Confessions Of A Gandhi-Hater

By B Chandrashekar:

He never chooses an opinion; he just wears whatever happens to be in style.”

– Leo Tolstoy

I hate Gandhi. Hating Gandhi gives me a ‘cool’ feeling as I hate someone who is supposed to be loved by billions. I’ve always wanted to be a nonconformist and hating someone like Gandhi helps me feed that ego. Now I’m very different from a majority of others.

When I try to read about him, I don’t find him to so great after all. Certainly not as someone worthy enough to be called the Father of our Nation. There are many more people like me who fodder my thoughts and from whom I can easily borrow arguments to hate this old man.

mahatma gandhi criticism

I haven’t read any literature on Gandhi. Not even his full autobiography. I had to study a few chapters from his autobiography in my school as a part of the syllabus. I vaguely remember him trying to adapt to English conditions and trying to act as a gentleman when he had gone there to study law. But apart from that, to be very frank, my only sources of information are facebook posts by random people and blogs written by attention seekers. it is from these people only that I learnt a good deal about Gandhi which then led me to hate him.

I love Netaji Subash Chandra Bose. What a great fighter he was! And by default, I have to hate Gandhi to love Bose right? I hear that Gandhi who first treated Bose like his own son later wanted Bose out of Congress as President, and secretly worked for that. When Bose developed Indian National Army, Gandhi went to the extent of signing an agreement with the British (along with his feet lickers Jawaharlal Nehru and Maulana Azad) that they would hand over Bose to them when he enters India. What a demon he must be! And so much for his nationalism!

Oh yeah, Bose had his own ideological differences with Gandhi, and he never believed in achieving independence through non-violence. He attacked various policies of Congress. But the argument that anyone in Gandhi’s place who believed in non-violence would have wanted Bose out due to glaring clash in ideologies is for dummies. When have I bothered to involve myself in a rational argument? I would have supported Gandhi if he had changed his non-violent stance and joined INA started by Bose. But he didn’t.

Don’t even get me started on Gandhi’s pro-Muslim stand. Who is he to support Muslims? Is it not because of them that the Muslim League was started? Shouldn’t have Gandhi taken a pro-Hindu stand in every issue? When thousands of Hindus died during the partition in Pakistan, what was this drinker of goat milk doing? Saving Muslims in India! Since they killed Hindus in Pakistan, isn’t it a natural response to kill them here? Why did this half naked man not get this simple logic?

It’s true that he was against partition and even wanted to make Muhammad Ali Jinnah the Prime Minister of united India, right? So, there is some weight in the urgings of Hindu right wing groups. Man, he wanted Hindus and Muslims to live in a united country with peace and harmony and wanted to counter Jinnah’s stance that Muslims wouldn’t get a fair deal in a Hindu majority country. He thought these two religions are just two different paths that lead to the same truth. What a stupid guy.

I was ranting about Bose, right? Bhagat Singh’s issue is far worse. He didn’t try to stop the execution of Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev. Oh yeah, historical facts suggest otherwise, that he did write a letter to Lord Irwin, the then Viceroy of India, and pleaded for them. But when have I bothered to check historical facts and shape my opinion? Who wants to know that even Bhagat Singh himself was against the idea of asking for pardon and declined to sign a petition for clemency? I like to support a revolutionary like Bhagat Singh because it boosts my ego; and a natural recourse would be to bitch about Gandhi, right? How can I like Bhagat Singh without hating Gandhi?

Let me not delve deep into this, but if I’m a supporter of B R Ambedkar, it goes without saying that I get to hate Gandhi too. I don’t make an attempt to understand the state of affairs, caste issues etc. at that time, but Ambedkar was right and Gandhi was wrong. Period.

He preferred Nehru over Vallabhbhai Patel to head the government after Independence. How can someone make a wrong judgment in politics? Isn’t he above all humanly errors? He is a Mahatma (even though he didn’t like to be called that way). He cannot make political mistakes. How dare he make Nehru the Congress President even though Patel was the front runner? Shouldn’t he have forecasted all mistakes like the Kashmir issue that Nehru would make in the future? Why did he choose a modern Nehru over orthodox Patel? World’s great many leaders have made a few errors in judgment but when I look at Gandhi, I will use a different lens altogether.

To top it all, what about his experiments with women? I thought he experimented only with truth. What is this habit of making women including his own grandniece sleep naked with him? This sex addict monster preached and claimed to follow celibacy? Being a man of experiments, he wanted to test himself, and he was even open about this with his family and friends. But that doesn’t justify his intent to use women as objects or apparatus for his experiments. Since he is wearing the crown of Mahatma, I expect him to be above all wrong doings.

Yes, I can’t show any person in public life without flaws but I expect Gandhi to be different you know. He was completely transparent in everything he did and was ready to be challenged for any of his ideals, but that’s not enough right? Gandhi should be flawless.

I don’t stop with this. There are many more accusations from me against him like misappropriation of public funds, anti-untouchables stand, lavish life style contrary to popular perception etc. I never care to check facts or bother to read credible historic texts. I’m not even ashamed because when I share these things on social media, I get some attention and that’s what I want.

I will misquote and read out of context his statements like ‘I have come here on earth to fulfill the laws of caste’, and label him as a person who believed in caste hierarchy; his ‘qualified support to war’ and stamp him as a pseudo supporter of non-violence.

I will comfortably forget the fact that Gandhi’s independence movement was the world’s largest people’s movement and the one that attracted maximum number of women participants in a such a movement. I don’t want to believe that an entire nation rallied behind him. I overlook the fact that his mere presence and fasting in the riot hit areas was enough to calm the tension between Hindus and Muslims. What a nerve would it take to run such a movement with only truth and nonviolence as weapons? Oh just forget it. So boring and so not cool.

I will look at his economic views not from the view point of pre-independent, poverty struck, illiterate and village based India, but only through the current ideals of globalization and liberalization. Don’t blame me. Okay, even hardcore communists seem to have problems with him. This Gujarati bania was such a pain in both capitalist and communist asses I guess.

So what if non-cooperation movement was one of India’s first nationalistic and sustained people’s movement? So what if millions in middle and lower classes participated in politics just because a brown man invited them? So what if thousands flocked to jails only to show support to their leader? So what he inspired a huge population? So what if he was a master communicator at the time of very minimal infrastructure? So what if his stature has never been matched by any other individual in our history?

It has become a cliché to talk about his struggle, his valor, travels across India in a third class compartment, his negotiation skills, his sacrifices, his search for truth and his practice of nonviolence. I will look at small issues, flaws and hiccups in his political life, handpick them for my purpose and pass over every achievement.

I hate him because I’m different. I hate him because I’m a 21st century dude. I hate him because I’m cool you know.

This post was originally published in Kindle Magazine.

References:

Gandhi’s letter to Bose
Gandhi’s Qualified Acceptance of Violence
Gandhi and Bhagat Singh
Of means and ends
Indraiya Gandhi by Jeyamohan, 2009

Also read: Gandhi Used His Position To Sexually Exploit Young Women. The Way WE React To This Matters Even Today

1. suyash

Excellent Article!.
    I think there are many lies spread about Gandhi and people forget that as a Human he could have some flaws, but we cant forget he was successful in creating world’s largest Mass Movement uniting people for a cause.

Just as an example try uniting 20 people to fight for any positive cause and You would understand.

1. Matt

Well calling him father of bation, observing 2nd October and having him on our currency means he needed to be flawless.

Why don’t we have other matyrs on our currency, why shahid divas is not a national holiday? Gandhi needed to be flawless and likable… That’s what a leader is!!

Not liking him doesn’t mean you should disrespect him, yes he can be critisised for that and nobody makes looks cool by abusing a great personality like him.

Strange it got shared by so many people, article had failed to convey any message to me!!

2. Surabhi Singh

wonderful, brave and a tongue in cheek lashing down to the pseudo intellectuals of this nation.. congrats..

3. Gracy

B Chandrashekar,

Your attempt of ¨coolness¨ in this article of yours amused me, what amused me more was your clear and apparent ignorance, and yet even more than that were your guts to come outright and say that yes you are ignorant of the many facts concerning Gandhi and your knowledge on him feeds of, of minor posts posted by your fellow equally ignorant counterparts.
    Because falsely criticising someone, who holds so much importance globally, helps cool your ego, does not mean that you can dislike someone for no specific reason. All your reasons may be right, but only to the extent that you know. Before coming to the conclusion you hate him, please, pick up a book and try to read about him. And try to be in his shoes and try to see the world from his point of view. His fight for freedom isnt the only reason for which he so respected, it was his unique morals and beliefs which earned him this respect. And although you have the right to opinion, you do not have the right to judge without your facts placed in order.

1. Shan

Did you read it properly. He clearly wants to state that what Gandhi did was great and people should research before making statements. Its a satirical take on Gandhi haters and the arguments they use for hating Gandhi.

2. Anonymoose

Dear Gracy,
      Google ‘satire’. Google is your friend, you know.

3. Antas

can’t you get the sarcasm in it?? 😮

4. meg

Dear Gracy Aunty,

Please buy a sarcasm meter this holiday season. Its available at all pan dukans. Hurry. Offer seemit hai.

4. sarah

I think the website is run by congress!!! Grow up!

5. Vishakha

seriously… You people have misconception that the haters do not have the complete knowledge… And the opinions are based on facebook posts… And we havent even read his book… So please write a confession on behalf of the people who have read and formed an opinion on their judgement… And yeah if you are waiting for me to contradict all your above facts.. I would recommend you to reasearch a bit before posting!

6. Suraj

Hating and abusing Gandhi & Nehru has become almost a fashionable act. Whenever the story of our freedom struggle comes up in our discussions, I hear the same rant as is mentioned in the article. And when I ask them for their source of that information, they say “I don’t remember, I’ve read it somewhere” or “I read that in a newspaper called Sanatan Prabhat” or “I just listened to a (hate)speech by Mohan Bhagwat” and “but it’s true, I know it”….

Never do they site a historian or a historical text to make their point. Just empty vessels making irritating noises.

7. Suraj

The author isn’t spouting his personal opinions of hating Gandhi. The article is about what confession a Gandhi-hater would make if he ever does make one.

Read the title carefully.

8. nida Fatima

dude, you suck!!…lashing out at someone just because u’re judgemental and stubborn enough not to pick a book and read about him is dumbass. U’re no non-conformist. Just one dick who craves for public attention by actually polluting the platforms that you use. U’re post is not even worth a single comment. If anything, it deserves to be mocked at if at all anyone agrees to spend that much of time on it. U’re no cool. Just a douche bag who has to attract attention by blurting out any piece of shit that comes to his mind.

9. Suhavi

To me, it seems like you’re the cool dude who is trying to rub his coolness on others. Gandhi would also say not to make fun of others for their opinion. When you learn nothing, you speak trash.

10. Rohi

A very clever and sardonic way of putting the youth of today in their place.
    Great work.

11. Rahul

I think this article is completely sexist! why are we targeting only “dudes”?!

On a serious note, completely agree. Glad to find something like this on the internet.

12. Srishti Kush

A very amateur attempt at criticizing Gandhi. The man had his follies, the article lost me at “I haven’t read any literature on Gandhi.” No person is entitled to write an essay criticizing something without reading about it. Most of this doesn’t make even a little sense.

13. Albert

Oh. My. Gawd. My jaw has dropped to the planet’s core and still going deeper. I went through the comments and had a tough time deciding whether to laugh or cry. All those who thought the author of this article was criticizing Gandhi, i bet your IQ reads lower than the thermometer in the Arctic.

1. Antas

ha ha
      same here bro! 🙂

14. ItsWhosDoneIt

The only thing that doesn’t go down well with me is his sexual experiments. Sure, every leader has it’s flaws. I don’t even care that Mahatma Gandhi is idolized, everyone needs a hero. But the fact that he conducted a test to see whether he could suppress his sexual urges altogether, by forcing women (some were married and underage even) to share a bed with him at night is horrible even to think about.
    To say that’s just because Gandhi was not “flawless”, and was “transparent” all along, is nothing short of blasphemy.

15. Anonymoose

Well written. Puts all the RSS garbage right where it belongs; in the bin.

16. Sharad

Good for you. 🙂

17. Eatit

The author is just a useless piece of junk shitting around 4 attention. U wanna get cool, get out and do your role for the country.

18. Gaurav

gandhi never took a stand when hindus were killed, because according to him it was alright to kill hindus, according to him muslims had a legitimate right to kill hindus whenever and wherever. it is a well known fact that gandhi supported the right of muslims to indulge in violence. when hindus said that they also have a right to live, they were told that they should not demand right to defend their life and honor as that would be communal. hindus were told not to fight back. this is the ugly truth.

19. Gaurav

gandhi wanted hindus and muslims to live together, but he did not reject the demand of muslims for another country. normally such people are called hypocrites but the writer wants to call him a saint.

20. Gaurav

the writer’s love for gandhi is similar to blind faith of some people in fake baba.

the writer loves gandhi just like follower of fake baba’s will do anything to protect their honor. instead of doing an objective assessment the writer proves that he is a blind supporter of gandhi. the fact of the matter is the young generation has no illusions and we know that gandhi was not a saint and does not deserve to be called father of nation.

21. Gaurav

the weird part is that there are people out there who hate RSS and any hindu organisation without any reason and without doing any research they hate rss because it is cool to hate rss

1. Antas

Is it cool? I don’t think so.
      I thought Modi and RSS are the new cool these days, if you know nothing about politics, support Modi’s bullshit and you’ll be the new cool WHO CARES FOR THE COUNTRY :/
      I hope you get it!

22. AgniR

Thanks God, Gandhi’s critics are not as foolish as you are!

Gandhi has had many critics, much before it became cool to hate him! And PS, people do not hate him as such. The man himself isn’t worth to be hated or derided in any sense. It is his foolish ideas, or ideals that he imposed on the majority of Indians that attract much attention and criticism.

I have never considered him the Father of the Nation, for the simple reason that his contribution in the freedom struggle or even the Indian society as extremely mediocre at best, and excessively catastrophic at worst.

I am not entirely sure how many people know but around 1930, the INC passed a purna-swaraj resolution. It was only after efforts of people like Gangadhar Tilak, that the British constituted INC developed as a nationalist freedom platform, but because of the entry of people like Gandhi, the INC again became subservient to the British. And instead of being at the forefront of the freedom struggle, was relegated a place of some sort of cheap brokering agency which favoured the British establishment.

Gandhi diluted the demand of the complete freedom, and which is why we achieved freedom around 1947 (and which was because the British went bankrupt and could not sustain a vast empire, and also why many previous colonized nations got freedom around 1947).

Count the no. of years that we Indians lost because of Gandhi!

But listen to more. Around WWII, the British when Winston Churchill was the PM, artificial famine was created in Bengal, because all food and grain transported to feed the British Army. Winston Churchill’s bigotry and hatred towards Browns has been much documented.

Now, if Gandhi, not only did not help the British recruit Indians for the British army (so much for him being the messiah of non-violence), but is also responsible for the 6 million Bengalis who died because of his dilution of the freedom demand.

Will, Gandhian like yourself be able to absolve yourself of the guilt of being supporter a man who in all probability is a murderer of millions?

You character and attitude is quite clear considering how easily you have brushed aside his sexuality experiments.

Will you be able to absolve yourself of the guilt of supporting and associating with a man who is sex offender and would have destroyed the lives of countless of women?

Another example of Gandhi’s subservience and inferiority complex. Not many know but in South Africa, Gandhi was trying to create a third class of people in the racist apartheid South African Society of the British. He never fought for the rights and freedoms of the Blacks, but was more concerned about British accepting Browns, because he wanted them to see that Browns were racially superior to Blacks!

Will you be able to absolve yourself of the guilt of supporting a man who was clearly a racist?

Ask yourself this questions today! Look at yourself in the mirror and think which side of the history you are on: the side that propagates the myth of a messiah, or the side that is constantly involved in exposing the false God!

The choice is yours.

23. Ganesha’s Plastik Surrjhunn

You should also add, “Although I like to give the impression that I’ve been raised according to modern standards, I’m actually an immature, tribalistic moron who will scream and demand bloody retribution for wrongs inflicted on my ‘tribe’, while completely condoning/providing excuses when those same wrongs are committed by my ‘tribe’. Objective thinking is too hard for my tiny immature brain to process and my ancestors never did it, that proves that its silly and not necessary, so why should I.
    I think my community is somehow superior to the rest of the world because of the amount of fictional bronze-age bullshit I’ve been spoon-fed and told to treat as fact to the extent that I prefer it over actual facts. Because if I were ever to admit to the truth about all of this I would have very little left in my life. ‘Nationalism’ is all I have, you see. If not for this I wouldn’t be able to feel superior to others, and feeling like I’m equal to everybody else is just not good enough for my over-inflated ego. And facing the truth about how stupid I actually am, is not even an option.
    Of course, when I encounter people who are not as backward as me, that make me feel small and stupid, so I remedy it by trying to drag them down to my backward level. Ultimately, this is at the root of my hatred for Gandhi. That sophisticated so-and-so, having his ideas taught in universities all over the world, who does he think he is, making Sawarkar look like an uneducated and childish fool. Sawarkar thought exactly as I do. That alone makes him, like, the most brilliant person ever.
    Just wait. Sooner or later we’ll pass laws making intelligence illegal and Gandhian philosophy obsolete. Everyone will have to be as stupid as me and then finally I can rest easy with my savage nature, without the constant fear of having to improve myself to catch up with the world. Jai hind.”

24. Vedant Mundra

A brilliant article. One error I’d like to point out if I may.
    You’ve very bluntly said that he made a wrong choice choosing Nehru the Prime Minister of India. Well, we have no idea how good a PM Patel would have been. Secondly, even though Patel was the choice of congress, Nehru was the choice of the nation. Nehru’s popularity was way more than Patel, he was the most popular leader after Gandhi. Patel had an iron grip on Congress party itself but Nehru was way more popular among the people. He himself conceded this: In a massively attended Congress rally in Mumbai, he told American journalist Vincent Sheean, “They come for Jawahar, not me.”

1. Rahul

Vedanta,

‘even though Patel was the choice of congress, Nehru was the choice of the nation.’
      I have heard this single line from many Nehru followers but I’d like you to please quote some reference or article that can solve my curiosity. For me, if I go by this line, the congress leader, who were true & honest freedom fighter and had good following among people in their respective areas, were ignorant of public opinion or had no knowledge of the public sentiments. This is very hard to accept for me and few others as well.

25. Rahul

Chandra,

It was a nice attempt to cover up the ignorance before hating GANDHI with another greater thought of ignorance on Gandhi haters, ‘they are just ill-educated and illogical Indian youth’.

What you have stated ‘cool’ here do take place for sure but when I compare this false propaganda stuff on social media with the half-informed text in our school books, the sheer number of later is of Himalayan stature. Combine it with the status of education in India in just 2 frames:
    1. No of people who can actually read something
    2. No of people who can use social media vs. no of people who have read through Std. 8

You’ll get to know which side on this is better on ill-informed and illogical facts. Just give it a thought, Once before accusing all Gandhi haters of ignorance.

Gandhi must have done some good deeds but I don’t see him equally worthy to be regarded as Father of Nation coz I don’t see him better than Bhagat Singh, Bose, Patel or many other (for whom we still have to rely on Google or Wikipedia search). More than 90% of the country does not know about Bhagat singh, beyond his story from a text book in std. VI to VIII or beyond 2-3 paragraphs in history books of Std. 10th-12th. The case is even worse for Bose or Patel or Azad, a good reason for increasing number of Gandhi haters.

To end it, for me (and many other) hating Gandhi or not considering his a demi-God is not because of cool or ignorance but because of knowledge of more truth.

Truth will follow, it may take its own time!!

1. Prashant sharma

please research completely after that comment anything. read about Gandhi and try to understand at that time situation .
      In social networking sites there are many content are shown for political benefit.

26. Stuti

Some points were very well put up though a few were a bit exaggerated, hating Gandhi to look cool, for an instance. Sadly the article is just a mockery on people who hates Gandhi; it failed to glorify him and shut the nagging souls.

27. ABs

This is a very poorly written article. People who criticize Gandhi have a point. This Website’s Anti-Hindu, Pro-Muslim stand is disgusting. They preach Secularism here, but blatantly take Pot-Shots at Hindus, and Hindu Outfits and Beliefs. Criticize Islamic Practices, and the Christians as well, because the overall criticism of Religion, and not just one in particular is what is fair.

28. Tom

People who dislike Gandhi are simply dumb, I know this article was made to portray the stupidity of individuals who dislike Gandhi but that is unnecessary since they are just stupid there is no need to explain the basis they have because they do not have a basis to any of their thoughts to begin with. It would have been better for this article to have not been written.

By Shashi Sinha

By Vineet Ranga

By Ronak Aazad