Manorma Devi Rape-Murder Case: The Rs. 10 Lakh In Compensation Is Far From Justice

By Niharika Singh:

Thangjam Manorama Devi was killed by the 17th Assam Rifles, on 11 July 2004. She was a suspected People’s Liberation Army’s cadre and was allegedly in possession of a hand grenade. She was arrested without the presence of a lady constable. According to the paramilitary forces, she was shot while trying to flee (unarmed). The shots were fired from a close range, her genitals were shot at and the forensics have stated that there were semen stains on her skirt, suggesting that she was raped. No blood stains or cartridge shells were found in the area where Manorama was chased and shot, suggesting she was killed somewhere else and her body dumped. (Source)

Manorama Protests

It may seem like an open and shut case to a layman with a farcical story concocted around it, but when you realize that it happened in Manipur, one of the heavily militarized zones of our country, our outlook is biased towards the army personals, our ‘protectors’. Manipur is a state in the northeast which we have very conveniently ostracized. Democracy doesn’t effectively function there. State brutality and military occupation under the shroud of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) has called on a counter-insurgency war on humanity.

The Supreme Court passed a verdict on Manorama’s case after about 10 years, stating that it was a fake encounter and directed the government to pay Rs. 10 lakh to Manorama’s mother as compensation. It’s a small price to pay for someone’s life, and the impunity of the armed forces. The whole debate of diluting AFSPA to make it more human or repeal it completely was lost.

Against national security and the jingoistic ideals of honour of the army, justice loses its battle in the so called ‘disturbed areas’. AFSPA constitutionally requires to be reviewed every 6 months, yet has stayed for decades now. Since its enactment, militant groups have seen a massive proliferation as they provide a platform to fight state criminality.

Women always have to bear the brunt of social injustices, in marginalized societies and in conflict zones. Can you imagine being a part of the society which leaves the perpetrators of such a heinous brutality go scot free? While we live in our comfortable bubble of democracy, our security forces make this very democracy difficult to digest for some.

Also Read: Thangjam Manorama: The Unnoticed Nirbhaya From Manipur; And Our Selective Outrage

1. UTSARJANA MUTSUDDI

It is really sad that money is an unit of compensation for crimes like rape and murder. No amount of money paid to the family can compensate for the trauma they were forced to go through. Moreover it is insulting for the victim because not only do the perpetrators not get individual punishment as they should, the crimes committed against their bodies are ignored and money conpensation is just good old plain body objectification. “I raped you, shot your genitals and murdered you. I’m sorry. Here goes 10 lakh rupees as compensation.”. This is literally the statement being made in this case.

1. Niharika Singh

I totally agree with your point of how the perpetrators are left scot free and this monetary token doesn’t mean anything for the victim. But for Manorama’s family and for others like her who have suffered at the hands of AFSPA the acknowledgement of the fact that such heinous crimes are committed in more important, instead of hushing it all up.

2. Babar

Your last paragraph shook me, giving me a new perspective on the viciousness of the feminist propaganda. We live in a country where 70% of cases of domestic violence, 75% of rape cases, and 98% of dowry cases are false – why aren’t these women filing false cases behind bars? And where is compensation for men whose life, career, and reputation is destroyed courtesy of these liars? Where is compensation for men who cannot get a job now even after having proven their innocence because no one will hire a man with a criminal charge against him? Where is compensation for the tens of thousands of innocent men rotting in jail courtesy of fabricated allegations?

1. Atul Kumar Dubey

You are good copy-paste master, you wrote the same comment in one of articles related to women crime. Here the first question it raises is: “Who rules India: The elected representatives or the army?” What is their rationale for thinking that security persons who rape innocent women should enjoy impunity in the name of national security? AFSPA is the biggest obstacle to peace in these regions

2. Babar

If you think my comment has been copy/pasted, you need to see your nearest optician.

Women commit crimes against men left, right, and center, and yet no one raises their voice. Societal double standards and bigotedness is more than evident.

3. Fem

Ummm…. No Babar. Atul doesn’t need an optician. Most of your comments are copy pasted. He knows it, I know it, all of us know it….Heck! Even you know it I am sure.

Maybe you need a break to generate new comments.

4. Babar

It is feminists on this blog who have been trolling for a long time now, writing the same thing over and over again. And stop chasing me in every blog post like a puppy. Maybe you need a break to figure out what you should do with your free time, apparently which you have too much of.

5. Fem

“It is feminists on this blog who have been trolling for a long time now, writing the same thing over and over again.”

Share one example and we would all believe you. And also share facts regarding your claim that you do not copy paste (as you love too put stats and links).

“And stop chasing me in every blog post like a puppy.”

You got me! I do chase you. 🙂 But not like a puppy. Puppy love the person/things they chase. Love is the last thing I have for you.
      You stop being a moron and I would stop chasing you.

“Maybe you need a break to figure out what you should do with your free time.”

All figured out already. Chasing you is one of the things I like to do in my free time.

“apparently which you have too much of.”

How I wish…….. Only, I have very little free time. And a portion of that I devote on you. If I had a lot of free time you would have seen stars by now.

What happened Babar? Do I befuddle you? Not able to take logic and sense?

3. Babar

The entire civilization is built on the bodies of dead men. Men’s bodies return home, lifeless and limbless, with no compensation.

I guess the part about her being shot in the genitals is supposed to invoke sympathy, but then, women chopping of husband’s genitals is everyday news – where is the compensation. Instead, feminists laugh about it.

1. Fem

Everyday news? Which newspaper you follow?

4. vikram

thank u so much neharika.. for such a great article 🙂 Thank you for your deep though and creating awareness among the youth and other age group people!

5. o p shrivastava

Its pity that our judicial system takes so long to give verdicts on such important cases.That too a compensation of only 10 /-lakh which is nothing as compared to the nature of criminality committed by police.Such draconian laws must go from all parts of our country.They are often misused by the armed forces. What kind of democracy we have in our country?
    What about the punishment to the army personals involved in the crime?

6. Amrita

Well written. I was doing some research myself about thangjam’s case. But all I could find were newspaper reports and articles. Do you know the citation of the case at Supreme court?

By Taylor Guerrero

By Chiranshu Sihag

By Mrigakshi Talukdar