A Letter From Indian Women – “5 Minutes Please, Ms. Kiran Bedi”

People change, their careers, views, political positions, religious affiliations might change. Kiran Bedi can also change. Her entry into the ambit of Bharatiya Janata Party has created an uproar on social media with all her old tweets being shared, discussed and deleted. But we thought change is not something that has to be despised, but questioned; we thought it is more important that Ms. Bedi clarifies a few of our queries about her current political position. It is with this intention that this Facebook page was launched yesterday.

Dear Ms. Kiran Bedi,

You have been a national icon of women’s power as the first female IPS officer of the country: As you have joined the Bharatiya Janata Party now, you are giving legitimacy to the party and its 7 months’ rule in the centre. We, some women of the country and of the constituency, request you to answer the following questions. This will only take 5 minutes of your time. If you are too busy to answer at length, a simple yes or no would do!

1. The Hindutva leaders have made unacceptable remarks on women’s choices, be that costumes, profession or love (women wearing jeans, women having to give birth to four children to save the Hindu religion or their war on love through “love jihad”). They have also demonstrated that they have no qualms in using male violence on women if it fits their logic. Many incidents of moral policing on women by Hindutva parties and allies have been reported. This includes physically assaulting and molesting young girls by them. Do you approve of this sort of denial of women’s freedom for personal choices? If yes, what should we expect from the party that is in centre and contesting for Delhi elections? If you don’t, how do you intend to try and change their positions on women?

2. As a police woman, you do know of the reports that 63 MPs of the BJP have a criminal record. A lot of these crimes are against women, including rape and assault. Do you justify having rapists and molesters in responsible positions in your party?

3. Ever since the Hindutvavadis have been in power, attacks on minorities are on the rise. For instance – the attacks on Churches and Christmas celebrations. As a person who knows the history of communal violence, you do know that communal violence is fundamentally anti-women in that it leaves the choice of being assaulted by men from other communities or of being made to live under the directions of men from their own communities. As a woman, would you disown the communalist bigotry of the hindutvavadis or endorse it, now that you have joined them?

4. Privatisation of railways and de-regularisation of medicines have a huge impact on our daily lives. Do you think these steps were essential for making India into what the party envisions?

5. Hindutvavadis have been coming up with statements that make learning and teaching history, science and social issues difficult. As an educated women, would you endorse this kind of political interference in education?

We know you won’t run away from these questions as you have always been applauded for your faith in social justice and commitment to the rights of women. Since you have been an icon of female strength, many of us are confused with your current political decision. Once you answer these questions, our doubts will be clarified about supporting you.

Kindly respond.

Thank you.

Featured image credit: Simply CVR 

1. Sarwar Hasan

She has closed her eyes. Every thing is fair now and she has nothing to say against BJP.
    Still I hope somewhere the first lady IPS officer is still breathing inside her and she will revolt against this opportunist face. Let her face the inside politics of BJP, she will understand.

2. Amrit Rukhaiyaar

Ideally we should do one thing:

We should not hate her for joining BJP but we must not vote for Ms. Kiran Bedi [if she fights from Delhi]. It is because I believe Ms. Bedi honestly sees BJP as a party of development and a party which can flourish the nation. I think we should give Ms. Kiran Bedi some time to discover the real face of BJP and see what’s her stand on BJP.

1. Shivaji

A person of such intellect, Kiran Bedi has been closely monitoring the political situation since her IPS days. She must have understood a long time ago that politicians and criminal records can’t be separated. Even at this age she wants to serve the country. And one of the better ways , if not the best, is to hold a public post. So here enter the political parties – Congress , BJP and AAP. Even a just born child will say BJP is far better than Congress. Now it boils down to BJP and AAP. The question is whether Ms. Bedi has chosen BJP as she believes the party ‘s sole aim is development or has chosen BJP out of her hatred towards Kejriwal and subsequently AAP (May sound puerile but the way she constantly appeared on media criticizing Kejriwal during his term as CM can make this a possibility).

2. srijith

20 days for election and BJP has found a person who has nil political background and been elected the CM candidate. It’s completely a political move. BJP just want to win the Delhi election at any cost & doesn’t respect the values of common people.

3. ram

yes bro but go through http://valentinesdayideas2016.com/

3. Ravi

It is difficult not to conclude that for the sake of POWER Kiran Bedi, has decided to hold her nose and drink a glass full of गौमूत्र. I hope Delhites can see through BJP’s cynical manoeuvre.

4. Udayan

These are valid questions. She must answer them before asking for votes.

5. Veer

1) Let the question raiser first answer this question – does she support a man marrying 4 women in the name of a religious sanction ? Does she know that the so called ‘Hindutva vadi’ party is the only party which wants Uniform Civil Code and equal marriage rights for women beyond religions other than HIndus ?

2) The question raiser is concerned about alleged interference in Education. Does she have any words for the whole hijacking of ‘History Writing’ and which has been accomplished by the Left brigade since Independence.

3) The so called ‘Hindutvadis’ were no where in power in UP or Assam ? Is this why that that the victims of the riots in these Places don’t find any mention in the this questionnaire.

4) Lastly, can the question raiser please provide links to similar open letter questionnaire which I assume she must have written to Shelia Dixit, Abu Azmi, Mulayam Singh Yadav etc ? or is that she has suddenly awakened to the plight of Indian women only when she gets an opportunity to vent out her hatred towards a rival party ?

Five minutes for Kiran Bedi may not be as easy as 5 minutes for you dear writer. I hope u come back soon answering these few questions.

1. Prakash

Very right questions all the pseudo seculars, if we don’t defend our culture and our rights to know correct history, then who else will ?? When we appreciating right things from other cultures what’s wrong in objecting on wrong things ?? Just to protest against moral policing – how one can justify ‘open kissing’ as right method?? Are we falling back to stone age civilization to roam around without minimum cloths on the body without right manners in the public??

2. Ravi

Correct History, after trolling through 5000 years of Indian History, the only thing Hindu Right has been able to find is Hemu, the king of Delhi for whole 29 days.

6. Prashant Shrivastava

these questions have been raised by a very shortsighted writer. Sharing articles like this is neither constructive nor suggestive but mere effort to find out something that can be written against her.

7. Bhanvi Satija

How about we take these questions and a few more up on change.org as a petition? Since Ms. Bedi is too busy to take up a public debate, let’s see if she can make out time for responding to these questions.

8. Locx

hahaha.. what a despo attempt. Let me try and answer this as its all too very easy to answer.

1 – Fringe elements doing this sort of stupid propaganda for keeping their base happy has no bearing on policy. Official Modi govt policy is “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao”
    2 – Having cases against them is not same as being guilty. If people start using logic it won’t hurt their head. SC has already provisioned that such criminals cannot be part of constitutional bodies like Parliament, Assembly. The onus is to prove charges instead of claiming victimhood.
    3 – Attack on Minorities – I prefer it as against jihadi bastards attacking amar jawan jyoti and running amok with forced conversions. The libtards need to accept hindus have always retaliated not instigated riots or else muslims and christian population should have seen decline not rise.
    4 – Privatisation of railways and de-regularisation of medicines – BJP got mandate to do things not please the lefty scum which have been rejected thoroughly by people of India. Perfect example of those cannot do whine.
    5 – Somebody spent too many years surrounded by JNU types to believe they only know what is correct education. The super glorified version of Islamic rule is a blatant example of distorted education. India needs to bring education back on track as we aren’t producing any great minds nor any breakthrough scientists with the current crop of rotten “Intellectuals” as helm. I say I am loving the change.

9. Ranjeet Menon

Please read this link:
    http://www.sacw.net/DC/CommunalismCollection/ArticlesArchive/casolari.pdf

RSS was created on the concept and philosophy of fascism. Fascism purports suppression of women by any and all means. What Hindu fundamentalists are doing to women are all the under the influence of their fascist ideals.

10. Elle Setar

Now she cannot do anything as every know how frequently she changed

11. Lisa Ann

Good Letter

12. Video Masti

Nice One

13. Azaadi Ka Din

Ha bhai tyheek kaha tumne! fan of urs !

By Taylor Guerrero

By Chiranshu Sihag

By ananya rajawat