This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Artika Raj. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Honey Singh’s “Daaru Anthem” That I Refuse To Sing, And Why

More from Artika Raj

By Artika Raj:

My first draft of this piece had me very consciously keeping those claws in, lest the article turn into yet another rant on how yet another song by bhai Honey Singh is an assault on the senses, glorifying the horrifying and just plain Wrong! But then I realised, why must I hold back? If in the ‘Free World’ he has the right to unleash what he terms music upon unsuspecting happened-to-have-their-radio-on ears, then so do I. If the ayes who support him argue that well you could have turned the radio off, then we the nay sayers suggest that you can leave this page too. Meow.

Of the many life lessons Mr. Yo Yo has taught his fans so far in his songs, this latest one goes right up there with the best because not only does it glorify what is a huge problem that our country is facing, but asks people to be proud of it – Haan main alcoholic hoon… pee ke bhi seedha khada hoon, kyunki main alcoholic hoon (Yes, I’m an alcoholic. I can stand straight even after drinking, because I’m an alcoholic). Intervention, Honey Singh style.

honey_singh_alcoholic

Pitted as the ‘Drinker’s Anthem’, this new song by our rapper from Punjab, that state which is currently caught in a deep and dark crisis of drugs and alcohol, bases itself on some very sound logic. The sort of very ingenious Indian defence that if it were only allowed in our courts, the backlog that is dragging down our judicial system would be taken care of sooner than you could say… hmm… YoYo?! That’s the ‘What goes of your father’ line of defence — Tere baap ka kya jaata hai?!

Apni peeun kisi ke baap ki nahin, Main Alcoholic hoon (I drink my own booze, and not of someone’s papa’s. I’m an alcoholic). Yes I’m a party freakin’ crazy. But really now, what goes of your father?!

True enough Mr. Singh. Your argument apart from being flawless is also an exercise in teaching people some tolerance. Why must anyone take offence if a person decided to down chaar bottle vodka and have a merry time? The ‘my liver, I shall trash’ line of thought is indeed valid.

And yet, here are just a few reasons why I won’t be doing the Macarena to this song at the next party:

Over 70% road accidents in big cities and 44% to 67% in smaller cities are attributed to drinking and driving, and that’s the leading cause of death of those in the 15 to 29 age group. The very productive demographic that our Prime Minister hopes is going to turn this country’s fortunes around with their ‘Mouse’.

India by the way is already leading the South Asian region in one department — alcohol consumption.

The alcoholic party freakin’ crazy people that Mr. Singh is preaching to, ought to know that the WHO’s Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2014, rates India 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 on the ‘Years of Life Lost’ scale. This means that those who consume alcohol lose most of their could-have-lived-happily years to drinking and its consequences.

And of course the party is starting really young now, as suggested by a report by NIMHANS that says that the age of starting alcohol consumption has come down from 28 years in the 1980s to about 17 in 2007. What begins as an experiment, has now turned into an addiction that lasts for an average of ten years.

And let’s not forget the big picture:

A NIH report says that in 2012, 5.9% of all global deaths accounting for 3.3 million people (7.6% male and 4% female) were linked to alcohol consumption. That it also contributes to over 200 diseases and injury-related health conditions, like cancer, liver cirrhosis and alcohol dependence among others. And that alcohol abuse is the fifth leading factor for ‘premature death and disability; among people between the ages of 15 and 49’.

Not really the sort of stuff you break out into a jig over, right?!

In the past brother Honey Singh has faced controversy for allegedly glorifying rape in one of his songs. I’m choosing here to skip over the other misogynistic, chauvinistic and various other tics that his many songs have espoused. But just when I thought that we’ve probably heard the worst that could be strung together in a so-called-melody and be called a song, there is this. But of course, The Shaukeens Akshay Kumar and Lisa Haydon find romance in grooving and grinding to Daaruko main dudhu ki tarah pee jaaun, apni peeun tabhi to mota peg banaaun (I drink alcohol like milk, it’s mine and so I can take a big fat peg).

There it is again. That death-defying logic. What goes of your father?! Tere baap ka kya jaata hai?!

1. Debarshi

I agree with you most of the time when you are talking about alcoholism. however there is a big difference between being an alcoholic and consuming alcohol. I don’t have the data but I am pretty sure most of the people who consume alcohol DO NOT have alcoholism.

1. Artika Raj

I agree. Consuming alcohol does not turn you into an alcoholic, and that’s not what I intended to imply. I simply wanted to make a larger point about his glorifying what is actually a serious problem. Nothing against responsible drinking, at the end of the day, to each his own. And world peace.

2. Babar

Alcohol is the root of all evil, a menace in society reeking death and destruction the world over. Broken marriages, estranged relationships, domestic violence, road accidents, health problems, ruined careers, and deaths are a result of the consumption of this poison.

1. Voice of reason

@ Babar – this is disappointing ya, how can you write a comment and not blame women in it. This is wrong, you are not doing your job man. Please blame women for Alcoholism as well, at least this is what you always do

2. Random Person

God I lol’ed so bad!!

3. just a human with no gender,no religion and no nationality

The youth of every nation is its pillar. But what if the pillar is breaking bad. Why are the youth that is me and u looking at alcohol as a solution.
    just imagine, if a child’s parents are alcoholic, the child becomes unaware of what life is. the child too becomes alcoholic and does not enjoy the beauty of life. This affects the child, his or her family and the entire community.
    Now, teenagers, normally go for the title of the COOL KID. And this leads to bad habits including being an alcoholic and a chain-smoker and many more. But it would be too late for the parents and child to realize the truth.
    I think, that hiding the truth of alcoholism and smoking from children is not the way to prevent them from using them. Teenagers must be educated best by their parents or whom they trust the most about what all he or she comes across in his or her teenage and that includes alcoholism.
    Even if the parents have alcohol once in a while also, it affects the children. They come at a conclusion that even they can have a peg occasionally. At teenage, when u socialize with many other teenagers, your habit of having a peg rarely changes to sometimes and that to not always but yeah to a regular permanent alcoholic.

We never know when we are changing and how we change and to what we change.
    BE STRONG, WITH A STRONG MIND AND NOTHING AND NO ONE CAN CHANGE THE PERSON THAT YOU ARE.

4. KMA

Like slut-walks, all those people who drinks should go for a drunken-walk to fight against the prejudice of people who drinks. If you are a drunkard who walks on the pavement peacefully and someone knocked you out with their vehicle, the society would immediately victim-blame the person who is drunk. Most of the brides family would question if the groom has a habit of drinking, while we can’t question if the bride has the habit of fucking around, both of which can ruin the family life. Most of the wives restrict their husbands to have a casual drink claiming it is bad for health, while they over-eat and become obese within a decade, which is bad for health too, but you can’t question their eating habits. So let us all gather and form a drunken walk and show these moral polices who victim blames the majority of men, who aid the govt through taxes by their drinking habits.

5. ABHINAV

All what you are saying is true and its pretty sad to see what has become of the spirit of our age and society but you should watch his interview with Anupama Chopra, at least you will know why he sings what he sings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEk5IF9tuxM

6. Killjoy

Good case and I understand that PLU’s really give culture (yes, Yo Yo is contemporary culture) a WHOLE lotta importance. BUT. Do you really think his “contributions” in the name of contemporary culture make such an impact on the guys & girls (aunties & uncles too) having fun on the dance floor? That they somehow find encouragement and justification in his songs to continue with their general behaviour that includes irresponsible drinking (interesting term, that)? Do you really think they need Yo Yo Honey Singh for THAT? If he disappeared tomorrow, he’ll be missed on the dance floor, I suppose (because his music calls for inventing new dance moves – but that’s another story), but the papers won’t miss any of the drink-and-drive/hit-and-run stories, I’m sure.

7. AMAN

This is the RAP world you will find all abusive,offensive derogatory lyrics in here …And all across the world rappers are famous for that …And they are anti feminist, racist promoting drugs alcohol etc…This songs do not teach moral lessons for some one to learn …In fact people like them for being violent..as obviously people doing all these things like doping, drinking going to call girls want some one to give them some support as other wise the entire community always gives them moral lessons …Point of concern is not Honey singh or is lyrics he is bound to make such songs…The main problem is the youth today irrespective of whether Honey singh make a song like such or not are so involved in all this things they dont realise what they doing ..In fact till now women were away from this but in the name of feminism have seen a lot of them getting into it…Which really is bad

More from Artika Raj

By Abhishek Karadkar

By zainab naqvi

By Zeba Zoariah Ahsan