This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anesa Kratovac. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why A Man Wore Sanitary Napkins And How He Changed The Lives Of Many

More from Anesa Kratovac

By Anesa Kratovac:

There are many social issues in India that could be solved with a bit of exploration, innovative thinking and passion behind solving the issue at hand. Many individuals have taken it upon themselves to tackle everyday problems and have made great progress with determination to make lives of those around them better. It was precisely a few months ago that I heard of a man who revolutionized women’s gynaecological health in rural areas of India, without much formal education but with plenty of curious insight.

Photo Credit
Photo Credit

The story goes something like this: a married man was outraged to find that his wife was using unsterilized cloth as a sanitary napkin and asked her why she wasn’t buying disposable ones instead. She stated that it was the high cost and inaccessibility that deterred her, and that most women in their village had the same issue. In fact, it is estimated that approximately 68% of rural women in India cannot afford sanitary napkins.

The man is named Arunachalam Muruganantham, and he was outraged that his wife had to choose between buying family meals and affording a monthly batch of sanitary napkins. That’s when he became obsessed. He started studying the mechanics of a sanitary napkin and went so far as to even study discarded ones- to the point where his wife and family thought he was going crazy. But there was no stopping him. In order to understand if he could replicate a comfortable sanitary napkin at a low cost, Arunachalam started thinking about material he could use as a base for the product- which was wood fiber- and what he would have to do to produce sanitary napkins at a low cost for the women in the village. It took him plenty of experimentation before he perfected his product. What he did is what every successful social entrepreneur does: he made a prototype of his idea and tested it himself in order to get a sense of it and improve it. He was a very inspired innovator and he even wore his product with animal blood in order to understand how it feels. Now, that is human-centric design to the core!

What Arunachalam was able to accomplish is phenomenal. He took four years to study the mechanics in order to design a machine that would make sanitary napkins at a fraction of the cost of the machinery used in regular factories. Since then, he formalized his production into Jayaashree Industries, and his sanitary napkins have been sold all over rural India for the affordable price of 1 rupee a piece. The patent for his machinery has designed over 255 machines creating sanitary pads in 14 states in India. Here, Arunachalam explains his own story of triumph over what many would think would be improbable, given his lack of education and rural background.

Indeed, at present, there are approximately 312 million women in India who don’t have access to sanitary napkins- that is 9 out of 10 women. Arunachalam’s empathy and unrelenting desire to help his wife and other women led to a domino effect of an impact that is helping many women across India. Social Enterprises such as Akaar Innovations also currently work to produce low-cost sanitary napkins in rural India, and, at the same time, to lower the stigma of menstruation.

Similar to Arunachalam’s story, I often hear of everyday individuals thinking of simple ideas that led to revolutionary impact on their communities. India is truly a country full of innovative spirit and social entrepreneurship. Yet, it requires many more innovators to join the ranks of social entrepreneurs in order to deal with complex social problems that cannot be solved by institutions staffed by those that do not live with them or are not exposed to them on a daily basis.

Innovation in every field will bring prosperity and development to India, including its agricultural yield production (which is presently lowest in the world), as well as simple methods of fighting poverty sustainably. If India can succeed in putting a Mars rover in space on the first try- something that hasn’t been accomplished by any nation so far- it can surely produce state of the art technical, social and economic solutions for its own people. Only 50 years ago, many countries of the world were recovering from World War II, rebuilding their cities and economies. Today, the cities like Tokyo, and London have not only recovered but have grown to be one of the most prosperous and innovative cities in the world. India has had the same head-start since its independence, but its cities are crumbling under bad urban infrastructure and its rural areas are equally devastated by poverty and lack of progress. So, the question is, where does India go from here?

Let’s make India synonymous with innovation! Be part of the revolution.

1. Babar

Women depend on men for their needs, and then preach equality.

1. Fem

This is really really interesting. I specifically came to check this article’s comment section because I was sure there could be nothing associated with men vs women on this article and therefore I would not see you here.

But here you are! 😀

I do not know what ‘needs’ a woman is depending on men here in a process which is biological. She produces, she discharges – The pain, the discomfort, the joys are all her own here; given to her by nature. Or was I wrong all these years? Its actually men of the world who are behind regulation and maintenance of periods?

And we would love to have equality here too. We have been praying since we could pray, for the men to have periods too at-least once in life. Hasn’t happened till now. Doesn’t look like it would ever. So demand for equality here is quashed again.

2. Babar

Thanks for your opinion, but it is a man who has invented cheap pads for women, and it is men behind most of the inventions in the world, from which women benefit. Not to mention how men provide for women with monetary benefits. There is no such thing as equality. There can never be.

3. Fem

The man is an entrepreneur. He is not ‘providing’ for anybody. He is a businessman. Who products are ‘bought’ by women.

“There is no such things as equality”.- Yes, for the first time in my life I agree with you.

“There can never be” – With men like you ensuring it, it does seem feasible. But it would happen. One day its going to happen. You are a dying breed Babar. Dying very very slowly. But dying all the same.

4. Babar

I respect your thoughts, but with all the socio-political and legal benefits women have, I don’t think gender equality is achievable. Ever.

5. Babar

If a woman had invented cheap pads, you would not be calling her an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs work for profit, he works for humanity – women in this case. However, feminists cannot digest the fact that a man has done something to help them.

6. Fem

Feminists are completely digesting the fact that a man has done something to help rural/lower economical strata women. That is why this man is trending everywhere. Its women everywhere who have shown their unwavering support to him.

But there are certain men who instead of simply appreciating him, use this platform and his name to once again bash women up. Its these kinds of men who are indigestible.

7. Fem

If a woman have invented these pads, why would I not call her an entrepreneur is beyond me. But since you know me and other women better than us, I am sure you would have an answer.

Help us by not enlightening us on this. It would simply fill up space and would waste of our time reading.

8. Babar

I appreciate the good work being done by him, and I am glad that women are at ease due to his efforts. My only point is, men work for women all the time and provide them with comforts and luxuries, so we don’t need rants on equality. Thanks.

2. pallavi

Hi

I am from Mumbai. I would like to know where can i buy the napkins produced by Mr. Arunachalam. Much respect to him and his work.

thanks.

1. Anesa Kratovac

Hi Pallavi,

You can find the product information here: http://newinventions.in/overview.aspx. All my best!

More from Anesa Kratovac

By Ashutosh Kashyap

By Earth Day Network India

By Manash Upadhyaya