My College Discriminates Against Girls, And We Are Not Allowed To Have A Problem With It

Submitted Anonymously:

How long will this college get away with saying that Allahabad is not a safe city for girls? How long will they continue to hide behind the argument that the 500 metres of public road between the girls’ hostel and the main college is not secure? The girls are frustrated, and infuriated by the authorities cowering behind the smokescreen of “safety issues of girls”. The girls’ hostel closes at 8PM. This means that the girls cannot access the college central library after that even though it stays open for the boys till midnight. They don’t even have a separate library to refer to after “dark”, should they wish to. This clearly hinders the academic progress of women. The college says that if someone has a problem with the hostel rules, they can find their own accommodation. But isn’t this a government college?

MNNIT allahabad

On 7th March, a certain path in the college was declared off limits for girls. The notice clearly stated that the “girl students” are not to use the shortcut road. Even though there is hardly anyone in the college who follows this rule, the fact that such a discriminatory and demeaning notice was passed in a National Institute of Technology, is appalling. It’s high time that the college authorities understand that times are evolving, and unless they evolve with it, there’s going to be a struggle ahead. The girls will not stay quiet forever, and neither will the boys for that matter. Declaring some routes in the college as off-limits for just one section of the students is not just a restriction on the liberty of girls, it is an offensive question on the morality of the boys in the college as well.

The recent incidences of moral policing have done more to stir discontent among the students than perhaps anything before. The college needs to stop thinking of social interaction between boys and girls as an unpardonable crime. They need to stop mirroring the image of a boy and girl sitting together in an obscene light. In a few months, many of the students shall be working at multinational corporations, with huge responsibilities. If they are mature enough to take decisions involving fortunes of a big company, surely they can decide when, where and with whom to be.

Restrictive timing in only girls’ hostels reflects gender bias on campus. It takes away the right to equality. Disallowing girls to use a path in the college, and having less number of hours for them in the library is a matter of restricting the mobility of girls, and taking away from them resources that are available to boys. It is a blot on the right to equality. And the issue of moral policing is not just interfering in the personal lives of students; it is hindering their right to freedom. The highest authorities in the college cannot stay passive forever. The students are dissatisfied. This dissatisfaction will soon turn into fury. Once that happens, there will be no smokescreen to cower behind.

The author wishes to remain anonymous.

Also read: The ‘Honour’ That ‘Needs’ Protection: Why Do College Campuses Refuse To See Women As Adults?

1. Babar

Where is equality when boys are punished more strictly in schools and colleges all over the world, over the same behaviour and lack of work and attention in class. Boys are beaten, sent to stand outside class, made to stand with their arms raised, slapped, and a host of other forms of punishment, while girls are just given a verbal warning – What happened to equality?

1. Sambhavi

There are some instances where boys aren’t treated well, which is equally a problem. Competing for who is most vulnerable isn’t going to help. The fact that this society is misinformed about questions regarding gender in general needs to be addressed.

2. anonymous

If you’re gonna stay that thick and unprecedented to understandability then only god can help us.

3. someone

Plz.

We are not playing oppression olympics here. Keep your conservative, Muslim ass away.

4. Mahima

Hey, Mr. Babur why do I see your infuriating and demeaning comments in almost every forum? You have only one point of debate which you keep posting everywhere. Dude grow up and steer away from the stigma of discrimation against boys. A few incidents which seem to victimise the boys come nowhere near the appaling state of women in our country.

2. Monistaf

The real problem is with responsibility and accountability in educational institutions. If and when something happens to a girl on campus, no body assigns any responsibility or accountability to the girl. It is everyone else’s fault, primarily the men on campus and the authorities that are not doing enough to protect the girl. I am sure that there are plenty of boys who live in hostels in the same campus that go out, get assaulted, robbed, mugged or taken advantage of, but no one blames the authorities for what happened to them. In fact, the most common reaction is that he was stupid to go out that late and hopefully has learned his lesson. When was the last time you saw assaults against a boy make the headlines? Are we all so naive to believe that they never happen? Crime is an equal opportunity disease that we are forced to deal with. The difference is in how we, as a society, react to it. When the victims are women, we tend to blame everyone else. All too often if someone tries to understand why a woman was victimized, we say that he or she is making excuses for the crime. Analyzing why a crime was committed is NOT the same as blaming the victim, it is part of a logical process of understanding and trying to prevent similar crimes in the future. When we suppress logic and insist on constantly perpetuating the victim status of women, that they are weak, incapable of protecting themselves and need extra care, we are holding the authorities responsible for their security and safety, allowing them to justify the restrictions in place. If the adult women in these hostels and their parents can accept responsibilities for their own safety, I am sure the authorities will be happy to remove all those restrictions. I personally would like to treat women as adults, capable of taking responsibility for their own actions, living with the consequences of their own decisions and not some weak, incapable children that constantly need to be protected and controlled.

1. Concerned_Alumnus

Well, let’s think about this.

First: Accountability and responsibility in educational institutions have nothing to do with the girls’ parents. Girls are adults and should be self accountable and responsible. There is a part for the authorities to play, ie, provide a safe environment for both genders – this at MNNIT involves providing a well lit campus, accessible facilities and robust security of the campus.

Second: Let’s consider a benchmark – IIT Kanpur. There isn’t a difference in accountability and responsibility, just the authorities’ approach to it. The campus is well lit at night, libraries and facilities are accessible and students can mingle the way THEY (emphasis here) deem appropriate. And it’s KANPUR, for God’s sake.

Therefore, for MNNIT to take a different (more authoritarian and restrictive) approach than IITK, one or more of these must have to be true:
      1. Allahabad (or Teliarganj in particular) is more unsafe than Kanpur
      2. Students at MNNIT are more likely to commit crimes than those of IITK
      3. Authorities are backward and uninterested in change, more specifically, the mingling of the genders

From my time in MNNIT (2003-2007), haven’t seen any evidence of 1 or 2. I’m rather sad that it is the 3rd that is true.

– A very concerned alumnus

2. Monistaf

That is what I said, treat girls as adults, responsible for their own individual actions. Parents, all too often, blame the institution and authorities if something happens. It is true for both genders, but when it comes to male students, it is too often dismissed with “he is a boy and should be able to deal with it”, or “he is a boy and will get over it”. The overwhelming outpouring of public sympathy when the victim is a girl oftentimes assigns all responsibility on the authorities and the educational institution which eventually leads to impractical and frustrating restrictions for girls as described in this article. If we can all accept that both boys and girls are responsible adults and project the same attitudes towards victims of both genders we should be able to ease up on those stifling restrictions. I do not personally think it has anything to do with discouraging mingling between the sexes.

3. Logic#@$

It seems the only frustration that the author has is that he/she is not able to spend more time with his/her girlfriend/boyfriend!

1. FINALyear

Douche bags like you have spread such narrow stereotypical notions among all. you should rather be a BABA and go to himalayas

4. anonymous

why would u like to stay out late night ? 😉

1. Anonymopus

OH hello dumbfuck.

there’s life beyond all this girlfriend and boyfriend thing….!
      8’o clock in time for girls is surely frustrating for them….
      1st year boys are not allowed to be outside hostel after 8:30 in the evening, so I can very well understand their agony!

5. Anonymous

When the hostel timing was 8:30 PM then also there was a dissemination that girls can not board the bus provided by the college at 8:00 PM from Civil lines to Campus.
    Authorities of college are not working in sensible way. Like why authorities putting the rules for all girls when some of the girls breaking their old rules they are making a new rule for all girls. Why the authorities not punishing culprit why they are punishing everyone else except that girl.

6. Argumentative Indian

Excuse me miss! You seem to be heavily inspired by the feminist ideology with minimum interaction with reality. I will not go for a long comment because a simple and short one will be enough to clear the fog of your mind. Will you give a signed consent letter from you or your parents (in case you are still not an adult) that “Whatever be the consequences of removing the boundations , the only person responsible for that will be me.”??

If something is for your own safety, how can you call it ‘discrimination’? Going by your faulty definition, i think little babies should be allowed on roller coaster. Or pregnant women should be allowed as sprinters.. no?

Grow up dear.

1. Dawood

” Will you give a signed consent letter from you or your parents (in case you are still not an adult) that “Whatever be the consequences of removing the boundations , the only person responsible for that will be me.”??”

there’s no need. college students are adults. they’re already responsible for their actions and choices. the college’s paternalism and your assholism is entirely unnecessary.

2. Anonymus

Yes you “concerned” asshole,

The girls who gave this consent and went to a tech fest in other college and stayed there for night was heavily punished even then. Why then?

3. Fem

And yet again we have someone who believes that if women want to live a life as an independent individual, any crime against them would solely be their fault.

4. Logical Human Being

Mr. Argumentative Indian, it is the responsibility of every institution to foster a safe environment for every gender, class, religion, without discrimination. The institution is equally responsible for a guy being mugged and a girl being raped, and I apologize for stereotyping the victim’s gender. There are solutions and there are easy solutions. If girls forced to take responsibility for being assaulted on campus grounds, they will be excepted to be expected to take responsibility for being sexually harassed at work, if they work late hours. You might be okay with limiting the females in your life to jailing themselves at 8 pm (6 pm in some colleges), choosing a safe career with daylight jobs, and seeing every male counterpart as a potential rapist, but I certainly am not!

5. I’m Just A Regular Guy

So, hypothetically, say we extended your logic to the REAL world:

The Police are not responsible for your safety if you’re outside city limits. After all, if you wanted to stay safe, you should never have come outside the safety of the city.

The administration of the nation is not the problem of your representatives and Ministers, because you should take responsibility of yourself, after all. If you were a good person, there wouldn’t be any corruption anywhere, right? <– (Sarcasm)

When someone steals all the money from every account in your bank, it's not like it's the bank's fault, right? If you wanted your money safe, you should've kept it in a different bank.

7. Rajneet Mathur

Is wesite ka naa “youth ki” nahi “choot ki awaz” hona chahiye …… where are these femnazis when girls get the CA (choot allowance …. common guys we all know what it means) in VIVA’s, Grades, Campus Interviews and promotions….. us time discrimination nahi dikhai deta??? DOUBLE STANDARDS!!

1. someone

frustrated because women are performing better ? Go to hell.

2. N

You are such a such a shame on your mother (and father)

8. Nikku

Awww…you can’t access library.!!!
    At least be honest…my time 2006-2010, I had guys who published papers in international conferences and guys who scored 9+ CPIs and they never needed to venture into library after first semester.
    Ironically, MNNIT supports IEEE browser.
    Please be honest, don’t play the AMU card for media attention:”oh able bechari girls of MNNIT deprived of resources such as libraries “….
    tell them why you need the extra time :’)

1. Anonymous

you need psychological help… people like you spread the narrow mentality. basically, the “truth” about why girls need “extra time” acccording to you makes me think that guys get extra time for the same thing… aaaand in that case, its a serious orientation problem for college.

2. N

Then, sure as hell, boys should have restricted timings as well. Ya tumhe internet access karni nahi aati?

9. Alumni

Okay just talking aside.. If u really want to do something.. Write to college dean and keeping HRD ministry in CC (with “suitable” mail-id of course

10. aBadMan

Authority should take the necessary action by voting the demand of students…
    Then sign a letter of no responsibility from students and parents ..
    Make its a public notice we are not responsible for any act lest we shall provide security spots with help line number to reach.

College admin will provide minimum possible security, and students have their own security responsibility and for any misdeed they shall be expelled without any showcase notice .

Because if it is not declared at first place, this media will make fuck out of the college for both cases. If you take precaution they will say its harsh and if not they will say its careless.

*PS : prevention is better than cure

1. I’m Just A Regular Guy

Why on earth should ANYone be made to sign a letter of no responsibility to the college? Do you even know what kind of legal hassles that entails?
      Do you know of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy? The government signed off on an agreement to not have Union Carbide take any liability in case of an accident. Who got fucked? Not the Government, and not Union Carbide.
      Unless a student literally jumps off a building, or gets drunk and dies or kills, the administration of the college should take responsibility for all residents of the campus.

11. I’m Just A Regular Guy

If something happens to someone inside the campus, it IS the college administration’s fault, whether that person was a guy or a girl. If a girl gets assaulted it’s the administration’s fault, and if a guy gets mugged it’s still the administration’s fault. Kya security waalon ko lauda hilaane ko rakhte hain kya? I realize that it’s not possible for them to be everywhere at every time, but there is something known as a Tight Patrol!
    Should guys not be kept safe too? You’re telling me that every guy on that campus right now is fully capable of defending himself against anything? Why don’t you extend the curfew for EVERYone to 8:30, then?

By Ananya Anand

By Snigdha Gupta

By You're Wonderful Project;