Rewriting History For Propaganda: The Dangers Of Sangh Parivar’s Attempts To Manipulate History

By Naomi Hazarika:

George Orwell in his dystopian classic novel ‘1984’ wrote, “He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past.” Historical revisionism has so far been as important a political tool in Indian politics as vote banks or ‘pro-poor policies’. Such an attempt to re-write history is usually the illegitimate distortion of historical records for the furtherance of certain agendas backed by people in power. Plato once very wisely stated that the storyteller has all the power. The issue of historical revisionism was raised in the Congress era as well, but more so now, because of the Sangh Parivar’s rigorous proactive involvement in bringing out sections of history that are to be interpreted in their way. Moreover, a Prime Minister that claims that because in the Mahabharata, it is said that Karna was not born from his mother’s womb, “…Genetic science must have been present in the time the historical epic was written…” (Speaking at the inauguration of the Sir H.N. Reliance foundation Hospital and Research centre), it is imperative that we revisit the topic of using history and mythology to back a certain agenda, in this case to use it as a basis for claiming scientific achievements as well.

hindutva history

Like any other path to attain knowledge, the end goal of history is in the pursuit of truth, as Irfan Habib puts it. All kinds of bias; racial, religious, regional, and national, must be kept away from the narratives of History. Especially when Indian Historiography, although representative of the existence of differences and biases, has always been within the limits of historical evidence. But the recent thrust on the importance of the exclusive “Aryan” identity has seen no boundaries. From claiming that the Harappan Civilization should be renamed “Sarasvati Sindhu”, to the RSS calling historians like Wheeler and Max Mueller “racists”, we can see a definitive pro-Vedic push that Indian history is being subjected to. Manifestations of such a line of thinking can be seen in the form of the Babri Masjid demolition and various other claims that offer a Hindu alternative version of things including the one about the Taj mahal. While having views, opinions and commentaries on historical events are complimentary to the maintenance of a rich tradition of healthy discourse in the annals of society, shaming another culture, denial of historical evidence and the worst of it all, furtherance of a political agenda through history should be strictly dealt with.

India is a country blessed with diversity and has been courageous enough to adopt a culture of religious tolerance to deal with these differences. Values of secularism and peaceful co-existence have always been our virtues. But wherever such deep differences exist, so does an inherent need to find one of these identities to cling on to. This is where the Hindu Nationalist identity comes into play. For a long period of time, right wing political organisations have fought for this singular and largely Hindu identity that should define whatever is essentially Indian. This is where the problem begins. After the establishment of identities in such hierarchical structures, conflict is bound to take place. Political affiliations make matters worse in a country where Marx’s words are more than just true, of religion being the “opium of people.” Every arena of the country is polarised into identities and definitive groups of people which are in conflict with each other over one issue or the other. History, necessarily, needs to be out of this polarised sphere of tensions. It needs to be representative of historical evidence and logical, if not proved, chain of events. Moreover, it needs to be free from arbitrary alterations backed by vested interests.

History has always been rewritten, the issue here is for it to not just represent and establish one version of it. It should be the “ground of contestation” as British Historian David Washbrook puts it. As long as there is dialogue and debate, the democratic fervour of a narrative will still be alive. Every story has two sides and for a holistic view of what our past was, we need to make sure that both sides are out in the open, devoid of any alterations. It is extremely imperative for us to understand the importance of being able to shape the future generation of our nation through education and more directly through school books. The Central Government has direct access to educational institutions like NCERT and CBSE that literally pen down the education our children are to receive. To make sure that this tool is not misused, the values of religious tolerance and democratic values of discussion and debate needs to be instilled in people. The one identity that binds us together need not be a singular common religion or culture but an imaginary feeling that is for the benefit and welfare of our great nation. The definition of being Indian should not be narrow and divisive but heterogeneous and all-inclusive. The moment we realise this, the need to alter history to suit one side’s interests will die a natural death.

Also Read: There have been renewed efforts to manipulate history for vested interests, here’s an interesting take by Heeba Din on what she thinks are The Problems With Systemic ‘Saffronisation’ Of Education In India.

1. Pratichi Mahapatra

A very pertinent point raised. However Marx’s oft-quoted comment on religion being the opium of the masses was probably not voiced primarily in the context of the being inebriated by the philosophy of it. Instead it has been more used in the sense of a pain-reliever to the miseries and deprivation of an industrial world. Clearly by people, Marx meant the exploited proletariat class.

Nevertheless Good job! 🙂

1. Naomi Hazarika

Agreed, Pratichi. Marx’s quote here was meant to bring about this issue in a different context altogether but with the same principle. Thank you so much for your positive feedback! 🙂

2. Speak

learning about ur past is not twisting history. What u r saying biased history is the history u don’t want to know about. India is tolerant to other religions even after mogul and British rule because of its history or it wud be another Pakistan. It’s easy to denounce history without verifying the facts. In that case I don’t have to believe Jesus ever existed coz I never saw him. The problem with authors like u is that u make a big deal abt issues related to Hinduism and still promote urself as seculars or peace preachers. That’s real funny.

1. Naomi Hazarika

Hi, its all about organic growth with a culmination of opposing views. For every thesis there has to be a anti-thesis. I appreciate your views nonetheless! 🙂

3. shmeetes

Enjoyed this article, I agree. I wasn’t aware that this has been happening to some extent, but if it is, it’s very sad, the diversity and richness of Indian history will be slowly forgotten.

4. Suraj

Recently, the Indian History Congress criticized the PM & the NDA govt. of trying to saffronize history.
    Just an FYI – the IHC consists of India’s eminent historians (neither ‘leftist’ or ‘rightist’). So that puts the nail in the coffin.
    http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/history-congress-takes-dig-at-pm-dont-distort-past/

5. Abhishek

This is a very cliched generalisation devoid of any research. How is acknowledging our rich vedic past any propaganda. Is it not true that we knew algebra and were computing distance of earth from the sun with precision and doing rhinoplasty few thousands years before the west was still grappling with Earth is flat theory. And if Bombay and Madras named after British was be renamed to reflect local identities why not Harappa.

By Submitted anonymously

By सुमित सिंह