This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Susmita A.. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Is The Criticism Of A Religion Cause Enough To Be Hacked To Death?

More from Susmita A.

By Susmita Abani:

So much blood, everywhere. It’s like the vivid red at the centre of our flag has seeped through to its four green corners representing what once was our lush land and liberated country.

News of Avijit Roy’s death has left me thoroughly dismayed. A Bangladeshi-born engineer, writer, secularist and expatriate – Roy’s identities resonate with so much of myself, that I feel a small part of my resolve to defend freedom of expression has died with him. My mind is forever imprinted with images of his injured wife, Rafida Ahmed, standing defenceless in blood soaked clothes as her husband’s mutilated body lies next to her. His crime? Being beautifully articulate, incredibly brave, a champion of reason and devoid of religiosity.

avijit roy

The UN Declaration of Human Rights, Article 18, states “Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief.” But this seemingly self-explanatory declaration is often a subject of intense controversy. Some believe that freedom of expression should be boundless, while others assume that any offensive expression should be strictly moderated, and even brutally punished.

The reason religion is often criticised is because it claims infallibility, and full control over our actions. We have all been gifted with the faculty of reasoning – and it seems only logical to utilise that ability to objectively analyse any ideology before accepting its premises. Roy’s work didn’t resort to the baseless smearing of Islam – but drew upon research and references, facts and figures to support his views. What extremists, and even some moderate Muslims, believed was an affront to their religion, should actually have encouraged them to study their faith. By simply dismissing any criticism of Islam as bigoted or Islamophobic, is irresponsible and uninformed.

What one finds personally “offensive” shouldn’t take precedence over a factual discourse. As a practitioner of Islam, the least one can do is read and understand the contents of its scriptures; acknowledge that its verses are tinged with a historical context not fully compatible with modern, egalitarian values and address this important issue!

Ali A. Rizvi, in his Huffington Post article, stated that rather than “cherry-picking” the better aspects of religion and ignoring the more questionable elements, a more constructive approach for all Muslims to take would involve “[being] honest about the parts [they] don’t like… [and] protect [their] people first instead of jumping to protect [their] beliefs, books or religion every time someone driven by them commits mass murder”. By exempting religion from discussion, we undermine the strength of intellectual dissent – which has allowed humanity to make significant strides against many discriminatory practices. Islam was founded in an era when empires were propagated by conquest, and it’s inexcusable to suggest that this reality never affected its teachings on war, infidels, prisoners, martyrdom, apostates, women, orphans and the treatment of minorities.

It’s within everyone’s right to evaluate whether a system of beliefs is working for the society, or if it can be easily misconstrued by extremists who inflict harm on others. And that is the beauty of freedom of expression. It allows for an equal and opposing dialogue: a cartoon for a cartoon, an essay for an essay, an article for an article. If you’re offended, you’re free to argue, but preventing another from doing so is a violation of a basic human right.

Bangladesh serves as a microcosm of the current divided world, where in order to preserve liberal and secularist values, the reigning political players are stifling the natural course of democracy, and ultimately embodying the authoritarian way of government they were trying to avoid. These approaches by the West, and by Awami League in Bangladesh, have been reactive rather than preventative. They use the cruelty of Islamists to demonstrate the superiority of their own values, while ignoring any faults of their own. In such politically charged environments, only innocents such as Avijit Roy pay the price.

There is no offense great enough to justify his heinous murder. The need to speak out has never been higher, or else we risk losing the peaceful existence we’re constantly striving for. If nobody questioned and debated their surroundings, there would be no religion in the first place – freedom of expression has been humankind’s way of progress since the birth of our species, and to undermine this right does a huge disservice to our continuous evolution.

1. Ducard

Another western bootlicker who reeks of the brown slave mentality. Where were you when the U.S. slaughtered Muslims in Somalia, Sudan, Panama, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and a host of other countries. Where are people like you when the U.S. kills Muslims, sheds their blood, rapes their women, takes their land, mocks their religion, destroys their livelihood, and slaughters their children.

http://youtu.be/HOrrOu8uV8o

1. Susmita Abani

I don’t disagree with any of these things you’ve posted. I’ve also written about the audacity of Western imperialism and military intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan, and about Israel in another article. I no doubt deny that innocent Muslims have been persecuted in unforgivable ways for no reason in many countries like you said. Even in this article I’ve mentioned that Bangladesh, like the West, have suppressed opposing groups unfairly. And ironically, Muslims have suffered in the hands of Islamists more than any other group.

None of the things you’ve mentioned nullify my points. You’ve just blamed other extremist religious groups, which proves my own point. Just because people from other religions have done bad things, that doesn’t offset what Islamists have done. And once again, you’ve ignored what’s actually written in scriptures completely.

If you value humanity so much like you claim to, learn to acknowledge all crimes against humanity as being equal, and not use them to keep score between Islam and other religions. This isn’t a competition to see who’s done better or worse in the terrorism department.

Thanks.

2. Fedup

Pretty sure now that you are paid for trolling.

Another thing I am sure is that there is not one redeeming quality when it comes to you/your comments. All you have ever done on this site is to be irrelevant and spew hatred. Interestingly on every topic.

What are you man!?. I am happy that I have never met you and have the good fortune of never meeting you in future too. I hope you do not marry/breed and influence.

2. Ducard

Article by John Pilger:

For centuries now, Christian nations have been busy beating up one Muslim nation or another. In the Middle Ages they came as crusaders. Then they colonized many Muslim countries and tried to destroy their cultures and religion. During their struggle for independence some Muslims had to suffer terrible violence. The French killed about a million Muslims in Algeria because they wanted independence. In Lebanon, when Christians were in the majority there was war, but when Muslims became the majority there was peace except in the South of the country where Christians helped a foreign enemy against their own countrymen.

What will the Christian be if the tables were turned and their lands were first colonized by Muslims and then bombed or maligned or ethnically cleansed? If the past is any guide, the answer is clear: There will be a vicious reaction and given the chance an attempt at almost total destruction of the Muslims. For in Spain Muslims lived for about 850 years as rulers. They lived with Jews and Christians for the most part in a spirit of tolerance and cooperation in promoting science and culture to the point that their work prepared for the modern scientific revolution with all its benefits for mankind. But the moment Muslims became weaker, the hate in the Christian heart came out with a vengeance. Muslims were either killed, converted, or forced to leave Spain and their heritage was as fully destroyed as was humanly possible. Before Palestine and Kosovo, there was Spain.

Above, I have mentioned only what the Christian nations have been doing or are doing to the Muslims. But when we look at what they have done to each other or to other people any validity in their claim of being people of love and peace vanishes. The horrible treatment of the heretics and witches in the Middle Ages probably inspired the tyrants of later centuries. The native peoples of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand bear a tragic witness to what Christian nations can do to other nations and with the blessings and assistance of Christian churches. In this century alone the Western nations have fought two world wars with tens of millions dead and untold misery for the living. For each victory in these two wars the church bells rang in the victorious countries.

http://youtu.be/Sj7VDMJZB_s

3. Ducard

Hidden genocide of Burmese Muslims by Buddhist terrorists

http://youtu.be/dSkZlgk76-E

4. Ducard

At Guantanamo Bay, innocent victims are tortured, abused, sodomized, forced to listen to blaring music on headphones while they are handcuffed for hours on end, given food to eat you would not feed animals, bitten by dogs, urinated upon, deprived of sleep for hours, kept in complete isolation, whipped, beaten with rods and cables, and some techniques too horrible to even describe. All the torture techniques are sanctioned by the U.S. government.

http://youtu.be/ONodd9PQgHE

5. Ducard

Obama droned Pakistan to kill thousands of innocent civilians and terrorize hundreds of thousands in North Warizistan to maim and murder, and send them in a frenzy of anxiety. Imagine living when drones are flying over your head twenty-four hours, not knowing when one would end your life. It remains a fact that 98% of victims in drone attacks were innocent civilians, as the sole intent behind the deadly act was to terrorize, maim, and murder.

http://youtu.be/6yMOzvmgVhc

1. ItsJustMe

Why do these people shelter known Jihadis? It is always about when USA bombed and how many children died. They know first hand that there are Jihadis in their locality. Instead of turning them in they welcome these people like heroes. That very moment they put their children in danger. It is not on USA, but on these religious fanatics who believe theirs is the only god and fight to bring the whole world under their religion and kill the non believers. What about millions jihadis are killing around the world. It is normal for us now. Only nations bombing terrorists and countries which help them is abnormal and evil. Terrorist kill thats what they do. 98% of all terrorists in the world follow the faith Islam, 98%!!!!!!. Does that mean USA is responsible for the terrorist attacks? At least USA is doing what most countries have no balls to do. If they have started a little early world would have been a better place by now. Because it really will be better without these animals who kill in the name of their evil god who no one other than themselves understand. How come known terrorists like Bin Laden, Hafiz Sayed and all roamed freely in Pakistan which is supposedly USAs ally in war against terror. Because the local people like these terrorists and hail them as heroes and are ready to die for them.So let them die. Their kids go to madrasas and learn the same satanic verses that created terrorists for so long. It is better for the world that they die young with their evil parents than dying by blowing themselves up and killing innocents 15 years from then

More from Susmita A.

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Raj Iyre

By Yash Johri