This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akhil Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Lord Krishna’s Gita Saar As Nazi Justification For Killing 6Mn Jews, Slavoj Žižek Explains

More from Akhil Kumar

Slavoj Žižek, while delivering a lecture at Institute for sociology and philosophy, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, explains how SS head Heinrich Himmler used The Bhagavad Gita’s meanings to justify killings, without any moral remorse. “You need this type of a vision to enable you to do the horrors”, Zizek says. The Nazi soldiers carried out genocides, killed women and children, and committed unimaginable horrors, the problem was – how to enable the soldiers to do this ‘without becoming beasts’. In Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna has doubts while in the battlefield – ‘Do I have the right? thousands will die’, and Lord Krishna convinces him of the legitimacy of the violence he was to inflict. He explains how material realities are just appearances, true reality is the reality of your self (aatma) – “What you can destroy ‘deserves to perish’. Don’t get involved”. Zizek sees this as a good totalitarian propaganda when it’s difficult to carry out such violence. Himmler’s argument to convince soldiers suffering from pangs of conscience and ethical doubt was that – ‘most people could do great things for the country, even lay down their lives, but a true hero is the one who is ready to lose his soul for the country, to do horrible things for it. The true greatness is to elevate yourself above this temptation of ‘ordinary humanity’, true ethical greatness is when for a higher cause, you are ready to act beyond good and evil’.

It is all too relatable in the present context as we see a renewed popularity in totalitarian and fascist worldviews, be it in the form of Hindutva or Islamic fundamentalism (Islamic State et al) etc. Watch the video for yourselves and drop a comment telling us what you feel. In case you are interested in reading more about this, here’s an informative article on the same.

To know more about what I think of this story, follow me on twitter at @Akhil1490

1. Hary

“Their’s is not to reason why; Their’s is but to do and die” – every religious bhakt.
    Great article Akhil!

2. nipun sharma

the same bhagvad gita bby the way also inspired BAPU

3. मनीष कुमार

जिन्हें भारतीय संस्कृति का क ख ग घ भि मालूम नहीं ऐसे मुर्ख लोग चले है श्रीमद्भगवद्गीता का विवेचना करने और नाज़ियो के कुकृत्यो से इसकी तुलना करने , अरे , पहले इन महामूर्खो को कुरान की और मोहम्मद की समीक्षा करनी चाहिए और हाल ही में हुए पेशावर हमलों को समझाना चाहिए, या फिर जो जार्ज बुश और बुश जूनियर ने इराक में तबाही किया, उसे बिबले से सम्बंधित करना चाहिए,

4. Gaurav

while islam follows a policy of elimination of all non muslims for 1400 years, hindus are being singled out in one way or the other for no reason or fault of ours. I think I now understand why this is happening, I think it is time we hindus stand up for ourselves and learn to fight back, unless we do we will continue to get abused everywhere.

5. Gaurav

hindus should read the book – decolonising the hindu mind by koenraad elst. this is a brialliant book

6. Deva

Wow, much hypocrisy, such irrationality. Have you read the Gita? Do you understand it? Did you question the Gita? How do you propagate views of others without questioning it? Where does your rationality go, when you blindly accept views when it suits your purpose?

What about distortion of statements, when taken out of context to suit their purpose? What if tomorrow some one uses Indian Penal Code and our Constitution to justify murder? Will you not question their validity if John Doe says since the IPC absolves executioner of guilt in killing a convict on death sentence, it justifies killing, hence it justifies a murder by John Doe?
    See how wicked such interpretation of Constitution is? It does not mean constitution has justified murder.
    The Constitution elevates an executioner above guilt, so killing is justified.
    Thus, if you interpret it wrong, the Constitution too can be a good totalitarian propaganda when it’s difficult to carry out such violence, to convince soldiers suffering from pangs of conscience and ethical doubt.

But you would rather choose to blindly put forward propaganda without questioning it. Such double standards. Selective rationality.

7. Divyansh

Man, you just wrote, say, the LHS of the equation. Where’s the RHS?
    Why have you not given mention to the actual meaning of Bhagavata Gita. Sorry to say, but in your article you seem like supporting him. You SHOULD read and understand it first.

8. Gaurav

poor understanding of Bhagvad Gita to say the least, bordering on severe prejudice and deep seated animosities and that is the most obvious part

9. prakhar

Pure water when seen from tinted glass appears turbid. The object is free from impurities but the subject is not so and interprets accordingly. Please understand this.
    And Just because you read somewhere about Himmler’s bent towards Gita and the way he interpreted it, does not mean you have to write about it. Write only if you have knowledge about it. Otherwise it would result into a BS article like this one.
    Thank You.

10. Suraj Godiyal

‘HINDU’ terrorists? Aren’t you a believer of the fact that ‘Terrorism has no religion’. Aren’t you decently rational enough to identify the line of separation between true meaning and falsehood of interpretations. While ISIS and Taliban are carrying out gruesome activities, would we question the holy Quran? When Christian missionaries use religious propaganda to convert poor people, do we call it christian terrorism and raise our fingers against Bible? So why question another great book just to fulfill your problem of attention deficiency?

11. zahid

Islam is a religion of peace and so called jihadis are not Muslims while Krishna says to arjun what you can destroy deserve to be perish is a statement which says it all its means if you have dispute of land with your brother’s you should kill and loot while on other hand in Islam all human beings are children of Adam and eve and all are brother and sister and there is one god that is Allah

1. Himanshu Singh

Zahid, i think you don’t know why mahabharata happened. And when you are ill-informed you should avoide unsolicited comments, specially when it is a matter of religion. You said “if you have dispute of land with your brother’s you should kill and loot ” , nothing can be farther from the truth, It was not a land dispute it was a case of pure deceit by kauravas. Pandavas were even ready to be content with 5 villages, but duryodhan’s greed didn’t allow them even 5 villages. Further Kauravas were immoral and cruel as they tried to dishonour Draupadi in Rajdarbar. So do you think waging a war with immoral,corrupt, dishonest brethern is wrong? in my opinion not. And please first gain some knowledge before jumping to conclusions.

12. Himanshu Singh

This article writer must be the person with highest IQ in world may around 400. Unfortunately he hasn’t ever read a religious scripture, forget about understanding it. And my suggestion to admin of this website please don’t allow every Tom,dick and harry to write the garbage on your site, function responsibily. Before posting this garbage take some advice from sane people and people who know about these things. I think writer doesn’t know why mahabharata happened. And when he is ill-informed he should avoide unsolicited comments, specially when it is a matter of religion. War was fought because of pure deceit by kauravas. Pandavas were even ready to be content with 5 villages, but duryodhan’s greed didn’t allow them even 5 villages. Further Kauravas were immoral and cruel as they tried to dishonour Draupadi in Rajdarbar. So do you think waging a war with immoral,corrupt, dishonest brethern is wrong? in my opinion not. And please first gain some knowledge before jumping to conclusions.

13. Div

All I'm saying he clearly hasn't understood the Gita. Lord Krishna tells Arjuna to wage a war against unrighteousness. That is the whole point. It angers me that people get away after distorting facts without knowing them properly.
    And as for terrorism,it has no religion. Stop blaming the members of any religious community for what some sick and twisted individuals do. Peace.

More from Akhil Kumar

By Birbal Jha

By Sakshi Kotwal