This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Bala Sai Kiran. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Worshipping The Murderer Of The ‘Father Of The Nation’

More from Bala Sai Kiran

By Bala Sai:

“I am a Hindu and I believe in rebirth. I pray to god that I am reborn with Gandhi so that I can kill him again.” 

Thus spoke Nathuram Godse, the man who, in cruel irony, brought forth a violent end to possibly the most visible proponent of non-violence in the world. He said so not with a seething rage that blinded his senses, but with a calm demeanor of a man who fully believed in his ideology, and was confident of his actions. Nathuram Godse – religious fanatic, extremist, murderer, terrorist. A man who recited words from a holy text (Bhagvad Gita) to justify his actions. A man who destroyed everything that India stood for – peace, democracy, secularism, tolerance. Sure, let’s go build a temple for him!

nathuram-godse-mahatma-gandhi

We live in a time where religious fundamentalism is threatening peace around the world. We espouse belief in religious tolerance. We release strongly worded statements condemning the ISIS and the Taliban. We read informed articles about the dangers of mixing politics with religion. We are a conscious, modern people, who like to think of secularism as an ethereal commodity floating somewhere over our heads.

But from the shadows of our dark underbelly, suppressed demons have come tumbling out – into primary school textbooks, into public speeches, into parliament discussions. Wheels have been set in motion and are quietly turning, tearing through the cobwebs of restraint that had held it all together. Voices that need to be countered are being given state legitimacy. We live in a time where we are pushed backwards as we are lured by visions of a road ahead.

Mahatma Gandhi was more than a man, he was a symbol. He taught the world the power of nonviolence. He shamed the colonial powers into submission. He believed in humanity, in the concept of a tolerant people, united by the idea of India. He believed in something larger than religion. Sadly, politics changed drastically in character once the British rule receded into the annals of history, transforming itself into a hideous beast hard to tame. Gandhi, in his final years, was a lonely man, fighting a lone battle, defending an ideology the world around him had abandoned.

India had yet to come to terms with its identity. Communal cracks had fissured through the edifice of unity that had driven away our oppressors. Gandhi was seen by Hindu extremists as a traitor to the Hindus- ‘his people’ by the accident of birth. It wasn’t a battle of giants, but of sets of angry minions. By believing in a larger ideal, Gandhi was felled by the ants around his feet.

Godse famously iterated his respect for Gandhi’s honesty. “I used to respect him as a saint because he always spoke the truth, which was not easy, but he was a failed politician,” he said. It was Gandhi’s ideology he was at odds with. And it was okay to shoot him over that. Godse justified murder, giving it a purpose, a noble goal. Godse was a terrorist.

Immediately following the assassination, he was isolated, distanced. The RSS and the Hindu Mahasabha, both of which he had been a member of and had drawn inspiration from, went to great lengths to disassociate themselves from perhaps the most hated man in the country back then. His own brother, Gopal Godse, later on attested to the fact that the RSS and Savarkar weren’t quite as innocent of the plot as they claimed to be. He revealed that Nathuram Godse never left the RSS. Digambar Badge, a Hindu Mahasabha worker testified against Savarkar, with whose blessings, he alleged, the Mahatma was murdered. Today, it has been 67 years since the father of our nation was murdered in broad daylight. Faces are emerging from the shadows, and in a country ruled by favorable forces, they have acquired the audacity to finally show themselves for who they are.

For many years, Hindu extremists from around the country have observed November 15th, the day when Godse was hanged as ‘Maryrdom day’. Plays glorifying Godse’s crime run to packed houses in Maharashtra. Today, it has all come tumbling out into the open.

After the Uttar Pradesh state police foiled their plans to erect statues of Godse at several identified places, the Hindu Mahasabha is planning to upgrade their operations by taking Godse’s principle of religious hate to Hindu temples around the country. “We have a dedicated set of youths who are brimming with nationalistic fervor and who are ready to put Godse’s statue at the Raj Ghat at the cost of getting arrested, but we don’t want to work like that. We just want to spread the message of ‘Akhand bharat’ (unified India) which was the main mission for Nathuram Godse ji,” said a leader of the Hindu Mahasabha.

What signal are we sending, by glorifying a terrorist? Why should a temple be built for Godse, a murderer, when so many great leaders of our country at best have statues in their memory? Will we see, in the near future, words of Gandhi’s killer appearing in the textbooks of our school children? Will we see an emergence of his extremist agenda gaining followers? How is one act of terrorism different from another? Would Godse have been praised as a martyr if he were Muslim? We need to understand that terrorism transcends religion. We need to understand that murder can never be justified, whatever the reason behind it. Building temples is certainly not the way to do that.

How far will we descend into the darkness, before the darkness consumes us?

1. Manoj

Please check the facts RSS doesn’t endorse Gandhi ji killings.
    RSS is not planning to put his statue, it is being planned by All India Hindu Mahasabha which is not affiliated to RSS anyhow. Nobody cares about this Hindu Mahasabha :-p

2. Ravi

Those who worship Godse do not consider Gandhi Ji as a father of the nation. They consider that our freedom and our nation was created by Sarvarkar.

1. ashok

Grossly mistaken, Sir. Gandhi WAS NOT responsible for the freedom we enjoy today. The British cared a damn for his so-called ineffective non-violence movement. Freedom was predominantly attained by the words ‘Give me your blood, and I promise you freedom’. These true words were spoken by none other than the hero of our freedom struggle … Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose! Period. The British were rattled by a minor revolt in the then Royal Indian Navy and were scared that in case it extended on to the Indian Army, it might lead to innumerable deaths in the English ranks. That is why they started hectic negotiations with the Indian National Congress to expedite the independence process. That is where these clandestine negotiations happened with Nehru and Gandhi to not only on the division of India with the creation of Pakistan, but also to make sure that Netaji never set foot on the Indian soil. Netaji was, at that time in the custody of the Soviets. It was Atlee (the British PM) who made sure that Netaji disappeared in Russia by pressurizing Stalin to do so. So, you see, we Indians first need to set right our history books. Gandhi was a shrewd politician just like the womanizer Nehru. He was a traitor and deserved to die!

Coming to think of it, if Netaji Bose had indeed returned alive, Nehru could never have become the PM of this land. Possibly, India would have been a true super-power today, had it happened.

2. Dark Knight

Kindly explain how Gandhi was a, in your own words, “traitor”.

3. Ravi

To: Dark Knight.

That one is easy to answer. He read it in a pamphlet issued by the RSS from Nagpur.

4. vijay

Undoubtedly, Netaji was an important image in accelerating India towards independence, however his means became dubious and unreliable everytime. Netaji formed his army from Indian soldiers captured by Nazi German and Japanese – those who are as likely to invade India as free India once the British left, as evidenced by their cruelty in ethnic variations and towards the then Chinese. In fact, Bose’s 3000 strong “Free India Legion” formation allowed by Erwin Rommel is a wicked strategy with the aim of future German attack on India though it thwarted latter luckily for Bose. He then again formed Indian National Army with Japanese captured Indians but unfortunately he being an unskilled military person couldn’t stand his army against the British Indian army lead by well-trained British military geniuses. Gandhiji’s strategy is simple but effective, “no cooperation and quit India but without assorting to violence” putting the British Government to constant unrest and inviting condemnation from international fora as atrocious and inhuman. Both Netaji in his army and Gandhiji in his followers created unity among diversified individuals on the basis of religion, caste, sex and other communities. Of course, Gandhiji too lost in one of his major goals – the goal of keeping India united without the creation of Pakistan. However, the scales of success are definitely more in favor of Gandhiji’s movements when it comes to achieving independence for India.

3. Green Lantern

Excellent article.

4. Saumy Dixit

For what we made temple for ?
    Worshipping !! Right
    A human being cannot be worshipped, if worshipped, are his works, and sacrifices for humanity.
    And whatever be his (Nathuram Godse’s) motive, but he adopts a cruel way which cannot be justified by anyone on this earth by saying anything or everything even for his whole life.

5. Rohit

Godse gave all reasons for why he killed Gandhi. You can’t prove a single one wrong.
    Gandhiji was a great person. But the end of the day, he committed so many mistakes. He was behind partition of India and he’s the reason for the tension between the 2 newly formed countries. none of the politician suffered due to partition but the common man and suffering till now. Godse asked to preserve his ashes to immerse in Indus river in Re-united India.

6. Aditya

Can you read the report of Kapur Commission?…..Or have you conveniently ignored that?

7. Shriya

Let me make it very clear, without people like Bhagat Singh, Chandrashekhar Azad, Jatin da, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Chafekar brothers, Lala Lajpat Rai and countless other heroes, most of which remain unsung, Independence would’ve never been a ground reality. Specially if non-violence was our only form of retaliation against the British Raj. So, non-violence and peace are great concepts, but weren’t the only things the British in India were afraid of. We owe our Independence to those who lived and died so that we could see a free sun rising in a free India, a united India. I’m pretty sure Gandhi condemned the actions of these revolutionaries, are you condemning them too and say they don’t deserve your respect as they killed the English who oppressed us for around two centuries? Are you saying they don’t matter because killing is morally unjustifiable? The Iron man who actually united India after Independence was never given a governing post in the forming government to make way for those whom Gandhi preferred. All I’m trying to say is that mistakes were made. Dire mistakes whose consequences transcend time, the country is still suffering.

8. Suraj Godiyal

Well I would like to say that the UN had asked all the colonial powers to withdraw from the respective countries in 1945 which means that technically we got our freedom two years later. Please kindly read the facts how due to this non violent ideology we became vulnerable to Pakistan’s attacks after India got the independence. And I believe in non violence too but the thing is these principles can’t be maintained when it involves running a country. What do you think we should do when we experience violent killings of innocent people in our own country due to a country which is our immediate neighbor? The same thing was there when British were in India.

9. Parul Bhatia

There is a reason why the government banned Nathuram Godse’s ‘ Why I assassinated Gandhi’ . Even they know that the nation will become totally against Gandhi after knowing his real deeds. Nathuram Godse deserves respect. Building a temple may not be a good idea but we must do something else to remember him as a great man and not a terrorist or a murderer.

10. ashok

Major fault in this article.

Gandhi WAS NOT responsible for the freedom we enjoy today. The British cared a damn for his so-called ineffective non-violence movement. Freedom was predominantly attained by the words ‘Give me your blood, and I promise you freedom’. These true words were spoken by none other than the hero of our freedom struggle … Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose! Period. The British were rattled by a minor revolt in the then Royal Indian Navy and were scared that in case it extended on to the Indian Army, it might lead to innumerable deaths in the English ranks. That is why they started hectic negotiations with the Indian National Congress to expedite the independence process. That is when these clandestine negotiations happened with Nehru and Gandhi for not only on the division of India with the creation of Pakistan, but also to make sure that Netaji never set foot on the Indian soil. Netaji was, at that time in the custody of the Soviets. It was Atlee (the British PM) who made sure that Netaji disappeared in Russia by pressurizing Stalin to do so. So, you see, we Indians first need to set right our history books.

Gandhi was a shrewd politician just like the womanizer Nehru. He was a traitor and deserved to die! Nathuram Godse did us a true favour!

Now, why has Narendra Modi chosen NOT to declassify all the archived files on Netaji??? Why this inept U-TURN by Modi? Absolutely foolish argument that it would tarnish relations with a few friendly countries today! Something bone-chilling is not being shared with the public. Something, which MUST be revealed. Modi is turning out to be an yet another Sonia!!!!!

1. Vibhor

M K Gandhi was not a shrewd politician, he was a humanitarian. J L Nehru was not just a womaniser, he maybe was fond of women yes but his other works ( as a freedom fighter, not his tenure as pm) is undoubtedly great. Nathuram Godse wasn’t a hero, he was a man lacking endurance.

2. Parul Bhatia

Please the read the Godse’s book.You have lots of misconceptions.

3. Parul Bhatia

I totally agree with you. I do NOT consider him as the father of the nation.

4. Parul Bhatia

I agree with ashok.

5. Vijay

One thing not clear – what did Godse exactly achieve by killing Gandhiji? The likes of Godse are good at attacking people that did something for the nation while leaving the hundreds of thousands of many trouble makers and illicit activities doers. Their heroism is only in front of noble and non-violent people. What hasn’t this coward Godse shoot the British General who formulated the partition process or the Muslim leader who is bent on a separate Muslim nation.

6. Vid

Britishers spared us freedom coz they were themselves broken after WWII. They did not have enough military ad resources left to continue their rule over India. WE did not fight and earn our independence. A large section of Indian population worked as soldiers in British Army. Truth is Indian people could never unite due to the widespread caste, community and religious differences to fight against British army. And British knew that Indians would never unite, ever. The only person who dared to fight was suppressed by its own people. No wonder even after years of independence most of the India still lives in a dark age. People still do not know whats right and wrong. Had Indian men fought against British and earned the independence, things would have been a lot different. In my opinion, Indian men are very coward, they can only fight among themselves and against women. Period.

11. kunal

This is not youth ki awaz, this is congress or congress slave AAP ki awaz.

12. Robinson Masih

According to government’s documents, Gandhi ji was not conferred with Fathe of Nation title, constitutionally.as the Constitution does not permit any titles Please check these
    links
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Constitution-doesnt-permit-Father-of-the-Nation-title-Government/articleshow/16961980.cms

13. Ravi

All those are brainwashed by RSS and its wings will definitly support Godse worship and even want everyone to follow his footsteps of violence. Saddly all these things are destroying the culture and values that we have held all these years of independance.Thanks for the news media getting it out.
    In the future if they are succeed again we will have women freedom taken away , we will be like Afganistan and Pakistan filled with voilence everyday of our lifes.

14. vanshika

Alex Brown’s “50 Guns” can add to it.

15. Piyush Tyagi

By far the worst article on this site. Please get your facts straight and just simply dont preach your ignorant views over this matter. Being a writer at youth ki awaaz bestows great responsibility over you. Should not waste it so by writing bullshit like this

16. Hemanth

yes i completely agree with you i never considered gandi as father of nation always
    i have considered only Netaji subash chandra bose as Father Of Nation

More from Bala Sai Kiran

By Priyanka Mishra

By Basanta Nirola