luxury and consumption. Shampoos are said to contain chemical additives such as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, fragrances, parabens, 1,4-dioxane, amongst others, which are known to be skin irritants. By stripping the natural oils (sebum) off the scalp, they cause the scalp to produce more oil to compensate for the loss. Thus creating a vicious cycle of shampoo-rinse-repeat.

shampoo info

The ‘no poo’ method uses baking soda instead of shampoo, and apple cider vinegar rinse as a conditioner. Baking soda removes grease and dirt, and the vinegar conditions and adds a shine. This inexpensive method is getting rave reviews as more and more people are waking up to the fact that their shampoos are doing more harm than good. There is also the ‘low poo method’, which is a fairly less adventurous method, for those who do not wish to give up on shampoos completely. ‘The low poo method involves the use of gentler shampoo bars, which are made from vegan ingredients and are sulfate free. These bars are prepared from an old-fashioned formulae, which makes these all-natural bath products safe to use. Some prominent shampoo bars are by the English companies – Lush and JR Liggett’s and the American ‘Chagrin Valley’.

no poo1

Proponents of the method have also formed support groups on social networking sites to help old followers and guide new converts. One such group is the No poo and low poo haircare group on Facebook. With over 12,000+ members, this community has people from all over the world, sharing problems, exchanging solutions and more. With tons of success stories being posted everyday, one can see that the no-poo family just keeps growing. If this is the beginning of a new era or just a passing fad, only time will tell. Till then, do try out and decide for yourself which side are you on. Poo or No Poo?

1. anika verma

Hey where is Babar? :p

1. Fem

He came, he saw and he failed yet again to conquer 😉

2. Templetwins

He may not be the commenter that YKA needs right now, but he’s the commenter YKA deserves 😛

3. anika verma

Oh yeah! He is here. And he is turning into a troll. Look what have you done YKA! :p

2. Babar

Adhering to feminist standards of equality, I think it would be well within my right to question why this article is women oriented, talks about the safety of precious locks only, and contains a sole picture of a woman.

Blatant sexism.

1. Sofia

Men can’t experience sexism.
      Take your ass and your ignorance away, please.

2. Babar

Sofia, your very statement “men can’t experience sexism” is sexist and misandrist. Search Google and Youtube with ‘sexism against men’, ‘violence against men’, and ‘misandry in the media’.

3. Hailey

Where are you getting that this article is geared towards only women? There isn’t a mention of either sex in the article, the word “woman” is not even written in it.

4. Anca

you realize that the author never used the word “woman” ?
      it’s about shampoo and how harmful it is for PEOPLE

5. Humayun

Kya papa aap bhi. Chill karo thoda.

6. Hailey Chapman

I’m not sure Babar where you are coming to that conclusion.
      The word woman was never used through ought the whole article so how you deciphered it was only applicable to woman and the importance of feminine hair care I’m not too sure.
      I find the safety of “precious locks” important whether those locks belong to a man or woman.
      The article was well written, well-researched, and presented very well as well as being entirely gender-nonspecific. Applauds to your efforts Katyayini!

7. anika verma

Do not feed the troll dear “women” :p

3. Sarah

Awesome article! Very well written. I’ve been non-traditional No Poo (i use eggs, clay, honey, lemon juice etc vs BS/ACV) since February and I am never going back! I’ve even converted my sister and a friend to No Poo and my mom and best friend to Low Poo. Everyone needs to jump on board this awesome train!

4. Carla

Babar, the article has not once mentioned the word woman or targeted women whatsoever. Are mens locks be less precious to you, you seem to perceive the article that way.

I have been no poo since July 16th and have used bs and acv, DWV and now use Rye flour and water only rinsing in between. I now go 14 days + without washing my hair, because it doesn’t need to be washed! I use a BBB daily and my hair has never felt thicker, stronger, healthier and looks shinier. My reason wasn’t to combat the chemicals but was because after visiting Dr’s for blood tests they just could not find a reason for my loss and scalp dermatitis. Since ditching shampoo and conditioner my hair loss has stopped (bar the usual shedding) and the dermatitis is gone. I will never go back!
    I am too a member of the no poo low poo open group, and also a no poo closed group on Facebook and all the ladies in there are extremely helpful at sharing their knowledge. No poo is not a one size fits all type of deal, it takes some experimentation and determination to get through the transition period, but it’s worth it in the end.

5. Kanika K

Really want to give it a try…tired of poo

6. Veronica

Very well written! I’m happy to say I’ve been no-poo since March ’14. I use baking soda, egg yolks, coffee, and peppermint tea. My hairstylist has complimented how my hair lately is the healthiest she has seen it in 5 years. She was a bit shocked when I told her what I’m doing but told me to keep doing it. No-poo is the best, I will not go back to commercial shampoos!

7. Anastasia

Babar, you pretend to be concerned but have somehow overlooked that this article is entirely gender neutral!

Great article, but I wish it had included that there are dozens of other no-poo methods such as coconut milk and aloe, or rye flour 🙂

8. Neha

So that means no oiling your hair??

9. Chaitra

Dear Babar,
    I always read your comments and trust me, not even once have I found them logical. Whenever there is any article about women empowerment or Feminism, you keep commenting utter nonsense like ‘Feminism is harmful’, ‘women are gold diggers’ blah blah blah…. When I went through this particular article, I thought you will at least spare this. But no!! I was wrong, here you are with the most illogical comment I have ever seen! As the earlier commentators specified, not even the word ‘women’ was used in this article. It speaks about shampoo ad no-poo. I don’t have the slightest idea that from where is you brain able to find a link between no-poo method and feminism. So after reading all your comments what I understand is that you just hate women and feminism. You want to somehow link feminism with anything and everything you find on this website! It would be really nice if you stop doing that since no one is as dumb as you are to support you or believe in your words. I pray God to bless you with common sense.

10. Mayank

What the heck. Never knew about this. What a world we are living in? Will do some more research and probably kick out my bottle of head & shoulders.

11. henryswipes

This is really informative post and I personally would like to appreciate the efforts. We are also dealing in same field hence found this informative to add in our process also. Once again thanks for your post.

More from Katyayini Kabir Kakar

By Pushpendra Singh

By YLAC

By Avinash Tavares