This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kainat Sarfaraz. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Je Suis Charlie. I am Charlie. And I Am A Practicing Muslim.

More from Kainat Sarfaraz

By Kainat Sarfaraz:

Je Suis Charlie.
I am Charlie.

The internet is exploding with these words. People across various ages, races and religions are condemning Wednesday’s attack on the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo magazine. The violence claimed the lives of 12 people. Some of them, only cartoonists. Their only mistake? They tried to inject humour into instances which usually went unnoticed. They spoke their minds through their cartoons. They exercised their right to the freedom of speech and expression. And they were silenced for that. The world, however, refuses to be silenced by the terror created by the extremists who chanted ‘Allah-u-Akbar’ while going on the killing spree.

i am charlie

Few years ago, when WhatsApp was not the order of the day, I remember receiving forward messages which vociferously condemned the cartoons made by a Danish newspaper organization, Jyllands-Posten and called for extremist measures.Why? Because they were the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad and according to Islamic law, one wasn’t allowed to create images depicting the Holy Prophet. Thus, when Charlie Hebdo decided to reprint these cartoons in 2006, it received flak from Muslims and Muslim organizations alleging that the images incited hatred against Muslims.

What does Wednesday’s incident do then? Incite strong love and reverence for the Muslim community? I doubt so.

What appalls me more is that there are Muslims who still justify these kinds of terror attacks. Their minds refuse to see the logic proposed by these organizations. They will constantly ignore the fact that the whole world is NOT governed by Islamic laws. They will ignore their own book which preaches, requests and orders to be non-violent. They will have none of it! They will forget their Prophet’s message of peace and do what they think is just and fair. They will forget Chapter 15, verse 95 the Holy Quraan which says, “Indeed, We are sufficient for you against the mockers”. They will forget the hadith in which the Prophet himself refuses to curse the people who bothered him saying, “I have not been sent to lay a curse upon men but to be a blessing to them.” (Muslim)

I am a practicing Muslim. The Islam I know and read about does not advocate violence. We have read this countless number of times and yet, the message fails to drive home. While writing this piece, I feel utterly helpless as to how should I broaden the minds of those who are constantly falling prey to the misinterpretation of the holy texts. They are turning to violence to preserve their faith. And sadly, the practice is not just limited to Muslims and Islam.

People across various religions are plagued by this phenomenon. They are averse to all forms of criticism and are not open to discussions. What else would justify the exile of M.F. Husain, ban on Vishwaroopam, Satanic Verses and the withdrawal of The Hindus: An Alternative History. The simple fact is that merely saying certain things about one’s religion does not change its basic tenets. I wonder when will people understand this?. And if you constantly take the path of violence, the blame is yours to take.

The same Muslims who out rightly condemned the Peshawar School Attack by the Talibans are not so vocal about Wednesday’s attack. Why? Just because these were adult men and the Talibanis had targeted little children? Does the value of life flicker with the age limit? Despite being two different instances in two different countries, they underline the common agenda of these people. ‘Kill those who oppose us and our version of the religion.’

To them I say, let the Gods take care of themselves. Let them defend themselves.

1. Harsh

The Paris Attack. A world united by solidarity
    http://probeexclusive.com/je-suis-charlie/

2. Babar

What you are simply referring to images and cartoons was depicting the Holy Prophet as a terrorist. Would you like me to draw cartoons of your father under the guise of free speech? Also, please explain to me why you cannot deny the holocaust under ‘free speech’ without risking a jail sentence, and why did the same newspaper refuse to publish cartoons of Jesus?

1. Fem

If you draw a derogatory cartoon of my father, does it makes it alright for me to kill you?

3. Babar

Bloggers were unusually quiet when the U.S. was busy murdering Muslims in Somalia, Sudan, Panama, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Palestine, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. I strongly condemn terrorist attacks regardless of religion, but the fact remains that you cannot sit and not expect a backlash if you kill Muslims, shed their blood, rape their women, take their lands, insult their Prophet, mock their religion, destroy their livelihood, and slaughter their children.

http://youtu.be/HOrrOu8uV8o

1. sahil

I think depicting Shiva in a toilet and making fun of Hindus is championed as free speech. Suddenly when the same is done to muslims, they all go crazy and start arguing how free speech should have limits

4. TempleTwins

Charlie Hebdo was never and is not a proponent of freedom of speech, Charlie Hebdo in the past FIRED a cartoonist for ANTI-SEMETIC cartoons. France doesn’t have freedom of speech, the “French” government banned a comedian from doing his act because of ANTI-SEMETISM.

More from Kainat Sarfaraz

By Hemraj P

By Vaishnavi Navalkar

By Divya Chopra