“Why Is Aamir Khan Such a Pretentious Prick?”

The language of the article has been retained to maintain originality of the piece.

By Heartranjan:

Once upon a time in India, Lagaan released.

The film was a smash hit, was sent as our choice for the Oscars (but couldn’t win, as the jury grew old and died during the interval) and Aamir Khan suddenly became the thinking man’s conscience. The guy who would never attend film awards because he didn’t believe in them, suddenly seemed to be jumping up and down the red carpet, promoting his film. But of course, he was doing it for the nation.

When Lagaan lost out to No Man’s Land, Aamir Khan told the press that the other film deserved to win. When I saw it, said Khan, I knew that it was better than ours. From that moment on, Aamir Khan has somehow projected and marketed himself as the voice of the nation/youth/continent/solar system.

And it’s fucking annoying.

*

Alright, so he chooses to do one movie at a time, reads his scripts, and does extensive preparation for it. But all that is fucking expected from an actor in the first place. Just because ours is a hare-brained industry, doesn’t make someone a goddamn Socrates.

A few months before the release of Rang De Basanti, Aamir Khan sat with the Narmada Bachao Andolan protesters to speak up for their rights. Since then, there has been no word of his involvement with the issue whatsoever.

He then made a film on Mangal Pandey, and has been on a Bhagat Singh trip since, telling the nation what’s right, and what’s offensive. In Taare Zameen Par, he showed us how we are all a cruel, insensitive nation that doesn’t know how to deal with special children. In 3 Idiots, he showed us what is wrong with our education system. In PK, he showed us the problems with religion and Godmen.

And tactful and insightful that our media is, we made him the voice of the nation. Aamir Khan tells the nation not to litter. Aamir Khan tells the nation to be nice to foreigners.

Aamir Khan is a thinking man. How? Because all his films have long shots of him staring into the distance, thinking about the welfare of the cosmos. Aamir Khan is a perfectionist. Why? Because he undergoes a physical transformation for every role (which, as any theatre actor will tell you, is the fucking basic thing to do. Also, he gets paid crores for every film). Aamir Khan is a socially aware star. How? Because he blogs about issues.

However, as we all know, even Vishwamitra’s penance was disturbed. So Aamir Khan, the ever-aware thinking man’s Gautam Buddha slipped out of character and blogged about Shah Rukh Khan licking his toes while he sat on his table.

And of course, there is Satyameva Jayate. Now, I personally have no problems with the show. A star like Aamir Khan talking about issues that we Indians never bother to speak about, is commendable. Kudos.

I also have no problem with him projecting himself as this new-age Carl Shehnanigan who tells the nation how to live – much of an actor’s image comes from this. It is no different from Salman Khan being the large-hearted bhai, Ranveer Singh being a horny guy, and Honey Singh the nation’s Mahalingam. I have no problems with that.

Look at my tears…so pure, so pristine. Just like my soul. Which is pure white. Just like the clouds there. I am the sun. Sun and clouds. Deep.

My only problem is with Aamir Khan’s opinions on other artists. You see, Mr. Perfectionist doesn’t give a fuck about other artists. His work is sublime and pure and unadulterated and heavenly. The rest can go fuck themselves.

Can you see the concern in my eyes? No? Well, that’s none of my concern. I am sensitive. I hope you can sense my sensitivity.

Take for example the controversy regarding 3 Idiots.

Now, even though Chetan Bhagat is the Rakhi Sawant of Indian literature, he wrote the book and sold millions, and no one can take that away from him. If you’ve read 5 Point Someone, and watched 3 Idiots, and you possess the IQ of a garden lizard, you’ll know that the film is more or less an adaptation of the book. However, since it is Bollywood (and fuck writers!), Bhagat wasn’t given opening credits. He raked up the issue and Vidhu Vinod Chopra asked a journalist to ‘Shut Up’. Which is at least an honest response.

Mr. Khan, however, using his special 8th Sense, somehow had it all figured out. He told Bhagat off in public, calling him a cheapskate who will do anything for publicity. Which is fine, till someone asked him if he’s read the book. To which his response was – ‘Ahem, no.’

How the fuck do you know that it isn’t an adaptation, if you haven’t even read the Goddamn book? But Aamir Khan, yo. Intellectual actor.

When he released Delhi Belly, he appeared on Aap Ki Adalat (that classy, artful show with a completely non-creepy looking host), and justified the language in the film. His logic was – the youth of the nation today talk in that manner. If you can not stand such language, please don’t watch the film. All good.

Now, the AIB controversy. Since our media has no fucking work, they went and asked Aamir Khan, the brahmaguru of wisdom, what he thought. Aamir Khan first looked at the sky, blinked seven times, sipped some water, and then gave out his thoughts. That the show was offensive, hurt people’s sentiments, blah blah blah.

But then, here’s the key – He hasn’t watched the fucking show.

If you haven’t watched the show, and someone randomly told you there were jokes on body shape, sexuality, and religion without providing any context, it’s the partial truth. You’re like the blind man of Hindustan who held the elephant’s ass and thought that’s what an elephant looks like.

But no. Aamir Khan ko kaun samjhaye? He is the voice of the cosmos.

The universe works in perfect motion because he approves of it. Every time Aamir Khan sheds a tear, a kid in Africa gets cured of AIDS.

It’s bloody annoying.

*

Dear Aamir Khan, this isn’t the 60s where you could do a few patriotic movies and become a national hero. The audience you deal with is thirty years younger to you, a completely different generation.

They understand subtleties, read between the lines, and can tell an actor from a chutiya. Just because you did regressive shit for 20 years, and suddenly conscience struck you like lightning, doesn’t mean the rest of the nation is a bunch of chimpanzees.

Also, like Russel Peters said, you are an actor. You appear on the set, mouth lines written by others, get numerous takes to perfect your craft, and get paid a bomb for it. Which is all fine.

But just like you’re an artist, there are others too. Who are attempting to make an honest living by pursuing what they think is art. If you really are an artist, at least have the fucking decency to look up their work before commenting.

Like I said, you’re not fooling anybody. This is a generation that sees through bullshit. And right now, for all your decades of carefully constructed PR, you come across as an ageing douchebag.

I hope you aren’t offended by this blog. But if you are, I hope you at least read it before getting offended.

This post was originally published in the author’s blog

Also read: 4 Reasons Why You Need To Stop Bullying Aamir Khan

1. Lipi Mehta

If there is one thing that Aamir Khan isn’t – it’s a “pretentious prick”. I find this blogpost baseless and it’s a rant more than anything else. I respect AK for taking a stand on LGBT issues, speaking relentlessly about women’s rights. Also, most of the points made by Heartranjan can be factually refuted. Moreover, AK never said the roast should be taken down, he said he didn’t like it. Yes, he used words like “violent” but it’s his opinion – he never said that this deserved the no. of FIRs and controversies that it has. Also, people banned Fanaa and burnt posters of PK and AK never went out bullying them all. He isn’t against free speech, he isn’t against how people want to express themselves! You guys at Youth Ki Awaaz are honestly my favourites, please publish something about the other side of the story as well. Thanks!

1. Voice of reason

And you dont see any hypocrisy in his opinion?

How can he say that AIB was Vulgar when he himself produced Delhi Belly, How can he call AIB roast violent, when Ghajani was one of the most violent movies made in recent times….

No one is saying that he has never worked for the society, no one is saying that he has not taken a stand, but just because you took a stand does not mean hypocrisy can be tolerated,

More importantly please read the article carefully, how can he comment on AIB roast without watching it, for example i cant certify you as ugly or beautiful as i never saw you, and you me…. that is the whole point of the article…

We tend to follow celebrities and get bling in their support, the purpose of this article was not say that Aamir is a bad actor , we should be happy to have atleast one socially conscious actor here. But having said that, it is really irresponsible and shameful for an actor of his stature to indulge in Hypocrisy and make such statements, more importantly on hear-say basis, that is very wrong and must be criticised

2. Voice of reason

We tend to follow celebrities and get blind in their support, the purpose of this article was not say that Aamir is a bad actor , we should be happy to have at least one socially conscious actor here. But having said that, it is really irresponsible and shameful for an actor of his stature to indulge in Hypocrisy and make such statements, more importantly on hear-say basis, that is very wrong and must be criticised

2. prashant arora

that was mind blowing dude!!
    i could feel the frustration you had because of the kind of hypocrisy he showed and so were most of us frustrated, annoyed and irked by that.
    in India, we people project a person like people have done to aamir khan as the voice of the nation(no doubt he is the most two faced person in bollywood)
    ISSE KEHTE HAI MUH TOD JAWAB
    kudos

3. Ducard

Aamir Khan is a sexist prick. His show Satyamev Jayate was only about women. He did not show that men’s lives are destroyed with false allegations of dowry, men are rotting in jail over fake cases of rape, men are accused of false cases of domestic violence, men are committing suicide twice the rate of women, men receive stricter sentences for the same crimes committed by women, media indulges in biased reporting, men face sexism, widespread misandry exists, men have to leave their seats for women, men are at the receiving end in family courts, men have to give alimony, men have to give half of their property during a divorce, men are used by women as drivers, porters, dildos, and ATMs.

1. Shruti

Cant tell if trolling…

2. Ducard

Aamir Khan used to be among my favourite actors, but I lost all respect for him after his show. He is a two-faced, bigoted liar. And the fact that he did not give Chetan Bhagat credit after stealing the plot from his book shows that he does not have any integrity, ethics, or morals – typical of feminists.

Aamir Khan made violence, especially domestic violence look like a one sided issue, while the fact remains that two-thirds of domestic violence is initiated by women. (And we are not even talking about fake cases of domestic violence filed by women). No wonder men commit suicide twice the rate of women. Of course, that was something Aamir would never highlight on his show.

As for dowry, a man in India is accused under 498A every 3 minutes. 98% of cases are false. More than three times as many men die due to dowry harassment at the hands of their wives. Why didn’t Aamir Khan highlight that on his show?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/Harassed-over-dowry-men-demand-fair-play/articleshow/5241108.cms

3. Ducard

Quite right. Don’t agree with a feminist, and you are a misogynist. It is like saying, either you are a feminist, or you are a misogynist. It is a cheap, shaming tactic used by feminists since decades, to cover up for their hypocrisy and double standards.

4. Jeniffer

Ducard, you are a misogynist.

5. Ducard

I am a misogynist for pointing out that more than three times as many men die due to dowry harassment at the hands of their wives, and that due to draconian laws men commit suicide twice the rate of women.

6. TheSeeker

A favourite tactic of all feminists when someone is against feminism. Keep it up.

7. Ducard

4. Mellinda Jajalla

This is just a rant, you know. And please, get rid off the unnecessary words (you’re too verbose!) <– i know this is a fallacy but really, your attempt at sounding intellectual only makes you look stupid 😉

5. Steph

I am going to play the devil’s advocate here but not really cuz to be honest, AK is my favorite mainstream actor.. now having said that I really thought the AIB roast was funnyyyyy which puts me in a bad place now cuz I know AK said that he didn’t like it… I understand when people say they think this is pretentious.. but I think some clarity is required here. I think (and this is just something I think so no actual base here) that when AK said he didn’t like the AIB roast he meant it in a very general way. That he didn’t like the general idea of people getting together and screaming vulgarities at each other, describing violence, making fat jokes, degrading women, and degrading relationships. I think all these things are wrong too, although I think in situations like this it is the intent that matters. The intent of AIB was not malicious, the parties present there understood and had a full opportunity to back out of this roast. They agreed to let this happen to them and that’s where the difference lies. I think what AK was trying to say was that, as a society, in the name of free speech to people who may not be as socially aware and intelligent, it is important to relay that what happened at that roast is not OK if it happened anywhere else. And that’s the important issue. Now having said that, I think AK’s PR team should clarify what he exactly meant when he said that, but this is what I felt he meant. I understand that this post is bashing him for being intelligent, and socially pro-active which I think is extremely distasteful for youth ki awaaz… I mean come on, you are going to condemn somebody for selling a brand they’ve created for themselves, what you think just cuz someone preaches something and is not 100% on the go about it, they should be crucified. How many times has Salman Khan worn a ‘being human’ tshirt and done something that would, by most of the educated public seen as not the optimal ‘being human’ thing to do.. I am not a certain actor hater, I am just saying if salman can be the biceps, srk can be the heart, then why can’t AK be the brain, God knows he has earned his place.. Now I understand chetan bhagat did not receive opening credits… boo hoo so sad.. I am pretty sure my IQ is more than a lizard’s (but hey who knows) I’ve watched 3 idiot multiple times and read 5-point someone. I admired both works and yes there are similarities but there is also lot of differences in the stories!! I think compared to two states, 3 idiots was a lot different than 5-point someone and lets face it anyone who follows bhagat on fb should know that he is also very gyan distributing type and if he was any less pretentious than AK he should have not made not getting the ‘opening’ credits such a big deal. Overall I find this article very partial, instead of just presenting a solid case.. by repeatedly calling AK a douchebag for a statement he made whereas undermining all the efforts he has made is just unclassy (that’s not a word, I know but whatever) I am not saying he is perfect, but my other options aren’t either, so if anyone asks me who one of my favorite mainstream Bollywood actors are, sorry but not sorry I’ll be replying AK 🙂

6. neetika

WHATEVER happened to aamirs freedom 9f expression … this is a stupid article … if he speaks what u think is ok then he is socrates ..if not ..a prick … does go a long way in defining who u are .. i think this nation has more to worry about than AIB

7. Mariya Pillai

Heartranjan, you badly need to grow up. Are u really focusing on What Amir Khan has to say. If you really have time why don’t you invest in other issues. You can’t force anyone to like the show. Dude grow up!!

8. pari

refer this link
    http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2015/02/aamir-khan-aib-roast/
    an appropriate ans to above post

9. shenoy

here’s more reason why Aamir Khan is NOT a pretentious prick: http://schrodingersbekku.blogspot.in/2015/03/aamir-khan-is-not-pretentious-prick.html

10. Jonathan Old

What bullshit.
    This article lacks appropriate language and proper proof, most of the so-called facts are half-invented.

I think the authos is seeking for attention, and since provocative topics get clicks, YKA joins – I cannot hide my disappointment.

By Hemraj P

By Vaishnavi Navalkar

By Divya Chopra